• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfest Clout win? Are you kidding me?

FerretMunch

Inkling
When you have one versus two, even when the one does more than his weight in work, then the two still win because of their cumulative total?

The new metrics are complete bull, and it still got within the 3% margin. One third of the player base can whoop the other 2/3rds, but it doesn't matter because they outnumber them? There's already a popularity win, it doesn't need to be anymore slanted for the other stats.

Is it just because the more popular team can't find a consistent match because they're necessarily trying to matchmake with a smaller pool? Total chum, Retro won.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
When you have one versus two, even when the one does more than his weight in work, then the two still win because of their cumulative total?
That's not how it works, though. Clout (and formerly solo/team) doesn't take popularity into account. It's relative, not absolute.

If that was the case, the final clout results would be much closer to the popularity %.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
no dude the splatfests are finally fair now! mirror matches finally count as well while they used to not count at all! the reason Pearl always won is cause they rarely had mirror matches so making it easy for them to get the points instead of the populare teams who had more mirror matches,from what i heard mirror matches don't count as much as winning from the enemy team but they still count for your team which is fair since it is a match after all! :D

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
no dude the splatfests are finally fair now! mirror matches finally count as well while they used to not count at all! the reason Pearl always won is cause they rarely had mirror matches so making it easy for them to get the points instead of the populare teams who had more mirror matches,from what i heard mirror matches don't count as much as winning from the enemy team but they still count for your team which is fair since it is a match after all! :D
That's not what caused that in the old system, because only team A vs team B matches counted.

And we don't know if anything's 'fixed'. There has literally been one splatfest so far. You can't base that on one splatfest.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
Some of these opinions are flawed. There will always be the same number of AvB battles for both teams, because you can’t have one without exactly one of each team. If mirror matches counted, then the more popular team would have an unfair advantage.

EDIT: Whoops, @MINKUKEL said this already in a more polite and concise way, sorry!

Cephalobro

The problem with the old system is that whichever team was the least popular would win all the time, that's because the more popular team would have more players who aren't skilled enough.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
That also isn't true.

It's not like every random poll where you would put two teams against each other will get a result where the least popular team will be, on average, better at Splatoon. It's a more complicated issue than that.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
Some of these opinions are flawed. There will always be the same number of AvB battles for both teams, because you can’t have one without exactly one of each team. If mirror matches counted, then the more popular team would have an unfair advantage.

EDIT: Whoops, @MINKUKEL said this already in a more polite and concise way, sorry!
i saw someone explaining about it and they said that mirror matches counts for your team just not as much as winning a match from a enemy team .and in my opinion this is fair since making a match not count at all is what makes the end results unfair.so if you ask me they made it fair now,cause Pearl's team had a unfair advantage to begin with and i am happy they finally fixed that.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
Well, no. If Mirror Matches counted (at all,) then the more popular team - who would have more matches in general, because there are more of them - would always win.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
Well, no. If Mirror Matches counted (at all,) then the more popular team - who would have more matches in general, because there are more of them - would always win.
that is why they don't count the same amount,a mirror match maybe counts for half of what it normally counts,and that is not unfair,each match should count even if it's just a little bit.Pearl don't have that unfair advantage anymore so now it can go both ways,and the populare team have a chance now as well and i am happy about that.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
that is why they don't count the same amount,a mirror match maybe counts for half of what it normally counts,and that is not unfair,each match should count even if it's just a little bit.Pearl don't have that unfair advantage anymore so now it can go both ways,and the populare team have a chance now as well and i am happy about that.
Even if it only counted for 1% it would still be unfair.

Only, and ONLY, if clout is counted as relative to the amount of players on a team (by dividing the total clout for a team by team size), is this a fair system. Which is possible in theory, but the patch notes claim otherwise. But even then it would arguably be BS because that means that the average quality of the larger team is only magnified, since the mirror match clout is going to be higher for better teams and worse for lower teams.

So in other words, mirror matches still don't count, and they shouldn't. The patch notes clearly state this.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
It would still be BS. In Normal, you get clout based on how much you ink, with a bonus for winning. So if you got a mirror match, the optimal strategy would be to kill no one, just stand facing each other and constantly ink over each other's ink. People have gotten 9999p in a game doing this on purpose in private battles just to prove it could be done. Even without deliberate optimizing, you could still easily score 3000p per player, which is way better than each player getting 600p-1200p plus a win bonus for half of them.

FerretMunch

Inkling
It looks like the head office at Squids saw a perceived tyranny of the minority, and made up whole new metrics which screwed the better players. More of an over-correction in their system. No duh that the adults who are good at the game beat the kiddies who can't appreciate pulp. No reason to rig the system for the pouters.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
It looks like the head office at Squids saw a perceived tyranny of the minority, and made up whole new metrics which screwed the better players. More of an over-correction in their system. No duh that the adults who are good at the game beat the kiddies who can't appreciate pulp. No reason to rig the system for the pouters.
The only person pouting here is you.

We've had ONE Splatfest (technically 2 since JP had a seperate Splatfest) with this system dude. To say you're jumping the shark with your conclusion is an understatement. Case studies aren't made with only single test subject. We'll have to see how it roles out. I'd like to note that while JP's was a 3-0, both their clout scores had a difference of less than or barely 0.5%.

PikminMaster12

Inkling
I felt it was obvious that you don't get clout after a mirror match since it doesn't even display after a match ends, let alone changes.

Also, I'm not seeing how the changes hurt better players. The clout being linked to turf inked makes the scoring more based on participation than wins or losses, since a team missing a player or 2 can still cover a lot of turf and get points for their team.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
even though i thought they did it differently (people telling different things you know how it goes xD) but from what i read on the wikipedia site it says that all points you get with inking counts so even in the mirror matches,now this is what i consider even better then what i first thought! even bad players who aren't that great at the game are helping their team out,even if they lose they will still make points for the team and i like that! finally a game who tries to make it possible for ALL players,btw don't forget splatfests should be fun after all and they wanna make it fair for everyone so if you ask me they fixed it! no more auto wins for all the good players who only pick Pearl,now Marina's side has a chance as well,why are you bothered by that Pikminmaster12?

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Nice of you to create a thread and then not read any of the replies to it.
but from what i read on the wikipedia site it says that all points you get with inking counts so even in the mirror matches
Read it again:
https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Version_4.0.0_(Splatoon_2)

Cephalobro

Either way, Clout is a better system than the old one since Splatoon wasn't really about splatting people exclusively, this is why there wasn't a Team Splatmatch. The game is more about keeping things under your team's control, in which Clout is made to encourage doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom