Splatoon 2: How did your expectations compare to reality? (poll)

What is your opinion of Splatoon 2 now versus leading up to release?

• Total voters

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Splatoon 2 has been out for a while now, and I think opinions have started to settle, so I thought I'd finally ask the question of what are peoples' opinions about the game now versus their opinions leading up to release? I never thought to ask this before because I thought the result would largely be positive until Elecmaw listed several of the same grievances that I have with Splatoon 2 in another thread.

Basically, I want to see if I'm not a weirdo. :p Splatoon 2 is still a good game, but I can't actually say I prefer it over Splatoon 1 for any reason other than it is being supported, which is something I never would have imagined upon seeing the first real reveal trailer in January. I believe balancing updates and better stage design variety have improved my overall Splatoon 2 experience, but these problems should never have existed to the extent they did and there are still many complaints I have with the game that I know very well Nintendo will not fix with updates.

Reactions: the

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Core gameplay's great. Too bad so much surrounding that gameplay is borked beyond belief. Crazy matchmaking, nonsensical power systems, a tickrate even worse than the first game's, and profound grind for everything. On top of that, there just isn't enough that's NEW here. Jim Sterling gave this game a 7 out of 10, and I'm inclined to agree with him. If the moment-to-moment gameplay wasn't so damn fun I'd probably have checked out by now.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think a lot of the matchmaking issues is that the game is local now. Only so many squids to go around.

I fell the same as others. The game is fun.
Just feels like same ole same ole at times. If it was not for Salmon Run my time on this game would be cut in half. I am glad SR is not all the time or I would of wore that out by now I think.

Padre

Pro Squid
Better, much better for me.
Before release I thought about skipping Splatoon 2 and get ARMS instead. Splatoon 2 looked like the first one. Now: The game is really good, it has downsides but it has already payed itself back, and I am not done yet.
9/10.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
It was much better than I expected. Admittedly I haven't played the first game, just watched a few LPs. I was always interested, because I loved the design of the Inklings, but I didn't want to buy a WiiU.

Then the Switch came out, I was interested enough in the Switch to get it, and Splatoon 2. Admittedly I wanted a port of the original, but then veterans would have no reason to buy the Switch version.

I had my worries, since I've never really had good expectations with playing with others. However, I just absolutely loved the gameplay and atmosphere. The game is still a great cause of frustration, but what can you expect when playing against others? I ended up liking the game enough to actually want to be considered a "good" player. It's still my goal, which is why I actively looked for a community to discuss the game with.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
It's better than what I expected because I was almost afraid it would basically be "Splatoon 1.5". But i'm happy with many of the changes such as getting rid of Damage Up/Defense Up, readjusting the weapons and other activities to do such as Salmon Run. I'd give it an 7.5/10 for now but I think the game will be even better as updates come by.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
It's mostly an improvement over the first game, which is exactly what I expected. And the frequent balance patches to dial things in are extremely welcome (although some of the trial-and-error ups and downs, like with Baller, are a little annoying). There's still room for improvement, especially with matchmaking, and I'm frustrated at the slow trickle of re-releasing old weapons, but mostly I'm satisfied.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I think better than expected overall. It has a few bumps in the road here and there, with some questionable decisions, like balance issues and matchmaking, the latter of which was a problem with the first game too. However, the game is more refined and polished, and despite the change in maps leading to an overall more aggressive player base which I'm not a fan of, it means long range weapons are not the be all end all of the meta like the first game. I feel more weapons are viable this time around, I like the implementation of most of the specials, even if a few had to be nerfed or buffed to make the game much better in some regards. Salmon Run was one of the best things added to the game, giving people a cooperative mode like this helps give the game a sense of having a mode for anyone.

So far the game already feels so much different than it did at launch. I like to imagine 6 months from now its vibes will be even more different, and hopefully the game will have become even more balanced and the game can provide better matchmaking somehow.

The single player I will say was the biggest disappointment in some ways. Having more weapons usable was fantastic, but the stages felt like more fleshed out versions of the first game's single player, and the story and sunken scrolls (the former was really hyped up by pre release promotional material) fell flat for the most part.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
I think better than expected overall. It has a few bumps in the road here and there, with some questionable decisions, like balance issues and matchmaking, the latter of which was a problem with the first game too. However, the game is more refined and polished, and despite the change in maps leading to an overall more aggressive player base which I'm not a fan of, it means long range weapons are not the be all end all of the meta like the first game. I feel more weapons are viable this time around, I like the implementation of most of the specials, even if a few had to be nerfed or buffed to make the game much better in some regards. Salmon Run was one of the best things added to the game, giving people a cooperative mode like this helps give the game a sense of having a mode for anyone.

So far the game already feels so much different than it did at launch. I like to imagine 6 months from now its vibes will be even more different, and hopefully the game will have become even more balanced and the game can provide better matchmaking somehow.

The single player I will say was the biggest disappointment in some ways. Having more weapons usable was fantastic, but the stages felt like more fleshed out versions of the first game's single player, and the story and sunken scrolls (the former was really hyped up by pre release promotional material) fell flat for the most part.
Yeah, I do wish the single player had a deeper plot. Like maybe instead of being hypnotized, Callie was actually so angry with Marie form winning the final Splatfest that she felt Inkopolis didn't want her anymore, so she purposely sided with the octarians to get revenge, except Marie just thought she disappeared.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
It was mostly the same for me, but maybe that's because I already set high standards. The parts that were different were that I thought Dualies would be OP [they are now >:( ], and I thought that all the old Splatoon 1 weapons would be at launch.

iced potato

Senior Squid
I don't know. Somewhere between roughly the same and worse than expected?

There are some things better and some things worse. I guess I'm just not a fan of most of Spla2n's stage designs, specials and I find people aren't as chill compared to Splat1. There just seems to be a lot of over-aggressive players that kill the joy in playing for me.

I also don't really like the matchmaking. I wish there was an option to choose regional or world wide. I have an Oceania copy of the game and 75% of the time I face Japanese players and when Japan has a Splatfest on, it just takes too long for the game to find 8 players. Either I join friends in Europe or America, or I don't get to play much.

Besides those things mentioned, everything else is better than Splat1. I haven't been playing a lot recently, I'm just waiting for a major update to come out. I want new gear, weapons, stages and modes.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Hey that's my name!

All in all, it was worse, but i think worse would be a little bit too much. "A tad dissapointing" would be way better. I know it's easy to get caught up with nostalgia when comparing sequels and the original game, but there are some pretty big shortcomings this game has. In all my opinion, of course.

There are things that this game does way better over it's predecessor, the most strongest point being Spyke and rolling subs. Gone are the days of re-rolling for hours just to get brand-biased subs, now with both boosters and ability chunks you can practically get pures of any gear you want with some grinding. You can also now get even different main abilities, meaning you can have some say in how your squid looks in battle. No more of having every charger main wear the Cyan Trainers + Anchor Sweats + Tennis Headband, now you can be as fashionable as you want.

One thing that i also think got improved a lot is the sound design. Try firing some weapons in S1 and then in S2, in S2 they do really feel like guns that fire goopy fluids. It's something that is easily overlooked, but it still stands out for me regardless.

Now, for the bad:

I think the specials are one of the biggest problems i have with it, from a design standpoint. They don't feel powerful. They don't change the course of the battle like S1's specials did, where a Kraken could pop 2 teammates and even an entire team if the enemy is foolish enough. Broken? Depends on how you see it, the enemy could do the same. You could argue that it gave one teammate too much influence.

In Splatoon 2, specials feel more like tools to help you win the battle. Ink Storm is thrown, place will get hard for the enemy team to pull through. Get to someone close and then Splashdown. It's a lot more utilitarian than the first game. It works better for tournament/team play settings but it makes it miss that sense of chaos that the first game had, where you really felt like you could play hero.

There's also the matchmaking, something that really should be a minor complaint but it isn't. Level 6 players get to join level 50 people in Turf War, and they end about as well as you expect. It's unfair, and i can't really imagine it'll encourage newbies to keep playing to become good when they keep getting stomped round after round. And for the other people who get hung up with a G&K player, good luck, you're gonna need it!

And despite this game's regional matchmaking, i still find lag everywhere. Ballers explode after the special ended. A long-splatted player somehow is still able to throw bombs. People run out of spawn before the game begins. An inkling can materialize ink several feet in from of them. The infamous 16Hz tickrate isn't going to make things better, either.

I could probably fill up entire pages full with ranting, but I'll do my best to keep the remaining stuff short: Salmon Run is a lot of wasted potential and is now just an occasional grind, new weapons and classes added are also wasted potential, new ranked system is bad, story mode and lore being overall pretty disappointing, the new stage designs need a lot more variety, and no more squid jump.
I hold a different opinion than the most of the people in this thread and it feels like they made just about everything slightly worse this time around.

I ultimately felt like they tried to make it both appeal to casual and pro players, but ultimately they didn't succeed at both. Or it just got rushed, that could be it too.

Last edited:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
lmfao its ****in horrible y wud any1 play this trash lol nintendo never lerns

Nah, it's like it is with anything. Not every change they made was gonna sit right with me (the Quick Respawn nerf and removal of some of my favorite gear come to mind), and not all of the new stuff is anything special (Brellas are trash, grinding for abilities is kinda meh). Plus I'm not really a fan of how kill-centric the game is compared to Splatoon 1 (though that could be me misremembering things).

But, on the whole, I still feel the game's a lot more enjoyable than its predecessor. Not having to worry about being at a severe disadvantage by not wearing the exact same shoes all the time certainly helps, but there's also stuff like Distruptor/Bubbler/Damage Up cheese being removed that also betters the experience. And of course there's the little things, like being able to get perfect gear without relying on SplatHax, and character customization beyond eye color and... gender.

All in all, I'd say it's about what I expected, if not slightly better.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
The game definitely improves on most of my issues with the first game. Took out and revamped a lot of the problematic specials, made matchmaking more stricter for less laggy matches, and added a whole lot more content.

Unfortunately Splatoon 2 didn't learn from all of their mistakes, such as the lack of dedicated servers, and just got worse in other cases, such as the tick rate. I can forgive the game for also feeling like 1.5 since the previous game was on the Wii U, so probably not enough people got to experience the original.

Overall, pretty satisfied with the final product, but I still think it was a bit too early to release Splatoon 2. Probably should have waited at least a year after the Switch's launch so that more Switches would have been sold, which equals a bigger playerbase.

shudder

Senior Squid
Tough one, Splatoon 1 felt a lot more fresh obviously, but I'm still having a blast with 2.

What the first game does better
- Ranking system
- WW lobby (this made the game feel a lot more active than 2, a pretty big change)
- No controller latency (currently still an issue with the sequel)

What the sequel does better
- Specials (this is really arguable obviously, although I find the specials more interesting and team dependent, which for me is better since the game is a team game, should be focused more on that rather than individual play)
- League is a nice touch with leaderboards
- Splatnet allows stat tracking to a point, more gear options
- Salmon Run
- Shorter rotation times
- LAN option

Things like maps and music are really subjective, with returning maps from 1 it's arguable 2 already has the edge or will have the edge in that department. Music to me is great in both games.

Weapons seem more imbalanced currently in 2, hopefully more updates will continue to make things seem more even. Brella, for example, was recently buffed and seems like a viable weapon now.

My biggest issue is the biggest issue I had with 1. The online stinks. Even with regional matchmaking I see no difference, just less players now available to play against now, if anything it feels worse at times. My moment of truth with the game and other Nintendo online games will be to see if anything is done when paid online starts in 2018.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
better just for 1 reason only salmon run.................. so awesome to have an option to play something if a map i don't like and for me rainmaker is on lol

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
If the game's tickrate was SERIOUSLY increased, queue times weren't so long, and the maps weren't designed to promote a cancerous hyper aggressive playerbase, it'd blow my expectations out of the water, and then some. As of now, I adore it to death (played about 400 hours), but sometimes the bad really gets to you. Hits not registering, some of my favorite weapons feeling AWFUL, long queue times for Turf War, overaggressive playerbase encouraged by the confrontational and high visibility map design, and low tickrate are Splatoon 2's biggest issues. Good thing the core gameplay is so much fun, heh. For the Splatfest Power and League Power, and the new ranking system being too easy to level up with, I can't comment on those as I prefer Turf War by margins.

Honestly, I think we need to take off the rose-tinted glasses for a second and realize what a mess of balancing issues Splatoon 1 was. Splatoon 1 has a lot of flaws too. Both games have flaws, albeit different ones. I don't think it's fair to give Splatoon 1 a free pass for being new and having novelty at the time to excuse it's fair amount of issues. Damage Up, Defense Up, Quick Respawn + Stealth Jump, Dynamo Roller's kill range at times, Chargers getting their own dedicated sniping perches, broken specials, etc.

tl;dr i love splatoon 1 and 2, both have issues, splatoon 2 met my expectations, all that.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
They improved the game in some aspects and naffed it up in other ways. It's more or less how I expected the sequel of a game as unique as Splatoon to turn out.

I do agree with RespawningJesus that the game was released a bit too early, however.

EarlyCuyler

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5208-7719-6394
You guys seem to forget how abysmally bad the Splatoon 2 story is...Its the same as the first game..almost exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom