• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
I hope Splatoon 2 has better execution than the first. I absolutely loved Splatoon and I still consider it one of my favorite shooters to date! The game is extremely fun and addicting but there were so many small things that slowly drove me away from the game entirely. For the sake of the community to expand I hope they took some of our feedback from playing the first game. I would love to return to Splatoon!

Some of the things I'm hoping get adjusted in Splatoon 2:
- Remove RNG from gear. Most people eventually hacked their gear once we had the option because we got tired of dealing with Spike RNG. I honestly think that was one of the best things to happen to the game since we finally had a chance to try out all sorts of builds and experiment. Some will disagree, and that's fair. Paying additional points for a guaranteed roll or rolling a single spot would have been a great addition to fix this issue.

- Please do not force people to play ranked because the only non ranked option is turf wars. This was one of the main things that killed the game for me. If I wanted to play tower control I was forced to either play ranked (during the right hours it was in rotation... and then hope the maps were not annoying) or hope there were enough friends online for a private match. Horrible idea...
- Remove the 2 map lockout and replace it with a voting system. Show 2-3 maps and let the players vote on the map they want to play on. Then give them 1 min to select a loadout before the match starts. In the event of a tie a new random map will be chosen. The same 2 maps and game mode FOR 4 HOURS was excruciating.

- Spectator mode needs to happen. We begged and begged for it but it was never added. Now that they have E-sports in mind I am hoping this is a no brainer.

- Some maps need some serious adjustments if they plan on returning. Moray Towers (already shown to have adjustments) was horrible if their was a charger on the other team, and trust me there always will be... Camp Triggerfish was the same way since there was no reliable way to get to a sniper on the wall and they had full vision of the map which made it really hard to use the flank routes.

- I hope they consider custom loadouts this time. This would add a lot of diversity options that having subs locked to a weapon would hinder. Balance is always an argument to this but if the game truly is balanced then there should be nothing to worry about. We already had an E-liter with burst bombs, not sure it can get any worse than that. I always wanted to see a carbon roller with ink mines or point sensor but it didn't happen :/
Spectator mode and gear being separated from abilities are confirmed.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Spectator mode and gear being separated from abilities are confirmed.
Then I should add Spectator Mode (though I thought it was just video, not confirmed by Nintendo). Though, last time we had leaked video footage (with Smash 4) it turned out to be correct...

- Remove the 2 map lockout and replace it with a voting system. Show 2-3 maps and let the players vote on the map they want to play on. Then give them 1 min to select a loadout before the match starts. In the event of a tie a new random map will be chosen. The same 2 maps and game mode FOR 4 HOURS was excruciating.
This.

This must happen, or something to deal with the 4 hour wait. And I'd love to be able to switch load outs between matches.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm still surprised they didn't bump up the maps per rotation from 4 to 6 (3 maps per turf and ranked)
We have enough maps to do that, imo.

On the subject of gloves though, whether or not they are shirt locked...

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
This.

This must happen, or something to deal with the 4 hour wait. And I'd love to be able to switch load outs between matches.
I actually would prefer three stages in the rotation to a voting system. If there was voting it would have a similar problem to mario kart were less popular stages are almost never picked. (Like moray towers and blackbelly skatepark)

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
I think what he (D3RK) was suggesting was that every few hours there are 3 stages to vote on, not the entire stage list. But your point would still factor into that, assuming the "less popular" stages are in the current voting rotation.

Either way, we just need something to deal with the 4 hour rotation. Maybe down it to 2 hours, or do some sort of voting system, or something else. Basically, as long as I don't have to wait 4 hours to play on a stage that I enjoy above the others (cause I just hate it when I have to play Bluefin Depot). I used to dislike quite a few, but not Bluefin's the only one that always makes me groan when it's in the rotation. Most others I can live with.

Again, I really don't have much of a bone to pick with Moray Towers. I get people complaining about Chargers, but you just gotta do some quick maneuvering or stay out of sight. Or maybe I'm somehow just lucky enough to not have much of a problem dealing with them, I dunno. Cause once you get to them, there's not much they can do if they don't already have a shot charged.

By the way, since we're talking stages, I'll just say my two personal favorites (I don't care if they're popular or not). Those would be Flounder Heights and Mahi-Mahi Resort, which I like about equally for both. I'd love for them to return with some new stuff added in maybe.

Last edited:

Joasa

Depressed Squid
I really liked the new map they showed in the demo (The Reef) due to the large, open area. I hate always being pressured by long-range shooters and chargers due to all the narrow pathways in current maps (Port Mackerel and Bluefin Depot, I'm looking at you) I hope they upgrade current stages so that players who lack range have a way to make comebacks and can fight instead of having to hide until enemies move to an area they can kill them without exposing themselves (I'm a roller/brush main if that clears anything up, I'm sorry that I'm terrible at explaining things)

Also I noticed that Inkopolis Square draws heavy influence from Times Square in New York City, including all the giant TV screens and illuminated ads on buildings, particularly the large main building which seems to be directly based on One Times Square.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Well, Inkopolis Plaza was based on Tokyo and the surrounding areas, so for them to parody New York City too isn't really all that impractical (I know you weren't saying it was). Kinda funny actually.

Wonder if they'll parody another major city if a Splatoon 3 were ever to happen, but that's not really on topic right now, nor should it really be up for discussion at the moment.

Inkoming news!

We now have an official name for the new stage with the rock climbing wall that was shown in the trailer! It's called:

Barnacle Sports Club!

(Confirmed by the Japanese Splatoon Twitter)

Last edited by a moderator:

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Barnacles never struck me as the athletic types...
;P
They got a heck of a lot of grip strength on em, though. It's nearly impossible to get them off of anything they've attached to...if they could move, they could lift, bro (in the parlance of weightlifting types)

Anyways, the new map looks cool. I like how the slope of the middle area will funnel bombs down towards the sides. Probably not gonna be a great place to be during that new Bomb Rush-esque special

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Bomb Rush is going to be feared greatly on that map if used in the center.

Still don't exactly know why they didn't use the name GameXplain suggested (cause I'm too lazy to make up my own name), which was "Mussel Gym" for those of you who didn't watch the video, but I guess Barnacles is close enough? Ah well, the developers probably have names settled from the start, and they will do what they may.

And we will all be running from Bomb Rush on Barnacles Sports Club.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
And we will all be running from Bomb Rush on Barnacles Sports Club.
Maybe not while you have the Inkjet charged! If even the bomb's non-instant kill damage is unable able to reach you while you're flying, then you can freely fly up and take out the bomb rusher. Course I am assuming that the way the new Bomb Rush works now is that while activated you can't use your main or sub weapon nor can you move much if at all.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
I was just thinkng of something fun with dualies...what if they had something like a couple of mini splatlings rolling as dualies.....personally Id love it. Ink consumption would be insane tho.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
I personally don't see it happening. I don't think I'd be opposed to it, more so as skeptical of it. It just doesn't make much sense to me why/how you'd be able to lug around dual Splatlings. I wouldn't say it's completely out of the realm of possibility, but there's a very, VERY slim chance of it happening. But you are right, ink consumption would need to be pretty large to make it balanced, especially considering how the Dualies class of weapons comes with the Dodge Roll ability.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
The character customization options by absolute far. Not even that excited for anything else tbh.

CodyMKW

Pro Squid
NNID
CodyMKW
Switch Friend Code
SW-2549-4631-6600
excited for the single player and the new arcade games

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Speaking of the Single Player, I'm sure you might know this by now, but to re-confirm, the events in it will take place 2 years after the events in Splatoon's Single Player. Two years have passed in real life, and two years have passed in the Splatooniverse. Just an FYI, in case anyone missed it.

Jhonnybird

Full Squid
NNID
Jhonnybird2004
Do you know what needs to be adjusted? Octolings only using octoshots.

The unknown map people have seen is called barnical sports club or something like that. Search it up on google.

Last edited by a moderator:

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Ya, we've got that one already. There's one more though, the map that takes place at a Concert Stage, which has no official name yet.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm checkinig the splaton jp twiter daily, waiting...in vain for news about paid online <_>

But hey! I'm always on the up and up about splatoon 2 details!

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
I don't have a Twitter, so I can't check there. I just constantly check via web search if there's any new things announced at least once a day. If there's ever something major announced on there and I don't add it, let me know so I can!

Oh ya, by the way, check the OP for something new that I found, and it has been confirmed by Nintendo!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom