• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatdashing correctly: the advanced movement option

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
this thread is going to be a lot of fun reading a year or so from now when sdashes/hops are either cemented in the meta or a better movement tech is discovered

it's like looking at the old swf thread for wavedashing, or at the time "mad dashing."

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
I'm afraid that the road to point B needs inking to. And splatterdashing isn't faster, I dare say it's a little slower but I have no means to test that.

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
You know what? I'm gonna try and record my movement at the next testfire. I can only film the screen though so quality will be low but I hope I can properly show you what I mean.

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
I'm afraid that the road to point B needs inking to. And splatterdashing isn't faster, I dare say it's a little slower but I have no means to test that.
This is getting a little ridiculous. It's like you keep forgetting that this is a team game. The whole point is for a part of your team to get to from point A to point B faster in order to start inking up point B before the other team gets there. While they are doing this the other part of the team is inking up spawn/base/moving towards point B while properly inking up territory. Therefore, theoretically, more ground is covered faster and your team gains positional advantage and coverage % advantage before the other team.

Whether that movement method is actually the fastest way or not, we'll know for sure once we have the game in our hands and people start practicing. But the theory (half of your team sacrifices ink coverage in one area in order to quickly advance into high-value neutral territory while the other half of your team inks up spawn/base) is sound.

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
Seriously doesn't anyone read my guide?! I've written a guide on what EVERYONE should be doing in the beginning and even why your strategy is rubbish. I will not repeat it here. You are still approaching this as if it's a standard shooter. Well if you do that then blitzkrieg is the only effective strategy

Turf war is a ladder.
Many who try to swim in it drown, never get to try again
The ink breaks them
And some are givin' a chance to swim
But they refuse, they cling to strategy splatterdashing or teamwork.
Illusions!
Only the turf is real.
The turf is all there is.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Seriously doesn't anyone read my guide?! I've written a guide on what EVERYONE should be doing in the beginning and even why your strategy is rubbish. I will not repeat it here. You are still approaching this as if it's a standard shooter. Well if you do that then blitzkrieg is the only effective strategy

Turf war is a ladder.
Many who try to swim in it drown, never get to try again
The ink breaks them
And some are givin' a chance to swim
But they refuse, they cling to strategy splatterdashing or teamwork.
Illusions!
Only the turf is real.
The turf is all there is.

he's gone mad

Snacks

Inkling
NNID
Snacks
Even though I support it as a movement option, the claims some of you guys are making to glorify it are kind of questionable. We know absolutely nothing about the general meta, what objectives are most important and which strategies are the strongest. You can't claim that getting to mid first is going to give your team an advantage, you can't claim that covering an area first and holding it is going to be an effective use of your time. In fact, most of the games I played during the testfire every area was getting swapped between teams at least 2-4 times per match, there is no guarantee that having inked that area first will do any good if you just get killed while trying to defend it.

Technically, being the first player to ink clean ground is only 50% effective, because you only gain points for your team while not affecting the enemy. But inking the ground second means you are not only getting points for your team, but deducting from the enemy. Which is why for me, I think if you are on clean ground, sdashing is probably the way to go since that area is variable, and will get covered by one team or another. But if the ground is inked, shooting in a line normally is going to be how you should get around, because its not like the enemy ink you are ignoring by not doing this is any less valuable than the inked area you are spotdashing toward. Priorities on what is important in a match is still up in the air, which is why basing the argument for tech on priorities that might not even be true is not a good way to defend your stance.

The only pro to this technique is speed, and that is what needs to be proved, not why you think speed is needed over turf in the inexistant meta. Those sorts of reasons will form themselves as the game develops and when actual strategies are developed.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
alright, think of it like this; optimizing your movement is crucial for map control. how, and why?

you want to get to where you need to be fast, so that you can save time for doing it again. for example, if you see someone taking an area such as north or south in saltspray by coating it in their ink, you need to get there as fast as possible, so that when you reclaim it, you'll have time to reclaim the next area that's been taken, like square or snakes. if you can outmaneuver the other players, you can deny that area from them and keep it for yourself. in addition to having knowledge and skill in dm and positioning, movement is a crucial skill in shooters, but especially splatoon. if you were to just superjump to that area, that telegraphs your position to the other team and you don't cover ink along the way. if you were to just walk there or do something more basic, well that works too, but it's wasting time. let's say that if you s-hop and sdash from spawn to mid and make it there in 10 seconds, and walking there takes 20, that's 10 seconds saved. you can frag probably the entire other team in that time span, they'll respawn in around 4 to 5 seconds, and take another 10 or 20 seconds to get back to where they were, to give you an idea on how major that is. the more time you save, the more time you have to coat the map in your ink without hindrance. this is why techniques like rocketjumping in games like quake and tf2 are so emphasized; optimizing your movement is optimizing your time, and optimizing your time is optimizing your game.

will these techs be useful in the long run? we'll have to see, yeah, and i'm not going to put all my eggs in this one basket. but it's just absurd to look at this and say "hm... no. that's not very useful," especially considering how applicable these techniques are. you can s-hop and sdash literally around the entire map, and at any given time. you can use it to get out of a fight gone wrong, and you can use it to rollout to mid, you can use it as a shortcut through areas, etc...

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
you know, even if it was deliberately placed in the game, that doesn't invalidate its status as a technique to be used by serious players
Calling yourself a "serious player" just because you want to use a "technique" is... Well, lets just say you have such a bad attitude.

It is so weird. Why can't you be a little bit more respectful?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Calling yourself a "serious player" just because you want to use a "technique" is... Well, lets just say you have such a bad attitude.

eh? i'm not really sure what's so curt about that

i would imagine anyone wanting to supercharge their play with a technique considers themselves a serious player. i didn't mean to imply that casual play is inferior to competitive play, if that's what you mistook that sentence for

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
Wow! does this mean that i'm no longer a lone wolf in team "Splatterdashing isn't useful?"
I think it has its uses especially the covertness, ink saving and spreading technique it gives you. Once a player masters this they will be able to spread ink around enemy inklings while in direct L.O.F and still come out on top. Even in the video in the original post I had to watch it 2 or 3 times to understand where the purple inkling went.

Smooth Criminal

Full Squid

I didn't take it that way at all. I was just clarifying my stance after the fact, not viciously rebutting them. This splatdashing business is a technique in the sense that it's a way to optimize movement. It's not some weird wiggy physics exploit or glitch in my eyes, which is what a lot of people are taking away from this.

That's all. I think this kinda stuff is cool tbh.

...but I agree with @Snacks. We don't know what the hell the game is gonna look like yet in any sense, let alone casually. Let's allow it to gestate a bit. This is a good start, though.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
Okay this is something I need to have explained because clearly I' m not as wise as I thought.

Splatterdashing: Move fast, leave very little ink.
Regular movement: Move just as fast, Leave a huge inktrail.

Explain how the top one is better.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Okay this is something I need to have explained because clearly I' m not as wise as I thought.

Splatterdashing: Move fast, leave very little ink.
Regular movement: Move just as fast, Leave a huge inktrail.

Explain how the top one is better.
because that's not true... at all

sdashes and s-hops are substantially faster than regular movement or standing still to spray ink and then swimming up it. as of right now, it's the most optimized form of movement we know of. and if you get to point a to point b fast enough, you can outrace the other team and claim territory faster and surprise them, which leads to easier splats. the faster you get to where you want, the more of an advantage you have. think of it like long term benefits, and regular movement as short term benefits.

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
And I say if you really think Sdashes are faster you havent got regular movement down right. I say this because I look at the footage and I know I' m faster and more efficiënt then that. You probably ink your feet or something or don't ride the line all the way. I see a lot of footage online where people do both these things. Look at andre ś footage. He is NOT Sdashing He lays a small line and inks through it but even he doesn't squid far enough through the line.He stops before the end to shoot again. This is wasteful because you ink a small spot twice. (Yes I am saying I move faster then André inhis videoś)

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
Also who said anything about standing still? And another big bonus is if you move regularly (but efficiëntly) you will have your special charged before you even encounter your first opponent. If you really can't see the tremendous advantage that gives I don't know what will.

Last edited:

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
It's funny how much effort you put in saying you're right about the general strategy we should all use in Turf War while you have at most 3 hours of playtime online, on a very limited version of the demo.
Just let the meta build up before bringing any conclusion based on theories, and before everything else, we haven't seen anything close to peak level gameplay.

redadil4

Inkster Jr.
NNID
leatherbelt
So based on me reading your description, you don't actually have to jump to be able to do this. it's pretty much just moving forward and switching from inking and squid form. Its weird because in the first 5 seconds of you video it looks like you're jumping or am I just seeing it wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom