Splatoon pet peeves

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
Scales. Scales is my pet peeve.

In order to get them, you have to kill a King Salmonid. It usually takes me 3 or 4 shifts before I can get one to show up, and 4 or 5 is usually how many shifts I play during a Salmon Run session before I get tired and want to do something else, so I don't get scales too frequently, but that's not bad in and of itself.

Then there's the drop rates, and this is where I start to have more issues. I don't think I'm alone in saying that it's a little goofy how low they can be. They also lead to the reward not really matching if our crew succeeded or not. I've gotten gold and silver scales while only getting a King to about half health, but all Bronze when beating a King with more than 30 seconds left. IMO, A successful kill should guarantee a certain amount of silver and gold scales depending on Hazard Level.

The shop is where I have less of a critical problem and more of just a pissy nitpick, but I'll get into nonetheless . Most of the prices are reasonable for someone who plays Salmon Run frequently, and even if plenty of them can be ridiculous, all of the rewards for a while were strictly Salmon Run-themed, so only a big fan of the mode would be miffed about not having them in the first place. Of course, some of the prices in conjunction with the previous issues I've mentioned are just absolutely stupid no matter how I look at it. Then, they added the previous game's Salmon Run gear rewards to this game, and they put them in the stupid scale shop!!! I don't know how else they would integrate them besides letting them be random drops from gear capsules, which would also suck, so I guess this is the lesser of two evils. Still though, why am I paying 300 bronze for the got dang Headlamp Helmet. The S1 Octoling Goggles in particular greatly upset me because that's my favorite piece of gear ever, but I gotta do the dumb scales grind to get it.

This turned into more than a pet peeve should warrant, so I guess my other pet peeve is that the Rise of the Mammalians octoling gear isn't something I can wear. Let me slay, Nintendo. Stop holding me back.
Seriously I feel that, especially because I don't play much Salmon Run

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Scales. Scales is my pet peeve.

In order to get them, you have to kill a King Salmonid. It usually takes me 3 or 4 shifts before I can get one to show up, and 4 or 5 is usually how many shifts I play during a Salmon Run session before I get tired and want to do something else, so I don't get scales too frequently, but that's not bad in and of itself.

Then there's the drop rates, and this is where I start to have more issues. I don't think I'm alone in saying that it's a little goofy how low they can be. They also lead to the reward not really matching if our crew succeeded or not. I've gotten gold and silver scales while only getting a King to about half health, but all Bronze when beating a King with more than 30 seconds left. IMO, A successful kill should guarantee a certain amount of silver and gold scales depending on Hazard Level.

The shop is where I have less of a critical problem and more of just a pissy nitpick, but I'll get into nonetheless . Most of the prices are reasonable for someone who plays Salmon Run frequently, and even if plenty of them can be ridiculous, all of the rewards for a while were strictly Salmon Run-themed, so only a big fan of the mode would be miffed about not having them in the first place. Of course, some of the prices in conjunction with the previous issues I've mentioned are just absolutely stupid no matter how I look at it. Then, they added the previous game's Salmon Run gear rewards to this game, and they put them in the stupid scale shop!!! I don't know how else they would integrate them besides letting them be random drops from gear capsules, which would also suck, so I guess this is the lesser of two evils. Still though, why am I paying 300 bronze for the got dang Headlamp Helmet. The S1 Octoling Goggles in particular greatly upset me because that's my favorite piece of gear ever, but I gotta do the dumb scales grind to get it.

This turned into more than a pet peeve should warrant, so I guess my other pet peeve is that the Rise of the Mammalians octoling gear isn't something I can wear. Let me slay, Nintendo. Stop holding me back.
A few months after the game's release, I was in I think +1, and we got the king down to maybe half health before wiping, and somehow got two gold scales. Two!! At that time I didn't even think it was possible to get more than one!! And then it never happened again (well not counting when they started doubling them for big run). It's so absurdly random.

I wish they would let us exchange some reasonable number of lower value scales for higher value ones. I don't know what that number would be; ~25 maybe? Just something that is low enough to take the edge off the frustration with randomness, but high enough that getting silver/gold scales from kings is still worth celebrating.

briank913

Pro Squid
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
My Pet Peeve is that we get locked out of Anarchy during Fest, and Fizz Bangs honestly are just a nothingburger. I'm with the JP scene on this: Pro should just be regular Turf War. Fizzbangs and pretty decorations aren't gonna get people back to Fests, but Ranked Modes will.

Cephalobro

A few months after the game's release, I was in I think +1, and we got the king down to maybe half health before wiping, and somehow got two gold scales. Two!! At that time I didn't even think it was possible to get more than one!! And then it never happened again (well not counting when they started doubling them for big run). It's so absurdly random.

I wish they would let us exchange some reasonable number of lower value scales for higher value ones. I don't know what that number would be; ~25 maybe? Just something that is low enough to take the edge off the frustration with randomness, but high enough that getting silver/gold scales from kings is still worth celebrating.
Worse yet, there are not only one but two banners that cost 333 Golden Scales, I already thought that one costing that much was bad enough, and then they added another one that cost that much.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
Just remembered another thing about Splatoon 3 that's very annoying.

The gear building system and how long it can take to finish a build, especially when you're starting out.
I currently have builds that I've started working on last season that still aren't finished. Thankfully, I've made enough builds from grinding SR a lot last year that I usually have something I can use for that specific weapon I want to play. That still doesn't excuse how much grinding is needed to even get to that point though, and not being able to even test out the gear abilities without already having gear that just happens to have what you want or using chunks is an unnecessary limitation.
I'm so happy Sendou exists because before I knew about it, I was taking random builds into matches and taking notes on what they changed.

Splatoon in general has a problem with expecting you to grind the game constantly. It's most noticeable in Salmon Run with how they barely give any Scales but still expect players to grind for 333 Golden Scale banners.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Concession drinks. They're so weak. If I'm using an item to increase the odds of getting an ability on my gear, give me the damn ability.
Drinks should give gear an 80-90% chance of rolling the attuned ability.

Cephalobro

Here's another thing that's a pet peeve of mine, the Shell Out Machine having the chance of giving you an emote that you already have.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if it gave the full amount back rather than just 6000.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Another thing, weapons getting white ink frames when they try to fire while out of ink. There is no reason for this to happen, and it just makes recovering ink unnecessarily difficult on a few specific weapons (*cough* Explosher). The least they could do is make trying to fire while out of ink paint the player’s feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom