Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
It’s like £20/$20 for a whole year right? Just suck it up and make the payment if you wanna play the game. It’s such a small sunk cost it’ll barely matter in the long run. Other paid online services have been around since the start of them and we’ve arguably been very lucky in being able to have it for free all this time. If it has the chance of making the connection better and stop unfortunate players from having gameplay marred with disconnects then surely it’s a positive thing right? Just have some faith in Nintendo. It’s unhealthy to be so pessimistic.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Okay, me using %s = bad, you adding a bunch of costs together = good. Got it.

Listen, it's fine by me if people don't agree with something I say, but to someone on the other side of the argument, you're not exactly coming with a strong case why you already made up your mind. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. I just don't get why you're gonna enjoy the 'ever-living ink' out of something and then saying goodbye to it forever because of <2 bucks a month, and if you keep bringing it up and care about it to the point of having it in your signature, that's only gonna make me wonder about it more.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You wanna talk fallacies, here's one - expecting other people to ignore your posts instead of disagreeing with them. If you don't like the responses you get when you "drone on", you can STOP. No one's obligated to pretend this massive and recurring mound of negativity isn't there, just like you're not obligated to keep posting about it.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
You think I'm not sick and tired of droning on about paid online?
I have been
for a few months

so
stop
POKING ME
every
time
I lightly mention it

Just-

Just ignore me when I mention paid online
It has been clear no one gives a dying rat's last **** about me leaving in september.
Let's just pretend I'm not. Lets pretend switch paid online doesn't exist, and never has. I want to enjoy splatoon 2 while I can, if it wasn't obvious enough by all my recent posts where I make no mention of nintendo playing off a bullshit charge as "special bonus", or my *** **** signature.

EDIT: In fact, don't even reply to this post if you agree with me to not talk about paid online here.
Just go on with the thread like this never even happened. Nothing would make me happier at this point in time.
:D:D:D

I don't mind you talking about it what they are expecting is silly (not really worth the cost), and what they are trying to accomplish is seemingly impossible.

I so actually enjoy talking about this subject because I do realize from Nintendo bussiness aspect this is a serious, and as I mentioned this can literally destroy all support for the switch.

For the most part a lot of what you said make sense, there are some things I do disagree on (like the time thing...but it is moreso that this is a part of a bigger problem I have noticed lately) as most people would but that doesn't invalidate your point.

I guess the reason everyone is tired of the subject is cause we all can see the division this is causing, .
But because Nintendo keeps stalling no one know what we are expecting to come with paid online and all tension has come about from it.

We become accustomed to ignoring or brushing the subject of paid online but in all honestly this is very serious and will have a big impact to the causal and the competitve community that Nintendo is trying to support.

In the end I believe Nintendo will keep stalling for smash bros release (no one wants a switch, smash bros and paid oniline on a single purchase) or they will simply cancel it.
But worse comes to worse I am sure we can help you out so you can keep playing with us

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
SplatoonJP has released 2 snippets of songs being added to Version 3.0 next month from the Chirpy Chips!

Japanese names for the songs are Chip Damage and Battery Full, with Chip Damage being the first song played in the Direct when teasing 3.0 and Rank X. I like both of these songs personally, I love the chiptune style this fictitious band uses and at the same time still retains the Splatoon feel. Chip Damage is the one I prefer by a lot, but they’re both distinct and pleasant to listen too. A shame most of Wet Floor’s song don’t have identity and distinction to stand apart though. I’m hopeful for another 2 songs to be hidden away from Hightide Era, but with not much else said yet I’m doubtful (the last 2 bands added were announced on Twitter together).
I guess I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I'm super happy to see this band returning with some more songs; Chip Damage is for sure my preferred one of the two. As with everyone else, I wish they'd bring back Splatoon 1 songs - my soul longs to play ranked games to Shellfie again.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
and as I mentioned this can literally destroy all support for the switch.
(no one wants a switch, smash bros and paid oniline on a single purchase)
You're really overestimating the impact of 20 bucks a year. The Switch is 300 bucks, and new games are generally in the 40-60 bucks range. 20 bucks is a mere drop in the bucket for a hobby like video games. And it's okay if not everyone pays for the online service. They could have only a small portion of Switch players pay for it and they'll be fine. There's also people not paying for MS or Sony's respective service.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
You're really overestimating the impact of 20 bucks a year. The Switch is 300 bucks, and new games are generally in the 40-60 bucks range. 20 bucks is a mere drop in the bucket for a hobby like video games. And it's okay if not everyone pays for the online service. They could have only a small portion of Switch players pay for it and they'll be fine. There's also people not paying for MS or Sony's respective service.
I guess you are right I am overestimating
*Part of me is a little concerned if this will be the final price of paid online

The support I was refering to mainly in that first quote is community based as @Green Waffles has brought up with the possibility of quiting the game
how many competitive players are going to be eager to keep player with a monthly fee added on or Content creator who are being streched thin as is by Youtube or other channels.

The last comment is simply a matter of analysis. People during an event like black friday are going to be focused on the system or the game...there would be no focus on the internet service.
But if you were to give people a chance to try online for a game as largely supported as smash bros, and then introduce paid online there would be a greater chance of making more profit overall (again moreso a what I would do rather than a it shall be so)

Last edited:

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Wait a second here, this is a discussion forum and I would like to discuss. Just, in a civilized manner. I don't think there's anything wrong with being critical of how the online situation has been handled. They've done a poor job of explaining it. Constant delays, coy behavior and constant dodging of questions, it all comes off as very odd. With announcements like Octo + Smash, they've successfully avoided a lot of confusion from the playerbase, and for good reason. There's a lot of amazing content on the horizon. I easily paid $20 for the Octo pack pre-order because it looked absolutely incredible. Make the online look incredible, and I will be right there with 20 bucks. But the idea that we're supposed to be positive, whip out $20, and just pay it since we're Nintendo fans is rather silly. Don't be afraid to be critical of something you love. I only want Splatoon 2 to have the largest playerbase it can, because in my opinion, it's one of the greatest console shooters we have ever received in recent time. To see a poorly-constructed online service half its playerbase and lifespan would be truly a tragedy. I want Splatoon 2 to have a broad audience that enjoys and loves the game, because dang, it absolutely deserves it.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Wait a second here, this is a discussion forum and I would like to discuss. Just, in a civilized manner. I don't think there's anything wrong with being critical of how the online situation has been handled. They've done a poor job of explaining it. Constant delays, coy behavior and constant dodging of questions, it all comes off as very odd. With announcements like Octo + Smash, they've successfully avoided a lot of confusion from the playerbase, and for good reason. There's a lot of amazing content on the horizon. I easily paid $20 for the Octo pack pre-order because it looked absolutely incredible. Make the online look incredible, and I will be right there with 20 bucks. But the idea that we're supposed to be positive, whip out $20, and just pay it since we're Nintendo fans is rather silly. Don't be afraid to be critical of something you love. I only want Splatoon 2 to have the largest playerbase it can, because in my opinion, it's one of the greatest console shooters we have ever received in recent time. To see a poorly-constructed online service half its playerbase and lifespan would be truly a tragedy. I want Splatoon 2 to have a broad audience that enjoys and loves the game, because dang, it absolutely deserves it.
Okay, sure. Have your civilized discussion. There's little civilized about harping on the same subject in an extremely negative manner repeatedly for over half a year, which we've had here. Reactions like today's don't happen from just one incident.

Good to hear you're positive, and you're right, Nintendo deserves criticism for their handling of the situation... just not like this.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Why do we have to talk about something so serious and technical? Can we talk about puppies or kittens instead?
The game is called Splatoon, not Arftoon or Meowtoon or Cuddletoon!

Last I checked, fluffy animals don't make squiddy noises! Though it seems the reverse is... possible?
63b.png

(besides, I sometimes lean more towards bunnies ¬¬; )

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Good to hear you're positive, and you're right, Nintendo deserves criticism for their handling of the situation... just not like this.
I agree. There's nothing wrong with criticizing Nintendo, and I was upset at first as well when I hear we were gonna have to pay for online.

I just wish people wouldn't go into full doomsday mode all the time. Nintendo came to this pricepoint somehow, so they expect people are gonna pay for it. Yet some people, here and elsewhere, seem to think that if they don't handle it with the utmost care, Nintendo's going to lose a ton of support and Splatoon is going to lose lots of players. I just don't see where that kind of pessimism comes from.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
I think that we should still give Nintendo a fair round even if they're charging for online.

Take PlayStation or Xbox for example. When they started charging for online, I'm sure the community of some online game was affected. Nintendo is gonna start charging soon too. But, is it really such a problem?

Sure, they didn't handle the situation perfectly, but they're Nintendo! I'd think we all know that Nintendo is not perfect, especially when doing something they have never done before. Nintendo, when it comes to online, is still learning. And just because Nintendo starting charging for it now doesn't mean it should be hated. Nintendo didn't charge us for years, which is great, and now they want to charge us. Okay. If you don't like that, they just go buy some single players games, which we know there will be more of. And calling this whole thing a scam surprises me, because what part of it is a scam? Other companies do it. And Nintendo hasn't. Now they need/want to. Please do not use the word scam, because I don't think that correctly says what happening.

And sure, if you don't like $20 a year, then fine. You have your reasons, and that's great. I can't say what you should or shouldn't do.
Now can we, pleaseeeeeee talk about something else? Like, Camp Triggerifsh and Piranha Pit. Do you think they'll make any changes to those stages before releasing them?

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think some people call it a scam because Nintendo's online isn't as solid as the other companies' are. Though this isn't really a problem in Europe, and I can't speak for how much of an issue it actually is in the US. Over here, if you have a good connection, playing Splatoon 2 is absolutely spotless. Ever since I switched to a wired connection (my wifi isn't solid enough as I live in an appartment complex with tons of wifi signals flying around), I've had...I think...3 laggy people and no comminucation errors. And I switched dozens of in-game hours ago.

If Splatoon used dedicated servers instead of peer-to-peer people would have less of a problem. Though I think people shouldn't expect that to be some kind of magical cure (it won't fix anything if people are still playing with their own crappy wifi connections, for example), and I'm sure that even if it did have dedicated servers, people would find other reasons to complain.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Servers also come with a lot of problems. It is not really a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom