Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Some days I adore JP Splatoon twitter, because when do we get this monstrosity?
Code:
https://twitter.com/nogizakamacho/status/1024127777358790656

But really, August 1st at 9am in Japan is when the next four weapons drop!
Code:
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1024127593405022208

Also, if you haven't come across it yet, Siliconera and Nintendo Everything have posted interviews with the devs revealing some insightful design and lore details!
Japanese Splatoon 2 Twitter response kits are a legit meme and christ it's funny. My favourite trope is how they add a sight to anything, including the handle of a brella (facing the wrong way of course). Then someone went the extra mile and added not only one, but TWO scopes to a Clash Blaster and I could not stop laughing.

Like can you imagine someone plowing around the map with this binocular blaster?

Then there's these amalgamations of horror.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The main reason we got it in splat 1 was to give some underused weapons new light
I mean, that's the reason they gave, but I don't get the feeling the actual weapons chosen were based on that criteria. It was basically just some extra content to prolong the game's life. They gave some of the most often seen weapons (Zapper, S.Shot, Aero) a Sheldon's picks release, after all. You could argue they picked based on the competitive scene solely but I find it hard to believe they would base it based on that specific group only.

Which I why I 100% expect them to come out with third variations for Splatoon 2. The game will be supported with content until at least December and will have Splatfests up to next summer. There's no way that weapons will just stop releasing soon.

I may personally like Point Sensor, but I know objectively it's debatably the worst sub
Point Sensor is great.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Point Sensor is great.
Greater than Splat Bombs, Burst Bombs, Suction Bombs, Auto Bombs, Curling Bombs, Splash Walls, Squid Beakons, Toxic Mist? I think most would disagree, but eh to each their own!

Speaking of detection stuff, think I'll give Thermal Ink a shot on the Bloblobber since if any weapon can make use of it it'll definitely be this one. No 1HKOs or AoE dmg so a hit will always trigger it, has the range to take advantage of it, and can bounce shots off corners n lob them over walls/ledges to potentially hit those Thermal Ink reveals.

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
It's definitely greater than some of those, depending on the weapon.
It's honestly not, while a FEW weapons can utilise point sensors well such as Dualie squelchers, Neo machine, and SShot pro, their counterparts are usually seen as superior choices because their sub weapons can actually help them in getting into fights, escaping, painting, etc. Meanwhile, the only thing Point sensors do is identify the position of enemy locations. There is no sub to make up for the weapon's weakness. (If it has any).

Although I will say that Baller for the Nautilus might be a good choice regarding how it might need to get up into a firefight similar to the new Squiffer.

Last edited:

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Japanese Splatoon 2 Twitter response kits are a legit meme and christ it's funny. My favourite trope is how they add a sight to anything, including the handle of a brella (facing the wrong way of course). Then someone went the extra mile and added not only one, but TWO scopes to a Clash Blaster and I could not stop laughing.

Like can you imagine someone plowing around the map with this binocular blaster?

Then there's these amalgamations of horror.

The best one is the blaster dualies LOL

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
It's definitely greater than some of those, depending on the weapon.
I'd be down for an example. Other than Sloshing Machine, I can't think of any special interactions with the other Point Sensor weapons. If a kit Point Sensor was on also had Stingray, well that'd be something!

Although I will say that Baller for the Nautilus might be a good choice regarding how it might need to get up into a firefight similar to the new Squiffer.
But why would a weapon that needs to charge want to get into melee range? I mean it's fine if the Baller splats the enemy, but when it doesn't you'll have put yourself at a disadvantage against most weapons.

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
That's like saying the only thing a Splat Bomb does is explode.
In essence, yes a Splat bomb does only explode, I get that it pressures, paints turf, can kill etc but my main point with my last reply was that Point sensors do little compared to other sub weapons, Ink mines essentially do the same function of tagging opponents, Autobombs follow your opponents, giving you a basic idea of where they are headed. I guess the point sensor can pressure short ranged enemies as everyone on your team will know where they are, but it's not very effective on long ranged ones because all they'll do is try to suppress your team in which everyone will already know. And, finally if you're getting rushed down with something like a Classic Squiffer or the upcoming Nautilus you'd better hope you have your special or can defeat them with a partial charge because at that point, the Point sensor can do nothing but tag your murderer.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
'd be down for an example. Other than Sloshing Machine, I can't think of any special interactions with the other Point Sensor weapons.
IDK, any weapon I use that happens to have Point Sensor it works out for pretty well. SS Pro is probably my favorite to have it. Sloshing Machine is probably the best one for it right now. That goes for Splatoon 1 as well, for that matter.

Ink mines essentially do the same function of tagging opponents, Autobombs follow your opponents,
Ink Mines and Autobombs do track (well, sort of in the case of the latter), but the Point Sensor goes all-out on the tracking. They're quite different in that regard. Mines and Autobombs kind of do both offensive and tracking, but don't do either as well as bombs or point sensors, respectively.

And it's true that you might be in trouble when someone chases you, that's the trade-off to getting to track people left and right. You don't get to do X, but you get to do Y. Don't see the problem with that.

Hiro Protagonest

Full Squid
Ink Mines are more defense-specific and Auto-bombs are more target-specific and less precise. Of course, Auto-bombs just became a lot cheaper to use, and are now cheaper than a Sensor...

Tagging someone with an Auto-bomb lets anyone with clear vision to the bomb see it chase. Point Sensor reveals their precise location to everyone on your team. I think you're underestimating the power of the entire team knowing exactly where at least one person is. This matters less with voice comms, but knowing whether that the guy you tagged is hiding behind that wall rather or running away is still a great boon. Especially against Ninja Squids.

Most of the weapons with Point Sensor have above-average range, so it helps them keep enemies pinned.

I think Toxic Mist is worse, and that Ink Mine has a different, slightly nicher purpose.

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
@Hiro Protagonest The viability of Point sensor in Solo q is incredibly fluid, you can get teammates who can act accordingly with tagged enemies or get teammates that... Leave a bit to be desired, but as I stated originally, why would you use a sub that only tracks opponents when there are subs that can do so much more, if an enemy has taken damage of any kind they will appear on your mini map, hell even Squid Beakons reveal an enemy's location. You'd have to consistently be good with whatever main weapon you are using to make up for the Sensors and even then, couldn't you do better if it had a sub with more utility?

Also, Toxic mist would probably be the same or better than Sensor depending on the weapon being used, Rapid pro, Ballpoint, and Novo-Dapplies can utilise mist rather well since they can all pressure the opposing team with their specials\main weapon.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
why would you use a sub that only tracks opponents when there are subs that can do so much more
Because those subs sacrifice some in the tracking-side of things. Tracking enemies on the map only also isn't nearly as convenient as having them pointed at on screen the whole time.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Toxic mist (and disrupters in S1) reveal locations for everyone on your team as well but have the added benefit of making someone super easy to murder. That’s useful on any level of the game (where point sensors lose some of their appeal once VC is being used).

But the big thing that people forget about both mist and sensors (and also mines) is that when you are getting base locked and need to charge your specials to get back in, nothing beats lethal bombs. Point sensors don’t help with that. Mist doesn’t help with that. Mines don’t help with that. You can’t use those to charge specials, and that will always make those subs inferior even if they have their uses.

It’s not that they’re useless. It’s that bombs help you get back in like nothing else.

Last edited:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
@Hiro Protagonest The viability of Point sensor in Solo q is incredibly fluid, you can get teammates who can act accordingly with tagged enemies or get teammates that... Leave a bit to be desired, but as I stated originally, why would you use a sub that only tracks opponents when there are subs that can do so much more, if an enemy has taken damage of any kind they will appear on your mini map, hell even Squid Beakons reveal an enemy's location. You'd have to consistently be good with whatever main weapon you are using to make up for the Sensors and even then, couldn't you do better if it had a sub with more utility?

Also, Toxic mist would probably be the same or better than Sensor depending on the weapon being used, Rapid pro, Ballpoint, and Novo-Dapplies can utilise mist rather well since they can all pressure the opposing team with their specials\main weapon.
You gravely underestimate it. Even in solo queue. Letting your entire team know the exact location of an enemy no matter where they are allows people to easily predict what they might do, especially against people who don't pay too much attention to the fact they are tagged. Even in more aggressive situations, having the opponent trying to flee tagged greatly reduces the chances of them getting around the terrain the flanking you.

Autobond does have scouting potential since you can use it to determine if people are ahead, but since people easily outpace the Autobomb, it isn't gonna be useful as a constant tracker.

Then Ink Mines are just the support end of the tracking family. While Point Sensor is designed to track people while advancing, Ink Mine passively tracks people that may sneak up behind your back or on unguarded avenues if used correctly.

Their uses are just not offensive, simple as that. But that doesn't mean their uses aren't there and aren't potent.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
There are very few weapons I've ever said outright need a significant nerf (except maybe pre-nerf Splatoon 1 Blasters when they could 1HKO with indirects). A tone down, but nothing I'd say just demands a complete rethinking of the weapon's overall existence.

But my god, the Bloblobber is something I think just need revaluation on a design level. It's the longest ranged slosher, has the same firing speed as the normal Slosher, has the potential to kill in a single swing (unlike every other Slosher), and its projectiles have a very dominant presence on the field, and that isn't even considering the weapon's main gimmick of the projectiles being able to bounce and bank off stuff.

This weapons has a level of map control that is honest to god just plain absurd . Especially given its actually decent firing rate. Have two Bloblobbers and the entire area is essentially a giant hitbox.

No weapon with that kind of range should have constant map control like this weapon does. This needs its range completely wrecked, its firing rate, or its ability to do kill in a single swing. Heck, they made the Explosher not even be able to 1HKO.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
IDK, any weapon I use that happens to have Point Sensor it works out for pretty well. SS Pro is probably my favorite to have it. Sloshing Machine is probably the best one for it right now. That goes for Splatoon 1 as well, for that matter.

Ink Mines and Autobombs do track (well, sort of in the case of the latter), but the Point Sensor goes all-out on the tracking. They're quite different in that regard. Mines and Autobombs kind of do both offensive and tracking, but don't do either as well as bombs or point sensors, respectively.

And it's true that you might be in trouble when someone chases you, that's the trade-off to getting to track people left and right. You don't get to do X, but you get to do Y. Don't see the problem with that.
Well you didn't really explain why Sensor would be better for the Splattershot Pro than the aforementioned sub weapons, or in general why tracking would be superior to turfing/aiding combat/pushing n defending the objective. Tbh I even prefer Inkmines for the aforementioned uses, and now that Autobomb cost lost less I'm looking at it more favorably compared to Sensor.

There are very few weapons I've ever said outright need a significant nerf (except maybe pre-nerf Splatoon 1 Blasters when they could 1HKO with indirects). A tone down, but nothing I'd say just demands a complete rethinking of the weapon's overall existence.

But my god, the Bloblobber is something I think just need revaluation on a design level. It's the longest ranged slosher, has the same firing speed as the normal Slosher, has the potential to kill in a single swing (unlike every other Slosher), and its projectiles have a very dominant presence on the field, and that isn't even considering the weapon's main gimmick of the projectiles being able to bounce and bank off stuff.

This weapons has a level of map control that is honest to god just plain absurd . Especially given its actually decent firing rate. Have two Bloblobbers and the entire area is essentially a giant hitbox.

No weapon with that kind of range should have constant map control like this weapon does. This needs its range completely wrecked, its firing rate, or its ability to do kill in a single swing. Heck, they made the Explosher not even be able to 1HKO.
Has more end lag than the regular Slosher though better movement while firing, but the range is definitely nuts, roughly equal to a non-scoped Splat Charger. All weapons around that range are slow/need to charge, but Bloblobber defys this rule. It's range when firing at high targets is meh but still. Eating dinner right now thus I haven't used it in a match yet, so wont claim it's OP just yet.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight

4 Boblobbers = A whole lot of NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

I was up against a team of them and all of the sudden they had control of the entire stage in seconds.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Holy crap there should be a mode where everyone has to play the blob! That’s basically what’s happening in TW right now and its so much fun.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Well it's good to see that the Bloblobber is making a name for itself, and this is why I'm glad I look on the forums because when I first tried it out in the test range, I didn't like it. I thought the endlag and poor coverage of each individual blob made it kind of a bad weapon, but I'm seeing, as per usual, that I'm just using the thing wrong. I'll give it another go and see if I can theorycraft a kit for it, but I likely still won't use it.

The Nautilus on the other hand, I see some interesting properties already: it always fires at the same range regardless of charge, it has no additional jump variability, it can start recharging mid-fire like the Ballpoint, and it can store partial charges like a Goo Tuber rather than only a full charge like an unscoped charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom