• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfest Recap: And The Winners Are...

Hey there squids and kids! Hopefully the Splatfest was inkredibly fresh for all who joined in. Callie and Marie sang their hearts out, the ink flied, and the competition was fierce. There was a lot of trash talking going on between those on either sides of the event as well but in the end only one team could be victorious. Let us lament in the losses and celebrate the winners. Here are the results!

Japan
Winner: Red Fox Udon
  • Score: 161
  • Popularity: 67%
  • Wins: 47%
Loser: Green Tanuki Soba
  • Score: 139
  • Popularity: 33%
  • Wins: 53%
Europe
Winner: Rock
  • Score: 170
  • Popularity: 64%
  • Wins: 53%
Loser: Pop
  • Score: 130
  • Popularity: 26%
  • Wins: 47%
North America
Winner: Dogs
  • Score: 160
  • Popularity: 62%
  • Wins: 49%

Loser: Cats
  • Score: 140
  • Popularity: 38%
  • Wins: 51%
Amidst the fun of the Splatfest however there have been some concerns from fans. Many players played on one sided teams where there were not even full 4v4 (with some player even suffering in 1v4 fights). At times teams were even forced to face up against players who had voted similar as well. All teams with the highest popularity won as well even despite the win rate being higher for others which has some upset.

There is sure to be much discussion going on about upcoming Splatfests both positive and negative. We hope everyone had as much fun as possible and will stay here on Squidboards to keep that discussion going strong. Until the next Splatfest be sure to stay fresh!

Comments

Well, now I've found out that dogs faced each other for no points, so both sides had equal opportunity for points... But then when you factor in cats and only cats having to face dogs with one, two, or three less members in battle without disconnections even happening at all in the beginning, my point about Splatfest being unbalanced still stands.

So win percentage doesn't determine the winner? Sounds legit.
Also, how did pop get thrashed so badly in both popularity and win percent?
EDIT: Why'd they make such an awful design for pop? At least the dog and cat designs were fairly similar, but only the most flamboyant metrosexual would be caught wearing a pop shirt.

Well, now I've found out that dogs faced each other for no points, so both sides had equal opportunity for points... But then when you factor in cats and only cats having to face dogs with one, two, or three less members in battle without disconnections even happening at all in the beginning, my point about Splatfest being unbalanced still stands.
Why are people acting like it only happened to team cat it also happened to team cat sure I never played a 1v4 but I did play a lot of rough 2v4s

Why are people acting like it only happened to team cat it also happened to team cat sure I never played a 1v4 but I did play a lot of rough 2v4s
Because it happened more often to team cat. I had to do 7.5 ish matches with team cat being disadvantaged to 1 battle with dog being disadvantaged and cats being a full team. I played roughly 16-17 hours straight of splatfest as well so I had a ton of matches across different time zones.

Guys (and gals), 57% of the matches is A LOT. According to vgchartz, splatoon already sold in North America 0,44 million copies. Considering that this website does not include copies sold through eShop, we can assume that around 0,6 million copies were sold in North America. Now let's consider that half-million people entered Splatfest, and that at least 30% of those were playing a Splatfest Cats vs Dogs matches during the whole duration of the event. That means that at least 150k people were playing a Splatfest match during the whole day. One room have 8 players on it, making it at least 18750 rooms open at all times. Now let's consider that it takes 6 minutes from the beginning of a Turf War match to the beginning of the next match (3 minutes per match, plus the results screen and the matchmaking screen) and each room can have 10 matches in one hour. Consider that the event lasted for 24 hours, and you have AT LEAST 4,5 million matches. Cats had to win at least 57% of the matches, which means they had to win 2,565 million matches. If that happened, dogs would have won 1,935 million matches. That's a difference of 630 thousand matches, and that means that cats had to win AT LEAST that value more than dogs to even have a CHANCE of winning Splatfest.

And that's considering that only 30% of the Splatoon player base in North America played Splatfest, and we know that the number was probably higher than that. Taking that into consideration, do you still think that the current Score system is fair?

Did you have less members because of disconnections (players still show up in the results, but will always have an X on them during play on the Gamepad, and will always be represented by a grey squid on the top of the TV screen)? Or did you not even have 4 members collected during the player search (squid on top screen during game is only an outline, not grey, and the gamepad and results screen show only less than 4 players)? My point was that we sometimes had less players, and not as a result of disconnecting, and I didn't see team Dog go through the same issue.

Guys (and gals), 57% of the matches is A LOT. According to vgchartz, splatoon already sold in North America 0,44 million copies. Considering that this website does not include copies sold through eShop, we can assume that around 0,6 million copies were sold in North America. Now let's consider that half-million people entered Splatfest, and that at least 30% of those were playing a Splatfest Cats vs Dogs matches during the whole duration of the event. That means that at least 150k people were playing a Splatfest match during the whole day. One room have 8 players on it, making it at least 18750 rooms open at all times. Now let's consider that it takes 6 minutes from the beginning of a Turf War match to the beginning of the next match (3 minutes per match, plus the results screen and the matchmaking screen) and each room can have 10 matches in one hour. Consider that the event lasted for 24 hours, and you have AT LEAST 4,5 million matches. Cats had to win at least 57% of the matches, which means they had to win 2,565 million matches. If that happened, dogs would have won 1,935 million matches. That's a difference of 630 thousand matches, and that means that cats had to win AT LEAST that value more than dogs to even have a CHANCE of winning Splatfest.

And that's considering that only 30% of the Splatoon player base in North America played Splatfest, and we know that the number was probably higher than that. Taking that into consideration, do you still think that the current Score system is fair?
So TLDR;

If there were 4.5 million matches, Cats needed to win 6000 more matches than dogs with less teammates.

Last edited:
TBH I lost all interest in splatfests outside of just getting snails now, I'll just pick a team at random and not care about a favorite.

The rating system is a joke
Pretty much this, except I'm not picking a team at random from now on, I'm picking the team I know will be more popular since, you know, actual hard work doesn't matter in the end. The way I thought it would work (even when C&M announced the results) was that they were going to SHOW who was most popular for the sake of hype and all that, but ultimately wins were what would actually matter. But nope, do more work with a smaller team and still lose. Yes I'm salty, but to those saying it's not a big difference between rewards, you're tripping cause snails are worth 30k and getting 36 of them is a loooot of stat re-rolls. Stat re-rolls that ripple-effect into making better gear which turns into performing better which turns into winning more and so on.

Part of the wins for cats was also because of the Dog v Dog matches. Those don't count towards the final score so... Yeah.

Pretty much this, except I'm not picking a team at random from now on, I'm picking the team I know will be more popular since, you know, actual hard work doesn't matter in the end. The way I thought it would work (even when C&M announced the results) was that they were going to SHOW who was most popular for the sake of hype and all that, but ultimately wins were what would actually matter. But nope, do more work with a smaller team and still lose. Yes I'm salty, but to those saying it's not a big difference between rewards, you're tripping cause snails are worth 30k and getting 36 of them is a loooot of stat re-rolls. Stat re-rolls that ripple-effect into making better gear which turns into performing better which turns into winning more and so on.
The Splatfest isn't about winning, it's about fighting for the side you believe is better. If you lose, than, tough luck, but the Super Sea Snails is nowhere near the point of Splatfest. If you are really that concerned of earning a few more digitial snails, than I can't stop you, but saying your hard work doesn't matter is just not true and should not be derived just because you lost.

The Splatfest isn't about winning, it's about fighting for the side you believe is better. If you lose, than, tough luck, but the Super Sea Snails is nowhere near the point of Splatfest. If you are really that concerned of earning a few more digitial snails, than I can't stop you, but saying your hard work doesn't matter is just not true and should not be derived just because you lost.
If it was just about repping your favorite team then both teams would get equal rewards no matter who had more wins/popularity. That's not the case though. If super sea snails didn't actually DO anything except be a form a "trophy" or bragging rights then maybe. That's also not the case though. Don't hit me with the "digital snails" thing either because any game can be reduced to "digital currency doesn't really matter".

So? I think the matches where we were at a disadvantage were not fun. I think matches versus your own team would at the very least be fun then being stuck at spawn getting slaughtered.
True, but every match I played (I was stuck with noobs using chargers and shooting at the ground :/) that happened to the Dogs. But I think it's kind of ridiculous how salty everyone gets for Splatfests.
They're meant to be one thing, fun. Fun for everyone, and they really should just give the same amount of sea snails to everyone for playing because it really doesn't matter who was more popular, or who had more skill. It's meant to be fun.
Ps: Sorry this is all over the place. I'm really tired.

True, but every match I played (I was stuck with noobs using chargers and shooting at the ground :/) that happened to the Dogs. But I think it's kind of ridiculous how salty everyone gets for Splatfests.
They're meant to be one thing, fun. Fun for everyone, and they really should just give the same amount of sea snails to everyone for playing because it really doesn't matter who was more popular, or who had more skill. It's meant to be fun.
Ps: Sorry this is all over the place. I'm really tired.
It feels stale and a bit like work especially when you are on the smaller team. I wish it had a bit more variety or something because sometimes it isn't that fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom