Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
Does anyone think that the swim speed nerf to Ninja Squid is any reason to stack less swim speed? I had planned on branching out, and trying to main some more meta weapons that benefit from ninja squid.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Does anyone think that the swim speed nerf to Ninja Squid is any reason to stack less swim speed? I had planned on branching out, and trying to main some more meta weapons that benefit from ninja squid.
I’m just going to go all in on even more swim speed. I don’t need anything else but to be an invisible speed ghost.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Ugh, soo~ much stuff to play with I inevitable will tank my rank. Oh well. Such is squid life.
*toasts* ( ^_^)c且

From the sounds of patch notes, you need maybe 2~4 extra subs worth of swim speed to compensate for the ninja squid nerf.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
I was worried that the new Gloogas would be a tad disapppointing with a Splash Wall, but with it buffed...maybe we have a decent pair of Gloogas. Gloogas got higher damage and slower firing speed, right? I always thought that was a bit redundant for dualies (you know, an entire weapon based on quick maneuverability and "in your face" action being slow and clunky) But with a Splash Wall, perhaps the Gloogas could become a really nice defensive weapon. Throw down a wall, then scare the enemy with some powerful shots ans build up ink, and then go baller it in a more offensive manner. (The baller sounds like a huge help to those troubled dualies. At least now it has decent mobility.)

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So here is what I got out of this....My beloved new squiffer is coming so I can die happily though actually I like alot of these buffs

You can now sub strafe with inkmines...being able to quickly move and hide while placing mines will open up so much mobilty on these weapons which I am glad to see.
Splash wall....this is honestly a great buff I am glad for since messing up a ledge splash wall in a game has gotten me killed so many times, plus you can likely use this to avoid a bomb insta splatting you if you are quick.

Curling bombs now have a learning curve and you can either get a bigger explosion or a quick path depending on how much you push it.
.96 now has a less rng on first shot and it's cosuin the squeezer now has better turfing ability
Tenta now can spam even more shield to cover turf and has buffed beacons
and last but not least the flingza has more consistency to it which is also good

Haunt now is a better respawn punisher especailly with QR
And though not what I had expected the respawn punisher does make countering this ability very difficult and give it slightly more use

There is only one question I do have WHERE ARE THE UNDERCOVER BRELLA BUFFS?!?!

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Ugh, soo~ much stuff to play with I inevitable will tank my rank. Oh well. Such is squid life.
*toasts* ( ^_^)c且

From the sounds of patch notes, you need maybe 2~4 extra subs worth of swim speed to compensate for the ninja squid nerf.
You needed 5 subs before and it said the effectiveness is decreased by 20%, so I think you'll now need 1 extra to get back to baseline. Anything on top of that will still be reduced by 20% though.

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
Haunt now is a better respawn punisher especailly with QR
And though not what I had expected the respawn punisher does make countering this ability very difficult and give it slightly more use
If they manage to improve Haunt enough to where it becomes a somewhat regular sight, maybe the result will be Cold-Blooded reducing the duration of the tracker and inching back toward useful again.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
You needed 5 subs before and it said the effectiveness is decreased by 20%, so I think you'll now need 1 extra to get back to baseline. Anything on top of that will still be reduced by 20% though.
I was starting from current baseline and adjusting from there. Guess the nerf might not be that strong if just one or two extra subs are needed to reach the new baseline.

the

Inkling Commander
Time for everyone to re-analyze the custom range blaster now that curling bombs are different!

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Thoughts:
  • Splatfest results are now accurate to 0.1%. Fewer 51/49 splits now, yay!
  • Splatfest Power and Vibe now no longer decrease after "multiple matches with few allies." I guess that means if you get hit with multiple disconnects, you won't be penalized. Err... how about not penalizing when there's even one disconnect? And how about including meal/drink tickets in that? This seems like an excessively complicated solution when there's a simpler and better one.
  • .96 accuracy buff... again. Why are they having so much trouble dialing this in?
  • Splash Wall: That's a pretty substantial buff. Might see a rise in squeezers and heavy splatling decos, but it'll be most interesting if the double buff to the .96 deco puts it back in the scene.
  • Sub strafing with the Ink Mine. Very interesting. I always figured sub strafing was a side effect, not a feature, but this suggests it's an intended gameplay strategy. I should really practice this.
  • Curling bomb: I'm pretty sure people pack these for the movility, so decreasing its deadliness shouldn't impact it much. It'll be interesting to see how big a difference "cooking" them makes now. It's a strategy I see only rarely right now.
  • Special Saver is getting its diminishing returns back. Good, I disliked it being the only special with a flat curve, and I usually use only 2-3 subs of it.
  • Opening Gambit: I see a rise in this only for bragging rights. How long can you keep it running?
  • Haunt: It now does what Respawn Punisher's old in-game description does... sort of. If someone gets killed within the 26 seconds after killing you while you're wearing this, they get the Punisher effect. It's still only a 0.8 second and 15% special meter penalty, though. If you're an aggressive player that likes monkeying with respawn timers, it's not a bad bet.
  • Drop Roller: 3 seconds of speed boosts and ink resistance? Will anyone even notice?
  • Comeback nerfed, but only a little. I'll still use it.
  • Ninja Squid: Sounds like your "point value" of Swim Speed will get reduced, so 5 subs will work like 4 subs, and 4 subs will work like about 3.2 subs. Right after I finally made my Ninja Squid+Swim Speed Up shirt, naturally.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@MindWanderer
I actually see the opening gambit being useful on weapons with point sensor since you automatically get an assist if that player is marked and then taken out, and on rapid blaster/ pro version since they normally get assists and kill quite easily.

Plus the drop roller is mainly to ditch as quickly as feasibly possible since most players who superjumped just got spawn camped out of their roll

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
If they manage to improve Haunt enough to where it becomes a somewhat regular sight, maybe the result will be Cold-Blooded reducing the duration of the tracker and inching back toward useful again.
For thermal abilitys Cold-Blooded doesn't reduce tracking time, just increases the distance you have to be for the thermal effect to be visible. Sadly even if Haunt does become popular Cold-Blooded still wouldn't be worth imo.

Time for everyone to re-analyze the custom range blaster now that curling bombs are different!
I think it'll be pretty much the same. You wont get as many kills anymore while spamming curling bombs from a distance, but they'll be better in close range combat.

Reactions: the

Nutmeat

Pro Squid

They somehow made the issues with Saltspray even worse by letting us toss bombs from one spawn to another.
I'm a little confused about this post since it references both Shifty Station and Saltspray Rig. This is the map for Camp Triggerfish, which is getting added tonight, correct?

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
I'm a little confused about this post since it references both Shifty Station and Saltspray Rig. This is the map for Camp Triggerfish, which is getting added tonight, correct?
Thats the map for the new Shifty Station. Sadly we dont have a map for Trigger yet. Its a tad confusing, let me clear things up. Triggerfish gets added tonight. A new shifty station is coming soon. Japan just got a new Splatfest/Station, presumably in a week or two it'll hit EU and US. The original poster is simply referencing the fact that the new Station's layout is reminiscent of Saltspray Rig. As of now, Saltspray Rig is not scheduled to ship in S2, but only time will tell.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
No, I'm not doing that again. Trust me I'm the only one who cares about it enough.
It'll still have the same concept, throw curling bombs into mid / areas where you can ink and get special off of them. You can still combo the bombs with the bubbles + direct anyway, so not much is changed here. Maybe for more accurate painting, you might want to cook the bomb a bit longer.

Wow, another patch, I can't wait to see if they did anything to my main.

No patch notes about Range Blaster, that's okay I guess. . . Uhh, what about inkstorm?

no, that's the same. uhhh . . . . . . . . vanilla blaster?

NERFED. I'll take it honestly. 170p was getting really bland especially with the panic button. And now you can't blame your misses on lag, got eeeeeeeemmmmmmmmmmmm.

Other than that, I'll take a stingray nerf, everyone's been bellyaching for that since 1.4.0. I'm glad the devs finally patched that strategy.

Only thing I have a problem with is with the comeback nerf. I get it was the best exclusive ability, but it didn't deserve a nerf. The other perks needed buffs honestly (which they rightfully did get in this patch.) Not both. Whatever, comeback still looks good.

Reactions: the

Lumiose_Ink

Inkling
Hopefully I'm understanding this post correctly, but no. The post itself is referring to the new Shifty Station that will be used on the next Splatfest, whenever we get ours. The Saltspray Rig reference is likely referring to the way the stage overall looks, and how they're similar. This isn't Camp Triggerfish.
---
Overall, I like the look of this update, even if I don't particularly like or necessarily agree with some of the changes/nerfs.
The Ninja Squid nerf was the most unexpected change, and this is among one of the changes that I don't necessarily agree with. Nullifying the effect of swim speed by 20%, despite that only truly affecting perhaps one SSU sub or two, is quite the change, if you ask me. It'll certainly make an impact on my current setup for the Dapple Dualies, considering my current gear and playstyle. There's a chance that I'm overexaggerating the impact of this however, and that being said, I can understand why they would do such a thing.

The Comeback nerf was also quite unexpected. Admittedly, I never see people who use Comeback, and I've only ever truly made use out of it in Turf War, and even then, I haven't really found it to be particularly useful (I've seen a number of people arguing that Comeback is underpowered, even). I can't really say that I ever expected this ability to be nerfed, nor do I really understand why it was.

These points are the two points that weirded me out the most about this update, but the majority of the changes, especially some of the fixes (e.g.; Splashdown fix), look good and are things that I'm looking forward to. The buff that was given to Beacons is making me want to try out certain sets again - like the Octobrush Noveau and the regular Dapple Dualies - even.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Thats the map for the new Shifty Station. Sadly we dont have a map for Trigger yet. Its a tad confusing, let me clear things up. Triggerfish gets added tonight. A new shifty station is coming soon. Japan just got a new Splatfest/Station, presumably in a week or two it'll hit EU and US. The original poster is simply referencing the fact that the new Station's layout is reminiscent of Saltspray Rig. As of now, Saltspray Rig is not scheduled to ship in S2, but only time will tell.
Oh ok, thanks. If you look at the thumbnail for Triggerfish in the Stages section of the SplatNet app, it looks very mich like the one you posted, which is why I was confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom