• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfest Recap: And The Winners Are...

Hey there squids and kids! Hopefully the Splatfest was inkredibly fresh for all who joined in. Callie and Marie sang their hearts out, the ink flied, and the competition was fierce. There was a lot of trash talking going on between those on either sides of the event as well but in the end only one team could be victorious. Let us lament in the losses and celebrate the winners. Here are the results!

Japan
Winner: Red Fox Udon
  • Score: 161
  • Popularity: 67%
  • Wins: 47%
Loser: Green Tanuki Soba
  • Score: 139
  • Popularity: 33%
  • Wins: 53%
Europe
Winner: Rock
  • Score: 170
  • Popularity: 64%
Loser: Pop
  • Score: 130
  • Popularity: 26%
North America
Winner: Dogs
  • Score: 160
  • Popularity: 62%
  • Wins: 49%

Loser: Cats
  • Score: 140
  • Popularity: 38%
  • Wins: 51%
Amidst the fun of the Splatfest however there have been some concerns from fans. Many players played on one sided teams where there were not even full 4v4 (with some player even suffering in 1v4 fights). At times teams were even forced to face up against players who had voted similar as well. All teams with the highest popularity won as well even despite the win rate being higher for others which has some upset.

There is sure to be much discussion going on about upcoming Splatfests both positive and negative. We hope everyone had as much fun as possible and will stay here on Squidboards to keep that discussion going strong. Until the next Splatfest be sure to stay fresh!

Comments

There's a 180,000 coin difference between the reward that Dog Kings/Queens got from Cat Kings/Queens, and that's the smallest reward difference, the ranks lower than champion actually have an even more massive reward gap for the lower ranks.

Also, the thing is that between two large teams, the win percentage won't deviate much from 50-50, as pointed out in this post.

Also the thing that people are also forgetting is that the less popular team still tends to have match making issues that result in the smaller team frequently having less players during a match, which hurts their odds of winning even more.

I'm happy for the victory of my faction (Rock), but I was hoping also in Cats. RtM is great!

A little mistake in the recap: fix the percentage of Pop's popularity, it's 36%.

For me it was clear from the beginning that rock would win. The internet is an awkward place - It's mainstream there to like non mainstream music.
But hey, it's awesome to see my fraction win, even though I haven't had much time to play (I could only do 5 matches or so...)

I'm really looking forward to the next splatfest, I really like this event

Here in Europe it was clear that Rock wins. Had so many matches against other rockers. Best match was a 3on4 against Pop and we wo with 3 people on Port Mackerel.
The thing is: If your choice is more popular the chance to have stupid players in your team during a match is much higher and OMG I had so many of them. If you just go with the percantage of wins, the more popular choice MIGHT have a disadvantage. It's totally fine to give points for popularity but maybe the share should be reduced from 1/3 to 1/4 of total points

It's actually kind of sad cats lost solely on the popularity votes. I remember my team was against only 1 person on team cat and they just looked hopeless as we covered the whole map

I wish popularity didn't matter as much, it seems silly that even though Team Cat won a higher percent of matches, Team Dog won only because of more participants. But with that said, great work fellow felines!

I didn't have any matchmaking issues from Splatfest, and I have horrible internet. Plus, with the matches so close, 51 to 49, which I'm certain is rounded down, probably more like 50.5 to 49.5, the popularity victory was kinda a must. Tho, I was a Cat King, and got 18 snails, so I'm as happy as a clam with that.

If popularity counts x1 and wins x3 (new max score of 400):

Japan
Winner: Red Fox Udon
  • Score: 208
  • Popularity: 67%
Loser: Green Tanuki Soba
  • Score: 192
  • Popularity: 33%
Europe
Winner: Rock
  • Score: 223
  • Popularity: 64%
Loser: Pop
  • Score: 177
  • Popularity: 36%
North America
Winner: Dogs
  • Score: 209
  • Popularity: 62%
  • Wins: 49%

Loser: Cats
  • Score: 191
  • Popularity: 38%
  • Wins: 51%

It makes things much closer and is more rewarding for those playing better.
Just look at the possible results for NA. Out of max 400 points Team Cat is only 18points behind which
is 4.5% of all points. If Team Cat would have been a bit bigger or had won 54% of all matches it would had AT LEAST gained a deuce.

It's actually kind of sad cats lost solely on the popularity votes. I remember my team was against only 1 person on team cat and they just looked hopeless as we covered the whole map
I was on Team Cats rocking the Krak On Roller and there was a time I was by myself vs 4 dogs could of been me... GooooOOOoooo Cats - but seriously gg all

I definitely agree on the unfairness of the constant 4 v. 1 for Splatfest. In one of the matches I was in that it happened I sat in my teams spawning spot the whole time. They went ahead and fought but I just couldn't stand of how unfair of a fight it was.

I will admit that I was on the losing Team Cat, but I dislike the fact that popularity benefits a team's score in an event where winning matches is the important part of Splatfest. In fact, if a team faces itself and still gains points just for playing (is that the case, or did I mishear something?), popularity should HURT the team with the most members somewhat to make it more fair. I hate that in an event where you have to win matches, a team's population has the potential to make that irrelevant, and even more so when it DOES indeed happen. If I were on Team Dog, I'd still have the same mindset. I'm glad I got plenty of Super Sea Snails and had fun, but the logic behind the results (not the results themselves) hurts, and whomever enforced the rules behind the scores needs to be told to get rid of popularity's impact.

Sorry, but that's how I feel about this.

People act like it's a pure popularity contest right now...... I disagree. The battle rate accounts for 2/3 of the whole system, which is basically the majority. The Cats only needed a 57% win rate to win the game. Now, I know some of you might think this is a lot, but I don't see it teeter-totting too far away from the balance point. Of course, no individual could single-handedly bring their team up. I know a lot of Cat players here who've won a huge majority of their matches. But it's a team effort. The fact that the win rate was only 51% for cats shows there are bad players in addition to great players on the cat team, since most cat players claim they win at least 75% of all matches.
In the end, I believe Splatfest is just to show support for your side, and see which side gets more support by calculating how many people back it up and how much support the players can invest in it. I think it would be better if the win rate were tripled, but I dislike the idea of just flat out removing popularity. Maybe if the win rate for cats were huge enough to make the Splatfest a closer match, I'd consider it. But as cats won just a bit more than 1/2 their matches, I'd say this system isn't the popularity contest people are pointing fingers at for "trying so hard, but still losing at."
I agree with Zypker above. It's about showing support for one's side. Nothing is wrong with the way scores are calculated. The rewards being played for are not real items and have no real monetary value, not to mention the minor difference in rewards between "winners" and "losers", so it doesn't matter who wins. It's just a video game.

@SmashCapps check your popularity percentages for Europe. The percentages you have there don't add up to 100%. ;)
That'd be fine and dandy if team cat didn't have unbalanced non 4 on 4 matches to already punish us for not having the same popularity. Our wins are including all the easy wins team dog got for playing against just 3 cats or 2 cats or even just a single cat team member. So the higher win percentage is a lot more impressive than it first appears.

That'd be fine and dandy if team cat didn't have unbalanced non 4 on 4 matches to already punish us for not having the same popularity. Our wins are including all the easy wins team dog got for playing against just 3 cats or 2 cats or even just a single cat team member. So the higher win percentage is a lot more impressive than it first appears.
I do agree with this part; hopefully Nintendo will be fixing this soon so that only full 4v4s count toward the battle ratings.

I do agree with this part; hopefully Nintendo will be fixing this soon so that only full 4v4s count toward the battle ratings.
That opens up the can of worms of letting people rage quit if their team is losing. Maybe make it so any team that is 2 vs 4 or 1 vs 4 will be tossed out, but that still seems sketchy.

TBH I lost all interest in splatfests outside of just getting snails now, I'll just pick a team at random and not care about a favorite.

The rating system is a joke

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom