• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Sploosh-o-matic: Analysis and Thoughts

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Bear in mind that the actual DPS will be lower than just damage * fire rate, because the abysmal accuracy means not all shots will hit.
The same can be said about the other close range weapons, which take more shots to splat. In any case, at the range you're using this gun it might not be as severe as an Aerospray at max range.

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Wait, this thing has less range than the Aerosprays? I mean, I felt like its range was short, but damn.
It's a good thing the Sploosh-O-Matic has great flanking potential thanks to its decent fire rate and power, because everything else about it is just not right. It doesn't have enough spread to be great for covering turf in a wide area (that's what I was expecting when I looked at this thing), its range is seriously tiny, its sub-weapon doesn't fit its design (Squid Beakons are useful, but this weapon needs a bomb-type sub) and its special and its special doesn't fit it at all (Killer Wail should never be on a close-range weapon, at least in my opinion).
This might be an alright weapon, it's certainly good for ambushes (granted, so are Inkbrushes and Carbon Rollers, but still) and I've had some success with it, but it might have the worst possible loadout (even Echolocator would be better, at least you'd instantly get your ink refilled after using it without having to set up a murderspeaker first). I hope the inevitable Custom/Deco version has a better loadout (not that that would be difficult), like Seeker/Bubbler, or maybe Burst Bomb/Kraken.
I just checked its loadout from the leaks "Neo variant", it gets point sensor and Kraken (oh boy, another Kraken), It is a little better, but it does not fix the many glaring issues with this weapon. This is going in the competitive trash bin along with the rapid blaster and the Inkbrush.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
THIS WEAPON IS OP! I got 30 kills in my first game with it(tower control, A+). I think I'm gonna use this weapon in the next Splatfest.

The Sploosh-o-matic is weird. It feels like a stronger aerospray, but with even less range. It might be good if you face-rush enemies, but most of the times you will get outranged.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I just checked its loadout from the leaks "Neo variant", it gets point sensor and Kraken (oh boy, another Kraken), It is a little better, but it does not fix the many glaring issues with this weapon. This is going in the competitive trash bin along with the rapid blaster and the Inkbrush.
Oh.
Well s***, that's not good.
The sub-weapon, I mean. Kraken's a fine special (though it could've gotten more out of Inkzooka/Inkstrike) since it moves fairly quickly (and Swim Speed Ups affect it, right?) so it can be good for closing gaps or just escaping bad situations. But Point Sensor? This is not a weapon that can get mileage out of Point Sensors, it needs a not-quite-point-blank-range attack badly to be usable over Aerospray MG/most Rollers/Luna Blaster as an close-range-centric weapon (though perhaps Ink Mines would have been okay too).
That's a shame, because it's actually rather good at ambushing. It just needed a better sub-weapon to fix its blatant midrange weakness (and maybe a different special).

NamelessCrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TylerBlind
Honestly, it could be because I'm biased and was hella excited for this weapon from the start (the neo variant more so) but it doesn't seem that bad. It's definitely weird though. And you can definitely get more use out of it's counterpart Splash-o-Matic or from the Jr. or anything really.
The only major downside I found with it is the inability to win most gunfights due to range. Other than that, if you play like I do and try to avoid most confrontation and stick to getting higher ground and going through side routes, it covers turf exceptionally well. Couple it with swim speed to get around quicker, and it works pretty well.
All in all, there are definitely better choices, but it isn't as bad as most people immeadeately make it out to be. But, that could just be me

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Oh.
Well s***, that's not good.
The sub-weapon, I mean. Kraken's a fine special (though it could've gotten more out of Inkzooka/Inkstrike) since it moves fairly quickly (and Swim Speed Ups affect it, right?) so it can be good for closing gaps or just escaping bad situations. But Point Sensor? This is not a weapon that can get mileage out of Point Sensors, it needs a not-quite-point-blank-range attack badly to be usable over Aerospray MG/most Rollers/Luna Blaster as an close-range-centric weapon (though perhaps Ink Mines would have been okay too).
That's a shame, because it's actually rather good at ambushing. It just needed a better sub-weapon to fix its blatant midrange weakness (and maybe a different special).
Well, to be fair, point sensors can help make an ambush easier to pull off by making you aware of the enemy's movements (works quite well in Port Mackerel's center)... they're easy to underrate due to providing no immediate combat advantage, but they're so cheap to throw you should be making a habit of doing so whenever you can't shoot your foes, or wherever you suspect enemy presence. If nothing else, your more battle-ready teammates will benefit from the knowledge.

But, I digress. This weapon seems to take an Engineer mentality: avoiding direct combat whenever possible to plant teleporters (squid beacons).
For a close-range weapon, it is really quite passive, only engaging in conflicts it is absolutely sure it can win.

I'd highly recommend some sort of stealth perk with this weapon, either ninja squid or cold-blooded, because it's not like an inkbrush which
can use it's speed to outmaneuver enemy fire. If you're noticed wielding this weapon before getting in range, you've probably already lost.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
I gave the Splooshomatic a spin just cuz I thought it'd be hilarious. I was right, it is hilarious, but I actually love it! It's basically Spy (TF2): The Gun. You have to be really sneaky and get in close to your enemies. It's really good at killing if you're close. It's also good at covering turf; the shots come out quick and it has ink efficiency for days so you can just shootshootshoot squid forward shootshootshoot etc and you'll be competitive in terms of points of turf inked in turf wars.

Key abilities: Ninja Squid - I think this might be necessary, even. Your strategy should be to sneak up on people, after all.

Swim Speed up is the 2nd most useful ability I think, but it's not necessary. It'd just be helpful since you'll likely be in squid form a lot, plus you'd probably want to counteract the slow from ninja squid

every other ability seems unnecessary for this weapon, since you won't be using your subweapon in combat / you don't need your special that much / it already has fantastic ink efficiency. So if you can get Ninja Squid and max Swim Speed Up, that'd be pretty ballin I think

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I gave the Splooshomatic a spin just cuz I thought it'd be hilarious. I was right, it is hilarious, but I actually love it! It's basically Spy (TF2): The Gun. You have to be really sneaky and get in close to your enemies. It's really good at killing if you're close. It's also good at covering turf; the shots come out quick and it has ink efficiency for days so you can just shootshootshoot squid forward shootshootshoot etc and you'll be competitive in terms of points of turf inked in turf wars.

Key abilities: Ninja Squid - I think this might be necessary, even. Your strategy should be to sneak up on people, after all.

Swim Speed up is the 2nd most useful ability I think, but it's not necessary. It'd just be helpful since you'll likely be in squid form a lot, plus you'd probably want to counteract the slow from ninja squid

every other ability seems unnecessary for this weapon, since you won't be using your subweapon in combat / you don't need your special that much / it already has fantastic ink efficiency. So if you can get Ninja Squid and max Swim Speed Up, that'd be pretty ballin I think
Yeah after giving this gun a spin I too felt like an assassin. Protip: learn to ink and hide on random walls.

But while this gun certainly has great potential for inking, in practice the extreme caution you need to exercise when facing enemies often greatly
inhibits the points you can earn.

Ninja Squid is great and all, but an enemy echolocator can totally nullify it's advantages. Consider cold-blooded instead: you can still move unseen through
ink by swimming slowly.

Other abilities to consider are damage up (enough defence ups can unfortunately reduce this weapon to a four shot kill... and am I the only person that JUST noticed some the dummies in the test area have defence ups on them?) and quick super jump to use your beacons more effectively: sometimes this is the only way out of a stick situation.

Short272

Inkling
NNID
27Short
This weapon is completely outclassed in every way by almost every weapon. It's only strength, killing quickly in close combat, is nullified by lag in my experience.

That being said, I can't put this thing down!! I have no idea why. I think it's just so fun. The sub and special don't work well with it at all and I love it for that. I love the challenge of being forced to super jump around the map mid-battle so I don't lose gunfights. And somehow I'm getting great results consistently.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
This weapon is completely outclassed in every way by almost every weapon. It's only strength, killing quickly in close combat, is nullified by lag in my experience.

That being said, I can't put this thing down!! I have no idea why. I think it's just so fun. The sub and special don't work well with it at all and I love it for that. I love the challenge of being forced to super jump around the map mid-battle so I don't lose gunfights. And somehow I'm getting great results consistently.
This weapon truly teaches you how to be stealthy in Splatoon. You don't have an offensive sub, you're not an inkbrush who can run away from trouble, but in exchange the gun has one of the quickest TTK's of any weapon (even beating some rollers due to their swing time) and has near bottomless ink reserves so you can cover pretty liberally and place beacons efficiently.

Get used to creatively hiding on walls of any kind while enemies pass by and you will reap rewards.

Short272

Inkling
NNID
27Short
This weapon truly teaches you how to be stealthy in Splatoon. You don't have an offensive sub, you're not an inkbrush who can run away from trouble, but in exchange the gun has one of the quickest TTK's of any weapon (even beating some rollers due to their swing time) and has near bottomless ink reserves so you can cover pretty liberally and place beacons efficiently.

Get used to creatively hiding on walls of any kind while enemies pass by and you will reap rewards.
I'm finding this gun to excel in Splat Zones and Tower Control more than it does in Turf Wars. The fact that its a stealthy CQC weapon with quick ink coverage makes it a strong counter to the Tentateks, Blasters, Snipers, etc. Everybody is all ready for a battle against ranged opponents. Nobody is prepared for an "in-your-face-then-gone" Sploosh player. I keep coming out on top of A-rank ranked matches, so there's clearly something to this gun. But I'd rather use an Aerospray or N-Zap for Turf Wars.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I'm finding this gun to excel in Splat Zones and Tower Control more than it does in Turf Wars. The fact that its a stealthy CQC weapon with quick ink coverage makes it a strong counter to the Tentateks, Blasters, Snipers, etc. Everybody is all ready for a battle against ranged opponents. Nobody is prepared for an "in-your-face-then-gone" Sploosh player. I keep coming out on top of A-rank ranked matches, so there's clearly something to this gun. But I'd rather use an Aerospray or N-Zap for Turf Wars.

As effective as this tactic can be, if your team can't pull it's weight you'll find it very hard to actually get anything done, so saying it hard counters the weapons you mentioned is really a stretch when they can still beat you easily if they hold good positions. Luckily your Killer Wail is good for getting snipers or other perched players off so that you can maneuver into a better position. I would imagine it does better in ranked modes due to the focus on a particular objective making it less likely for enemies to notice you approaching. And even fewer players pay attention to walls behind them as they're rushing out of spawn to get back to the objective.

At the start of the battle it's probably best that you hang back and focus on getting your special, strategically placing beacons along the way. Definitely don't forget to take the time to place them when there's lulls in the action.

Short272

Inkling
NNID
27Short
As effective as this tactic can be, if your team can't pull it's weight you'll find it very hard to actually get anything done, so saying it hard counters the weapons you mentioned is really a stretch when they can still beat you easily if they hold good positions. Luckily your Killer Wail is good for getting snipers or other perched players off so that you can maneuver into a better position. I would imagine it does better in ranked modes due to the focus on a particular objective making it less likely for enemies to notice you approaching. And even fewer players pay attention to walls behind them as they're rushing out of spawn to get back to the objective.

At the start of the battle it's probably best that you hang back and focus on getting your special, strategically placing beacons along the way. Definitely don't forget to take the time to place them when there's lulls in the action.
That's generally my strategy actually. And yes, this gun is a good counter but only if your team is putting pressure on the opposing team, which is usually the case. I mean if your team can't put pressure then your team is just bad. You won't be winning regardless of weapon choice.

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17
I honestly see no point in this weapon besides its cool name. It's just a .52 Gal with ridiculously poor range with a slightly better firing rate. I mean seriously, at least give it the range of the Aerospray and Splattershot Jr.

Lag Chan

Inkster Jr.
Oh wow, I'm surprised at the negative reception this is getting. Just recently got a chance to use it and I've been adoring it. It's an odd weapon for sure, tons of bullet spread and terrible range means you really have to work for those kills, and the lack of a grenade don't help it's long range game. It's all about being quick on your feet and catching enemies off guard.

Similar to what Marraphy said above, it does heavily remind me of Team Fortress 2, not only the Spy class in general but also Scout's primary the Scattergun. It forces you to get up into the face of your enemies and promotes a run and gun style of play, though in Splatoon's case, splat an enemy and get out of there before someone with better range comes.

It's also insanely effectively at inking, the sheer rate of fire in such close quarters means it's perfect for quick inking, especially when it comes to making getaways. The tactic of inking and squidding in enemy territory to get out of harm's way is very easy to pull off here. Makes sense since this weapon seems to promote a more sneaky playstyle of getting behind and placing the beacons down for your team to use. Again, almost like you're playing Spy.

Of course I can completely understand how people can hate this weapon. It's not easy to use, if you go in there treating like the Aerospray or any other rapid firing weapon, you will get splatted a lot. Rollers are a nightmare to deal with here and trying to splat anyone head-on won't be easy. Also Killer Wail and Beacons aren't exactly popular choices for sub and special, coupled with how little people enjoy playing support, it's not going to be a big crowd pleaser.

Personally I could see this weapon being one of my all time favs, up there with the Dynamo Roller as a weapon not many are going to love, but it'll find a nice little niche fanbase that'll crop up when you least expect it.

Zahntavier

Senior Squid
I recently rediscovered this gun, and have been enjoying its assassin style. Ninja swim up close and splat em quick!

Short272

Inkling
NNID
27Short
This is the gun that reminds me that every millisecond counts. Up close, there's no reason to win against the Sploosh. We'll see how it does when local matches become a thing, taking the lag factor out of the equation.

doritos29

Senior Squid
NNID
5thelement
How should I handle a roller nearby when I use this weapon? When I sneak up behind them, they always seem to turn around and one shot me. Should I take a different approach or should I just avoid them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom