• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Squid Digs (Clothing Aesthetic Vs. Function)

What Do You Care More About If You Had To Choose

• Style

Votes: 36 73.5%
  • Perks

Votes: 13 26.5%

• Total voters

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Now one of the things that really got me interested in Splatoon was the clothing/aesthetic of the game. I find myself quite interested in fashion and find Splatoon's inspiration really interesting. Quoted from Edge issue #279 from May, "So when they were in secondary school , this was back in the 90s, when street fashion and trainers were in" when asked what prompted the streetwear/skater style getup for many of the inklings. This choice can also be seen in the graffiti laden environment of the world. This also might be a little heads up on what kind of styles we might find in the world.

Now I myself adore streetwear trends and somewhat avidly follow Japanese fashion culture and English alike. Streetwear has somewhat come and gone in the UK and feels to be transitioning and I can't really comment on Japan right now, I don't know it well enough. But either way I absolutely adore the vibe the game has, bright, colourful and full of attitude!

One thing that has me slightly concerned however is the focus on perks/attributes on the clothing, my biggest fear is that my style won't work with it's stats. So I'm hoping for weekly refreshes or a reforge style option similar to that of Destiny. Something that allows us to work the perks around to our own desires. However this does remove the potential for an aesthetic and function relationship where running shoes make you faster and motorcycle boots boost your defence.

So I'd be interested to see how everyone feels about that. Also what are your favourite styles, what look will you be going for!?

[Fun Fact: The Inklings only gain full control of their form when they hit 14, so we can assume all the Inklings in the game are 14+]

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
I'm more than likely going to have two sets of clothes; one for competitive play with perks, and the other for style, haha
Also, I'm sure my friend @MoonMonkey would be happy to tell you about his need for pirate hats in this game :D

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
I think a lot of it has to do with how clothing with multiple perks you can unlock ends up working. If you still have to pick just 1 of them to effect you in battle, then I think it'll be pretty easy to get clothing you like with perks that you enjoy having. But it every perk your hat unlocks actually has an effect in battle, then certain combinations are almost definitely going to be better... and hats with more perks decidedly better than hats with just 1.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
I think a lot of it has to do with how clothing with multiple perks you can unlock ends up working. If you still have to pick just 1 of them to effect you in battle, then I think it'll be pretty easy to get clothing you like with perks that you enjoy having. But it every perk your hat unlocks actually has an effect in battle, then certain combinations are almost definitely going to be better... and hats with more perks decidedly better than hats with just 1.
That's a good point, for some reason I considered it more of a linear path, there is hope! And I do definitely hope it's true, it'll be a sad day if some perk combos are simply too good and I end up rolling out donned in a fedora, turtleneck and sandles all in the name of increased damage.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
That's a good point, for some reason I considered it more of a linear path, there is hope! And I do definitely hope it's true, it'll be a sad day if some perk combos are simply too good and I end up rolling out donned in a fedora, turtleneck and sandles all in the name of increased damage.
Well, since the screen display seems set up around having 3 perks active, I wouldn't worry too much. I think the items with multiple perks means you'll have to pick 1 of the perks it offers to have an effect. It makes those clothing options more versatile instead of more powerful.

Oni

Full Squid
If its one or the othher im going with effect.

This is (turf) war. War isnt pretty, it is efficient and deadly.

But yeah i would rather be powerful than pretty. I dont care about looks in real life so i probably wont in game.

StarKun

Full Squid
I'll most likely be using the school girl outfit, so what would be the point of perks

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'd definitely pick aesthetics over function. Although I do want to play this game fairly competitively I'm a lot more comfortable and a generally better player when I have an avatar/profile/etc; I'm happy with. It's odd, I know.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
I'd definitely pick aesthetics over function. Although I do want to play this game fairly competitively I'm a lot more comfortable and a generally better player when I have an avatar/profile/etc; I'm happy with. It's odd, I know.
Oddly enough I'm seeing more of this than the opposite which I didn't expect. I'm the same and I expected to be an outlier in the results honestly. Nice to see people really getting into the aesthetic of the game!

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I really dislike how clothing affects stats. I want to express myself. ;_;

Probably still going to do that anyway. :P

Probably wii only have one piece of clothing that has buffs I like.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm more of a stats kinda person so that. I like how they incorporate stats into the clothing.

Although, there are people out there who prefer it just to be aesthetics.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Style, obviously. If stats end being a big deal I will just stop playing the game then.
This is (turf) war. War isnt pretty, it is efficient and deadly.
This is also a cute game about customization, not Call of Duty.

TotesTim

Inkling
I usually try to find a nice balance between looks and stats in games with systems like these, but if I had to pick one, it'd be style for sure.

Arne

Full Squid
NNID
Arne83
I don't care about perks. For me, it's all gonna be about looking good. Fashion Squids!

TheSpeedyMouse

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheSpeedyMouse
Fun Fact: The Inklings only gain full control of their form when they hit 14, so we can assume all the Inklings in the game are 14+]
However, like I said in the beta, they look like kids, so they must mature slower than humans. Or that is how they look like as adults. :p

Anyways, for me its fashion over function. I don't care if my Inkling has the best gear or my main in Smash is in a low tier (Though Sonic was buffed to be top tier :p); I just care if I am enjoying myself. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom