• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd say modes. It has it's own control scheme, after all.

Also, we now have a reliable translation of the Famitsu interview that Ansible found
Courtesy of Nintendo Everything. http://nintendoeverything.com/splat...ons-mobile-app-usage-graphics-hd-rumble-more/

It would seem all main weapons are returning, adjusted or otherwise, along with new main weapons(like the splat doolies)

Octobrush, luna blaster, splattershot jr.,
we gettin' 'em ALL m8ys

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
I haven't looked at the article yet (short on time) but I do know it was confirmed that Crusty Sean is working the food van now. I'll remove the ? by his name. Additionally, though it may have been thought to be known by some, the new pants and hairstyle options are purely aesthetic.

Last edited:

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
From the sounds of that interview, we might be seeing what Callie's been up to very soon.

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
It's basically been said that abilities are tied to hats, shirts, and shoes, just as they were before.

Pants, gloves, and hairstyles are ability-free, though.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Right, what I initially read from Splatoon jp's twitter was that abilities were not locked on gear
meaning you could change abilities, main and sub.

Buuuut that might have been a reference to pants and hair, brb re-reading.

EDIT: I may have mis-interpreted it, I am willing to admit. Translation of the twitter post(in the second post of the first page) includes three untranslated words; atma, fuku, and kuku.
These could mean headgear, shirt, and pants? I haven't a clue.

If gear abilities are still locked, this makes me sad =/
I want to wear camouflage jackets or straw hats AND still use Damage up or tenacity.

"But Green Waffles, if we don't have main abilities locked, we won't be able to tell what abilities other squids have at the beginning of the match." I have heard people say.
You realize that is only half of someone's abilities on showcase. Even if a player has three gear unique abilities, which arguably have more significance than a main of a generic ability, you're still missing 33% of their abilities.

"But then we're inking blind into what everyone wants to do with their abilities. That sounds terrible!"
You get a full picture of what an opponent has when they splat you. Having to wait to get splatted by someone to see exactly what they are using creates an interesting give and take.

Imagine, you've just spawned at the beginning of a match, you've engaged the enemy team in mid.
-You got the splats and control mid! Ngyes! But wait, you still don't know what abilities they have, hmmmm.
-You got splatted... but hey, now you know what one of your opponent's abilities are! And they don't know what you have! Give 'em the hard counter-attack woomy!

Obviously we have to keep unique abilities accessible only by one type of gear, tenacity only available on headgear, ninja squid on shirts, etc.
And there are some benefits to what we have now. Looking back on my fashion over function approach to gear, this forced me to use abilites like :ability_lastditcheffort: or :ability_recon: that I might have completely ignored otherwise.
And the half benefit of seeing some of your allies and opponents abilities could be worth something,
but when was the last time you were able to see all, or even most of what weapons each person is using on top of seeing all(or even most) of everyones gear and make a solid mental connection to what ability that gear has. I can say I've not tried to observe opponent gear this in-depth in solo for at least half a year. How many people will notice abilities on gear that isn't a huge gas mask, samurai helmet, or legendary cap: such as a squid clip, or fake contacts? And for the squad squids in discord chat rooms, for your teammate's ability builds: would you rather frantically try to see their build based on game start view, or just ask them over voice chat? xP

Anyways, that is why I believe full fashion freedom is a better alternative than what we have in Splatoon 1.

That came out much longer than I planned ^_^;

Last edited:

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
I read that the specials are getting an overhaul.
From Hisashi Nogami: "...but all special weapons have been renewed."
You are right, but until I have an official name, I'm calling it Bomb Rush because it functions essentially the exact same way, just looks different. If for whatever reason it is named differently or something else happens to it, I will update it appropriately.

Jhonnybird

Full Squid
NNID
Jhonnybird2004
I've noticed that there's a machine that works which is how the squids respawn.

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
So in the newest CoroCoro Splatoon chapter, it featured the cover art boy from Splatoon 2, referred to as Cuttlefresh. It showed him fighting Goggles' team in Blackbelly Skatepark, so while it may be a bit of a stretch, but Blackbelly Skatepark confirmed to return?

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Agh. Not my favorite map honestly. But like I said, the only one I truly hate is Bluefin Depot so, eh, alright I guess. I honestly expect the 5 original maps from Splatoon (Walleye Warehouse, Saltspray Rig, Arowana Mall, Blackbelly Skatepark, and Urchin Underpass) all to return for Splatoon 2, as kinda a tribute since they were the originals. Maybe they'll have added features too, like Moray Towers.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I may have mis-interpreted it, I am willing to admit. Translation of the twitter post(in the second post of the first page) includes three untranslated words; atma, fuku, and kuku.
These could mean headgear, shirt, and pants? I haven't a clue.
I used machine translation on a jp splaton wiki...

atma = headgear
. . .

Things don't look as good for hopes of fashion freedom in spla2oon.

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
It's pretty much been confirmed with gameplay videos that headgear, shirts, and shoes are still tied together with abilities.

Pants and any other stuff are still separate, though.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've kown that, my hope is that main abilities can be changed.

Das what my lengthy post above is about.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
The Japanese Splatoon Twitter has revealed the name of the final (concert) stage that we saw in the trailer! It will be called:

The Diadema Amphitheater.

Or, at least that's the Japanese name. It's named after a genus of sea urchin, and used to be the place where the band Squid Squad used to play their concerts. No worries though, all the equipment that's still there has been made ink-proof.

I'll add it to the OP.

Additionally, Barnacle Sports Club is the Japanese name. The English name for that stage is Mussel Forge Fitness. I'll be changing that, and will change the Diadema Amphitheater stage name too, if it's different in English.

If you guys want me to keep the Japanese names too though, let me know! I'll just put them next to the English names.

Last edited:

epicRedHot

Inkling
I personally am HYPED AS HECK for Splatoon 2. New weapons? HECK YEAH. New Hero Mode? YEEEES! Pants? *starts singing with an unnaturally high voice* And last (but certainly not least), the idea of pulling out your Switch at a resturant while you wait on your family to finish, and using the free wifi to play Splatoon!? This will be LEGENDARY.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I love how many new abilities and buffs there are. ... On the other hand it makes me wonder if they're also planning buffs for blasters. That won't be fun for me.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
I love how many new abilities and buffs there are. ... On the other hand it makes me wonder if they're also planning buffs for blasters. That won't be fun for me.
Won't be fun for anyone really, and this coming from a part-time Blaster user. Nevertheless, I'm certain they'll do their best to try and make it as fair and balanced as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom