SPLATOON 3 HOT TAKES

Deepsink

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5185-1960-7222
Not the bird app trend 😭😭
But my hot take is that splat zones is the most boring ranked mode, I just don't find it very fun LOL
I agree its the most boring but Id also say it's like the best designed one cause it doesnt have any major flaws outside of reefslider and vac cheese

roboscout

Inkling
While I agree with the sentiment, I dislike characterizing the devs as stubborn. We don’t know what the development of splatoon 3 is like, so we can’t know the attitudes the devs have on some of these things.
maybe, but whatever the source of the decision on static kits is, it needs to be addressed. Because it has caused a lot of issues over the course of the series.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
What is a hot take about Splatoon 3 that will have you like this?
im not that much a fan of pearl and marinas music in this game. not bad, just not as good as the rest of the music in this game. in general, i think splat 1 and 2 have overall better multiplayer songs. this game has a few really good ones, just not as many as the previous 2 games.

Novaden

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3270-5277-3430
Special output being tied exclusively to paint is unhealthy game design. It encourages boring and uninteractive strategies and takes a lot of emphasis away from main weapon play, which is where I think Splatoon is most interesting and engaging. Most other PvP shooters with special abilities like Overwatch and Valorant tie their specials abilities to damage/kills, encouraging players to play even more aggressively when they don't have special. While I don't think that would entirely work in Splatoon, I think a healthy combination of the two is possible and would contribute to a much healthier meta. This would also close the gap between bomb subs and utility subs since many weapons (I'm looking at you neo machine) would suddenly have better access to their special relative to alternative kits with a bomb that can supplement their lackluster paint.

jimjonjoe

Inkling
I think that the devs need to be willing to change kits post launch. Balance is a very difficult task, and I don't think it's unreasonable that the devs make mistakes during the initial reveal of kits. That's why we have balance patches. Because balance is often a task best performed through trial and error. The fact that the devs are locked into mistakes they made at the beginning of the game makes it more difficult to balance the game and can cause aspects that weren't the primary abusers to get hit by collateral damage.

Sloshing machine was a balanced weapon in previous games, but became broken on launch S3 because it got a kit of fizzy/booyah bomb. In order to finally stop the weapon from being the uncontested best aoe weapon, it needed a big hit to it's firerate that will affect any other kits machine has/will have in this game. It would have been much cleaner if they could have just addressed the source of the problem. Beyond that, kits being static means that any special that turns out bad is going to kill a bunch of kits over the course of the game through no fault of the mean.

I've played games that would swap around secondary abilities between the characters depending on balance. It worked out fine, and the game unquestionably has a better distribution of these abilities now than it did at launch on the base roster. It's overall better for the game if neo sploosh gets something actually useful even if little timmy likes it.

I don't think custom kits is the solution to kit issues like a lot of people think. It would break too many aspects of the game and I honestly feel that variety would go down, not up. But I do think the devs stubbornly refusing to ever change their mind on kits is a problem.
the trouble with this is that they have to find a threshold for weapons to get the axe when a certain kit might just not be good in the current state of the game.

take vanilla snipewriter, for example - on launch, backlines weren't insanely valuable and tacticooler was seen as basically worthless in most team comps. in that specific meta, it probably would have been on the chopping block for a full kit change since it was a niche pick at worst. fast forward to the current meta, where it's basically a must-pick in western comps and people are up in arms about the weapon not getting any changes last patch.

flat out removing kits hurts the meta's ability to organically change, and it could possibly lead to strong-but-unrealized weapon sets being taken out of the game before they're given their time to shine.

MintyMisc

Mint Chocto
Premium
Pronouns
She/They
the trouble with this is that they have to find a threshold for weapons to get the axe when a certain kit might just not be good in the current state of the game.

take vanilla snipewriter, for example - on launch, backlines weren't insanely valuable and tacticooler was seen as basically worthless in most team comps. in that specific meta, it probably would have been on the chopping block for a full kit change since it was a niche pick at worst. fast forward to the current meta, where it's basically a must-pick in western comps and people are up in arms about the weapon not getting any changes last patch.

flat out removing kits hurts the meta's ability to organically change, and it could possibly lead to strong-but-unrealized weapon sets being taken out of the game before they're given their time to shine.
Tbh, a lot of this stems from some subs & specials just being really weak. Everything getting the dream kit would be nice, yeah, but the weakness of stuff like dart or slider needs addressing first, and second is just adding more kits. Hopefully with side order releasing, they’re able to increase new kit output (assuming we get 3rd kits)

Deepsink

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5185-1960-7222
Tbh, a lot of this stems from some subs & specials just being really weak. Everything getting the dream kit would be nice, yeah, but the weakness of stuff like dart or slider needs addressing first, and second is just adding more kits. Hopefully with side order releasing, they’re able to increase new kit output (assuming we get 3rd kits)
I doubt we will get third kits unless they do a like kensa level update which I hope they do

roboscout

Inkling

I don't think you need to attach hard numbers to it, balance is almost never about hard thresholds triggering automatic changes. and even if it was, I don't think the devs would immediately look to changing snipe's kit, considering as you said, every cooler weapon was bad at that point. From a balance perspective, addressing cooler directly would have been a more sensible choice at that point (and that's eventually what happened). Kit changes to me would only come into play when the problem was the synergy between the kit as a whole, or when the devs have basically given up on trying to make a special viable, which isn't going to happen in the first few months of release when everything is developing.

kaasiand

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5912-2184-1423
I think that the devs need to be willing to change kits post launch. Balance is a very difficult task, and I don't think it's unreasonable that the devs make mistakes during the initial reveal of kits. That's why we have balance patches. Because balance is often a task best performed through trial and error. The fact that the devs are locked into mistakes they made at the beginning of the game makes it more difficult to balance the game and can cause aspects that weren't the primary abusers to get hit by collateral damage.

Sloshing machine was a balanced weapon in previous games, but became broken on launch S3 because it got a kit of fizzy/booyah bomb. In order to finally stop the weapon from being the uncontested best aoe weapon, it needed a big hit to it's firerate that will affect any other kits machine has/will have in this game. It would have been much cleaner if they could have just addressed the source of the problem. Beyond that, kits being static means that any special that turns out bad is going to kill a bunch of kits over the course of the game through no fault of the main.

I've played games that would swap around secondary abilities between the characters depending on balance. It worked out fine, and the game unquestionably has a better distribution of these abilities now than it did at launch on the base roster. It's overall better for the game if neo sploosh gets something actually useful even if little timmy likes it.

I don't think custom kits is the solution to kit issues like a lot of people think. It would break too many aspects of the game and I honestly feel that variety would go down, not up. But I do think the devs stubbornly refusing to ever change their mind on kits is a problem.
as a proponent of custom kits myself i wouldn't want them in the entire game—just one permanent extra "everything goes" queue alongside the existing ones that does allow them would do the job fine imo (while not allowing them in the existing queues), with its own matchmaking system that tries to match more popular mains/subs/specials with other popular combinations (so all the burst jet / torp 52 / fizzy shot players get matched with one another) and more niche sets with other niche ones (so the inkmine zipcaster bamboos don't have to deal with them)

(also, rework anarchy series, open, and X to one single queue that does 2 different things depending on if you enter it solo or in a group, because these three queues currently literally achieve the exact same thing: a SZ/TC/RM/CB queue with some sort of visible rank system attached. it's redundant to do this same thing THREE times)

edit: also wanted to mention, while in a vacuum i would be fine with weapons occasionally having their kits changed, i do not trust this dev team to actually *improve* the kits if they were to touch them after they were added

Last edited:

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
The de-ranking system is the worst design choice in the game by a landslide. I would far rather be able to keep my hard earned progress even if it means playing on maps like Hammerhead and Scorch for eternity.
Let me out of S rank hell, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom