Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coricus

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4794-7152-2904
Callie and Marie are young adults (19 by Splatoon 2) and they aren't significantly taller than the squid kids. Cap'n Cuttlefish is also tiny. There is also Pearl who is 18? And she is so tiny. Personally I am not confident she is an Inkling, though. I kinda dig the theory that she is a cuttlefish.
Pearl's still a squid, she's just based off of one that's. . .

Smol.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
The new music is way different than the rest, definitely not what I expected to hear in this game, but that's all the more reason why I like it! Shipwreckin gets heat for them crazy vocals, but I still love it anyway. I'm a sucker for violin n piano hehe.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
. . .I almost feel like it might indicate sea life larger than Inklings shopping at the stores rather than the scale of the Inklings themselves. You see Inkling sized carts in the picture in my tweet, for example (which are still a little big for the jellyfish).
You may be right. The map isn't currently in play so I went back to the picture. Those appear to be "no squids" stickers where those carts are. So maybe there are preset shopping carts to accommodate different species.

That or those stickers are just stating "DO NOT allow any squid near these carts! We know exactly how they'll use them!"

Award

Go with a bunch of Run Speed and you'll be fine lol
Nice, that's what I decided on after experimentation. How do you feel about new Hydra in the new meta?

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Not sure how I'm feeling about the health recovery change starting after 1.0 seconds. It's both a buff (to the squid) and a nerf (to many weapons). Guess it depends whether or you're attacking or being attacked at a given moment?

And is anyone else feeling changes to the motion controls? I'm not sure how to describe it, but for one I don't feel as much end sway—if that makes sense. With handheld mode they even tinkered with it so you can play it while it's parallel to the ground or almost completely perpendicular. Correct me on that if you could before! Now if they just need to tinker with it so you can play it while on your back...

*When a team of level 15 under beats a team of level 20 up*
*sniff sniff* I's smells a no good, dirty ringer! Da Boss ain't gonna like hearin bout dis![/bad 20's gangster voice] :p

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Not sure how I'm feeling about the health recovery change starting after 1.0 seconds.
Hasn't it always been this way? I'd actually like to know where you're getting this.

I find it interesting how no one here has mentioned that Nintendo accidentally removed the Great Zapfish with the latest update (look up, it's not there). However, I only noticed when I saw several non-Miiverse posts of it. I actually went into Octo Canyon hoping Nintendo secretly expanded upon the single player, but alas, they did not. :(

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Patch notes state they changed health regeneration start time from 1.5 seconds to 1.0 seconds.

Hasn't Callie the Great Zapfish been missing for a few of weeks now? Maybe two weeks at least. I've been seeing at least one Splatverse post about it every time I log in for quite some time. But there have been some more posts popping up about it's disappearance over the last week.

Hoping for some single-player expansion but not relying on that possibility. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
How do you feel about new Hydra in the new meta?
It feels roughly similar to how it played out in Splatoon 1, actually (for now at least, the thing has been out for like 2-3 days). Sure I'll have to get used to the new maps, but even with this aggro oriented meta, you have your get out of jail free card in the form of Splashdown if you over extend or if someone gets too close, since that did not get nerfed (LOL) And Autobombs can make people move out and help you set up by keeping them away.

Chargers are still the thing that counters Hydras best of course, so you have to look out for them just as much, since you are a high priority target. But, in this game they are not as common so without Chargers in literally every single game you can roam free. Still got to play a bit more careful since the meta is super aggressive, but once you get past that it is not a problem.

On a side note....
After some reflection on that new music it reminded me of... well that. :p

Cyan

Inkling Commander
It feels roughly similar to how it played out in Splatoon 1, actually (for now at least, the thing has been out for like 2-3 days). Sure I'll have to get used to the new maps, but even with this aggro oriented meta, you have your get out of jail free card in the form of Splashdown if you over extend or if someone gets too close, since that did not get nerfed (LOL) And Autobombs can make people move out and help you set up by keeping them away.

Chargers are still the thing that counters Hydras best of course, so you have to look out for them just as much, since you are a high priority target. But, in this game they are not as common so without Chargers in literally every single game you can roam free. Still got to play a bit more careful since the meta is super aggressive, but once you get past that it is not a problem.

On a side note....
After some reflection on that new music it reminded me of... well that. :p
I can agree with how it feels to handle Hydra, I've only played the Saturday since it came out but I love it already. I'm both glad and saddened by the fact the kits were changed and it was the vanilla to get Splashdown, not the Custom. I was so ready to have that kit of Ink Mines and Splashdown. Easy 35 damage and marking the enemy so I can see them approach and then use Splashdown as a last resort "get off me or die" attempt if they still survived a few shots. Ah well, I love Splashdown on it, allows for some pretty dumb aggressive moments with the Hydra and it's so satisfying too. Autobombs are as good as ever, but have led me to using a bit of ink efficiency on the Hydra (Finally finished my Black Dakroniks to have :ability_inksaversub:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:). I'm planning on purifying my Juice Parka for all Swim Speed, and whilst I threw on Comeback for that session, I'm going to use Tenacity to eek out more special.

Hydra is very much an anchor weapon, and it still works really well as one, I think it's going to turn into one of my mains. The rotations I got to use it on in Ranked were Rainmaker on MakoMart & Blackbelly and a short while of Tower Control on MakoMart and Port Mackerel. Only map I truly struggled with was Blackbelly, but with how many silly changes that map has for Rainmaker with blocks everywhere it's pretty much a given. Again like Blasters, Rollers and a few short ranged weapons you need map control to succeed in your tasks, but you can still make things work with a loss of control unless your team absolutely sucks because of a bad team comp or general skill unbalance. Just going to end this with a few of my favourite clips from the session, including the ironic use of hashtags (which I never really liked :p)

As a bonus here's 2 insane Rainmaker pushes:

(My favourite comeback, even with the 3v4 disconnect)

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I use Ranged Blaster a fair amount and abuse the blast radius, so the damage recovery thing kinda stinks for me. Though surprisingly it hasn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

I really like some of the new gear. Some of the default abilities paired with the brands are pretty good. They also look relatively nice. There's some good looking items with Tenacity as opposed to that stinking motorcycle helmet. Sporty bobble hat is <3. I also got my hands on a nice looking Krak-on baseball cap with Comeback. It's all actually a pretty good alternative to relying on the Splatnet store.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I keep forgetting how good the N-Zap is. On my hands, anyways. A bit of a boring weapon, but vewy effective.

Maave

Inkling Commander
While the Hydra is fun I'm struggling to use auto bombs with it. It feels discoordinated with the main weapon. Anybody have techniques for using it with the Hydra?

Also the new jazz music blew my mind. It's like the TF2 music mixed with The Seatbelts (Cowboy Bebop OST).

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
While the Hydra is fun I'm struggling to use auto bombs with it. It feels discoordinated with the main weapon. Anybody have techniques for using it with the Hydra?
The sub weapons on the Hydras have always felt disjointed to me, because the main weapon itself is so... sequential... if I can say it like that. Throwing a sub weapon just kinda breaks that flow, so I try to use them in downtimes while repositioning, especially with the Autobomb being able to scout a nearby area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom