• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfests in Europe are rigged!

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
like the title said..this is getting ridiculious and someone needs to say it,i do not believe this even fair anymore,

ok so in europe we had a splatfest Team Adventure vs Team relaxing,actually Team relaxing was much better then team Adventure because not just me dominated them but alot of other players as well,even on YT you can see how many of them were winning but now here it comes

how the hell does Team adventure still win?! because they are less popular and on Pearl's side? come on team nintendo from europe stop this nonsense and stop kissing Pearl's ***,i'm sorry but i had it,do i really have to pick Pearl if i want to win even if i don't like her preference? come on! splatfests aren't fun like this anymore.Nintendo from Europe treat Pearl like some goddess who can never be beaten.you know i am close to quitting splatfests that involve me having to pick Marina's side because i prefer her preference.

half of Pearl's wins are rigged,not sorry but it's the truth.

do any of you guys agree with me here? i can't be the only 1 thinking this right?

Cephalobro

Same thing can be said about the North American Splatfests, so many of the recent Splatfests here always happened like this. It is annoying seeing how for some reason, they don't want the underdog (in story context) to win over the top dog.

Hiro Protagonest

Full Squid
It's not rigged, you'd have to get a bunch of players to stop the ways they pick Splatfests, not caring about the subject and just picking the girl they like or picking the side they think will get a few extra snails.

The system favors wins over popularity, but in Splatoon it was first that wins didn't mean anything, then that wins dominated even harder... now the system is somewhat more balanced, but in EU the results are the most extreme (maybe it is 'cause people generally care less about the EU subjects).

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
It's not rigged, you'd have to get a bunch of players to stop the ways they pick Splatfests, not caring about the subject and just picking the girl they like or picking the side they think will get a few extra snails.

The system favors wins over popularity, but in Splatoon it was first that wins didn't mean anything, then that wins dominated even harder... now the system is somewhat more balanced, but in EU the results are the most extreme (maybe it is 'cause people generally care less about the EU subjects).
but in this case we didn't had many noobs on our side,actually alot of good players we had on our side and alot of them literally dominated team Adventure,this splatfest is just like Pulp vs No pulp & Mayo vs Ketchup,those 2 were actually a win for Marina but the team/computer that calculates everything decided to let Pearl's side win anyhow,i seen many other players getting angry and frustrated with those 2 splatfests results because even they found it unfair and it really was,

i also blame the mirror matches,these are what also messes up the results in my opinion,if they would just cut out that option with mirror matches i can already tell you that the results will be much more fair.yeah teams maybe have to wait longer if 1 team is much more popular but at least there will be no messing up with the results that way.

Rowdyowl

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1385-8384-4220
but in this case we didn't had many noobs on our side,actually alot of good players we had on our side and alot of them literally dominated team Adventure,this splatfest is just like Pulp vs No pulp & Mayo vs Ketchup,those 2 were actually a win for Marina but the team/computer that calculates everything decided to let Pearl's side win anyhow,i seen many other players getting angry and frustrated with those 2 splatfests results because even they found it unfair and it really was,

i also blame the mirror matches,these are what also messes up the results in my opinion,if they would just cut out that option with mirror matches i can already tell you that the results will be much more fair.yeah teams maybe have to wait longer if 1 team is much more popular but at least there will be no messing up with the results that way.
Just because you have a lot of good players in one team doesn’t mean you don’t have literal millions of bad players. The game is big, your individual contribution is a drop in the bucket.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
Just because you have a lot of good players in one team doesn’t mean you don’t have literal millions of bad players. The game is big, your individual contribution is a drop in the bucket.
that's also what i tried to explain in my last reply,many Eurpean youtubers picked team relax,and they had the same good results like i did,while i saw youtubers who picked team adventure having more losses then wins,and players also said that team adventure was doing bad and this came from team adventure players themselves.

if you seen all splatfest results in europe then you gotta agree with me that not all the results are fair,and maybe i am a little stubborn but i really do think that at least this splatfest & the Pulp vs no pulp & Mayo vs Ketchup were wins for Marina's side..

if Pearl's team was popular like the front roll vs back roll splatfest (in this 1 i picked Pearl's side) she also wins even though her team was popular..but if Marina's side is popular all she does is lose..i'm sorry but something is not right with the results.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Splatfests aren't rigged.
While my initial placement matches surely gave me the impression that my side (adventure) is full of mudas, I managed to fight my way from an initial sad rating of 1850 to 2130. Not the best score, but I couldn't really help that except for my first match, where I was pitched with a 2.1k team against a 2k team that we lost by 10 points (we had a two charger comp, and our E-Liter couldn't hold his own unfortunately), all power levels were 1.8k, give or take. And after reaching Royalty, I had frankly enough of turf mode by then, and ended with an overall W/L ratio of 18-12, which is still positive, even with the initial hiccups, and ping-ponging between win and loss after peaking.

At any rate, it is important to remember that your individual experience is only a small fraction of every single match played. A lot of good players keep playing to increase their power score even after reaching royalty, and this group of players has more or less a determining impact on how the winrate will end up being. And as a rule of thumb, if the popularity difference is more than ~5%, chances that your team has more weaker players with negative W/L-ratio tend to be higher. There have been instances where a big popularity disparity hasn't stopped the larger team from winning (front-roll vs back-roll, and book vs movie come to mind), but you can view old splatfest results to verify this if you want to do some digging.

Overall, it was a mixed bag for me, with matches that I could easily slay my way to victory while climbing, and then it became stagnant as some point, but that's how it is.

But hey, let's stop talking about rigged fests, and do something about the incessant connection errors after the groups have formed in the lobby. I had instances where I got booted five times in a row after the lobby filled up - of course, without a punishment or anything, but it was annoying.

Ikalula

Inkling
But hey, let's stop talking about rigged fests, and do something about the incessant connection errors after the groups have formed in the lobby. I had instances where I got booted five times in a row after the lobby filled up - of course, without a punishment or anything, but it was annoying.
Exactly. This was only my first Splatfest, but I noticed the sheer amount of connection issues throughout my time playing.

A couple of things I had happen to me:

1-2 disconnects on my team in many matches

An instance where the lobby would only fill with three opposing players, then kick all of them.

And one particularly peculiar case where the enemy team never spawned at all, and me and my team ended up in an empty match, but were rewarded for winning the match as if the opposing team had loaded into the match,

Whilst the results may very well be infuriating after playing your heart out for your team - I know I did - The real problem that needs to be addressed is the anger that comes from the game just not performing as it should.

Last edited:

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Exactly. This was only my first Splatfest, but I noticed the sheer amount of connection issues throughout my time playing.

A couple of things I had happen to me:
1-2 disconnects on my team in many matches
An instance where the lobby would only fill with three opposing players, then kick all of them.
And one particularly peculiar case where the enemy team never spawned at all, and me and my team ended up in an empty lobby.

Whilst the results may very well be infuriating after playing your heart out for your team - I know I did - The real problem that needs to be addressed is the anger that comes from the game just not performing as it should.
Yeye, Luckily, only two real DCs happened during my Splatfest, and they were one for each side, so it was still 3v3 and kinda fair - but I really don't understand how the game tends to derp out in the lobby stage of all things, and so many times in a row too. I know I had fests where this wasn't as much of an issue, but this one was crazy.

Not-so-silent reminder that we're going to pay fo' that come next month. Not a lot, and it has cloud saves, so bless, but it's still kind of disheartening to see that one of my all-time favorite games has the same issues since launch and are mostly left unaddressed / unfixed by the devs. But I won't give up hope yet.

And as frustrating as losing a Splatfest can be, especially if you've given your all (unlike me, who, after ping-ponging between wins and losses and still losing more points than getting decided to switch to E-Liter for the last 10 or so matches ¬ ¬ and ironically winning all but 4, and even those were close losses) - the good news is, Splats 2 doesn't make the win/loss snail count that different. It's like, a 2 snails difference at best. That's way different from Splats 1 where it was like 10 snails or so. You can certainly see where I'm going with this. For me, winning the Fest isn't as important as reaching Royalty, since the max snail count I get is only different by a negligible margin. :D

Padre

Pro Squid
They all have been rigged from the start.
Jewish agendas are everywhere.
Anyways, I had mediocre splatfest this time, around 2300 score in the end in team relax.
Dominated all the real games, and took mirror matches, well, relaxed. I actually quite enjoyed shifty station this time, the arena in the middle was fun trying to control.

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
I've only had one Splatfest that being the Octo vs Squid, but in my experience each team has dominating matches, not entirely sure how the matchmaking works but it could simply be that the less good players who would make up the vast majority of each team make up the meat of the losses and wins and in this case it was losses.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I knew my team was going to win is because Pearl tends to win a lot in EU. If you want to win, pick Pearl. There's only been a few freak accidents where Marina won, but other then that Pearl is a pretty safe bet.

I think that accidental D/C's matter way more than actual player performance. People d/c constantly in turf and that usually ends up being a big deciding factor on which team will win.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
I knew my team was going to win is because Pearl tends to win a lot in EU. If you want to win, pick Pearl. There's only been a few freak accidents where Marina won, but other then that Pearl is a pretty safe bet.

I think that accidental D/C's matter way more than actual player performance. People d/c constantly in turf and that usually ends up being a big deciding factor on which team will win.
maybe it's my stubborness and my pride speaking but i do refuse to pick a preference i don't like just so i can win >.< not saying i never picked Pearl because i did,but the last 3 splatfests Pearl's preference wasn't for me ^^''

D/C's were a thing this splatfest as well,there were many of those,while the previous splatfest did not have many D/C's at least not in my matches haha,though they really need to fix their wifi issue with the switch,the only reason i can play online in splatoon 2 without issues is because i got a wifi extender for my room just for my switch since my phone and computer already have great wifi without a wifi extender >~>

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
How to win a Splatfest:
1. Pick the less popular team.
2. That's literally it.

On a more serious note, I do think the more popular team is at an inherent disadvantage, I know there was a post on the forums explaining this stuff but idc lel. I much preferred early-game OG Splatoon where popularity was actually somewhat important, rather than a burden.

Also, they should just remove every single line of text mentioning Article 3, Section 2 of Splatfest Law because that thing is just outright flamebait.
The good news is, Splats 2 doesn't make the win/loss snail count that different. It's like, a 2 snails difference at best. That's way different from Splats 1 where it was like 10 snails or so.
It was worse than that in the first game: The winning team got double the Snails the losing team got. What on earth were they thinking?!
And one particularly peculiar case where the enemy team never spawned at all, and me and my team ended up in an empty match, but were rewarded for winning the match as if the opposing team had loaded into the match,
I had the exact same thing happen to me all the way back in the Flight vs Invisibility Splatfest!
I know I already posted this in the Splatfest thread, but I had a match where the entire enemy team disconnected.

Hiro Protagonest

Full Squid
On a more serious note, I do think the more popular team is at an inherent disadvantage,
They're not at an inherent disadvantage, they're at a... realistic? disadvantage. If everyone actually picked based on the topic, and not for seeing one of the girls win or being a tryhard who's bad at dealing with tilt, then the popular team would win more than half the time.

It's a nice idea on paper to have the difference in popularity matter, like in Splatoon 1, but since matchmaking makes winrates trend closer and closer to 50% for both sides, and they've already tried many different multipliers to make that win percentage approximate to the popularity, the only way to do it would be to wipe Splatfest Power and have anybody matched with anybody. That's a less enjoyable experience all around and favors the "I'll pick the smaller team to win" way of thinking even more.

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
How does the less popular team have an advantage? is it the fact that they'd have to win less matches overall?

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Tell me the reason 'they' would rig the splatfest and if its convincing I will support your righteous quest to fix it.

How does the less popular team have an advantage? is it the fact that they'd have to win less matches overall?
May be talking out of school but I think the though is that the 'kids' and 'sheep' will always pick the most popular side. That group having the weaker player base. *shrugs*

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
May be talking out of school but I think the thought is that the 'kids' and 'sheep' will always pick the most popular side. That group having the weaker player base. *shrugs*
You're half right there. It's about how the more popular team can generally end up having a more inconsistent skill level regardless of Splatfest Power, which can make things like carrying through a DC more difficult and thus makes them more likely to lose. They also can't make up for it in numbers, since the points they can gain is strictly tied to the other team.

I definitely wouldn't say it's completely dependant on popularity (Splatfest Power has definitely helped with that) - more along the lines of a bit of luck and whatever the better players go for overall, but just looking at the results of the Splatfest shows that popularity and wins are definitely not correlated.
They're not at an inherent disadvantage, they're at a... realistic? disadvantage. If everyone actually picked based on the topic, and not for seeing one of the girls win or being a tryhard who's bad at dealing with tilt, then the popular team would win more than half the time.
Is it really all that relevant though? If they lose, a tryhard who's bad at dealing with tilt is essentially a bad/losing player in the eyes of the win statistics, and as someone who proclaims to have a Waifu on their sig: I'd like to think that the vast majority of people aren't so petty as to just always pick their favourite girl; it ruins the idea behind Splatfests and we might as well just have a Pearl vs Marina theme every time. (Not that I blame 'em, Splatfests kinda suck in general.)

I'd say they still fit into why I said being on the popular team is a bad thing.
It's a nice idea on paper to have the difference in popularity matter, like in Splatoon 1, but since matchmaking makes winrates trend closer and closer to 50% for both sides, and they've already tried many different multipliers to make that win percentage approximate to the popularity, the only way to do it would be to wipe Splatfest Power and have anybody matched with anybody.
I'll give you that, but I wasn't trying to say that the old method was objectively better.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
what i see most people saying is that it's because alot of noobs chooses the same side? i still find it hard to believe that Marina get all the noobs since this splatfest and some other splatfest i had that i was on Marina's side were actually good splatfests for Marina's side even if the results says otherwise,though if it's true what you guys are saying then wouldn't it be because of certain good players as well because all they do is pick Pearl's side? saying it's just because of the noobs seems a bit unfair to me because the good players have a choice as well but they are just as stubborn as the noobs then.i don't make my decision based on Pearl or Marina nor which side will probably have the good players or noobs,but i decide on my preference >.< playing for a preference i despise i just can't,it would feel like i am letting other people decide for me what i should choose and i refuse that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom