Splatoon 2 : The sequel ideas thread

How do you feel about thsee ideas

• Total voters

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Another thing I'd like to use for Single Player/Hero Mode is the proliferation of an elite unit of Octolings that use special versions of several weapons (Octobrush, Hydra Splatling Octo Custom, Scoped Hero Charger, Octo Sloshing Machine), like an inverted version of the Beauty & Beast corps.- when you beat them in a duel, they'll hop into mini Octo Gears to engage you in mech fights. Beating them unlocks their weapon blueprints for reproduction by Sheldon.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Basically what i'd like to see, aside from more of the same:

-Make gear and perks entirely seperate, and make perks more easily attainable on a non-random basis(Like say, you buy combinations instead, whereas stacking the same ability is more expensive than picking a few random ones). Instead, have gear take over the role as the incentive to keep playing instead, which is attained randomly and maybe even have several 'rare' variants of normal gear you can obtain. Maybe even have a market where you can trade them with other players!
-A lot of people have been liking the idea of an apartment, but i'd like something different like a gym. The idea behind it that it's a customizable semi-stage that replaces the regular training ground, allowing you to place dummies, stage setpieces, enemies, maybe even modificators like infinite ink or infinite specials. Most of these elements are bought, but rare ones are only attainable through methods similar to Spyke from Splatoon 1. Again, these elements can be traded with other players.
-The ability to place stickers on your weapon.
-Bots. The Octolings in story mode are pretty bad, but now that they've had experience with actual people playing we may see some pretty decent bots this time around.
-A challenge mode where you can complete certain missions for rewards.
-Have Splatfests feature gimmicks or other unusal rules that make it more interesting this time around.
-Throw out the rotation system, or limit it to basic turf war. Instead use the same method MK8 uses for stage selection, even if it makes waiting for battle a bit slower. Also, allow the user to pick different weapons during the waiting times and change camera sensitivity.
-Allow users to save Weapon+Perk combinations to quickly select them on the fly rather than hunt and peck them through the menu screen every single time.
-No voice chat, but more advanced methods of communicating than what we have right now.
-Save rank server-side so that rankscumming becomes a thing of the past.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I would personally like:
- Longer story mode / more single player content for people with unstable connections (offline bot battles that don't grant exp for leveling, perhaps?)
- Higher or uncapped leveling.
- More colors. As much as I love the current colors, I really would love it if we got some of the JP splatfest specific colors like the off-white for milk tea.
- The ability to host personal "splatfest" esque events in groups if they don't plan to do major splatfests in the new version. Maybe you can choose what goes on each side and what colors each has.
- As mentioned multiple times in this thread, choosing the abilities you get would be nice
- More accessories, and an option for skirts, pants, and shorts.
- More hairstyles.
- Map rotations are more frequent if they are kept and not replaced with something else.

I could think of more, but this is all I got right off the top of my head.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Reposting from another thread:

Let's see... what do I want to see in the sequel?
  • I'd like to see more variety, of course. More stages, more weapons/weapon classes, more gear, even aesthetic things like accessories, hairstyles, that sort of thing.
  • For the competitive scene, I'd like to see a spectator mode and the ability to save replays to a dedicated website. It'll make it easier to show how matches would go down, and people can see if there was any significant lag. Also, some uber-servers would help alleviate said lag issues. Also also, special pants exclusive to established competitive teams. It sounds crazy, but it'd help give some more recognition to competitive gaming.
  • I agree about the single-player campaign needing more. For my headcanon, it'll involve an underground movement of alternative-rock and indie pop musicians integrating themselves into Inkling society to get away from the rapidly-deteriorating Octo Valley and Octavio's increasingly insufferable attitude. You'd have to fight them in high-stakes Turf Wars to keep the peace in Inkopolis since the city's still not ready for Octarians. Oh, and you can play as Agents 1 and 2, too.
  • Most of all, I want this game promoted like crazy worldwide (almost like Pokemon is currently). I feel that Japan benefitted the most out of the game not just because of the player-base's skill but the constant influx of Splatoon-related material such as the Squid Sisters concerts, the merchandise based on the gear brands within, that sort of thing. We didn't get that much in NA (even EU got the Squid Sisters visiting France's Japan Expo), so I imagine people here are starting to drift off to the old standbys (as well as Overwatch). If Nintendo could keep our attention on Splatoon constantly, we'd have a bigger loyal base.
Of course, I also want the devs to realize the demographics they've attracted beyond their target of kids. I've heard that the NX might be geared towards younger audiences, but I'd imagine people would be deathly salty if they began ignoring the older ones too. Oh, and there shouldn't be too much amiibo content--recycling old amiibo is fine, but too much new stuff might overwhelm us.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
Crazy idea.
No rollable gear abilities. Weapons come with abilities or appropriate lack there (like slow swim speed for custom hydra) Gear comes with one slot and thats it.

Eliminates hackers & scummers advantage

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd like to have a pseudo-Roguelike Hero Mode dungeon where you can get a set number of daily runs per week in a procedurally-generated level, and completing these runs gets you some Super Sea Snails.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Oh, oh, OH! I just remembered something with which I was enamoured but turned out to be a dud.

Skip to 1:03 in the following trailer. (It actually has a whole bunch of beta stuff that looks like it would've been really neat, such as, uh, a Squiffer with Burst Bombs, but this particular thing was probably just made for the trailer and was never playable.)
See the 2D 8-bit animation? I was so excited to play a level that jumped into that mode, even if it would be a one-time neat effect in Octo Valley. As it turned out, it didn't appear in any form at all. But... what about a 2D campaign? This could be a one-time thing in the single-player mode of Splatoon 2, or it could be used in several levels, or there could be an entirely separate side-story, perhaps on arcade machines, playing as a side-scroller, or we could just get a full spin-off game in all of its potential Cave Story glory!

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
In order of most important to least important:
1. Bot matches please? Or at least do what Overwatch does and let me face bots with other people? Well, we got Salmon Run, but...
2. Another singleplayer mode would be nice. Hopefully with a less nerveracking final boss. HAHA, GOT EEM XD
3. Custom Gear sets and perks (I just want a rapid fire weapon with Beakon and Echolocator!) AW, COME ON!
4. If we must have voice chat, I want the choice to disable it entirely; don't wanna hear it, don't wanna use it. HAHA, GOT EEM XD
5. Killing off the progression system is not an absolute must, but lowering the prices of things so that I don't need to play 20 matches just to get a different T-shirt would help avoid fatigue. Not sure about this one tbh
6. If we're bringing Splatfests back in the sequel, I want to pick my own T-shirt this time. AW, COME ON!
7. Changing weapons between fights would be nice. HAHA, GOT EEM XD

Last edited:

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd like to see the abilities get turned into Badges you can 'socket' to your gear, and the brands should have more effect on your gear and weapon performance.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I thought of something else for the sequel! If the squid sisters still play an important role, please stop making them argue so much in the american version when they only playfully joke with eachother in the other versions! Please! I want to see cousin bonding not them constantly at eachother's throats!

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I thought of something else for the sequel! If the squid sisters still play an important role, please stop making them argue so much in the american version when they only playfully joke with eachother in the other versions! Please! I want to see cousin bonding not them constantly at eachother's throats!
More generally: make the US translation suck less. I'm not even in that region and I feel very strongly about it... it changes meaning from the Japanese text, it's cringeworthy, it's... very cringeworthy! Not the only game for which this is the case (layton) but it seems more egregious here than anywhere else.

Maave

Inkling Commander
How about more "party" games for Splatfest. Splatfest is supposed to be fun and exciting, not cutthroat battles for snails. Group boss fights. Squids vs octoling waves. Games like races, balloon popping, hide and seek.

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
idk the one thing I really, really want is tattoos. "Why?" you may ask?
I just want inklings gettin' inked.

How about more "party" games for Splatfest. Splatfest is supposed to be fun and exciting, not cutthroat battles for snails. Group boss fights. Squids vs octoling waves. Games like races, balloon popping, hide and seek.
I've wanted a Horde Mode since Day 1. If there's no Horde mode in the sequel... man.... I might cry

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
I've wanted a Horde Mode since Day 1. If there's no Horde mode in the sequel... man.... I might cry
Honestly, that doesn't sound fun at all. You mean a mode where enemies come in waves/hordes and you have to splat them together with others? Like in those zombie games? That's really repetitive, I regard those games as cheap. I don't want Splatoon to be cheap.
I disagree, Splatfest was always about the snails and nothing else. Why else would you play Splatfests? I mean, the night theme looks nice in the plaza, but that's it. If there were no snails involved, nothing could make me play Turf War voluntarily.
Those mini games (like H&S) that you can play in privat matches could be permanently implemented into the game though, that's not a bad idea. Although not for Splatfests, just as regular mini game modes, as an alternative to TW and ranked.

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Honestly, that doesn't sound fun at all.
Okay, we're all different here so that's okay
You mean a mode where enemies come in waves/hordes and you have to splat them together with others? Like in those zombie games?
Hell yeah!
That's really repetitive
"Damn sure is". snoopdogg.gif
I regard those games as cheap. I don't want Splatoon to be cheap.
Wait.... what???

Usually I wouldn't piece together a post and reply to it a hundred times in post, that's pretty obnoxious, but I found your post to be quite a rollercoaster of ideas. That is to say, I'm confused. I actually haven't played CoD zombies or anything like that all that much, I actually had TF2's Mann Vs. Machine in mind more than anything else, which does a good job at changing things up. But, yeah, there's always this degree of repetition, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. A horde mode I did snooze at was Gears of War's, though, at least in retrospect. My confusion peaks up when you say "cheap"; what do you mean by that? Whatever you may mean, I don't think Splatoon's quality is reduced just for having an additional game mode.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
What I mean is, it's not creative, it's not original, and it gets boring really fast. Because it's extremely repetitive (even when it changes things up, I know what you mean, but the basic idea is still the same).
What I'm essentially criticising is that it's a brute force method of game design, it's not imaginative, it's not elegant in any way (whereas Splatoon is elegant in every possible way). It has no class. It's like b-movies.

It's like taking a hammer and hitting the ground with it for hours. It's dull. At least for me. I'm not saying others can't have fun with that, that's totally fine. If it's fun for you, it's fun for you. Fun is a very subjective phenomenon. :)

But in my opinion that's a game design method that's beneath Nintendo and especially, beneath Splatoon, because Splatoon is so artful and anything but dull. So if they want to add modes to Splatoon, they should be on the same creative level as the other modes.

Just imagine the thought process behind building a horde mode:

"Ok, so we let the player fight 10 enemies in the first wave... and when he gets past that, we hit him with *drumroll* 20 enemies! And after that, we give him 50 enemies... and then we give him 50 enemies with more powerful attacks. And then we give him 50 enemies with more powerful attacks and also the player has less hearts. And then, surprise surprise, we give him 50 enemies that are more powerful, while the player has not only less hearts, but only one life. And so on."

You get what I mean? That's not creative. Anyone can come up with that. Even if you mix things up a bit by adding new elements. It's not sophisticated game design, it's something a toddler could come up with. But sadly, these kind of cheap game mechanics are exactly what's selling well these days, just look at all those cheap smartphone games.

Last edited:

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
What I mean is, it's not creative, it's not original, and it gets boring really fast. Because it's extremely repetitive (even when it changes things up, I know what you mean, but the basic idea is still the same). What I'm essentially criticising is that it's a brute force method of game design, it's not elegant in any way (whereas Splatoon is elegant in every possible way). It has no class. It's like b-movies.
It's like taking a hammer and hitting the ground with it for hours. It's dull. At least for me. I'm not saying others can't have fun with that, that's totally fine. If it's fun for you, it's fun for you. Fun is a very subjective phenomenon. :)
But in my opinion that's a game design method that's beneath Nintendo and especially, beneath Splatoon, because Splatoon is so artful and anything but dull. So if they want to add modes to Splatoon, they should be on the same creative level as the other modes.
I totally respect this. If they're going to add X number of modes, you want each of those to be unconventional and nothing simply by the numbers.

I feel strongly about a horde mode because I think Splatoon's unique gameplay just inherently makes it... its own thing. The whole concept of movement in Splatoon is just too good, I would like for it to be applied to as many "typical" modes as possible, as they'd freshen experiences I've had with other games. Let me clarify and say I DEFINITELY do not want a Splatoon Horde mode to just be "camp in one spot, -blank- weapon goes here, -blank- weapon goes there, this one charger must go here". I'm more enamored with the idea of maximizing Splatoon's movement options versus a variety of enemies of wide scales in size. In TF2, you would fight giant robots and I always thought it'd be interesting to be able to climb those in Splatoon using the ink system, for example

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
Ah okay, than I probably misread your post. Sure, if they come up with a more creative horde mode that really capitalizes on the strengths and features of Splatoon (like climbing on objects through swimming), I would be totally fine with that. :)

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
With the end of splatfest I still want Spla2n to have splatfests again, but perhaps we could vote on topics or directly suggest topics and they choose the most interesting ones. We can also suggest splatfest colors. I also hope that the tannish-white ink color appears as a common turf war ink color. Speaking of that, I don't want colors to be locked between ranked and turf wars. Let anyone have a chance of using all the colors no matter if they play only ranked or only turf wars.

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Ah okay, than I probably misread your post. Sure, if they come up with a more creative horde mode that really capitalizes on the strengths and features of Splatoon (like climbing on objects through swimming), I would be totally fine with that. :)
nah, you didn't misread anything. by those posts alone, your reply made complete sense.

With the end of splatfest I still want Spla2n to have splatfests again, but perhaps we could vote on topics or directly suggest topics and they choose the most interesting ones. We can also suggest splatfest colors. I also hope that the tannish-white ink color appears as a common turf war ink color. Speaking of that, I don't want colors to be locked between ranked and turf wars. Let anyone have a chance of using all the colors no matter if they play only ranked or only turf wars.
YO NOTHING BEATS CARS VS PLANES. BEST SPLATFEST

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom