• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 TEST FIRE

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
Any suggested players who's vids and recorded streams could go on a test fire watching playlist?
I know Silver is definitely gonna do one. And I would imagine nearly all top Splatoon streamers will. Twitch already has a section ready for Splatoon 2 streams, just search Splatoon 2 and click where it says games. Then click Follow this game and you should be notified of people that are streaming it, or at least have quick access to it.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Not even two battles in and already it's disconnection central. Some things never change, I guess.

Having a blast so far, though. Even managed to start a minor squid party at the tail end of on match. Again, some things never change. (Sorry Dess.)
Funny you mention that, my very first match had one lone squid partier on my team that everyone ignored. We lost, of course. Can't break tradition with this curse of mine! :P

That aside, I've thought about it, and here is my opinion on the testfire:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA GIVE IT TO ME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SO FARKING GOOD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Remember to have mercy on the noobs. They won't buy the full game if they're continuously pooped on in the testfire.
Said noobs are also on my team, and if I have to carry them to victory, I WILL :D

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Been looking up videos and a few things I've immediately noticed:
  • Chargers with a full charge glow like a Christmas bulb. Interesting decision.
  • Sub weapons for the Splat Dualies and Splat Roller have been swapped. Now it's a fully new weapon.
  • When a player disconnects their squid icon at the top of the screen is greyed/blacked out completely.

Maave

Inkling Commander
  • When a player disconnects their squid icon at the top of the screen is greyed/blacked out completely.
oh nice, I didn't notice that yet. That small change will be a good salt-reducer. Sometimes in ranked I don't notice when a teammate DCs and I get salty because we get our butts kicked.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I really want to play with those curling bombs! Heck, if they turn out better than expected, I could see myself *gasp* maining curling bombs.

Award

Turf War.
Turf War never changes.

So played the late night testfire. I'm rusty, but it all came back to me rapidly. Screw the jump button being mapped to B. I instinctively hit X every time I wanted to jump and ended up sitting dead in the open with my map up! :P

Of my rounds, 60% or more featured 1-2 players on my team dropping out. 10% featured a player on the other team dropping out. Yup, it's Splatoon as I remembered it!

I noticed there were NO Japanese names. Regional servers?! It may be a thing! Matchmaking was fairly fast, seemed better than in the past but it could be just the nature of the testfire. Game visually is supposedly better but it looks the same to me in motion. Map design is generally tight, the weapons are great. The new roller feels more like a carbon roller than a splat roller, and I played it that way. Felt good. Range attacks are much narrower than before, but it plays nicely as a carbon with a chance of range, it felt like home. Duelies are awesome. OU shooter is still OU shooter...feels pretty samey. Something is wrong with the charger....I can't place what it is but it doesn't feel right. Maybe it's just the new gyros, but it was so hard to hit anything. Somethings just not feeling right about it, though it still feels good to make it work. Enemies seem "smaller" which makes the charger harder to use maybe?

Camera angles need work....sometimes especially zoomed in with a charger it would snap the camera to foreground objects too readily.

New specials are weird....cool, but takes some getting used to....they're pretty crazy overall. And the new "curling stone" sub replacing the seeker is all kinds of weird but fun to play with. Got some accidental splats there.

Overall, having fun with it !

Ansible

Community Ambassador
After watching more videos, it appears that when a roller pulls off a Splashdown they can be splatted at anytime during the animation!

R.I.P. invincibility and semi-invincibility specials

I have made a horrifying discovery:

You can, in fact, squidbag while using the Inkjet.
Nooooo.gif

Last edited:

Award

I also just realized that chargers no longer have lasers! Wow..... Charger still feels wrong somehow....but no lasers is amazing and terrifying all at once! Though if it's still so hard to hit anything maybe it won't matter. RIP charger! I got some hits in, but opponents were still pretty bad players mixed with genuine Splatoon noobs, and experienced players coming to terms with the new abilities and experimenting. In a real high level ranked match with skilled squids evading at full speed, I don't know how the current charger could ever really hit anything. The gyros are great....but hitting that tiny mark is hard enough if they're not moving fast. I think it will require some adjusting for the final game. A lot of adjusting. I haven't seen any charger players doing particularly well and all too many spending forever on a charge trying to line anything up. I'd say "noobs" but I was doing the same.

All the other weapons are a joy though. I'm digging the new roller....it's like splat roller and carbon were fused together and glued to a squiffer. Sneaky Sheldon.....

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I also just realized that chargers no longer have lasers! Wow..... Charger still feels wrong somehow....but no lasers is amazing and terrifying all at once! Though if it's still so hard to hit anything maybe it won't matter. RIP charger! I got some hits in, but opponents were still pretty bad players mixed with genuine Splatoon noobs, and experienced players coming to terms with the new abilities and experimenting. In a real high level ranked match with skilled squids evading at full speed, I don't know how the current charger could ever really hit anything. The gyros are great....but hitting that tiny mark is hard enough if they're not moving fast. I think it will require some adjusting for the final game. A lot of adjusting. I haven't seen any charger players doing particularly well and all too many spending forever on a charge trying to line anything up. I'd say "noobs" but I was doing the same.

All the other weapons are a joy though. I'm digging the new roller....it's like splat roller and carbon were fused together and glued to a squiffer. Sneaky Sheldon.....
Kinda early to be dooming a weapon type, don't you think? That aside, it's a free demo, there's ten thousand newbies and curious people trying it out for every veteran :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom