• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon producer hints at more upcoming content

What do you think is coming to splatoon?

• Total voters

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
At the end of the splatoon koshien tournament, during the crowning of the winner, Hisashi Nogami (splatoon producer) gives a tearful thank you to all the support splatoon has been getting. At the end of his speech, he mentions that, although they said that updates would end in january, there may be more content coming to splatoon. Now it is in Japanese, but someone in the comment section named TheMarkh78 gives a rough translation of what he says.
Hisashi: "Although we've announced that the release of new contents will end in January, we are starting to think if we can do something more. But, please wait a little bit more!"
A full translation of his speech is in the comments below in the video.

Do you think we might be getting more content in the near future? There's also the case with amiibo codes found in splatoon's files. I highly doubt we'll be getting more maps and weapons, but who knows. I've added a poll of potential content, but you can leave more suggestions as well.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
This is the best news! I was hoping the concert/tournament would yield some juicy info, and it didn't seem right it would end without a bang.

My vote is none of the above however. I think they're done with maps for good, but I'm still thinking a new mode would be very possible. Whether that mode involves octolings or not, I don't know. But my vote is new mode. And it would be paid DLC.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Most likely new content:
More gear (because we can never be satisfied with what he have!)
amiibo with more challenges (maybe related to the other two weapon classes?)

Not as likely but still possible:
Playable Octolings (even if they end up being only for the sequel, I for one would like to see how the Octolings are faring after Hero Mode.)
More single player levels (related to the amiibo)

Will have to wait for the sequel:
More weapons/maps (They've already gotten all the weapons and maps out, though there could be exceptions for the Hero Slosher and Hero Splatling [Replicas] if we're getting new amiibo. Even then, they may also add new weapon classes with new mechanics.)
Pants (At this point, the only way I see them integrating pants is if they came with respective shirts for a full gear component.)
Hairstyles (which would be entirely cosmetic)

Things I'd like to see even if they don't consider them at all:
Café duSeiche/CORTTA RPO opening for turf warriors (either as spectator mode or a place to get temp buff/nerf combos)
Spyke making enough money to open a 50s-styled diner/soda fountain (another option for spectator mode)
A singleplayer campaign for the sequel where the Octolings decide to take over Inkopolis without Octavio's help. Clearing it will unlock playable Octolings.

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
Most likely new content:
More gear (because we can never be satisfied with what he have!)
amiibo with more challenges (maybe related to the other two weapon classes?)

Not as likely but still possible:
Playable Octolings (even if they end up being only for the sequel, I for one would like to see how the Octolings are faring after Hero Mode.)
More single player levels (related to the amiibo)

Will have to wait for the sequel:
More weapons/maps (They've already gotten all the weapons and maps out, though there could be exceptions for the Hero Slosher and Hero Splatling [Replicas] if we're getting new amiibo. Even then, they may also add new weapon classes with new mechanics.)
Pants (At this point, the only way I see them integrating pants is if they came with respective shirts for a full gear component.)
Hairstyles (which would be entirely cosmetic)

Things I'd like to see even if they don't consider them at all:
Café duSeiche/CORTTA RPO opening for turf warriors (either as spectator mode or a place to get temp buff/nerf combos)
Spyke making enough money to open a 50s-styled diner/soda fountain (another option for spectator mode)
A singleplayer campaign for the sequel where the Octolings decide to take over Inkopolis without Octavio's help. Clearing it will unlock playable Octolings.
Most likely are the playable octolings and the Marie and Callie amiibos as they were tease red on the official Splatoon of Europe Twitter

Not as likely:
New weapons maps

Sequel if they make one:
New matchmaking
Hair
Pants
New campaign
Apartments or house for inkling

In all honestly I don't want playable octolings

PLAYABLE JELONZO FOR THE WIN

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
At the end of the splatoon koshien tournament, during the crowning of the winner, Hisashi Nogami (splatoon producer) gives a tearful thank you to all the support splatoon has been getting. At the end of his speech, he mentions that, although they said that updates would end in january, there may be more content coming to splatoon. Now it is in Japanese, but someone in the comment section named TheMarkh78 gives a rough translation of what he says.
Hisashi: "Although we've announced that the release of new contents will end in January, we are starting to think if we can do something more. But, please wait a little bit more!"
A full translation of his speech is in the comments below in the video.

Do you think we might be getting more content in the near future? There's also the case with amiibo codes found in splatoon's files. I highly doubt we'll be getting more maps and weapons, but who knows. I've added a poll of potential content, but you can leave more suggestions as well.
I didn't cry when my cat dies but OH GOD THE FEELS

I was six when that happened I'm not cruel

Tifa

Inkling
I mean I literally posted this thread an hour ago but whatever

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
@Tifa sorry :/, i was checking to see if anyone posted it and i didn't see yours (found it now). i'd delete mine, but i don't know how. now to be fair, yours was posted around 15 minutes before mine, so as you posted it, i could've have started writing mine. again, apologies.

mezzo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ledyba
i have a very strong feeling that new amiibo are headed our way for splatoon. also, i have the distinct feeling that there's gonna be more gear coming, as well as perhaps some additions to the single player mode. i'm not sure if playable octolings will ever be a thing in this splatoon game (maybe in a potential sequel though), but i'm prepared to eat my words on this. callie and marie amiibos are the things i am almost 100% sure about.

Award

In all honestly I don't want playable octolings

PLAYABLE JELONZO FOR THE WIN
I am having the happiness to your suggestion! ;)

Aside from that, I'm not so into the playable octolings thing myself, it ruins the squid v squid thing, UNLESS it's part of a mode that involves octolings as team v team. THAT seems like a Splatoon 2 thing - likely a replacement mode for TW entirely rather than an add-on mode. Nintendo . I think a mode that complex is too big to add here, but if it were paid DLC, it's certainly doable. It depends how much they want to extend Wii U and Splatoon as a viable platform which probably depends somewhat on what NX is. I'd think a simpler mode with modest rule changes on existing maps would be a lot easier to add.

Or more gear (there's already so much - not that I'd mind more just because EVERY SINGLE dmg up I have wastes at least one slot on Special Saver, but i don't want to reroll them because the rest is good.) Maybe a new weapon type but I don't think they want to rebalance the whole thing for that so I'd rule that out.

The Amiibo makes sense, but I don't think new side challenges is what they'd really be interested in adding - I think if they add something it would be core content for the multiplayer. Based on past interviews, I doubt they'd want to add more single player. I DO think the C&M Amiibo will be a thing, but I'm not sure "challenges" for single player will be the content. I mean they're even on a desk in Ancho-V, they have to b a thing.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I was really happy to see the video. It really shows how much Splatoon means to the team who created it and how deeply they appreciate the players who have stuck with the game and encouraged them to keep improving it. Nogami showed a lot of appreciation both in his actions and in his words. It's not all the time that you'll see anyone in the gaming industry show such appreciation for the players and their staff. So that's possibly one of the best things about the video. Just seeing how much Splatoon means to the team that helped create it.

More on topic...

I think that a lot of ideas are very possible for Splatoon. The most likely idea, in my opinion, is that Octolings will become playable and a second single player campaign will be added. This isn't a farfetched idea actually. The Octolings have been having steady updates to their data along with every update that the game has gotten. It's not far off the mark to say that it is indeed possible that Nintendo intends to release Octolings eventually. They could, of course, be preparing the data for a future game but that doesn't seem to be a very Nintendo thing to do so I'm more inclined to say that they've been working on the Octolings to gear up for a release.

It would make sense why they are taking a while to release them. A lot of work needs to go into it. They need to finish updating the models to match the Inklings, they need the gear to work properly, they need the weapons to animate properly, and they need to create a male model for the Octolings. This is without mentioning so far that this is Nintendo. I highly doubt that Nintendo would just throw the Octolings into the game - especially when the team says that single player is very important to the game. If Octolings are going to come, there's going to be a second campaign explaining the new friendship as well. :)

I think it would be awesome if Splatoon got a big update for its anniversary. It would be nice for Nintendo to give us a big surprise on the day that Splatoon had been originally released to mark the first year of success for the new IP. :)

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
and they need to create a male model for the Octolings.
Octolings are an all female species, it's part of the lore. They probably won't change that if Octolings become playable.

So sorry, I can just be a bit of a lore nerd at times... Sweatdrops and backs out of thread

(Also your second campaign idea. Yessss, do want!!!)

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Octolings are an all female species, it's part of the lore. They probably won't change that if Octolings become playable.

So sorry, I can just be a bit of a lore nerd at times... Sweatdrops and backs out of thread

I would be super disappointed if Nintendo added Octolings without any kind of campaign or explanation. x3 It's Nintendo. This is the company that goes above and beyond to explain everything in their games... Even if it could be the simplest thing ever. xD

stitchedwithlove

Full Squid
NNID
stitchedwithlove
I'm very certain that they're considering making more Splatoon amiibo. I say this because apparently there was some data found in-game for both a Marie and Callie amiibo, which is no surprise considering their booming popularity (more notably in Japan) and the request from fans for such amiibo.

I really think it's wonderful that they're trying to keep Splatoon alive and kicking for a bit longer. I felt as though Mario Kart 8 didn't do that well in that regard as their DLC was staggered over such a long period, but Splatoon has done an amazing job of providing us content evenly spread out over the past year or so. Their continued dedication to such a fresh and innovative IP has surely kept the fans satisfied and pleased.

EDIT: Also, what's up with the need for pants?! :P Their "bike shorts" or whatever they're called that they wear allow for more flexibility and are more aerodynamic. A lot of girls at my school used to wear these when they were doing running events.

But I do think pants would look nicer with the button up shirts and jackets - especially the jackets.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Also, what's up with the need for pants?! :p Their "bike shorts" or whatever they're called that they wear allow for more flexibility and are more aerodynamic. A lot of girls at my school used to wear these when they were doing running events.

But I do think pants would look nicer with the button up shirts and jackets - especially the jackets.
I doubt we'll be getting more pants option as the update. Most options i just added them so the poll doesn't look empty :p, like maps and weapons.

Award

I was really happy to see the video. It really shows how much Splatoon means to the team who created it and how deeply they appreciate the players who have stuck with the game and encouraged them to keep improving it. Nogami showed a lot of appreciation both in his actions and in his words. It's not all the time that you'll see anyone in the gaming industry show such appreciation for the players and their staff. So that's possibly one of the best things about the video. Just seeing how much Splatoon means to the team that helped create it.

More on topic...

I think that a lot of ideas are very possible for Splatoon. The most likely idea, in my opinion, is that Octolings will become playable and a second single player campaign will be added. This isn't a farfetched idea actually. The Octolings have been having steady updates to their data along with every update that the game has gotten. It's not far off the mark to say that it is indeed possible that Nintendo intends to release Octolings eventually. They could, of course, be preparing the data for a future game but that doesn't seem to be a very Nintendo thing to do so I'm more inclined to say that they've been working on the Octolings to gear up for a release.

It would make sense why they are taking a while to release them. A lot of work needs to go into it. They need to finish updating the models to match the Inklings, they need the gear to work properly, they need the weapons to animate properly, and they need to create a male model for the Octolings. This is without mentioning so far that this is Nintendo. I highly doubt that Nintendo would just throw the Octolings into the game - especially when the team says that single player is very important to the game. If Octolings are going to come, there's going to be a second campaign explaining the new friendship as well. :)

I think it would be awesome if Splatoon got a big update for its anniversary. It would be nice for Nintendo to give us a big surprise on the day that Splatoon had been originally released to mark the first year of success for the new IP. :)
I love all those ideas, but IMO, so much of that sounds like core gameplay/background for Splatoon 2. It's way too big for DLC. A new campaign, new story lore, I imagine a big anniversary announcement would end up landing right before the NX announcements, so it can't be anything that takes away from NX appeal (assuming E3 doesn't announce Splatoon 2 with NX...) And rumor mill pending we're talking about at least half of NX on sale for next Christmas. (I'm still skeptical about that but hardware partners seem to be pointing that way in their own financial projections.)

There's also the other octoling problem: How do you deliver them for multiplayer? This content is supposed to be a reward for existing players (and brand building through goodwill), not a lure for new sales of Splatoon 1. Existing players already have their lvl50 inklings, boy or girl. You can't tell them to delete their character (or create an alt nnid) to try the new octoling content, and you can't say that it's really only for those starting out. So how do you deliver octolings to players who already have their account/character? Unless they add a way to create/play two characters. But other than the model, what's the justification for all that work of supporting mutliple characters per account? It's all too messy. Species selection would have to be for Splatoon 2. I see no way to retrofit it here, UNLESS it's for a new mode, or for a new campaign ONLY. Not that I'd mind a new campaign. But I think they want to favor the online base more.

Also when they listed the end of updates in Jan - they specifically mentioned weapons, gear, maps, modes, rules, etc. While that doesn't exclude octolings, the complexities above kind of do (unless it's to compliment a new mode.) A campaign didn't seem to be on their minds.

What I COULD see is an inkling v octoling mode that presumes it's a training simulator recreating the Great Turf War where your inklings are presumed to be in disguise as an octoling - that way they could keep your character as-is while letting you play octolings. But it would be confined to that mode without having to muck about all game code from the plaza to the gear to the actual account containers and risk breaking things.

Inklings were supposed to be an all female species too (which is probably why octolings are an all female species.) That's why the squidgirl model game first and is arguably better. My guess is they took it to marketing and in 40 seconds were told "uhm, no." Assuming it got to marketing before Miyamoto told them the same thing. :) There's no way the business units are going to let the playable characters be one gender.

I'm very certain that they're considering making more Splatoon amiibo. I say this because apparently there was some data found in-game for both a Marie and Callie amiibo, which is no surprise considering their booming popularity (more notably in Japan) and the request from fans for such amiibo.

I really think it's wonderful that they're trying to keep Splatoon alive and kicking for a bit longer. I felt as though Mario Kart 8 didn't do that well in that regard as their DLC was staggered over such a long period, but Splatoon has done an amazing job of providing us content evenly spread out over the past year or so. Their continued dedication to such a fresh and innovative IP has surely kept the fans satisfied and pleased.

EDIT: Also, what's up with the need for pants?! :p Their "bike shorts" or whatever they're called that they wear allow for more flexibility and are more aerodynamic. A lot of girls at my school used to wear these when they were doing running events.

I think the call for pants is mostly because everyone wants another main slot ;) Also, I could complete my Nerd Squid outfit! :p

Award

And one thing I'd love to see them add, if nothing else, is a higher level cap. There's too many 50's some of whom are 50,s others are the equivalent of 75, 100, etc. I'm getting near the magic 5-Oh and it'll be kind of a sad day when I can't watch the progress bar go up anymore. That would keep replayability fun and requires almost no effort at all for them to implement.

SpaceCanary

Full Squid
NNID
SpaceCanary
And one thing I'd love to see them add, if nothing else, is a higher level cap. There's too many 50's some of whom are 50,s others are the equivalent of 75, 100, etc. I'm getting near the magic 5-Oh and it'll be kind of a sad day when I can't watch the progress bar go up anymore. That would keep replayability fun and requires almost no effort at all for them to implement.
Absolutely! In fact, this was one of my own ideas for what they should do. My other idea was a flashback single-player mode played as Captain Cuttlefish, armed with a Bamboozler. It will probably never happen, but it would be awesome. Other than anything they haven't announced the end to, I don't know what's coming. (But I'm still crossing my fingers for another minigame!)

Tifa

Inkling

Source: Your ***

I mean, DJ Octavio exists as a type of leader of the Octarians, who is male. btfo

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
Source: Your ***

I mean, DJ Octavio exists as a type of leader of the Octarians, who is male. btfo
Ok, calm down Miss salty.

I worded that wrong, I know there are such things as male Octolings, but it seems the only one is DJ Octavio. The Octolings are translated as the Octoamazons in Japan. Real world Amazon females were the ones who did all the fighting and ran everything. They had males in their tribe, but only for procreation. So it would make more sense for there to be only female playable Octolings, but who knows? We don't even know if there will be playable Octolings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom