• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatdashing correctly: the advanced movement option

Snacks

Inkling
NNID
Snacks
It is not for going thorugh your own ink, it is for going through unclaimed or enemy territory, so it being slower than going through ink trails is irrelevant
I think you misunderstood. When I say ink trails I mean making them as you move as a form of transportation, not that they are already there on the ground.

There still is no proof that sdash is faster than this form of transportation, like I pointed out in my post, so I don't know how you can continue to make this claim.

Youngster Skaymore

Full Squid
NNID
EganGR
I think you misunderstood. When I say ink trails I mean making them as you move as a form of transportation, not that they are already there on the ground.

There still is no proof that sdash is faster than this form of transportation, like I pointed out in my post, so I don't know how you can continue to make this claim.
various people have tested it, AND splatdashing is almost as fast as swimming since you keep your momentum. Swimming is definitely faster than shooting and then swimming, and splatdashing is almost as fast as swimming. Trust me, Ive also tried it myself, splatdashing is definitely faster.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I said it before and I'll say it again since these arguments are going nowhere.

People are not against splatdashing because they think speed is unimportant or unneeded. These are not the things you should be trying to prove in your counter arguments.

The main reason is because there is no proof that it is the fastest way to get around. It was tested by me and others, even the guy who made the video for the fastest way to splatdash, and we all came to the conclusion that ink trails are just as fast if not faster than splatdashing. And if they are just as fast, there is no reason to splatdash since ink trails have a lot more pros in other areas to make them the better choice.

Whether or not getting to mid fast is a "HUUUUUGE ADVANTAGE" can be left for another thread about the meta in general once the game actually comes out, that's not the topic here. If you want to prove that splatdashing is viable, I want to see a properly timed proof with optimised ink trails as well as optimised splatdash. After seeing what FunkyLobster thought an optimised ink trail looked like I get the feeling that possibly the rest of you are terrible misinformed on ink trails movement potential as well, which is why some of you think so highly of splatdash and ignorantly claim that there is no way ink trails can be faster; because you were doing it wrong to begin with.
Even if ink and swimming is about the same speed as s-dashing, it may be better to dash. There's a lot more maneuverability to the technique. Once you spray a trail you have to swim along that rail. A chnage in direction takes a lot longer than with splat dashing, where you just have to change where your next shot is.

CalmAppleSnake

Inkling
So I did some sciences and recorded some of it to time it correctly. Sadly this was a week ago in the tutorial section when the Testfire was already over, so some of it isn't a 100% accurate (because of the Ink). I tested splatthopping/dashing, running and swimming (aswell as stealth swimming and shift canceling turning/normal turning but that isn't really part of the discussion here :P). Like the rest of you guys I came to the conclusion that splatdashing is faster than splatthopping (Yay, evidence!).

Unfortunatly I wasn't able to test and record the whole „shooting and ink trail following“ thing but from my expierence so far in the live game it seems to be as fast as splatdashing. I'm not quite sure that splatdashing is dead yet. Like Wydra mentioned it might be better maneuverability but we'll have to see how useful that can be. More research is required :)!

So for anyone who is interessted here is the video:

And for anyone who only wants to see my recorded times you can find them in this thread: http://squidboards.com/threads/splatoon-advanced-movement-research-video-data-in-text-form.1511/

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
If spraying + swimming and splatdashing have equal speeds like people are saying, than splatdashing wins out since it uses less ink.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Maybe longer testing is required. Just saying the only people who can keep up with me hen i splat dash and hop are he others who do. It's not like the people who don't instantly fall behind, but they never get to mid/north etc as fast as the s-dashers.

Colgate

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
Splatdashing certainly seems situational, but for quick movement under pressure I'd say it can work, because in enemy territory sometimes you only have a bit of ink left.

JJ the Splattershotter

Squid Eater Captain
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
Really late responding to this, but whatever.

I discovered this very quickly on my own, and have made good use of it. However, I must ask... should we consider this splatdashing? Or should we call it something more fitting for its shorter bursts, like splat-trotting? I think that's a valid question.

Life

Senior Squid
I've been trying to rename it Inkwalking and it doesn't seem to be catching on.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Really late responding to this, but whatever.

I discovered this very quickly on my own, and have made good use of it. However, I must ask... should we consider this splatdashing? Or should we call it something more fitting for its shorter bursts, like splat-trotting? I think that's a valid question.
It really doesn't matter unless a similar technique comes out along with it. But I do think we should all settle on one name because sometimes I get really confused about what people are talking about. Splatdashing, splattrotting, some other third name, idc.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I feel like I should start recording some matches with y camera to show all the times splatdashing has saved and lengthened my life, on top of the times its gotten me places first/fastest.

It really doesn't matter unless a similar technique comes out along with it. But I do think we should all settle on one name because sometimes I get really confused about what people are talking about. Splatdashing, splattrotting, some other third name, idc.
We kind of already did settle on spatdashing. That's what the OP named it and the majority of people don't mind the name so that's what we're calling it. Chances are that's what the name shall remain.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
We kind of already did settle on spatdashing. That's what the OP named it and the majority of people don't mind the name so that's what we're calling it. Chances are that's what the name shall remain.
Good, cuz I'd seen people around some of the Fbook groups go with trotting etc. but I'll try to just stick with splatdashing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom