• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

SquidBoards Chat 01: Where Are We Now?

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
20190920_143533.jpg

Splatoon. Two months since the Final Fest and last major update--what're yall up to now?

Unintentionally I became one among many that super jumped out of the game post-Final Fest; then dumped a good couple hundred hours into Dragon Quest Builder 2. Wasn't until the past week that I finally jumped back into Inkopolis and the Splatoon community to build some new adventures in familiar lands.

I felt like playing Splatoon (2 & 1) again--so I'm playing!

But what about the rest of yall? Anyone still occasionally playing; taking your own vacation from the game or just sitting out until a speculated Splatoon 3 is finally announced, or maybe you're hung up on other games such as Fire Embelm and Smash Ultimate? You making or enjoying any Splatoon fanworks, perhaps catching competitive streams or just watching whatever Splat-related videos crop up?

radio-fashion

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3797-5332-9696
I've been trying to keep my interest in the game, a discord I'm in is even doing a custom splatfest! ...which happened to fall the exact week my switch online ran out. So unfortunately, I can't even do it ;w;

I have to admit I've been paying less attention to the game after the final fest though... so many other games have been coming out, it's hard to stay interested in a game that is so built around online stuff when you know nothing new is going to come. But I think I'm just going to have to dive back in once I get my online again!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Like a lot of people, I'm pretty much done with Splatoon at this point. The cons outweigh the pros currently, but I won't bring that up for the umpteenth time. Still, I'll load it up occasionally to help out my friends, particularly one friend who's running a competitive team. I'll be back for Sploot 3 and likely post way too much once more :oops:

Beyond that, I've got a job that keeps me out of the house for 10 hours of the day and a loving wife. I'm plenty busy. Games that have had my attention lately are Earth Defense Force 5, Torchlight 2 (yay Switch port!), Blasphemous, and Link's Awakening, among others.

Raumdeuter

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4621-1461-0439
I've still been playing as usual like nothing happened but for now I got my University course to focus on so hence I won't be playing as much.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Life threw me a curve ball but I'm finally getting back into Splat. I don't play nearly as much as my Splat1 days. I need a bit more variety. I still have a bunch of weapons I haven't tried in Splat2 though so there's plenty to learn.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Personally, I have been busy with work, training, and reconnecting wiht my friends irl

Recently I have spreading my love for video game post final splat fest, I been playing Smash bros, Kirby Clash, Star wars Battlefront 2 and a few other games, I haven't been on Splat2 in a while I kinda reach my main goal in game with Rank X

I might get back into the swing of things soon though I miss the memes and you know actually being good at a game so might setup some lobbies in the near future for that, as well as work on commissioning a better profile pick

I am predicting though that there will be an annoucement for a Splatoon 3 by E3 2020 and might make a hype thread to that soon (or could talk about it here idk)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I hear yall; there are so many games I won't to play that came out this year but I already have quite the backlog!

Doesn't help that many of the games I want to play or in the backlog are at least 60+ hours. And then there are the infinity hours type games that have no real end, like Splatoon (obviously), Animal Crossing, Puyo Puyo, and any fighting game you can think of. In fact, I'd say observing my fighting game friends and the fighting game community unknowingly encouraged me in playing Splatoon endlessly--I'm gonna have my lows, I'm gonna have my highs, I'm gonna have my salt; if I don't want to play then quit and play something else; if the game is old or unsupported but I enjoy it then play the damn game!

Makes me want to put some real proper effort into a fighting game! Splatoon and my backlog could get in the way though. Along with Windjammers and Puyo Puyo on occasion. >_>;; And sure, we have Smash but its online shenanigans often drives me to give up for weeks at a time... -_-

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I mean generally speaking, I've only really ever played the game on an on and off basis, especially after I reached X on everything except Clam Blitz. After that, I pretty much just hopped on for Salmon Run.

Though at the moment, I decided to be a little more active and decided to actually go for that X rank in Clam Blitz. And still the casual Salmon Run to Pro-500.

Though of course life is happening and another MMO on my plate.

Last edited:

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Though of course life is happening and another MMO on my plate.
*perks over shoulder*
Which MMO is that? I've been thinking about trying that Final Fantasy because every once in a while I wind up with some promotion code. I hear the base game is now fear but sweet-baby-squid-jebus does the UI look complicated!! :scared:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
*perks over shoulder*
Which MMO is that? I've been thinking about trying that Final Fantasy because every once in a while I wind up with some promotion code. I hear the base game is now fear but sweet-baby-squid-jebus does the UI look complicated!! :scared:
Nah, I'm more of an action KMMO type of guy. It's a semi-obscure MMO called Elsword. I've been in that community long before this one. I have my qualms with that game too, but I can't deny it has good game feel.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Oh speaking of MMO's Apparently they added DC Universe for free to the switch

I have played that on and off for a little bit after finding out about it port, it is a simple UI, and has very entertaining wacky movement (you swan dive up building with acrobatics)

Btw I never played Elsword what is it like?

Last edited:

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Oh yeah, completely forgot that now exists--makes me miss City of Heroes/Villains... :(

Elsword I feel I may have seen an ad for when I wasn't using adblocker, no offense. lol

I wound up dropping out of MMOs as there was a stretch I couldn't afford anything current enough to run them on even low settings and/or the monthly subscription. Not entirely rough days but wallet tight all the same.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
My internet is still absolutely skanked, so I can only play when I go somewhere else. That's the only real thing keeping me from dumping thousands of hours more into this game. I'll admit, I think Ninty took a misstep with the final patches (RIP Stingray, your nerf was not deserved) and I wish they'd have kept Main Power Up, Booyah Bomb, and Ultra Stamp for Splat 3. Despite the, in my opinion, questionable balancing decisions of the final months of its life, I still try and play Sploon every weekend with my team. The game hasn't lost its luster for me, and I hope it never does.

Squidge

Inkling
Stopped playing Splatoon 2 and bought a Wii U for cheap playing for the first time the first Splatoon. Love it. Not as polished as 2 but idk. Feels good. Also don't need to pay to play online, havnt had much connection issues, not much hackers and less squid bagging. Hope 3 comes out. Miss the splatfest. The make your own splatfest on 2 isn't really working as they said. Too annoying like setting up voice chat. Lol.

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
I've missed out on WiiU, as I was a broke high school kid back then, so I've never played Splatoon. I've picked up Splatoon 2 not caring about things like splatfests, simply because I wanted to play this game since it was announced. I'm considering the time I put into this game as my attempt to get good at it before Splatoon 3 comes out. I'll pre-order whatever new system Nintendo announces along with Splatoon 3 on day one. It's the game I've been looking for, a shooter that feels fresh with it's mechanics and controls.

The funny thing is that the more I play it, the more I feel like new weapon classes are a net negative to the game, and that it would be MUCH better if it had nothing but shooters and rollers. Also, the fact that they replaced old panic specials with new ones is just silly, it removes some strategy from the game.

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
I'll admit, I think Ninty took a misstep with the final patches (RIP Stingray, your nerf was not deserved) and I wish they'd have kept Main Power Up, Booyah Bomb, and Ultra Stamp for Splat 3. Despite the, in my opinion, questionable balancing decisions of the final months of its life, I still try and play Sploon every weekend with my team.
I'd say that sting ray and booyah bomb break the game, as the first one is nearly useless and super easy to dodge, not to mention that it's damage output is laughable after nerfing. The way it works is just wrong, and it's like a crappier version of tenta missiles, which have the benefit of revealing where enemies are for a short while. Booyah bomb is THE panic button special of Splatoon 2, and the only thing needed to fix it is to remove the shield boost it provides to the user. Don't get me started on the baller, which is the second worst special in the game.

Having only splashdown, tenta missiles, ink cloud and sub spam specials would make the game MUCH better IMO.

Stopped playing Splatoon 2 and bought a Wii U for cheap playing for the first time the first Splatoon.
I've looked at prices of used WiiU systems, but it seems that people here charge a lot for it (~$200 is what I'd have to pay for used one in unknown condition). I'm considering to just use CEMU once I build a new computer to play it instead, as it seems there's only one minor graphical glitch in the game related to the skybox on one map, and even online works perfectly, and I can use the Switch Pro Controller instead to play it.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I've missed out on WiiU, as I was a broke high school kid back then, so I've never played Splatoon. I've picked up Splatoon 2 not caring about things like splatfests, simply because I wanted to play this game since it was announced. I'm considering the time I put into this game as my attempt to get good at it before Splatoon 3 comes out. I'll pre-order whatever new system Nintendo announces along with Splatoon 3 on day one. It's the game I've been looking for, a shooter that feels fresh with it's mechanics and controls.

The funny thing is that the more I play it, the more I feel like new weapon classes are a net negative to the game, and that it would be MUCH better if it had nothing but shooters and rollers. Also, the fact that they replaced old panic specials with new ones is just silly, it removes some strategy from the game.
I'd say that sting ray and booyah bomb break the game, as the first one is nearly useless and super easy to dodge, not to mention that it's damage output is laughable after nerfing. The way it works is just wrong, and it's like a crappier version of tenta missiles, which have the benefit of revealing where enemies are for a short while. Booyah bomb is THE panic button special of Splatoon 2, and the only thing needed to fix it is to remove the shield boost it provides to the user. Don't get me started on the baller, which is the second worst special in the game.

Having only splashdown, tenta missiles, ink cloud and sub spam specials would make the game MUCH better IMO.

I've looked at prices of used WiiU systems, but it seems that people here charge a lot for it (~$200 is what I'd have to pay for used one in unknown condition). I'm considering to just use CEMU once I build a new computer to play it instead, as it seems there's only one minor graphical glitch in the game related to the skybox on one map, and even online works perfectly, and I can use the Switch Pro Controller instead to play it.
I don't want to come off as condescending, but I'm sure I will, so here we go.

If I'm inferring correctly, you are implying that you haven't played much Splatoon so far, (<50 hours) and it shows.

1. Having only Shooters and Rollers would be disastrous, because Rollers are much, much weaker than Shooters.
2. Removing panic specials actually greatly increases the strategy. Before you could just pop, say, Kraken, and with no thought process at all get out of jail for free. In Sploon 2, the specials are all much slower and more vulnerable, so you have to strategize a little bit when you want to use one.
3. Your use of the word "broken" is incorrect. In a game like Splatoon, "broken" is a stand-in for "game-breakingly good". You call the Stingray broken, but you then go on to explain how it is the exact opposite. It then seems like contradict your own definition of broken later on when talking about Booyah Bomb, as you want the armor removed, thus implying that you think it is too powerful.

Also, Stingray isn't garbage like you think it is (although it's not borderline broken like it was in the past either), you just probably haven't run into a good player using it. Ray is not a worse version of Tentamissiles either. Ray is designed to used in tight chokepoints to apply extreme pressure and get kills, whereas Missiles are designed to deal map-wide chip damage and scatter the enemy team.

4. Baller is one of the better aggressive specials in the game. I'm going to hypothesize a bit here:

You call Baller the 2nd worst special in the game, yet near the bottom of the post, you say you want to keep Splashdown (the main panic button, and one of the weakest specials of S2) in the game. If I were to guess, your favorite weapon has Splashdown on it, and since Splashdown instantly breaks the Baller shield, you think Baller is a weak special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom