• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfest for NA: Naughty or Nice

Pick a side

• Naughty

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Nice

Votes: 68 54.0%

• Total voters

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
Gee I think the reason Marie keeps losing is because of her fan base...

This person admitted to me that she is ten...
I must be missing something. Nothing seems to have changed with Spyke. Please elaborate.
Talk to him, you can pay for sea snails... 30,000 each...

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I know you can pay 30,000 per slot/roll. That cost is ridiculous! In one splatfest you can get the equivalent of 720,000 coins. The amount of time to grind to that amount is DAYS. By losing a splatfest you lose out on 180,000 coins. Even at S+ rank you need to win around 5 times to get ONE snail.

One of the best parts of the game (build construction) is incredibly cost prohibitive and makes it so that there is too much riding on a splatfest for it to be anything but a slog to get to royalty.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Am I the only one that chuckled at the final tally? (56-41 , 41-56; same numbers, lol)

I was kinda hoping the final score be closer, but it seems the unpopular side has won again and deservedly so. My matches were shaky at first and didn't level out until the last 15 minutes or so, but other wise it was not as one sided as previous splatfests which made them among my favorites in terms of overall ratio in wins vs loses. I even snuck in one more match after midnight that ended around 12:04, but I dunno if that counts. It was fun look forward to next year.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I was a little surprised at first that Team Naughty didn't win the popularity vote after all. During the first night, I had quite a lot of Naughty VS Naughty matches that I thought we had the popularity sealed. I saw some Team Nice members post about fighting their own team but it seemed more common in Team Naughty. It's a bit weird that both teams had to fight themselves so often when we were almost equal in popularity. ^.^

mezzo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ledyba
do some people choose which team to be on because they like callie more than marie or vice versa? i like them both, so i just choose based on which side's theme i like better...

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
do some people choose which team to be on because they like callie more than marie or vice versa? i like them both, so i just choose based on which side's theme i like better...
a lot of people actually. i'm not one of them though.

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
Good game, Team Naughty.

I'm 0-2 in Splatfests now and didn't perform very well in this one. But I did have a nice win streak going with 3-4 other people that stayed together for a while. I got a couple of new friends out of that, so I consider the Splatfest a net gain, really.

twizbuck

Inkling
Good game, Team Naughty.

I'm 0-2 in Splatfests now and didn't perform very well in this one. But I did have a nice win streak going with 3-4 other people that stayed together for a while. I got a couple of new friends out of that, so I consider the Splatfest a net gain, really.
1-2. Lucky I picked Pirates. Was tough to choose.

I was curious and looked over the Splatfest results. If I had played in all of them, based on what I would choose, I'd be 3-6 right now. Ouch.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
Yes! This is why Marie seems to always be more popular because all my friends who play splatoon are DIE HARD MARIE FANS and always choose her because they like her better. Marie is the more popular squid, Especially in Japan and the US.
I like Callie more tbh... but I choose based on what side I like better!
I'm 4-4...

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Maybe this would be better as a poll thread, but here goes: What kind of level disparities did everyone else see during Splatfest? I was Team Nice, and while I had a nice winning streak for a while thanks largely to a super team that was better than myself it was an all day lose-a-thon. Most rounds I found I made or broke the team, if I went super-ultra-tryhard we might eek a win, otherwise we lose. And that's saying something because I was doing pretty badly much of the time. But I found the teams were pretty consistently poorly matched with Team Nice consisting of lv10-lv35 (I was lv31) players and Team Naughty almost universally level 40-50 (maybe with a token lv16 thrown in now and then.) The result was predictable. A decidedly average at best Nice team with a highly skilled Naughty team employing advanced tactics, rapid turnarounds and deadly accuracy. The spawncamp slaughter was a repeating theme.

This is pretty much the norm for me on an average TW day, but I was surprised to see it during splatfest. I'm just curious if that shows a pattern of the team makeups of Nice/Naughty and everyone saw this or if it's just me and it's just a splatfest incarnation of the daily ritual of the matchmaking hating me and pairing me exclusively with lv50 players.

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
I called it. Obviously this is just a theory "for fun", but I was awesome at video games when I was naughty as a kid. Why? Because when I was gaming I was either doing it to avoid homework or chores. I just figured the naughty kids would be the better players, and if we want to get in a discussion of the other kind of naughty then it's safe to say only adults understand it and once again more "adult" players are on that team. I know it's ridiculous.

But seriously, if this pattern continues (when I say pattern I mean team Callie constantly winning) it's only going to snowball, if not it already has. Forget popularity and themes, the best players understand and know each other and they know they have a better shot at winning on team Callie. Sure you can say all the bad players would hop on the train and start joining team Callie to weaken them, but I don't like the idea of Sister pride getting in the way concerning Splatfest.

I believe the Sister's should show what side they chose once the Splatfest is over. That allows to see if your personality really matches the sister you personally like more, and it stops people from picking teams simply based on either Sister's choice.
Naughty won because people likes the negativity from it (Callie's side). Decepticons won because people like the negativity from them (Marie's side). When it comes to Splatfests with morals in them, skilled players like to choose the negative/bad side of it instead, regardless of which sister is representing that side. For choosing good for both splatfests, this is a mistake that I'll not repeat again in the future.

Last edited:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I felt compelled to go with Team Nice, only because I would never be able to tolerate Team Naughty's antics. If it weren't for that, I'd have sided with Callie once again.

This makes me... let's see, rollercoasters, Decepticons, cars, pirates... science, pizza, nicety... 4-3 in Splatfests. Not bad, I guess.

Here's looking forward to the next one!

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Maybe this would be better as a poll thread, but here goes: What kind of level disparities did everyone else see during Splatfest? I was Team Nice, and while I had a nice winning streak for a while thanks largely to a super team that was better than myself it was an all day lose-a-thon. Most rounds I found I made or broke the team, if I went super-ultra-tryhard we might eek a win, otherwise we lose. And that's saying something because I was doing pretty badly much of the time. But I found the teams were pretty consistently poorly matched with Team Nice consisting of lv10-lv35 (I was lv31) players and Team Naughty almost universally level 40-50 (maybe with a token lv16 thrown in now and then.) The result was predictable. A decidedly average at best Nice team with a highly skilled Naughty team employing advanced tactics, rapid turnarounds and deadly accuracy. The spawncamp slaughter was a repeating theme.

This is pretty much the norm for me on an average TW day, but I was surprised to see it during splatfest. I'm just curious if that shows a pattern of the team makeups of Nice/Naughty and everyone saw this or if it's just me and it's just a splatfest incarnation of the daily ritual of the matchmaking hating me and pairing me exclusively with lv50 players.
I was on team Nice. Most of my matches were fairly even. I mean, I still lost most of the time, but only 2 or 3 were really bad.

Silentium

Senior Squid

In terms of level, I would have to say that it seemed as if I was playing on any other day. Plenty of level 35+ people with a few 35- people (including myself).

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Naughty won because people likes the negativity from it (Callie's side). Decepticons won because people like the negativity from them (Marie's side). When it comes to Splatfests with morals in them, skilled players like to choose the negative/bad side of it instead, regardless of which sister is representing that side. For choosing good for both splatfests, this is a mistake that I'll not repeat again in the future.
I think it also works in the opposite direction: generally (but not always) younger kids are less skilled than older, more experienced ones. Kids also seem to side towards the side of good and positivity rather than evil. Therefore, it would only make sense for the "good" team to be weaker.

Award

I realize that's only two respondents, but that's interesting to know. At least it wasn't a situation where team Naughty was loaded with all the high level players and Nice was not. That kind of situation would make splatfests extremely unpleasant. I tried getting new lobies numerous times and the results were always the same, a level 29 average nice team against a level 44 average naughty team.

So the good news is the splatfest teams may have been acceptably matched.

The bad news is matchmaking still hates me, personally, and seems to assume I'm suitable to carry a team of sub-average players against a team of experts at all times. I'll forever wonder what gave it that idea given my loss ratio in such situations :)

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
For choosing good for both splatfests, this is a mistake that I'll not repeat again in the future.
And just like that, the snowball effect begins.

Splatfest's are going to get worse and worse when more and more people try to only pick the "winning" side.

Award

And just like that, the snowball effect begins.

Splatfest's are going to get worse and worse when more and more people try to only pick the "winning" side.
IMO it's coincidence, if nothing else the personality types of the best players tend to lean toward "edgy options", which makes sense given the whole "l337 gamer" image. Team Burger (I'll gloat a moment as a Burger King) was vastly disproportionate to Pizza and the math that makes the disproportionate teams win played big there (namely, the least popular team plays more rounds while the other team fights itself more) and therefore has more chance to win. And also is edgier, plus the multiplier, gave it a big win. But that was an oddball. This one was only 9% popularity difference, and I don't think that played into it. It really came down to personality types leaning toward edgy for the more skilled "I'm naughty, I'm so baad!", people I think, plus the screwy matchmaking I was seeing. Even with no multipliers it would have been a dead tie. Even a .001% multiplier to weight winning over popularity gives the win to Naughty, so the multiplier was entirely irrelevant this time. This one was a real balanced match compared to the others. It's just the unfortunate chance that it matched the familiar pattern. if it "snowballs" to Callie next time as people in the know pick the "winning side" I think you'll find Callie will win popularity and everyone will flock back to Marie the next time. Though it depends on their theme choice. I swear next time it'll be "Team Death Metal (Callie) versus Team Muzak (Marie.)" (EU, meanwhile, gets "Nylon Guitar Picks, vs ABS Guitar Picks")

Besides there's too many Marie loyalists that will never leave her team. Which I'll never understand, I'd have thought Callie would be the popular one.

Personally i like Team Callie for the ever-changing colors rather than being green all the time. But apparently, it's not easy being green.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Personally i like Team Callie for the ever-changing colors rather than being green all the time. But apparently, it's not easy being green.
i checked back on some of the splatfest colors and there were four where callie was pink/redish pink, her color and four where marie was a shade of green, her color in NA splatfests. And the other regions are pretty even too. Marie had two green ones in a row which is why it's noticable but she was also blue, purple and orange. sure this is insignificant information, but just letting you know.

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
1-2. Lucky I picked Pirates. Was tough to choose.
I was curious and looked over the Splatfest results. If I had played in all of them, based on what I would choose, I'd be 3-6 right now. Ouch.
I'm not totally sure which teams I would've sided with for the other Splatfests. I think I'd definitely go with marshmallows and Autobots, and probably would've supported water slides, cats, and pirates. I don't know about art vs. science (I'm terrible at both) or cars vs. planes (I'm not huge on either) though. I guess that's still a losing record either way...

My matchmaking experience was kind of like yours for most of Friday night/early Saturday morning. I was on Team Nice and went against teams that usually had at least one or two lv40-50 players and few, if any, below lv10. I think one time the opposing team had two lv50s, though they may have just seemed like lv50s because of how good they were, haha.

When I played on Saturday afternoon, things seemed to be a lot more even as far as levels went. I remember the Naughty teams having slightly higher average levels, but not by much and I had a few teammates who were pretty high level themselves. Of course, it's not like level always accurately reflects how skilled someone is and stuff like weapon composition of the team, team chemistry, etc. seems to me like it can affect results a bunch too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom