Splatoon 2 : The sequel ideas thread

How do you feel about thsee ideas

• Total voters

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I totally respect this. If they're going to add X number of modes, you want each of those to be unconventional and nothing simply by the numbers.

I feel strongly about a horde mode because I think Splatoon's unique gameplay just inherently makes it... its own thing. The whole concept of movement in Splatoon is just too good, I would like for it to be applied to as many "typical" modes as possible, as they'd freshen experiences I've had with other games. Let me clarify and say I DEFINITELY do not want a Splatoon Horde mode to just be "camp in one spot, -blank- weapon goes here, -blank- weapon goes there, this one charger must go here". I'm more enamored with the idea of maximizing Splatoon's movement options versus a variety of enemies of wide scales in size. In TF2, you would fight giant robots and I always thought it'd be interesting to be able to climb those in Splatoon using the ink system, for example
The question is, how do you apply the benefits of Splatoon's extreme mobility to what is essentially arena-based combat? If you've got 50 enemies, ground and flying (they'd have to be), barrelling down on you, being able to climb walls or super jump isn't generally going to win you the fight. TF2 does it well, but it has personality in other ways, the weapons and tactics on display there are fairly conventional.

And yeah, it can be cheap. Make the enemy and mode assets, reconfigure them as necessary. There's also the question of what's stopping players from just making large damage fields for foes to wade through. I could go on for a while, but yeah, I don't think a horde mode would be a good fit for Splatoon due to a number of reasons.

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
The question is, how do you apply the benefits of Splatoon's extreme mobility to what is essentially arena-based combat? If you've got 50 enemies, ground and flying (they'd have to be), barrelling down on you, being able to climb walls or super jump isn't generally going to win you the fight. TF2 does it well, but it has personality in other ways, the weapons and tactics on display there are fairly conventional.

And yeah, it can be cheap. Make the enemy and mode assets, reconfigure them as necessary. There's also the question of what's stopping players from just making large damage fields for foes to wade through. I could go on for a while, but yeah, I don't think a horde mode would be a good fit for Splatoon due to a number of reasons.
I'm going to casually cite a manga called Gantz for the sake of comparison. Now, if anyone here is curious about that manga/anime, I recommend you don't look into it unless you're an adult and don't have kiddos around, as the series is HIGHLY nsfw (gore, abundant unneeded sexuality, etc.)

But what Gantz is is a horde mode but in a large, yet contained environment, often taking place in various areas of Japan including neighborhoods and cities, until the series goes crazy and teleports to other places but that's not relevant. Barring out all the plot exposition and character development, it's a variety of enemies in large scaled environments that require movement of every participant (enemies are quick moving, chase the participants to no end, large scale hazards, etc.). There are "bosses" that can't just be beaten with brute force, i.e. making large damage fields in a stationary position. Many of the "bosses", even the basic enemies too, required specific means of defeating them.

If I'm going to apply that to Splatoon, what I see is enemies needing to be defeated in different ways; some need to be splatted, some need to be pushed off the ledge because bubbler-esque properties, some have specific weak points, etc. As for movement, the single player campaign had an interesting scenario for forcing movement: repeated inkstrikes.

I can't go on further, not because I hate talking about this or anything, but I literally can't; while you, I, and others can discuss hypothetical game modes and how dumb it'd be, no matter how passionate I am about a certain idea, the fact of the matter is that it's an idea being placed within something that isn't my creation, meaning no matter how much I get deep into this, I'm positive I don't know what's "best" for something like that. The best I can really say is, despite some pretty awful examples being the most prevalent horde modes and how complicated implementing one into the game may be, I still want one.

If we can't have a horde mode, there's always room for my much MUCH better idea, which is having a friendly fire feature in Splatoon.

Guovssohas

Inkling
NNID
guovssohas
- Maybe make it a 5v5, like some of the biggest competitive games are, like cs;go, dota2 and lol.
- It needs a regional setting imo, since the lag is pretty horrendous at times with japanese players.
- Better in-game performance. On this one the performance drops are pretty significant on certain maps, it just drags the whole experience down since it messes up my aim and such. This is imo one of the most important points to improve, i'm very sensitive to even small fps hiccups. Should stay pegged at 60fps at all times.
- Spectator mode is a must imo.
- Voice chat with mute option.
- LAN support.
- Watching entire replays would be cool.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Make it possible to join ranked matches in single, and have friends join you. Just randomize the teams like in turf wars. It'll be equally as fun imo.
No. If you're on the same team as your friend, you can have a Squad-type advantage. If you're on the opposite team, one of you could throw the game to let the other rank up. The more friends together, the more egregious this can become. Of course, this would not be a problem if everyone were nice and played fairly, without communicating and without bias, and then it would be nice for an alternative to Squads... but that's not the case, so I can't support this suggestion.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
No. If you're on the same team as your friend, you can have a Squad-type advantage. If you're on the opposite team, one of you could throw the game to let the other rank up. The more friends together, the more egregious this can become. Of course, this would not be a problem if everyone were nice and played fairly, without communicating and without bias, and then it would be nice for an alternative to Squads... but that's not the case, so I can't support this suggestion.
Yeeeep, people will take any advantage they can get. This already happens in turf wars with clanners.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
But that goes for anyone that does it. Even in turf war, which is more important than it was before now, you get a "squad type advantage" against the other team if you end up on the same team as your friend. I don't know how the argument really means much if it already has the ability to put people at a "disadvantage" in turf wars... Though don't get me wrong, some people have different priorities. I personally play ranked mostly for fun when I even touch it- and I want to play the game modes as that, for fun. I don't really care about my rank 99% of the time and it'd be cool to have a chance to both fight against my friends and with my friends.

Edit: I actually want to add that the ranked modes are fun and I'd actually enjoy playing them if they weren't overly competitive / more friendly. I should also add I like the colors and i'd enjoy using them more often, but I have very little reason to invest in ranked since it's not very fun when everyone's overly competitive.

Yeeeep, people will take any advantage they can get. This already happens in turf wars with clanners.
I don't see why it's fair for Turf War to get this treatment and not ranked, but I suppose people really play more competitively than I usually do. Perhaps this is just my personal preference in the end.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You gotta understand, people will be hyper-competitive about absolutely anything. Look at the speedrunning community, for example. Clanner shenanigans and whatnot are allowed in turf because it's the "casual" mode. In ranked, having the mode split up into randoms playing together and differently sized groups of friends playing together keeps the playing field relatively even.

It's already infuriating when clanners throw turf war matches so their buddies win, if this happened in ranked the behavior would get even more vile. People will focus on winning, no matter what it takes or how pointless and hollow such a victory will be.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I suppose that a big part of the problem is that that idea doesn't just add something - it unambiguously removes something as well, namely the 'cleanness' of Ranked Battles, without giving a replacement. Otherwise, pretty much as Dess said - it was a valid suggestion to make, so no need to apologise.

Veggi

Inkling
Extra species that you can play as, including some that shoot water would be a cool idea. Also having abilities for the A and B buttons would be cool too and add a lot of variety.

Inkling

-Same as normal but with the A and B buttons having functions

-A: Headbutt: Is an instant kill. This would be a quick instant kill that's even faster than the carbon roller, but has low range and doesn't spread ink.

-B: Squid Vision: Holding down the button allows you to see further down the map, much like how real life squids can adjust how far away they need to see.

Octarian

-Slower swim speed than the squid, but faster run speed.

-Map Skill: If an enemy is damaged, they will appear on the map and clicking on them will allow you to octojump to their location with the same effects as stealth jump.

-A: Tentacle Grab: Slings out a tentacle to a surface. If the tentacle hits a wall it will bring the octarian to it, if it hits an enemy it will bring them to the octarian.

-B: Tentacle Hang: While swimming up a wall, the octarian can change back to humanoid form and start shooting while hanging onto the wall.

Cuttlefish

-Same speed as the octarians while swimming, slower run speed than octarians.

-Clicking on a teammate on the map will shoot you toward them on the ground at high speeds, but during this time you can still use your weapon and sub-weapon. However, if there is a wall the player will crash into it.

-A: Camouflage: Can turn completely invisible without needing ink, but turns into a cuttlefish automatically and moves slowly. While in ink, this moves faster but not as fast as free swimming.

-B: Cuttlevision: Splits the screen into a top half and a bottom half, with the bottom half showing what is behind you.

Sea Slug

-The sea slug is the slowest of all the species while running and swimming, but its swim speed isn't as slow in comparison.

- Map Skill: Clicking on a teammate on the map will shoot a cloud of ink at your teammate that will disguise them and ink the ground below them so they can escape and will also damage enemies, but this can only be done with a full tank and it will exhaust the whole ink tank when used.

-A: Ink Mist: Will spray ink in a mist that will ink the ground below you as well as disguise yourself so that you might be able to escape. This uses the entire ink tank to do and also damages enemies.

-B: Sink: A Sea Slug player can sink so low into their ink that they become invincible and invisible, but the process takes some time. Reemerging also takes some time, making it so it can not be used as a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Water Shooters

Species that use water in their weapons rather thank ink. Water is worse than ink in almost every way, except that it spreads out when it touches the ground. The main appeal of water users is that they have abilities that make up for water being worse than ink. The only function of water is to remove enemy ink and get splats. Species that shoot water completely ignore friendly ink.

Horseshoe Crab

-Runs at the same speed as an inkling.

-L: Hides in shell, similar to how Sheldon pops out from his when you visit his shop. Very quick and increases durability by a lot, but does not make the player invincible. It just allows them to stall while they recover water or wait for a teammate to save them. Using this near a wall will cause the player to climb up it.

-Map Skill: Clicking on a teammate on the map will allow you to build their weapon to use as your own.

-Can equip two main weapons in weapon select.

-A: Change Weapon: Will change back and forth between the two weapons the player is holding, including sub weapons and specials. The charge on each special weapon is kept.

-B: Compound Eyes: Will lock the camera onto the closest enemy.

Jellyfish

-Runs at inkling speed.

-Is not impacted at all by enemy ink on the ground because the player will float over it.

-Jumps high enough that players will be able to go most places squids can go.

-L: Will cause the player to float downward at a much slower speed, allowing the player to make further jumps than any other species.

-Clicking on any enemy on the mini map will shoot a dart that paralyzes the target if they are within view and have ink already on them. This makes the otherwise underwhelming species a dangerous support.

-A: Stinger: Can paralyze the opponent at close range, which causes them to not be able to move until they are attacked again. Pulling this off essentially guarantees a win 1 v 1 and it has a comical amount of range on par with a regular blaster because the jellyfish extends its tentacle out.

-B: Glow: Will toggle glowing on and off. Glowing immediately alerts the team to a location and creates a point sensor effect on yourself for your team.

Prawn/Shrimp

L: Can sprint, but cannot use weapon while sprinting. Can run up walls.

-Has the fastest ground speed even without sprinting.

-Map Skill: Clicking on a teammate on the mini map will cause the player to dash to them at a speed higher than sprint and will run up any walls in the way. When the player gets to the teammate they will clean them of any damage.

-A: Cleaner: Will tear apart any projectile shot at the player, including bombs and the like but the player must be facing the enemy for it to work. The explosions from bombs cannot be countered, however.

-B: Taunt: The prawn will start to dance to force opponents to target them but the dance can be canceled any time.

Anemone

L: Turns into anemone and will expand, paralyzing any enemy that gets hit by it.

-Runs as fast as an inkling.

Map Skill: Will send a clownfish quickly to that whatever teammate was selected on the map and the anemone player can start seeing through the clownfish's eyes whenever they press they press B while the clownfish is on its way.

A: The clownfish will target and point sensor whatever enemy is closest and within vision.

B: The clownfish can be piloted to go wherever the player wants. Pressing A while piloting the clownfish will still allow for point sensoring the opponent.

Last edited:

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
Want the greatest idea for Splatoon 2? Take out gear. It's causing more harm than good. There is controversy save scumming and gear editing, but that's not even a problem in my eyes. The biggest problem is people using them to make bad weapons suck less or eliminate the down side to any weapon. .52 gal, downside is having its 2-hit KO at close range, but with damage up you can nullify it to make it a better version of the .96 gal obsolete. The saving grace for the deco counterpart is the panic kraken, that has a downside of being a bit slower than a regular squid but can be nullified by swim speed. Don't give me that "it makes the game more dynamic" or some sort of that crap. The fact is that people rely on gear to much to make their mains better. They should remove it to make players better with their weapon of choice.

Also, I want an audible hitsound to come out of my TV rather than plugging headphones into my gamepad to hear it. I want to make sure my shots hit.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
The fact is that people rely on gear to much to make their mains better. They should remove it to make players better with their weapon of choice.
I... dunno how I feel about that. I effectively main the SM right now, and goodness does it need abilities. It becomes inordinately more powerful, for example, if it's capable of throwing out bombs frequently and using them to turn 3HKOs into 2HKOs (and 2HKOs into OHKOs). Generally, it feels like the conventionally 'weaker' a weapon is to start with, the greater the benefits it reaps from gear abilities, with some exceptions. Greatly simplifying the gear system is fine by me, but I don't like the idea of losing ink efficiency and other stuff altogether.

jakeoti

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wishsong214
Want the greatest idea for Splatoon 2? Take out gear. It's causing more harm than good. There is controversy save scumming and gear editing, but that's not even a problem in my eyes. The biggest problem is people using them to make bad weapons suck less or eliminate the down side to any weapon. .52 gal, downside is having its 2-hit KO at close range, but with damage up you can nullify it to make it a better version of the .96 gal obsolete. The saving grace for the deco counterpart is the panic kraken, that has a downside of being a bit slower than a regular squid but can be nullified by swim speed. Don't give me that "it makes the game more dynamic" or some sort of that crap. The fact is that people rely on gear to much to make their mains better. They should remove it to make players better with their weapon of choice.

Also, I want an audible hitsound to come out of my TV rather than plugging headphones into my gamepad to hear it. I want to make sure my shots hit.
Here's the biggest counter-argument to your problems with gear: since abilities take up slots, you can use them to make "bad gear" into "good gear", but that means that you give up slots that could be used for other benefits. Taking damage up so that you have better kill ability is nice, but those slots could have also been devoted to things like Special Charge Up to give more map pressure. Or, if Strength is your primary ability, then you've given up some of the primary-only abilities. Meanwhile, weapons that already have immediate kill potential can take abilities such as those.

Also, gear is kind of one of the biggest draws for Splatoon from a cosmetic standpoint. Dressing up the squids in the freshest gear helps its image and appeal outside the competitive level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom