Splatfest Double Feature: Baseball vs Soccer/Salty vs Sweet Popcorn

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
untitled.png
untitled2.png

So the NoA and NoE regions are getting their April Splatfest on the same weekend?

Works for me, less threads to keep tabs on!

Thoughts? Made a choice yet? Any game plans? Making relevant splatverse posts?

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I went with baseball
if i was in EUR region, i'd go with sweet popcorn.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Salty popcorn has a beautiful colour so that was part of the reason I chose it, but I think salty popcorn offsets other sweet things nicely, and I think it fits with popcorn slightly better than sweet.

If I were in the US, I’d pick soccer, or football. The scene is much bigger in the UK so it’s a no brainer. I also used to be quite good at it myself a few years ago.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Last time it seemed like the less popular team (chicken) had a much easier time connecting to games, can anyone confirm that this is generally true? If so, I might have to pick baseball just to make the day more enjoyable even if it means losing the popularity contest.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
I'm not too big on sports but I chose team baseball because I like it more than soccer and the red novelty ink is nice. If I lived in EU i'd choose sweet popcorn despite myself loving white ink.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
I chose baseball because soccer lacks one thing that a lot of other popular sports have: the possibility of a single event deciding who wins. This is basically because points are scored one at a time in soccer. For example, in baseball, it could be the bottom of the ninth with two outs, and the team up to bat is only losing by one point. They have a single man on first, meaning when the next batter hits that ball, he could hit a home run, winning the game for his team, or, in the same bat, he could strike out or hit a pop fly, meaning his team just lost. If that batter was the last one in the game, victory could go to either team depending on the outcome that made him the last batter. No such scenario in soccer. When a team scores a goal, they cannot be losing before it and in the lead afterward. It either gets them closer to tying up the match, ties up the match, or takes the lead from a tie. Even in penalty kicks teams just kick to decide if they're gonna lose or if this thing is gonna keep going, waiting for the other team to screw up.

I don't hate soccer, I just like it less than most other sports. Honestly, football is better than both of these to me, but that would've flattened whatever the other sport was in a NA splatfest. Also, just asking, how popular is cricket in Europe? Would it be able to hold its ground in a splatfest against soccer or not?

Reactions: the

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I don't know what it is, but I am always on team Pearl despite liking Marina more.

I chose baseball because I actually played when I was younger (probably around 10) and I just find it more interesting than soccer. I would take basketball over either of these, and the NBA playoffs start soon, and the college tournaments just ended, and soccer is overrated, but I enjoy baseball enough to watch it when its on. I just really love sports and I think most players probably don't, so I like this splatfest.

If I lived in Europe, salty popcorn, because it is objectively better. Fight me.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I don't know about everyone else's Square, but the squids in mine throughout the past week range from uncaring to confused.

Decide to pull from pics that are some of the closest I could find to Splatefest "hype". And quite the hype it is... ¬¬;

"Neither do I! What's your phone say? is there video?"

"O~h sweety! I'm so sorry!" *hugs*

"Uh... the girl over there pulled it up on her phone, I don't think that's how those games work..."

"Hey, got a minute? I can't decide on a team!"

"Woomies like yall is why I hang out in the Square!"

"*inhales* ...BOI!!"

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I don't watch either sport, but I'm going Soccer because I do enjoy Mario Strikers and Rocket League hehe. If I was in Europe I'd choose Salty Popcorn. Sweet Popcorn sounds yuck!

HeadEndDAC

Inkling
NNID
HeadEndDAC
Switch Friend Code
SW-5641-3317-5225
Team Soccer this weekend. My lady played, and as of late we have been enjoying Rocket League together. Set up for streaming, got plenty of snacks, and the weather here is cold and rainy.

KamaItachi

Inkling
Ugh... I'm over this Splatfest.

Honestly have no particular affinity for baseball or soccer, so my choice was a coin flip, but Baseball is getting curb stomped.

Think I've spent all but 3 games in Danger territory.

Hanging out for the shells is not worth this.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Has anyone noticed that you can use Sting Ray in Shifty Station on a Grapple - thing and jump to it ending your special??

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
Going with Sweet popcorn.

The few matches I have played so far, it's either stomp or get stomped. No fair or close matches, just total reks, and it's been 50/50 win-loss rate for me. Sadly this is already a lot better than the last Splatfest was for me so I'll take it :p I like the new Shifty station a lot.

Good luck to all other europeans! And hope america has a great time too.

Edit: Team salty has a lot dynamo rollers :scared: is this a new fad?

Last edited:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Well, just finished getting to Baseball King. 18 wins, 14 losses.

I'm a tiny bit peeved because 5 of those losses happened when I was only 2 wins away from getting King. Would've been a 19:9.

A much more enjoyable time then trying to play at night during the Chicken vs Egg one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom