• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 isn't going to happen anytime soon

G

girigiriHERO

I really don't understand why people are artificially hyping themselves up for a game that is, in reality, probably a very far way away. Look at Nintendo's track record with some of their IPs.

Mario Kart
console: 1992, 1996, 2003, 2008, 2014
handheld: 2001, 2005, 2011

Mario Tennis
console: 2000, 2004, 2015
handheld: 2000, 2005, 2012

Mario Golf
console: 1999, 2003
handheld: 1999, 2004, 2014

Smash Bros. (one exception, but I'd hardly say it's the "norm")
console: 1999, 2001, 2008, 2014
handhled: 2014

Nintendo isn't Activision or EA, they don't crap out games every year and rip off the consumer leaving them behind with what feels like something that is now useless (basically every sports game once the new one comes out).
If Nintendo was smart, they'd release a Splatoon Remastered or whatever with improved graphics and give a Wii U to NX system transfer for the save data. I for one wouldn't buy an NX for that, but it might entice people who passed up on the Wii U entirely to get an NX. Splatoon has been out for just over one year, 1 year 2 months, and it'll be almost 2 years when the NX comes out. Nintendo's track record seems to be around 4 years+.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Thank you for this!

It is a new IP that has turned out to be popular to be a hit, so surely they'll want to keep a franchise going. But I don't recall viewing any official confirmation of a sequel. And as you've pointed out, it'll be quite some time—another year, two, even three—before it is actually available, which I'm fine with and prefer it that way.

Until then we might get some occasional snacks to tie us over: remaster or compatibility with NX, crossover DLC, eshop or handheld spin-offs, further patches, surprise DLC, etc. After all, Animal Crossing New Leaf is getting some new dlc and it's been around for almost four years.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
God, it's just "MARIO! MARIO! MARIO!" I know it's their mascot but I really am bored of that franchise.

Mr. Gency

Full Squid
NNID
Mister-Gency
Then you look at Pokemon and Fire Emblem...

Pokemon:
Red and Green/Blue: 1996
Yellow: 1998
Gold and Silver: 1999
Chrystal: 2000
Ruby and Sapphire: 2002
Fire Red and Leaf Green: 2004
Emerald: 2004
Diamond and Pearl: 2007
Platinum: 2009
Heart Gold and Soul Silver: 2010
Black and White: 2011
Black 2 and White 2: 2012
X and Y: 2013
Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: 2014

Fire Emblem:
Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light: 1990
Gaiden: 1992
Mystery of the Emblem: 1994
Genealogy of the Holy War: 1996
Thracia 776: 1999
The Binding Blade: 2002
Rekka no Ken: 2003
The Sacred Stone: 2004
Path of Radiance: 2005
Radiant Dawn: 2007
Awakening: 2012
Fates: 2015

Now I'm not saying they should hurry up and release Splatoon 2 or that they should wait, but your post implies that Nintendo always spaces out their releases when that's not entirely true. As you can see, both Pokemon and Fire Emblem had points were they had annual releases with long gaps between games being an exception rather than the norm.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't recall there being a mindset of Splatoon 2 coming out so soon? I always figured it'd be at least 3 years before we get another one. Heck, even a remastered re-release on the NX is a bit too soon (for me) at this point.

G

girigiriHERO

I don't recall there being a mindset of Splatoon 2 coming out so soon? I always figured it'd be at least 3 years before we get another one. Heck, even a remastered re-release on the NX is a bit too soon (for me) at this point.
check Reddit or any other Splatoon foruk (including here) and they are rife with them

Animal Crossing is another example and correct me if I'm wrong, but Nintendo doesn't own GameFreaks do they? They are the developers for the Pokemon games.

I wouldn't say FE counters my point as the last 3 releases have been staggered.

Furthermore to Pokemon, the re-releases don't count as "new" games.

Mr. Gency

Full Squid
NNID
Mister-Gency
Nintendo doesn't own GameFreaks do they?
I don't believe so considering they occasionally make games for companies other than Nintendo.

I wouldn't say FE counters my point as the last 3 releases have been staggered.
Doesn't change the fact that there was a time where they were released annually. Considering my point was that Nintendo isn't above annual releases.

Furthermore to Pokemon, the re-releases don't count as "new" games.
Fair enough.

SleuthMechanism

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SleuthMechanism
Good, i'm glad. I probably won't be able to get the nx any time soon anyway. Honestly i don't get this modern mentality of constant change, it's like people can never be satisfied. x.x Just because splatfest is over doesn't mean splatoon is and IMO the game still has plenty of life left in it!

Commander Fresh

Inkling
NNID
CommanderFresh
Nintendo's history may mean a little less at this current point in time since they appear to be shifting their strategies quite dramatically to guarantee the success of the NX. It's reasonable to assume the Nintendo would want to build hype for it as much as possible, and in a fashion that is different from how they handled it for the Wii U and its failure. Combined with a new CEO, Nintendo is currently anything but predictable.

They had release trends one way or another for many of their franchises, but they also have a lot to lose should the NX flop. We have also yet to see just how the new CEO likes to do business. It's too hasty to assume that Splatoon will not receive a sequel simply because Nintendo has spaced out the sequels of (only a select number of) IPs.

Also, to your Nintendo - Activision/EA comparison, y u sour about life dawg?

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I want them to let the sequel simmer for a few years. Maybe two years into the NX's life cycle would be fine. Any sooner and it probably will be a game that is lacking in some way.

Now, a port of this game to NX would be fine I think. Especially if they let us transfer all our data to the new version, and it has some cool new features. I would certainly get it. Bonus points if it's cross platform, and people with Wii Us and NXs can still play together. Not sure how hard that would be to implement though.

All that being said, we don't need anything new from Splatoon for a while, the NX port would be pretty neat, but unnecessary.

G

girigiriHERO

Nintendo's history may mean a little less at this current point in time since they appear to be shifting their strategies quite dramatically to guarantee the success of the NX. It's reasonable to assume the Nintendo would want to build hype for it as much as possible, and in a fashion that is different from how they handled it for the Wii U and its failure. Combined with a new CEO, Nintendo is currently anything but predictable.

They had release trends one way or another for many of their franchises, but they also have a lot to lose should the NX flop. We have also yet to see just how the new CEO likes to do business. It's too hasty to assume that Splatoon will not receive a sequel simply because Nintendo has spaced out the sequels of (only a select number of) IPs.

Also, to your Nintendo - Activision/EA comparison, y u sour about life dawg?
I don't play Activision or EA games, I have no interest in them, however I do think it's stupid that companies will milk a game every single year with very little to no changes (OMG A DOG!) and people will still pay for that garbage. When I was younger I had the original NHL game for Sega Genesis and I never bought the subsequent releases because I could just trade players in game if I wanted, there was no reason to buy the new one for a new roster.

I think if Nintendo wants to bank on the NX there is an easy solution. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (which we know is coming out), Super Mario Galaxy 3 or Super Mario 64 2 (yes, name it that), Luigi's Mansion 3, F-Zero *insert random letter*

Those games will be more than enough to make the NX sell. I can't realistically see Splatoon even having a bi-yearly release as they would run out of ideas very fast.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i can see a slightly updated port coming to the NX. updates (most likely clothing, weapons, and balancing) would likely span both versions but have some exclusive but very minor additions for the NX ver.

It going to be real interesting, to see how Nintendo handles Splatoon in the medium term, considering its their first truly successful first party shooter(Pull me up if iI'm wrong about this one but i can't think of any pure first party shooter from Nintendo this successful). Its marketable, popular and profitable. I'd rather a staggered release for any new potential games in the series, rather than the once a year COD fest which is churned out and youre essentially paying another $100 for a reskinned game with a few bells and whistles.

G

girigiriHERO

It going to be real interesting, to see how Nintendo handles Splatoon in the medium term, considering its their first truly successful first party shooter(Pull me up if iI'm wrong about this one but i can't think of any pure first party shooter from Nintendo this successful). Its marketable, popular and profitable. I'd rather a staggered release for any new potential games in the series, rather than the once a year COD fest which is churned out and youre essentially paying another $100 for a reskinned game with a few bells and whistles.
First off, I love your name and avatar, sorry to digress.

The reason I don't think they'll release a new one so soon as with 70+ weapons, they can't just add on to that (it will make it over whelming for new players not having played the first), so changes would need to be made, and the same weapons would just be boring (just DLC maps instead). Some people take months to master a weapon and don't want that effort to go to waste because a new one comes out every couple of years.

Furthermore, this isn't real life with a bunch of very similar weapons that look slightly different. It's very easy for random army game to put in "new" weapons, because a handgun will always function the same way. With Splatoon's weapons, a lot more thought needs to be taken in to consideration, in Call of Duty you don't cover the grass/dirt in bullet casings.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
OP, you just echoed my thoughts exactly. Really tired of people talking about Splatoon 2 when Nintendo hasn't mentioned a thing about it. We don't even know if there will be a sequel, so I don't know why people are holding their breath for it. It's stupid. Moreover, if there is a sequel, who says it's going to be any good? Just look at MK8, Mario Party 10, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash for terrible sequels to games that shouldn't have been mutated to the abominations they are now. Heck, I don't even want to get that hyped for new games that Nintendo develops now because they usually end up disappointing me. Nintendo is lazily leaving out features that made the prequels spectacular or changing existing aspects of a game to 'balance' it, and ends making subpar games. But I digress. I'll be hyped for a new game when it's released and I can actually play it rather than beforehand.

G

girigiriHERO

OP, you just echoed my thoughts exactly. Really tired of people talking about Splatoon 2 when Nintendo hasn't mentioned a thing about it. We don't even know if there will be a sequel, so I don't know why people are holding their breath for it. It's stupid. Moreover, if there is a sequel, who says it's going to be any good? Just look at MK8, Mario Party 10, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash for terrible sequels to games that shouldn't have been mutated to the abominations they are now. Heck, I don't even want to get that hyped for new games that Nintendo develops now because they usually end up disappointing me. Nintendo is lazily leaving out features that made the prequels spectacular or changing existing aspects of a game to 'balance' it, and ends making subpar games. But I digress. I'll be hyped for a new game when it's released and I can actually play it rather than beforehand.
Can't say I share your sentiments regarding MK8 as that's the reason I bought a Wii U after playing it for 5 minutes in DonQuihote and it probably one of my most played games solo, online, and local co-op.

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
Are you forgetting Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Smash bros for wii u/3ds, yoshi's wooly world, Mario maker, and Pikmin 3?

Also aside from the battle mode, I found mariokart 8 to be very enjoyable.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
IMO a sequel is inevitable, or, at least, a follow-up. It's a brand new IP, the first major successful new IP for Nintendo in a long, long time. Especially with their new corporate focus on brand power over content itself, they're not going to let a new IP that's doing particularly well in the home market languish.

Cutting the original short due to the running away from WiiU at lightening speed isn't helping matters either. Splatfests for barely over a year is definitely premature for example.

I agree with all the above. Nintendo doesn't milk franchises like EA and Activision, however, Splatoon is a special case as it's a new IP that was undeserved by it's debut game. Think of Mario 1, 2(JP), 2(US), 3, World back to back to back. It was almost a proof of concept that falls short in many areas. You can't tell me they don't know the netcode is disgraceful. They could have fixed it in this game, but no doubt are fixing it for next game, along with major lesson's they've learned about their own level design, mode design, objectives, scoring, etc they've learned watching our metrics. That's not stuff you put in an existing game on a small install base console on its way out the door. But it's also not something you port over to your new platform wholesale as-is. And they can't let Splatoon die off on WiiU and let the brand lose momentum.

I think there will be a Splatoon 2, I think it will arrive relatively soon, before the WiiU base dissolves. BUT that doesn't mean it will be exactly like Splatoon 1. Nintendo doesn't like doing the same thing twice. I don't expect Splatoon 2 to be another pure small map 2 team shooter with 4 modes. Yeah Smash and Kart are like that....but Splatoon has a lot bigger universe to explore in different ways than just "race karts" and "the non fighting game fighting game" limitations of the other two brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom