• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon producer hints at more upcoming content

What do you think is coming to splatoon?

• Total voters

stitchedwithlove

Full Squid
NNID
stitchedwithlove
I doubt we'll be getting more pants option as the update. Most options i just added them so the poll doesn't look empty :p, like maps and weapons.
Ha ha, fair enough! Squid fashion is a pretty important feature after all. It's even mentioned Sunken Scrolls.

I think the call for pants is mostly because everyone wants another main slot ;) Also, I could complete my Nerd Squid outfit! :p
Ahh, I see. Another main slot would definitely mix things up.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm just gonna partially quote myself for now:

At this point, I believe it's all up in the air. Perhaps some new gear/clothing is in order...
...and I'm of the opinion that new Splatoon amiibos are in order as well. Even if all they do is let you play through the existing levels as Callie/Marie, with the Squid Sister clothing replicas as a reward.

I don't wanna think to hard about this stuff, lest I get overhyped for something that isn't guaranteed.

Sparkly Ink

Full Squid
NNID
SparklyGabite
I think the balloons from the Battle Dojo would be a cool multiplayer online game if they tweaked it a little bit.
It made me very happy to see how happy he was. I wanted to sob with him.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I'm just gonna partially quote myself for now:

...and I'm of the opinion that new Splatoon amiibos are in order as well. Even if all they do is let you play through the existing levels as Callie/Marie, with the Squid Sister clothing replicas as a reward.

I don't wanna think to hard about this stuff, lest I get overhyped for something that isn't guaranteed.
My inkling boy would so wear the grilled squid dress & sushi hat! :)

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
That must explain why they had to steal the Zapfish to generate electricity.
what does a race being all female have to do with electricity? or are you trying to make a joke?

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Screw the pants & give me kilts!

If the inkling girls can wear shorts and skirts then so should the inkling boys.

Other than that I'd like a fix to the occasional lag and random disconnects. Anything else is candyland wish fulfilment.

Yet we'll likely get "moar gaer" and some extra challenges, especially with new amiibos. Maybe the new amiibos will add some extra single player side-story content. Adding to the lore. Be nice if we can get some different tentacle hairstyles too.

Sometimes I hate waiting...

SpaceCanary

Full Squid
NNID
SpaceCanary
I just thought of something. . . have they ever released the lab coats that the Squid Research Lab folks wore during the Global Testfire? Because if not, that could be an easy piece of gear to code in, and a pretty sweet-looking one at that.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I am certain that playable Octolings will be saved for the sequel. Everything else has an in-game reason behind it, and this wouldn't make sense in their universe. Rather, I'll bet that if they're making a Splatoon 2 (and I'm sure they are), the story will involve a common enemy terrorizing both Inklings and Octarians, and they will team up to fight this new threat. Or rather, ancient threat, as I'll also bet that the enemy they're facing is also the one responsible for the rising sea levels.

Here's a WMG I wrote upon TV Tropes:

The flooding and the intelligent sea life were both deliberate. And not by humans, though humans became the victims of them. Rather, a civilization from another planet had been looking for another planet to call home after space had run out on their own, but they can only live submerged in low-salinity (but not salt-free) water and chose Earth as it's the only planet they can find with liquid water and a suitable temperature. With their extremely advanced technology, they teleported water gathered from other areas of space and, over a very long period of time, put it all on Earth, hence the rising sea levels, which would explain why there's more water on Earth than it should have and why this excess water doesn't get forced under the crust via plate tectonics.

As they chased the humans off the planet (or killed them off, indirectly or no), they began to colonize in the ever-deepening oceans. However, they discovered Earth has abundant sea life, and using more of their technology, accelerated and guided their evolution to become amphibious, then to live on land, to safely get them out of the aliens' way. The truth, however, is that they don't care one bit about any other life form on Earth and want it all to themselves, intending to submerge every last bit of land so that they can use it. The Octarians, living underground, have somehow stumbled across scraps of this ultra-high technology and have reverse-engineered it to a limited extent (but without fully understanding electricity), hence their more advanced devices.

This extraterrestrial civilization underneath the waves will then be the antagonistic force of Splatoon 2, where Cap'n Cuttlefish will discover something weird in the oceans that leads him to this civilization. Inklings and Octarians will team up when they learn the horrifying history of this planet and fight the aliens' forces to drive them back, realizing the Ancient Turf Wars were the aliens' fault. In doing so, they will hopefully lower the sea levels to open up more land to share, especially as the aliens have no intent to share themselves. The direct result of this is a split among different cities with different cultures, architecture, music, and climates. But Splat Wars will still be popular in every region with a lot of Inklings and Octolings.

I would be super disappointed if Nintendo added Octolings without any kind of campaign or explanation. x3 It's Nintendo. This is the company that goes above and beyond to explain everything in their games... Even if it could be the simplest thing ever. xD
Not really. Nintendo is the company LEAST inclined to explain things, especially when Miyamoto's behind the wheel. Super Mario Galaxy's Rosalina story wasdone behind Miyamoto's back, and he was NOT pleased when he found out it was present on release. Miyamoto was also the one who excised Paper Mario: Sticker Star into a simple Mario vs. Bowser story.

Splatoon is more the exception, where the only senior guiding hand was the late Satoru Iwata, and from what I've seen, he never cared how much or how little explanation there was in the games.

Award

I am certain that playable Octolings will be saved for the sequel. Everything else has an in-game reason behind it, and this wouldn't make sense in their universe. Rather, I'll bet that if they're making a Splatoon 2 (and I'm sure they are), the story will involve a common enemy terrorizing both Inklings and Octarians, and they will team up to fight this new threat. Or rather, ancient threat, as I'll also bet that the enemy they're facing is also the one responsible for the rising sea levels.

Here's a WMG I wrote upon TV Tropes:

The flooding and the intelligent sea life were both deliberate. And not by humans, though humans became the victims of them. Rather, a civilization from another planet had been looking for another planet to call home after space had run out on their own, but they can only live submerged in low-salinity (but not salt-free) water and chose Earth as it's the only planet they can find with liquid water and a suitable temperature. With their extremely advanced technology, they teleported water gathered from other areas of space and, over a very long period of time, put it all on Earth, hence the rising sea levels, which would explain why there's more water on Earth than it should have and why this excess water doesn't get forced under the crust via plate tectonics.

As they chased the humans off the planet (or killed them off, indirectly or no), they began to colonize in the ever-deepening oceans. However, they discovered Earth has abundant sea life, and using more of their technology, accelerated and guided their evolution to become amphibious, then to live on land, to safely get them out of the aliens' way. The truth, however, is that they don't care one bit about any other life form on Earth and want it all to themselves, intending to submerge every last bit of land so that they can use it. The Octarians, living underground, have somehow stumbled across scraps of this ultra-high technology and have reverse-engineered it to a limited extent (but without fully understanding electricity), hence their more advanced devices.

This extraterrestrial civilization underneath the waves will then be the antagonistic force of Splatoon 2, where Cap'n Cuttlefish will discover something weird in the oceans that leads him to this civilization. Inklings and Octarians will team up when they learn the horrifying history of this planet and fight the aliens' forces to drive them back, realizing the Ancient Turf Wars were the aliens' fault. In doing so, they will hopefully lower the sea levels to open up more land to share, especially as the aliens have no intent to share themselves. The direct result of this is a split among different cities with different cultures, architecture, music, and climates. But Splat Wars will still be popular in every region with a lot of Inklings and Octolings.

Not really. Nintendo is the company LEAST inclined to explain things, especially when Miyamoto's behind the wheel. Super Mario Galaxy's Rosalina story wasdone behind Miyamoto's back, and he was NOT pleased when he found out it was present on release. Miyamoto was also the one who excised Paper Mario: Sticker Star into a simple Mario vs. Bowser story.

Splatoon is more the exception, where the only senior guiding hand was the late Satoru Iwata, and from what I've seen, he never cared how much or how little explanation there was in the games.
At fist I wasn't sure of your story ideas, but that would reconcile the fact that Nintendo doesn't like to do the same thing twice (except for Kart & Smash, so it's possible), so that would be a way to make it entirely unlike the first game. I'm still not sure the desire for Octarians though...the aesthetic just doesn't have the 90's funky fresh vibe that defines the game's spirit.

I absolutely love Miyamoto's ideas in general, however, his story aversion does annoy me sometimes. How could the father of Zelda hate story?? I know he personally has an aversion to story, and never really saw the appeal of RPGs, however, one thing I think he gets misunderstood on is that he specifically has an aversion to stories within the Mario universe. His vision (which, we kind of have to accept that his is the only valid vision, since he created it) is that Mario has and needs no story beyond Bowser kidnaps the princess again (really at this point, don't we have to consider that she's not actually being "captured" each time? I mean getting "captured" by the same guy every year or so for like 30 years sounds kind of suspicious... :)) Regardless, his dislike of the Rosalina story (which is sad because the Rosalina story is half of what made Galaxy so magical and what made MG 2 so empty) wasn't specifically because he disliked the Rosalina story idea but because he didn't accept it for a core Mario title. Similarly, the travesty that was Sticker Star is because it was a Mario title. I'm not sure whey he felt the need to do that with Intelligent Systems game and not Alpha Dreams.

But lets not also forget Miyamoto's the reason Splatoon isn't a game about "squids" which would probably have been a forgotten game and "another Wii U failure" back in June had he not said the squids alone wouldn't sell. His mark is already on Splatoon, and it's better for it. And he doesn't ALWAYS hate story like he does in the Mario universe. In fact, he's the inventor of story in video games to begin with. Framing the original DK with an intro cutscene and ending scene, and having each level actually progress the story (in the limited manner of the time.) along with the cabinet art. Technically the existence of story and cutscenes in video games was his idea to begin with, so he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt when he says "story doesn't belong here."

I suspect he's doubled down on his anti-story philosophy as he's seen how other developers focus so much on developing a story and designing a game around it that he goes a little too far the other way when putting his foot down and saying "design the game, then shoehorn a story to tie it together!"

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
But lets not also forget Miyamoto's the reason Splatoon isn't a game about "squids" which would probably have been a forgotten game and "another Wii U failure" back in June had he not said the squids alone wouldn't sell. His mark is already on Splatoon, and it's better for it.
Say what now? I vaguely remember hearing about this, but I can't remember where.
(I do remember reading in Nintendo Power back in the day about the Rosalina situation. Sometimes I wonder if that's not the reason SMG2 felt like a disappointment on the story front.)

Anyway, I know it kinda doesn't count, but to me the Smash/Mario Kart/Pikmin 3 DLC is evidence that they wouldn't feel the need (or even bother) to justify having playable Octolings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom