• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfest for NA: Naughty or Nice

Pick a side

• Naughty

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Nice

Votes: 68 54.0%

• Total voters

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
And just like that, the snowball effect begins.

Splatfest's are going to get worse and worse when more and more people try to only pick the "winning" side.
Not very ideal to make a claim based upon one's track record, more or less on a forum where it's like up to 1% of people who plays this game. Even with the updates ending next year, I wouldn't be surprised if they change the Splatfest result system once more to disrupt the pattern. So, I wouldn't recommend people following my observation to heart.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
i checked back on some of the splatfest colors and there were four where callie was pink/redish pink, her color and four where marie was a shade of green, her color in NA splatfests. And the other regions are pretty even too. Marie had two green ones in a row which is why it's noticable but she was also blue, purple and orange. sure this is insignificant information, but just letting you know.
LOL, figures, every time I've played a splat fest, Marie is green (and most of the time I tend to like Marie's theme better but would rather play Callie's color!) Burger was an exception for me - I like green more than orange, and like both foods, so I had to pick the one that gives the title of "Burger King" just for giggles. :D

Award

My matchmaking experience was kind of like yours for most of Friday night/early Saturday morning. I was on Team Nice and went against teams that usually had at least one or two lv40-50 players and few, if any, below lv10. I think one time the opposing team had two lv50s, though they may have just seemed like lv50s because of how good they were, haha.

When I played on Saturday afternoon, things seemed to be a lot more even as far as levels went. I remember the Naughty teams having slightly higher average levels, but not by much and I had a few teammates who were pretty high level themselves. Of course, it's not like level always accurately reflects how skilled someone is and stuff like weapon composition of the team, team chemistry, etc. seems to me like it can affect results a bunch too.
I think your matchmaking experience does sound similar to mine unfortunately. I played Friday night, Saturday afternoon, and Saturday night. Friday night had the big disparity we both saw. Saturday afternoon (across several lobbies) had the same issue until I got a 2 really good lv40-50 players on my team that carried us through a string of wins. They left when we finally lost one. But the time I got the good team is around the same time you got better matched teams. And Saturday night was the worst of the bunch, every lobby I went in was this huge disparity. In the afternoon I probably played 20 rounds and won 15. Saturday night I played probably 30 rounds and lost 20-25. Most of them very badly. Several of them spawncamped so bad I didn't even crack 400p and ended up with +1pt. I made King 10 minutes to midnight! I felt like I was just thrown into S-rank TC. I'm thinking maybe the Team Nice kiddies were sent off to bed and I was left with the Mountain Dew & Dorito crowd on Naughty (Do they even buy Nintendos?) :p

But, again, that's how matchmaking always is for me, unfortunately. I don't know if it's bad luck, or I got slotted wrong in the database, or if by metadata they somehow think I'm an expert player that can carry any team to victory despite my loss rate when they try! But that seemed even worse than normal. It could just be because I'm much more used to Japanese tactics since that's who I normally play with.

You're right about team comp and level not always reflecting skill, but usually it does. Getting from lv30 to 50 either takes many, many, many hours in TW, or lots of skill in upper-mid to high tier ranked. So those high levels generally reflect someone that's worked fairly high up the ladder in ranked, or someone that has many times my amount of play hours which _should_ translate to more experience and skill. Then again I got excited on Saturday night when a lv49 finally joined my team. He ended up with the worst ink and worst k/d on the team. And I was using a sploosh. Meanwhile the trio of lv50's on Naughty spawncamped us. :confused:

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Maybe this would be better as a poll thread, but here goes: What kind of level disparities did everyone else see during Splatfest? I was Team Nice, and while I had a nice winning streak for a while thanks largely to a super team that was better than myself it was an all day lose-a-thon. Most rounds I found I made or broke the team, if I went super-ultra-tryhard we might eek a win, otherwise we lose. And that's saying something because I was doing pretty badly much of the time. But I found the teams were pretty consistently poorly matched with Team Nice consisting of lv10-lv35 (I was lv31) players and Team Naughty almost universally level 40-50 (maybe with a token lv16 thrown in now and then.) The result was predictable. A decidedly average at best Nice team with a highly skilled Naughty team employing advanced tactics, rapid turnarounds and deadly accuracy. The spawncamp slaughter was a repeating theme.

This is pretty much the norm for me on an average TW day, but I was surprised to see it during splatfest. I'm just curious if that shows a pattern of the team makeups of Nice/Naughty and everyone saw this or if it's just me and it's just a splatfest incarnation of the daily ritual of the matchmaking hating me and pairing me exclusively with lv50 players.
This is definitely what I came across. I played for the hour and a half I could on Friday night (west coast, Friday shift ended at 10 PM), and I won 2 matches total. I hoped Saturday would be better, but the win rate was about the same. If we were up against another Team Nice, however, we would invariably stomp them. It made me wonder about just how bad some other matches must be if we were getting crushed against most Team Naughties but were crushing other Team Nices.

I did notice a TON of teammates who were afraid of getting splatted that they never ventured very far from the spawn point though, just inking over tiny little spots teammates left behind.

Naughty won because people likes the negativity from it (Callie's side). Decepticons won because people like the negativity from them (Marie's side). When it comes to Splatfests with morals in them, skilled players like to choose the negative/bad side of it instead, regardless of which sister is representing that side. For choosing good for both splatfests, this is a mistake that I'll not repeat again in the future.
Why is that? Is it that it's considered cool to be bad?

Award

This is definitely what I came across. I played for the hour and a half I could on Friday night (west coast, Friday shift ended at 10 PM), and I won 2 matches total. I hoped Saturday would be better, but the win rate was about the same. If we were up against another Team Nice, however, we would invariably stomp them. It made me wonder about just how bad some other matches must be if we were getting crushed against most Team Naughties but were crushing other Team Nices.

I did notice a TON of teammates who were afraid of getting splatted that they never ventured very far from the spawn point though, just inking over tiny little spots teammates left behind.
Fortunately it seems not all of us had such a bad experience. But good to know I'm not alone. I didn't go up against tea nice more than once, and honestly I don't even remember the results of that one! I was so miffed at the string of losses. You don't want to know how bad some of them were. Spawn camps were the rule rather than the exception. I mean it happens sometimes if a team gets a solid lead, but it just doesn't normally happen THAT often!

Ouch, your teams were worse than mine! Mine had the opposite problem - they inked NOTHING leaving turf coverage exclusively to me :( I had to swap out my normal weapons for an n-zap just to try to pull some wins. I couldn't get myself to go aerospray. :p

Why is that? Is it that it's considered cool to be bad?
"Sega Does What Nintendon't" - if you remember the 90's console wars. Yep, "bad" and edgy is "cool" - it's why the 13 year olds play the M rated shooters, and us older folks are playing cute & colorful Splatoon ;)

Then again, look what platform Sonic's exclusive to except for mobile these days. Sometimes Team Nice wins, even if it's 20 years later ;)

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Personally, I like being a good Samaritan, as I have a pretty strong sense of guilt. Nothing good comes out of being bad for the sake of being bad (and even that bad boy attitude is just that:an attitude that doesn't reflect a person's actual behavior).

The people who stay near their spawn point and go over tiny little bits will invariably be the lowest inkers on their team (in non-Splatfest Turf Wars, they're the ones who ink under 150p) and have 0-X records (meaning they never splat anyone and get splatted a lot--in this Splatfest, it's most commonly between 4 and 8).

Here are some of the results I got during Saturday (I've already deleted Friday's footage though). These are when I was up against Team Naughty. Notice the astonishing number of those 0-X finishes in third or last place:

splatfest-nice1.jpg

And these are the results when we were up against another Team Nice (one of them had another crushing victory but it ended in a disconnection; I've excluded that one):

splatfest-nice2.jpg

Award

Personally, I like being a good Samaritan, as I have a pretty strong sense of guilt. Nothing good comes out of being bad for the sake of being bad (and even that bad boy attitude is just that:an attitude that doesn't reflect a person's actual behavior).

The people who stay near their spawn point and go over tiny little bits will invariably be the lowest inkers on their team (in non-Splatfest Turf Wars, they're the ones who ink under 150p) and have 0-X records (meaning they never splat anyone and get splatted a lot--in this Splatfest, it's most commonly between 4 and 8).

Here are some of the results I got during Saturday (I've already deleted Friday's footage though). These are when I was up against Team Naughty. Notice the astonishing number of those 0-X finishes in third or last place:

View attachment 2471

And these are the results when we were up against another Team Nice (one of them had another crushing victory but it ended in a disconnection; I've excluded that one):

View attachment 2472

Yeah. I was going to say we guilty good Samritans are a small group these days, but considering we actually did win the popularity portion of the splatfest, maybe we got the bigger win after all. Actually when you think about it, winning the splatfest means you acquire more snails which you acquire for the sole purpose of murdering them by selling to Spyke to eat for dinner in order to selfishly boost your own abilities. So maybe losing was very in character for the majority group that was Team Nice? ;) YES, I found a canonical way to justify our team's terrible terrible playing!

Also, it's fair to consider that Splatoon itself is a giant characature of 90's bad-boy culture from the perspective of kid-dom. So I guess Team Naughty had some merit. :) "It's rad to be bad!"

Yeah, your stat screens look a lot like mine. Actually worse in some of them. Some of those teams are a LOT more balanced than anything I saw. Not in skill, but in raw levels. But the crushing defeats are the same. That 0/10 player, LOL! Poor Guy's level 3, probably just opened the game, had NO idea the slaughter that was awaiting on splatfest day. How do you even get killed 10 times at splat charger range? I feel bad for him! Welcome to Splatoo-SPLAT! (followed by a committed "forget it, I'm going back to Wooly World!" )

I'm guessing that 0/0 was a DC. The others, I can relate. I love how you're often the best player out of BOTH teams and still lost badly. That brings back bad memories! Though the latter half, I generally had 0/2-2/5 k/d's because despite being the only one on the team capable of killing anything, I was the only one that was willing to Ink anything. So the only skilled shooter on the team spent the whole time painting the base, while the rest of the team just ran out to get shot over and over. The really sad thing is often times 0/2-2/5 was the BEST k/d ratio on the team..... Almost always there was at least 1 to two players with 0 kills (excluding the time after I shifted to "exclusively painting/holding fort alone" and routinely got swarmed by 3 enemies at once (with bubblers and 2 krakens, of course!)

Looking at your stats though and the kill totals of the other team, it seems like your Nice teams were just THAT bad that they couldn't figure out how to get off the spawn. My problem was opposite - Team Naughty really was just THAT good. They moved like greased lightening, with ninja splooshes, and hyper Gals, and snipers that never, ever miss. Yeah, my teams really sucked, but I found it hard to hold my own against Naughty, too. The weren't THE best players I've ever played. While I don't know the ranks of TW enemies, I'd say I somehow often get stuck in TW playing against teams of mostly A+/S/S+ rank. Splatfest felt like maybe A/A+/S rank on the enemy team (and a solid C+ on my team! :rolleyes:)

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Did I luck out or something? Because I didn't have half the problems that y'all did. Yeah, there were some Nice Guys/Gals that kinda sucked, but on the whole I found them to be quite capable. Team Naughty just had more better players than we did.

...okay, so my first game was a loss to a Naughty team that was short one player, but other than that...

And re: stomping other Nice teams, it was the opposite. My team went up against another Nice team, and we got pummled. (I take the blame for that one, as I decided to screw around rather than actually fight; it wasn't going to make a difference, I felt.)

Award

Did I luck out or something? Because I didn't have half the problems that y'all did. Yeah, there were some Nice Guys/Gals that kinda sucked, but on the whole I found them to be quite capable. Team Naughty just had more better players than we did.

...okay, so my first game was a loss to a Naughty team that was short one player, but other than that...

And re: stomping other Nice teams, it was the opposite. My team went up against another Nice team, and we got pummled. (I take the blame for that one, as I decided to screw around rather than actually fight; it wasn't going to make a difference, I felt.)
You know those times when Marie just glares at Callie, and you KNOW she's thinking how much she wants to charge up her charger right now? The rest of us are glaring at you that way right now :p

Yeah, you got lucky, BUT it depends when you were playing I think. Saturday afternoon I did have a very competent Nice teams. But only for a while. Before then and after then they were pretty awful. In my case, while my teams were definitely NOT good, they weren't as awful as Zombie Aladdin's, I don't think, it's just that they were somewhat below average and the Naughty teams we were paired with were overwhelmingly above average (and often the levels reflected the disparity.) My team's were always so-so enough that the only way for us to win would be if I used them as a meat sheild and carried the team myself. Unfortunately the Naughty teams we were paired with were all playing above my skill level so I wasn't able to carry the team. I consider myself an above to well above average player, but don't consider myself someone that would ever make S rank and have doubts about A+, or maybe A., FWIW. So not the great players that can stomp the field, but someone that can hold my own and carry the team against anyone who's not from those high tier great player pools. And everyone we faced that day was hard for me to hold my own against with any weapon. A and above, for sure. Not that I didn't get kills and even positive k/d's if I went for bare and ignored ink (like the rest of the team), but it felt like high rank splat zones more than TW. (And my team made sure to only ink the 12x8 area in the center just like SZ too!)

I think NoA should avoid themes that pit "edgy versus square" player bases in the future. It just creates potential for skill disparity. Waterslides v Rollercoasters is great because one doesn't have an edge or "cool" factor over the other. Art vs. Science was good. Pirates v Ninjas are both edgy, so that was cool. Burgers vs. Pizza was just weird since it was a specific food against a general popular food. Burgers versus Hot Dogs or something made more sense (marshmallows? Ugh.) In some ways NoE has a better idea with less split choices, but they just pick weird ones. Naughty or Nice is kind of saying "Are you Fresh or Boring?" I like what they tried to do with it, but in hindsight, maybe "Holly or Pine" or something made more sense. Silver or Gold?

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
I think NoA should avoid themes that pit "edgy versus square" player bases in the future. It just creates potential for skill disparity. Waterslides v Rollercoasters is great because one doesn't have an edge or "cool" factor over the other. Art vs. Science was good. Pirates v Ninjas are both edgy, so that was cool. Burgers vs. Pizza was just weird since it was a specific food against a general popular food. Burgers versus Hot Dogs or something made more sense (marshmallows? Ugh.) In some ways NoE has a better idea with less split choices, but they just pick weird ones. Naughty or Nice is kind of saying "Are you Fresh or Boring?" I like what they tried to do with it, but in hindsight, maybe "Holly or Pine" or something made more sense. Silver or Gold?
I don't think you understand, both burgers and pizza are popular foods in the united states with foreign origins, while pizza may be more so at the moment, burgers are still well cherished.

The common thread between marshmallows and hot dogs are that they're campfire food staples, and the question was which would you rather roast over a campfire. That being said, kids don't really roast hot dogs, which is why it was more popular.

Award

View attachment 2471

View attachment 2472

Also, I recognize MANY of the names from Naughty on your list. I think I played many of the same people. They really are good players, some of them. And even though you lost anyway, be glad SSQ-Mina-k got disconnected by the looks of it - she's super tough (as the clan tag should probably imply.) :( I've seen other members of SSQ as well. Sometimes obviously in a party lobby working together probably with external communication, given the teamwork. Which is frustrating in a random lobby.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan

View attachment 2471

View attachment 2472
This is off topic but you fought someone named Mr.Creeper lmao

Award

I don't think you understand, both burgers and pizza are popular foods in the united states with foreign origins, while pizza may be more so at the moment, burgers are still well cherished.

The common thread between marshmallows and hot dogs are that they're campfire food staples, and the question was which would you rather roast over a campfire. That being said, kids don't really roast hot dogs, which is why it was more popular.
Oh, I understand the ideas of the themes, and what they intended, and I don't mean that burgers or pizza aren't popular. My point is it's kid of like having a theme of "Team Video Games vs. Team Historical Fiction Novels", for the theme of "what pastime do you enjoy on a summer weekend?" Both are entertaining passtimes, both are popular, but one is more popular and especially for the crowd in question. It's not that the theme or question of marshmallows vs hot dogs was bad, but it was going to have a hard slant. That one's just a minor grievance. Burgers v. Pizza was guaranteed to have a massive slant and it did. The question wasn't bad, but choosing battle teams based on a food that is presently going to be a pick by more people (vegetarians included after all), and pizza is associated with parties, video games, and kids more than burgers (heck Best Buy had that REALLY weird promotion for Xenoblade X where you got a gift certificate for pizza....it's THAT closely associated with gaming.) So when you ask gamers which food to choose, and one is "gamer food" and the other is not, you're probably going to get skewed results. I'm not saying NoA did something wrong, I'm just saying they should consider how the choice could affect team distribution in ways other than personal preferences and not fracture the size/ability of the teams by too much. Naught or Nice, like Pizza, the more "hardcore" gamers were likely going to side with the one option more than the other. Even if the teams were 50/50 in popularity that choice was likely to pull the better players to Naughty.

That said, Team Burger for life. ;)

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Also, I recognize MANY of the names from Naughty on your list. I think I played many of the same people. They really are good players, some of them. And even though you lost anyway, be glad SSQ-Mina-k got disconnected by the looks of it - she's super tough (as the clan tag should probably imply.) :( I've seen other members of SSQ as well. Sometimes obviously in a party lobby working together probably with external communication, given the teamwork. Which is frustrating in a random lobby.
Wow, so I basically got paired up with people who cannot ink out of a wet paper bag and matched against the best of the best? What does that say about this game's revamped matchmaking system? Does it think that I am so good, I can hold the team up against four elite players and carry three beginners to victory? (Then again, some of the levels of my teammates suggest they are not beginners at all.)

As for JACOBO, as he was a Level 3 Splat Charger user, I'm going to guess that he JUST got the Splat Charger and this was his very first session with it. I've seen many beginner charger users not charge their shots at all and run around the field shooting lots and lots of uncharged shots in every direction, which is a surefire way to get yourself splatted over and over.

Also, something that isn't apparent just seeing the results screens is that my teammates were predominantly the gung-ho type who will ink the shortest possible path to the middle and get right to fighting. Problem is that if they're up against someone who can fight well AND ink well, they're majorly disadvantaged because they have limited ink to hide and swim around in compared to their opponents. And when they get splatted, they just swim that smae ink path until they find an opponent. This was particularly apparent in Mahi-Mahi Resort, where, more often than not, I would see one single thick path going forward from the spawn point, following the slope downwards, then a left turn and a right turn into the central area. I'd just ink whatever is around me, meaning I'd hang back, and by the time I get to the central area, it's alrealy mostly covered in enemy ink and at least two of my teammates have already been splatted.

What happens oddly often, also, is that we'd be ahead for the first two minutes, sometimes even putting Team Naughty into Danger! status, but nine times out of ten, they'd turn the match around during the last minute and pull ahead for the win. I don't know why that happens. I do notice that whenever we're ahead and I get splatted, however, we'd usually lose a step in the tug-of-war at the top of the screen regardless of how many players are out on the field between the teams. I like being at the top of my team, but I dislike being the linchpin. I'd prefer teammates who can hold the line when I get splatted!

This is the first Splatfest in a while where I failed to reach royalty. I only made it to Nice Champion 35 before time ran out. And now I'm stuck with a fever that, by the looks of things, will last until at least Christmas Day. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

Silentium

Senior Squid
Also, something that isn't apparent just seeing the results screens is that my teammates were predominantly the gung-ho type who will ink the shortest possible path to the middle and get right to fighting. Problem is that if they're up against someone who can fight well AND ink well, they're majorly disadvantaged because they have limited ink to hide and swim around in compared to their opponents. And when they get splatted, they just swim that smae ink path until they find an opponent. This was particularly apparent in Mahi-Mahi Resort, where, more often than not, I would see one single thick path going forward from the spawn point, following the slope downwards, then a left turn and a right turn into the central area. I'd just ink whatever is around me, meaning I'd hang back, and by the time I get to the central area, it's alrealy mostly covered in enemy ink and at least two of my teammates have already been splatted.
While initially running to the middle ground isn't a bad idea, since you can establish map control, it is when they focus more on killing that it does get annoying. It is extremely frustrating when you have teammates that use weapons that can cover turf fast but don't do that, especially if you're using a weapon that has poor turf coverage. If I encounter this after a while, I start to use weapons with good inking and killing potential.

What happens oddly often, also, is that we'd be ahead for the first two minutes, sometimes even putting Team Naughty into Danger! status, but nine times out of ten, they'd turn the match around during the last minute and pull ahead for the win. I don't know why that happens. I do notice that whenever we're ahead and I get splatted, however, we'd usually lose a step in the tug-of-war at the top of the screen regardless of how many players are out on the field between the teams. I like being at the top of my team, but I dislike being the linchpin. I'd prefer teammates who can hold the line when I get splatted!
You get those people who are good at bunkering down and holding an area from the other team. They're in charge of spooking the enemies away while the rest of the team does their thing. If I ever find myself in this situation, I usually play very safe and never be as aggressive as I usually would. It's better to keep the middle ground and win by 10% then by going all ham, getting splatted, and ending up losing hard.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
While initially running to the middle ground isn't a bad idea, since you can establish map control, it is when they focus more on killing that it does get annoying. It is extremely frustrating when you have teammates that use weapons that can cover turf fast but don't do that, especially if you're using a weapon that has poor turf coverage. If I encounter this after a while, I start to use weapons with good inking and killing potential.
Yeah, that's what I mean: They have zero interest in inking except as a means to get to the opponents faster. They are treating it as neither a Turf War or a Ranked Battle, but rather, a deathmatch, only they also don't realize that the more of your ink you have around you, the better you can hide or maneuver around. They seem to think they can run up to an opponent and splat them.

This is, of course, the opposite of the person who fears getting splatted so much that they don't go far from the spawn point, covering any small spots their teammates leave behind. It's easy to identify thest people because they are either A) using rollers and taking very squiggly paths through our own territory or B) using an automatic of some sort (most commonly a Splattershot Jr. or an Aerospray RG) and pointing it at the ground right in front of their feet. You can also instantly identify such a player if they quickly turn around once they reach enemy ink.

These two types comprised msot of my teammates. Neither strategy results in much turf inked, and neither strategy results in many splats. Both types of players are dead weight.

Award

Wow, so I basically got paired up with people who cannot ink out of a wet paper bag and matched against the best of the best? What does that say about this game's revamped matchmaking system? Does it think that I am so good, I can hold the team up against four elite players and carry three beginners to victory? (Then again, some of the levels of my teammates suggest they are not beginners at all.)

As for JACOBO, as he was a Level 3 Splat Charger user, I'm going to guess that he JUST got the Splat Charger and this was his very first session with it. I've seen many beginner charger users not charge their shots at all and run around the field shooting lots and lots of uncharged shots in every direction, which is a surefire way to get yourself splatted over and over.

This is the first Splatfest in a while where I failed to reach royalty. I only made it to Nice Champion 35 before time ran out. And now I'm stuck with a fever that, by the looks of things, will last until at least Christmas Day. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

If I could like this post 3 times, I would do that. You just described not only my entire splatfest, but most of my days in TW, and today my rounds in ranked. Which IMO does say something very bad about matchmaking. My experience is yours, I'm nearly all the time paired with a team that can't ink (or shoot straight) worth anything, but my opponents are always highly skilled. And I've had the same thoughts exactly as you say, that I believe it somehow thinks I'm such an elite player (I"m not) that I can single handedly carry any team of rookies against a team of vets. The fact that the pattern rarely chages makes me question this possiblity daily. And if it's doing the same to both of us, I do wonder if it's true. My theory is matchmaking is made not just by level or rank (otherwise how would it do it in ranked) but by metadata calculated behind the scenes. In my case I know I can employ advanced strategies, and I know I can pull off slick maneuvers, but I'm also going to fail on execution more often than I'd like. The game may not capture that.

Same problem today (ranked B30 - string of losses, several lobbies and weapon changes, down to B- 40, back p to B30, back to B60 down to B 42. ) Especially that first half of play, my team was useless, could be ahead for 2:00 ad fail in the last 1:00, had few kills (many many deaths.) Especially in the beginning I started with eliter. I KNOW I did far from my best. I felt I failed. Then find out that I was the best on the team (meanwhile the other team was always extraordinary with that one person with 15+ kills. And the good person NEVER ends up on my team.) Then I switched to my luna - I started being the one with 10 kills. My team still had 0-3. We still lost masssively.

I can accept if I'm truly "just a B" - but when I'm top of my team half the time and #2 most of the rest of the time (Except for the times I went 0/3 because things REALLY hit the fan early due to the super other team and I had a charger....) And when I'm top of team when we win, too....I can't accept that those failures are my own. Needing to carry the entire team 1v4 alone isn't a reasonable requirement to define a rank. And I'm not skillful enough to do it.

Maybe the noobs will help!

Merry Squidmas! (And sorry to hear your sick!)

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Merry Squidmas to you too. I'll be getting some rest.

In any case, I am also right in the middle of B-rank, but I haven't played this game much since the 2.4.0 update aside from the Splatfest. I'll have to see if my experiences in this past Splatfest carry over to regular play too. I had similar experiences on Team Planes in Cars vs. Planes, but it went back to normal after the Splatfest.

Award

LOL, ouch. At least I can understand someone in that position. Lvl3, just got the game, hasn't even seen ranked yet, just started playing online for splatfest, fresh from the solo campaign probably. Fun times. I can forgive a noob for being a noob. He'll learn. The lvl23 that goes 0/11, last in inked I can't forgive. And I've seen more than one. I could even understand a disconect or real life interfering and being afk, frustrating as it is. But you don't get killed 11 times being afk. That requires actively seeking to get shot. :rolleyes:

Then again, that gives me a strategy idea. THose uncharged shots can be pretty effective. With some dmg up, that's a 3hko that's faster than sspro. I get a lot of kills that way when using chargers. If I run around spraying ink they'll think I'm a total incompetent like everyone else :cool:

Yeah, I saw that too. There was definitely a deathmatch mentality the whole day. I see that often, but it was very pronounced during splatfest. Most of my main weapons at this point, aren't great inkers (all chargers, luna, sspro, etc.) and it's exceedingly frustrating when I'm the only one inking - the slowest on the team. Using these types of weapons I do try to be the one taking the short path - not to get to "fighting" but to get to center (or a sneaky camp site just inside enemy turf) - and expect the inkers on the team to fortify turf behind me. Instead I find them off to the side getting splatted (and super jumping to me getting splatted again) I have to go back and ink. I have to come back with an ink weapon. And then I have the same problem as you. I take time to i

nk a bit in the base first, get to center and find it controlled by the enemy, covered in in, and no team mates anywhere. So it falls to me to repel the enemy alone. The best I can hope to accomplish is to get 32% of the map instead of 6% by the end. Not fighting for victory but fighting or less humiliating defeat. If I rush in instead of inking base and try to hold center, we do a little better. I might splat 2-3 of them before getting splatted, hold them back a LITTLE to give my team time to ink but as soon as I'm splatted it falls apart anyway. I've noticed that the winning team isn't always the team with the 15/0 player, but is the one where EVERYONE has a positive k/d. 4x 3/1 seems to do better than a single 15/0. and a few zeros (usually)

Yeah, I usually run to mid, and, if I have a weapon that paints sraight lines, paint a traversal grid through the paths of mid for the team. Then the team ignores it and just goes ahead killing Then mid is lost, and in some maps, that's the game right there. And since MOST of the weapons I use aren't reat at inking, it becomes awful. It's bad in all modes but in splatfest that means that my weapon options become limited pretty much to aero, sploosh, nzap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom