• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatdashing correctly: the advanced movement option

GalaxyBearZz

Inkling
NNID
GalaxyBearZ
well, splatoon is about covering the map with ink, and if you're fast enough to get to the place before other players or fast enough to counteract them, don't you think that would help?
I see what you would mean about the games goal of spreading the ink however i have noticed that if you move to quickly you will end up dieing quicker as well. Meaning more time spent in respawns then covering the board with paint.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
No. Just.... No...

You'll get to the center quicker, meaning more kills, meaning more time, meaning more paint. There's no such thing as moving too quickly. Quicker is always better in Splatoon. If you're unskilled, then of course you'll get splatted in no time flat. No offense to you, or anything.

GalaxyBearZz

Inkling
NNID
GalaxyBearZ
No. Just.... No...

You'll get to the center quicker, meaning more kills, meaning more time, meaning more paint. There's no such thing as moving too quickly. Quicker is always better in Splatoon. If you're unskilled, then of course you'll get splatted in no time flat. No offense to you, or anything.
There would be no offense taken. Im a competitive call of duty player and in no way shape or form am i saying that quick isn't good however other strategies will work better then just bum rushing the middle

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
....and so does the enemy team that's not bothering to make it to the center just yet. However the big difference is that they'll have more ink on the ground to protect themselves with in case of conflict. The team that rushes into the center would be setting themselves little to no fallback support from the ink they layed down. Not to mention that the team that inked more will also get their special weapons quicker, having more viable means to defeat the team who chose mobility as a priority.
Who said the entire team rushes to the middle?

I don't think people are really thinking about this correctly. There will be times when sacrificing coverage for speed will be important. Whether inkdashing is the fastest form of movement or not is irrelevant. Maybe it will be maybe it won't be. But if one or two of my team members can get to the north of saltspray rig before your team, while two or three of my team is inking up spawn and beyond, then my team will have the positional and percentage advantage because we were faster.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
Guns with a seeker sub will be the quickest way to center stage imo. You don't have to waste time painting your line of travel and you recover all the paint used while swimming behind it. I have been watching a couple of Splatoon speed runners make great use of the seeker and it definitely feels like the fastest option for movement currently. Teams could have a dedicated weapon with a seeker sub to set a path for the team while the one that used the seeker stays behind and paint the spawn. Depending on the map it may take a couple of seekers to reach center stage so you could have a non-seeker stay behind to paint spawn while everyone else follows the seeker path. I know this has nothing to do with splatdashing but the general idea of this thread is reaching areas the fastest and this has not been mentioned.

Here is some good examples of it being used 1:24:25-1:25:40. This video does have story mode spoilers though.
38:50-39:10 is also a really good example of seeker so I marked the video there.

Last edited:

ThisFungi

8-bit crazy!
Who said the entire team rushes to the middle?

I don't think people are really thinking about this correctly. There will be times when sacrificing coverage for speed will be important. Whether inkdashing is the fastest form of movement or not is irrelevant. Maybe it will be maybe it won't be. But if one or two of my team members can get to the north of saltspray rig before your team, while two or three of my team is inking up spawn and beyond, then my team will have the positional and percentage advantage because we were faster.
Not necessarily. Two/Three team members will still cover ground much slower than four. Considering the other portion of the team won't rush, that would leave them still inking the rest of the ground in order to have a barely adequate amount of fallback ink for the other portion of the team that charged into the center. By the time they would be done the other team would already make an attempt at going for the middle with a higher ink amount to work with, special weapons at their disposal and a higher player count. This in turn leaves the center players at a huge disadvantage.

If speed is what a player thinks is necessary then choose a class that is built for that type of gameplay (Like the AeroSpray MG w/Seeker). Just don't sacrifice ink for a pseudo gain that isn't worth the risk.

Youngster Skaymore

Full Squid
NNID
EganGR
Everyone who is saying that moving regularly is just as fast as splatter dashing is being SO IGNORANT! Many people have tested in the testfires, and splatter dashing is faster than splatter hopping which is gaster than movin regularly. Splatter dashing has almost the same speed as swimming, while moving regularly is walking then swimming. Splatter dashing is faster, and if you disagree, that's not an opinion, it's just plain wrong.

Now, as for its utility, that is up for debate. Splatter dashing is faster but spreads less ink. Moving regularly is slower but spreads more ink (these are facts). The way I see it, splatter dashing is good if you want to get to the main area of a map quickly in the beginning of a match. Ex: if you get to the middle of salt spray rig first, you can have the uphill and defend it from enemies and the rest of your teammates can ink the floor. It is also good for escaping from enemies when you are trapped in their ink.

Youngster Skaymore

Full Squid
NNID
EganGR
Not necessarily. Two/Three team members will still cover ground much slower than four. Considering the other portion of the team won't rush, that would leave them still inking the rest of the ground in order to have a barely adequate amount of fallback ink for the other portion of the team that charged into the center. By the time they would be done the other team would already make an attempt at going for the middle with a higher ink amount to work with, special weapons at their disposal and a higher player count. This in turn leaves the center players at a huge disadvantage.

If speed is what a player thinks is necessary then choose a class that is built for that type of gameplay (Like the AeroSpray MG w/Seeker). Just don't sacrifice ink for a pseudo gain that isn't worth the risk.
But if you get to the top of salt spray rig FASTER, than you can defend it and maintain that area with your ink, and considering that area has a lot of space, that will definitely help your team win. This game isn't just "spread ink as fast as you can". While spreading ink is the premise, there is defnitely strategy involved.
Even if you don't think going to the middle is advantageous (which it is), moving as fast as you can will definitely be advantageous in some situations. So splat dashing, or whatever other technique ends up being fastest, is definitely beneficial and not useless

ThisFungi

8-bit crazy!
Going to the center the fastest isn't an advantage if the enemy team is well prepared. A player that can catch a position quickly can also lose it quickly, especially with an outnumbered team. That's why having more ink outside of the center is a good idea. It provides more maneuvering options to the player who wants to get to (and escape from) the center.

Splatdashing on the other hand would negate that. It also benefits one player only. Inking the ground and swimming in it normally can provide more cover for other teammates and the player.

Setu

Everyone who is saying that moving regularly is just as fast as splatter dashing is being SO IGNORANT! Many people have tested in the testfires, and splatter dashing is faster than splatter hopping which is gaster than movin regularly. Splatter dashing has almost the same speed as swimming, while moving regularly is walking then swimming. Splatter dashing is faster, and if you disagree, that's not an opinion, it's just plain wrong.

Now, as for its utility, that is up for debate. Splatter dashing is faster but spreads less ink. Moving regularly is slower but spreads more ink (these are facts). The way I see it, splatter dashing is good if you want to get to the main area of a map quickly in the beginning of a match. Ex: if you get to the middle of salt spray rig first, you can have the uphill and defend it from enemies and the rest of your teammates can ink the floor. It is also good for escaping from enemies when you are trapped in their ink.
I think the people who are thinking "ignorantly" are actually thinking realistically. They are thinking of how this could possibly be useful in context in battles(which should have a clear distinction that it may or may not be useful indifferent modes, which people seem to be forgetting). Thinking realistically, "splat dashing" is simply just pressing ZR and ZL in a simple and extraordinarily easy rhythm, so I would never even THINK about it being considered "advanced", let alone a "tech". Those that are saying that there is a use for it(besides speedrunning) are just in their own little dream thinking that "splat dashing" is either going to be applied similarly to techs in smash bros(a fighting game), or are hoping that the ability to perform this "advanced technique" will differentiate a competitive player from a casual player(which is definitely false since anyone can become fluent with "splat dashing" within 30 minutes of practice). Also, I don't find it useful whatsoever since it just leaves hardly any painted space for combat(which will often times determine the winner in little 1v1 battles during matches) which will most likely not be useful in splat zone, tower defense, and definitely not turf war. About speed, You must remember that it is just as difficult to cover neutral area as it is enemy area, as well as the fact that it isn't about who covers the area first, but is about the end result.

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
I think this whole problem can be solved if everyone just says honestly whether they won or lost using their strategyś during the testfires and by how much. Points, kills and counter kills and so-on. If we do that a pattern "might" emerge which we then can analyse. Now it' s just circletalk without evidence backing anything up.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I think this whole problem can be solved if everyone just says honestly whether they won or lost using their strategyś during the testfires and by how much. Points, kills and counter kills and so-on. If we do that a pattern "might" emerge which we then can analyse. Now it' s just circletalk without evidence backing anything up.
yeah this thread is just getting really circular at this point. a lot of people are making the same arguments that it either won't be the fastest or that being fast isn't useful, without really looking at the counterarguments already made on the previous pages.

Youngster Skaymore

Full Squid
NNID
EganGR
I think the people who are thinking "ignorantly" are actually thinking realistically. They are thinking of how this could possibly be useful in context in battles(which should have a clear distinction that it may or may not be useful indifferent modes, which people seem to be forgetting). Thinking realistically, "splat dashing" is simply just pressing ZR and ZL in a simple and extraordinarily easy rhythm, so I would never even THINK about it being considered "advanced", let alone a "tech". Those that are saying that there is a use for it(besides speedrunning) are just in their own little dream thinking that "splat dashing" is either going to be applied similarly to techs in smash bros(a fighting game), or are hoping that the ability to perform this "advanced technique" will differentiate a competitive player from a casual player(which is definitely false since anyone can become fluent with "splat dashing" within 30 minutes of practice). Also, I don't find it useful whatsoever since it just leaves hardly any painted space for combat(which will often times determine the winner in little 1v1 battles during matches) which will most likely not be useful in splat zone, tower defense, and definitely not turf war. About speed, You must remember that it is just as difficult to cover neutral area as it is enemy area, as well as the fact that it isn't about who covers the area first, but is about the end result.
I never said anything about it being "advanced". Also I don't know by what definition you think a technique is, but it is definitely a technique. As for who I said was being ignorant, I wasn't talking about people who were saying it's not useful in battle. While I think it is useful in battle, when I said people were being ignorant I meant the people who claimed that walking inking and swimming is just as fast as splatterdashing because as I said before, it is the definitely fastest moving technique we know of so far.

Setu

I never said anything about it being "advanced". Also I don't know by what definition you think a technique is, but it is definitely a technique. As for who I said was being ignorant, I wasn't talking about people who were saying it's not useful in battle. While I think it is useful in battle, when I said people were being ignorant I meant the people who claimed that walking inking and swimming is just as fast as splatterdashing because as I said before, it is the definitely fastest moving technique we know of so far.
1. The thread has the title being an "advanced movement option", and I wasn't specifically directing it towards your comment.
2. Also if you are using the logic that a "technique" is a "technique", then simply playing the game is a technique. You obviously are trying to disregard the jargon that the smash community has presented to the term. "Technique" is a stupid term to represent any methods in any game, and I really don't want it to come to splatoon(which inevitable is happening and will happen).
3. Swimming is faster than "splatdashing", which should be quite obvious since "splatdashing" is basically rhythmically changing between squid and inkling form. There is no official evidence of splatdashing being faster than swimming. I haven't seen any comparison videos thus far(and I doubt there will be many accurate ones for that matter), and using evidence based off of a phone timer doesn't seem very accurate for some reason....(no offense to FunkyLobster)

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
That has no bearing on anything when talking about competitive play. We're talking about using coordinated strategies with a real team, against another real team. Kicking butt in randoms during a beta means nothing in this discussion.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Going to the center the fastest isn't an advantage if the enemy team is well prepared. A player that can catch a position quickly can also lose it quickly, especially with an outnumbered team.
Okay, there are two things wrong with this.

1. You're assuming the player's worst case scenario, which is that he dies. You're assuming the player doesn't have the ability to defend himself. That's exactly part of the advantage that getting to the center fastest does. You get there, lay down a bit of ink, and be prepared to fight off the opponents behind you. Or, you could go in further on a stage like Saltspray Rig, and give yourself more time to find an opening in which you can surprise the pursuing opponent. The only way the enemy can be "well prepared" if they can find a faster way to get there first, and in such instance the aformentioned scenario would happen. How else are they gonna splat an enemy that's faster than them?

2. Outnubmered team? Splatdashing is strictly for getting to the center at the beggining of the match, where there's no ink to swim in, otherwise swimming is obviously faster.

But again, I'll reiterate, we still don't know if Splatdashing is necessarily faster. On a side note, I believe using the Rapid Blaster and the Swim Speed Up perk will provide a much better result thanks to the Rapid Blaster's firing range and rate.

Life

Senior Squid
I'd just like to chime in and say that I think splatdashing is a silly name. For me, "dashing" implies small bursts of mobility (i.e. wavedashing and dash dancing from the Smash series) whereas this is more about optimally getting from point A to point B. And it also just kinda sounds weird to me.

Maybe something like "inkwalking" would be better?

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I'd just like to chime in and say that I think splatdashing is a silly name. For me, "dashing" implies small bursts of mobility (i.e. wavedashing and dash dancing from the Smash series) whereas this is more about optimally getting from point A to point B. And it also just kinda sounds weird to me.

Maybe something like "inkwalking" would be better?
....no plz lol

Splatdashing is the most accurate name possible, imo. Also, Smash dashdancing isn't exactly optimally about small bursts of mobility. It's more or less just a fake out.

Youngster Skaymore

Full Squid
NNID
EganGR
Can everyone please read the whole thread before posting?
For the last time, splatterdashing is not faster than swimming. It's not used for going through your own ink! Splatterdashing IS however, faster than shooting then inking then shooting then inking.

Also, we need to stop comparing this to the Smash community when not applicable. The games are not very similar.

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
I will admit splatdashing towards the middle can be a bad thing, especially if your team is not backing you up properly. Where I find this movement option useful (notice I didn't use the word tech if that bothers you.) is going through enemy ink. Having to spray around and then swim through is slower and gives enemies time to notice you or shoot you. For example I am being shot at and have no clear path out. Splatterdashing will let me escape much more safely then spraying ink and then trying to swim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom