Splatfest length

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Please don't make it longer. Or if you do, change up the maps and modes to keep it interesting. 24 hours of the same three maps on Turf War was fun the first two splatests...now it's just a chore. Especially if you're on the losing team, grinding your way to king/queen 2 points at a time.

It would be a great way to introduce ranked modes to newer players or players who never play ranked though. They wouldn't count toward your actual rank, just be playable formats at some time during the day. That would be fun.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Ranked rooms would screw matchmaking even more. Rotate between Turf, Zones, Turf, Tower, etc for something like that.
So, how would it work for people under Level 10? Would it give them a taste of Ranked? I'd imagine that there may be even more frustration among people who DO know the rules for these modes though. I see my fair share of players in Ranked who don't know the rules at least as far up as A-. I can only imagine how many people like that there'd be when you throw in people who have just started playing the game.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
So, how would it work for people under Level 10? Would it give them a taste of Ranked? I'd imagine that there may be even more frustration among people who DO know the rules for these modes though. I see my fair share of players in Ranked who don't know the rules at least as far up as A-. I can only imagine how many people like that there'd be when you throw in people who have just started playing the game.
Hmm, good point. I guess it wouldn't be too much of an issue since technically they can play the Ranked Modes in private as well.

I'd be fine sticking with Turf for 24 hours, not sure why people give the mode crap.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I'm not bored of Turf War yet, but I've been playing for less than a month, but I'd bet it's because it's a mode that's on all the time rather than just one-third of the time.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
Splatfest is already boring, there is no point in making it longer. What they need to do is give you points based on how much turf you ink.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
What they really need to do is add more modes to Splatfest before considering making it longer.

Though, I'd be down for longer Splatfests, since most of them I haven't been able to catch. But still, I'd like to see more variation first.

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
I only got to play from 9:00 to midnight, so this was the first splatfest I couldn't even reach King status for.

I really wish points were awarded at +1 for every 200p, no limit, instead of capping it at +2 at 400p. Inking over 1200 points in a match should award me more points than the guy who inks 100 and then gets the win bonus points
What if you just covered the enemies base and they instantly cover it back again. Sure you would get a ton of points but it would be meaningless to cover the opponents side unless it was the very end of the match. And how about the players who might use chargers or something that doesn't cover that much turf and mainly go for splats. They are the reason they won the match but they might've not covered that much turf in the process which is okay since they're stopping the other team from covering turf.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Splatfest is already boring, there is no point in making it longer. What they need to do is give you points based on how much turf you ink.
It's only boring if you have that much time to play it for that long. If it bores you, go do something else. That's what I do when something bores me. You can see that there are reports of people who are unable to play during the entire 24-hour session.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
Its boring because its the same thing over & over again. its legit a glorified turf war, even if people miss its not like another one wont come again

Berentxo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Berentxo
To be honest most festivals I ever go to last for at least the whole weekend, if not Thursday to Sunday. I get that they are trying to make it so that snails have some sort of value as something that's not readily available and people covet, but I started playing Splatoon right after the first Splatfest if I recall correctly, and I've either missed half of them because of work or haven't been able to play for too long because I had to go to bed early or just got home from work in time for the last hour or so.

I would be really happy if they turned it into a weekend thing (say, Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon). That'd be ideal for pretty much everyone working weekends (or anything that takes up daytime hours during the weekend in any other way). If they did that I wouldn't even mind if they made Splatfest levels require more exp. or if there were more levels with smaller rewards each or something along those lines.

Platinum Inkling

Senior Squid
What they really need to do is add more modes to Splatfest before considering making it longer.

Though, I'd be down for longer Splatfests, since most of them I haven't been able to catch. But still, I'd like to see more variation first.
Now that's a good idea. I'd love to play ranked on the night stages! Also, what if during splatfest, it didn't count for your rank? I don't know about anyone else, but I would love to have a regular version of RM/SZ/TC. If we can't have that it would be cool if it was a special thing for splatfests.

Demonic Labrys

Pro Squid
NNID
Omega_Snakey
Now that's a good idea. I'd love to play ranked on the night stages! Also, what if during splatfest, it didn't count for your rank? I don't know about anyone else, but I would love to have a regular version of RM/SZ/TC. If we can't have that it would be cool if it was a special thing for splatfests.
Yeah i agree but i think if that does happen i think we won't lose our rank in splatfest events only but it would be cool if they added them

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Splatfest is fine where it's at.
BUT IF WE HAD TO ADD SOMETHING TO IT... WELL WE NEED MORE MUSIC FROM OUR LOVELY IDOLS.
I want more kinds of songs from them while we're in turf war. The more the better! Besides, then I don't have to mute the t.v and play my own music. I mean, without sound, I get killed to Krakens more cus I can't hear them. ;v;
SO, BRING IN MORE SOUNDTRACKS BY THE SISTERS AND MAAAAAYBE SOMETHING ELSE THAN TURF WAR AND I'M ALL UP FOR LONGER SPLATFESTS!
No really... this game needs more OST.
Besides, having ranked in there (Without it affecting your rank) would be pretty cool. uvu)

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
It's only boring if you have that much time to play it for that long. If it bores you, go do something else. That's what I do when something bores me. You can see that there are reports of people who are unable to play during the entire 24-hour session.
Yep. And that's literally the ENTIRE point of what I"m saying. They're VERY easy to miss. If someone has a job that forces them to work that day? Guess what they ARENT getting any of? Sea Snails. EVER. Two days would at least increase the chances of being able to participate and earn these.

Its boring because its the same thing over & over again. its legit a glorified turf war, even if people miss its not like another one wont come again
Actually, it kinda is.

That's the other side of it: These are VERY infrequent. I called them "rare" for a reason; they almost never happen. For such rarity, two days of one mode wont kill you.

The REAL problem is that these are the only way to get Sea Snails, and you need *a ton* of those in order to really try for rerolls. And for those that cant participate because it is ONE freaking day... how fair is that? I'll answer for you: Not fair at all. Particularly if you want to play competitively.

And yes, I know you can pay money to use the rerolls, but you know as well as I do that it's a terrible, and not at all viable, option. The cost is just too absurd. For something that has a VERY high chance of just giving you absolute crap for the 20th time in a row. A high chance of making already mediocre equipment EVEN WORSE.

This is one of the reasons why I dont play ranked much: Because I find it nearly impossible to get GOOD... or even DECENT... equipment. Most of mine is bad. And I typically dont enter said mode if I'm *starting* at a disadvantage, particularly when that disadvantage isnt going to vanish during the match or something.

And no, I wont grind for money. It takes too long, and there's nothing... and I mean *nothing*.... I hate in all of gaming more than the concept of grinding. If I'm going to have a match, I want it to be because I want to have some fun, because I want to have a challenge, things like that. Not because I need to do 50 more to earn that day's probably-useless reroll.

As a rule, I dont actually like games that do this (the use of equipment). Just give everyone the same bloody starting point, dont shove damn equipment into it. There's a reason why alot of games that do this arent considered "competitive" at all. Hell, this is actually the only genre I can think of where the concept is tolerated frequently.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Well, there's the Pokémon video games, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "equipment." There are hold items in it though.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Well, there's the Pokémon video games, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "equipment." There are hold items in it though.
I dont count Pokemon, since that's literally the entire point of the game. The whole thing would break down entirely if you couldnt make your own teams. Yet even it has enough of it's own problematic and unfair points.... though the devs have done an admirable job of keeping that to a minimum.

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
Let the Squid Sister write a few more songs before they lengthen the Splatfest. After the 20th time of hearing their one song I wanna impale my eardrums.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Dear God, even longer?!?

My main problem with Splatfest atm is that it shuts down all ranked modes for 24 hours starting from Saturday evening (7 PM in my timezone). That's exactly the time and the only time of the week when I'd like to play a longer session of squads. Also early Sunday afternoon is probably when I reach my top level play which I can't use for anything than stomping turf players with the .96 Gal...
So overall I'm not the biggest fan of Splatfests tbh. Sea Snails are nice, though, but they wouldn't even be needed if the ability rolling system was better.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Dear God, even longer?!?

My main problem with Splatfest atm is that it shuts down all ranked modes for 24 hours starting from Saturday evening (7 PM in my timezone). That's exactly the time and the only time of the week when I'd like to play a longer session of squads. Also early Sunday afternoon is probably when I reach my top level play which I can't use for anything than stomping turf players with the .96 Gal...
So overall I'm not the biggest fan of Splatfests tbh. Sea Snails are nice, though, but they wouldn't even be needed if the ability rolling system was better.
That's exactly my point though. The ability rolling system is bad, so you need ALOT of them.

But if you have something to do on that ONE day? No snails for you.... no rerolling. And there's ***NOTHING*** you can do about it. Not a thing.

I dont actually care about the content of the event itself; really dont give a damn. I just want to be able to get the stupid snails so I can make my equipment stop sucking (right now, nearly all of it is awful). But NOPE, let's tie this very important item and entire mechanic to an event that lasts for half a second!

Ugh. There are times, even with great games, where I'd like to see one of the developers kicked by a horse. This is one of those times.

Inky Corruption

Full Squid
NNID
ShaneTC
I'm going to be echoing the same sentiment as a lot of people when I say this, the biggest downside to Splatfests are complete lack of Ranked play. Like @TheMH said, the weekend is the best time for sitting down with your squad for a good number of games which then gets shut down by Splatfest.

Another thing is that Turf Wars are fine but not necessarily all that exciting after the nth time. One thing I would really like to see is mode rotation throughout Splatfest, giving you a great opportunity to play and practice Ranked game modes whilst you're still going for that precious Splatfest title. It would make Splatfests a little more varied and interesting for those who are starting to become jaded with their monotony.

... And yeah, I wouldn't mind some new music either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom