Super Sea Snails: how will we get them?

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
do we know for a fact that ordered gear will have the same skills on it?
Yep. In the direct, when they discuss special orders, the final confirmation screen shows the exact piece of gear selected, including the item (in this case a green hoodie), its number of stars, and the perks it has, down to the letter. The part that really convinces me is the tiny moment we can see on the video that comes immediately afterwards. Once the player finalizes the order, we can see for only a split second a screen that says "Open Orders", with a single entry that takes up about one third of the space. That entry is the exact item, perk for perk, that the player ordered.

If anyone wants to see for them self, here's a link to the American direct for convenience sake, since I know each region's was a bit different. The explanation of Ordering begins on at 16:05 in this video. To see the final screen I mention will require some careful pausing, it's only up for a few frames. Those frames are perfectly clear though.

I'll just attach my shot for anyone that doesn't feel like doing that for easier comparison

Edit: May 28th: New info says this is wrong. I am changing these to avoid confusion.
Splatoon Perk Conformation.jpg

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Yep. In the direct, when they discuss special orders, the final confirmation screen shows the exact piece of gear selected, including the item (in this case a green hoodie), its number of stars, and the perks it has, down to the letter. The part that really convinces me is the tiny moment we can see on the video that comes immediately afterwards. Once the player finalizes the order, we can see for only a split second a screen that says "Open Orders", with a single entry that takes up about one third of the space. That entry is the exact item, perk for perk, that the player ordered.

If anyone wants to see for them self, here's a link to the American direct for convenience sake, since I know each region's was a bit different. The explanation of Ordering begins on at 16:05 in this video. To see the final screen I mention will require some careful pausing, it's only up for a few frames. Those frames are perfectly clear though.

I'll just attach my shot for anyone that doesn't feel like doing that for easier comparison
Oooh really loving this. Seems really convenient and rewards you for battling more people. This also makes the death screens during matches make more sense because if you see something you like (It shows the gear, its abilities, and their name) that means you should check the plaza for their inkling and order it.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
30,000 coins is a more than fair price

rounds of turf war are just 3 minutes, but let's assume that it's 4 minutes (going through menus, the little snippit of the level for a few seconds, waiting for players to join, etc) and on average you get 1,000 points. if the points to coin ratio is 1:1, in just 20 minutes you'll have 5,000 coins, and in 1 hour, you'll have 15,000, and in 2 hours, you'll have 30,000. that's enough time for a single sea snail before the map rotations have even changed. not to mention, the most expensive loadout i've seen on my compendium of it is just 19,800 coins, with most being in the 10,000 range, so by shopping standards, 30,000 coins isn't even that much.

this will all change if the points:coins ratio isn't an even 1:1, but i think it's safe to assume that it will be. it won't be that much of a grind to buy sea snails and reroll your sub abilities, if you really want.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Two hours for just one reroll is fair? Geez, that sounds utterly insane considering how many rerolls it'll likely take to find the perfect setup. And that's for just one out of your three equipment slots.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Two hours for just one reroll is fair? Geez, that sounds utterly insane considering how many rerolls it'll likely take to find the perfect setup. And that's for just one out of your three equipment slots.
you ever played competitive pokemon? this is a walk in the park compared to all the stuff that goes into getting an ideal pokemon that you might not even decide to use.

sub perks barely make a difference to begin with, and even competitive players are unsure about whether or not to use them. if you cant handle the grind, don't take it, but this is pretty fair and lenient cost for getting gear you want to use in the long tern.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I only play on Showdown for that exact reason. Tried to breed a team once, it turned out awful, never doing it again.

And as I said before, having it be only a little bit unfair doesn't make me suddenly okay with it. As long as it's non-zero, I'm not happy.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I only play on Showdown for that exact reason. Tried to breed a team once, it turned out awful, never doing it again.

And as I said before, having it be only a little bit unfair doesn't make me suddenly okay with it. As long as it's non-zero, I'm not happy.
i do agree that it's only the competitive mindset that you would want the most advantage, even slight, and even i'm a little peeved about having to re-roll stats this way, but you have to remember that even though this is a grind this isn't the worst case scenario, not by a long shot. you don't even have to re-roll your stats, entirely random which new sub-abilities you'll get, and it re-rolls all 3 of them. you're probably better off buying completely new gear for the perks you want. this is most likely just for people who have attachment to their gear, and don't want to lose it, either in sentimental value or cosmetic value.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think the abilities are simply supposed to be incentives to check the shops, compete online, compete in splatfests, check the plaza and order clothes off inklings, buy more clothing than the first few items you like, and just play more in general. I can see myself buying more gear than I typically would just to level it up and unlock the secondary abilities instead of sticking with the first gear I liked and constantly just re-rolling till I got exactly what I wanted. I also probably would have seldomly used the option to order things off inklings, let alone check the inklings gear and their stats had it not been for this functionality. I get people are miffed by the game design choices but this along with the constant stream of stage DLC/other gear and mode DLC seem to be focused on keeping replayability high so the online community will thrive and matches will be easy to get into/the game will remain relevant. It's the Animal Crossing Dev team so I don't think they mind getting the player to come back to play often even if it means penalizing the player for not playing a lot/often.

Think of the shops in Splatoon or Animal Crossing- their items will randomly come up and if an item you wanted happens to be on sale on a day when you don't check in then it is your fault. The ability roulette is similar but much more extreme. Maybe we should wait to see how often splatfests are before considering it as too harsh- you can get several super sea snails if you contribute to your team during them. We also know that each regions splatfest goes on on different dates so maybe it will cycle regions every weekend, so every 3-4 weekends will be your region- they also could start becoming more regular and maybe new game modes released later in Splatoon's life will try and make the game fresh again by awarding the Winning team's MVP (if they pass a certain point threshold or maybe it will be like a tournament mode, etc.) a super sea snail.

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
Missingno, I am confused. I gather you are into Min/Maxing, or at least in the concept of some form of progression, because of your concern over the effect of perks, and your interest in Pokemon, but how do you enjoy that play style and have such a problem with their being a bit of randomness? Don't get me wrong, I am not ecstatic over the idea of not having the exact thing I want either, but it seems to be a massive issue for you. I just want to understand why you find it to be inherently unfair, to see if I can point out something that may help you not be so disappointed in it.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I'm big on having a level playing field, where everyone gets equal access to the same stuff with no RNG or grind or anything to say that only P1 can use X and only P2 can use Y. Give me full access to all the toys and I'll concoct my perfect build, and give my opponents the same so it's fair. But when I start looking at possibilities, plan out the perfect build, and then realize the game won't let me assemble it, that's where I get frustrated. And if I know someone else has it while I don't, that really irritates me.

The level playing field is really the most important part to me, and it goes both ways. I actually got really lucky in Kid Icarus Uprising, found an excellent pair of Eyetrack Orbitars that had +homing and +shot distance and could OHKO. But that actually turned me off the game more knowing that I had an unfair advantage over everyone else who didn't have such a godly broken weapon, felt like I didn't deserve these wins.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
From my understanding, the main perk your gear comes with is predominantly higher in stats than the sub perks. I mean I have no math to go on, no figures to give me specific information and I doubt Nintendo will relinquish that information on specifics of sub %’s over main. I’m sure someone will compile a list that’s somewhat in the ball park. Regardless, snails give you a reroll of your sub not main. And RNG will screw you every time (sad but true.) Theoretically, RNG will prevent you from getting what you want and it will be like playing the lottery any time you use a snail/pay 30,000. I witnessed a review copy player 3rd star unlock of a sub piece of gear and RNG gave the guy playing 3 quick recovery. While he seemed to respawn real fast, just lol. RNG is no bueno and gambling will be silly till you get what you want but I’ll be damned if I don’t min/max my ish to the best or worst of my ability! :p

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
I'm big on having a level playing field, where everyone gets equal access to the same stuff with no RNG or grind or anything to say that only P1 can use X and only P2 can use Y. Give me full access to all the toys and I'll concoct my perfect build, and give my opponents the same so it's fair. But when I start looking at possibilities, plan out the perfect build, and then realize the game won't let me assemble it, that's where I get frustrated. And if I know someone else has it while I don't, that really irritates me.

The level playing field is really the most important part to me, and it goes both ways. I actually got really lucky in Kid Icarus Uprising, found an excellent pair of Eyetrack Orbitars that had +homing and +shot distance and could OHKO. But that actually turned me off the game more knowing that I had an unfair advantage over everyone else who didn't have such a godly broken weapon, felt like I didn't deserve these wins.
The difference between Splatoon and Kid Icarus is that Kid Icarus was not balanced at all.

In Splatoon, it doesn't look like your subs will give you an unfair advantage over someone. Everyone has the same amount of access to weapons, as well as main perks. (Probably not the same exact clothing piece, but so long as it has the perk, it is fine.) Sub perks is a little but of a toss up, but you should be fine so long as your subs aren't stacked in a sub-par perk.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Nothing's ever gonna be that broken, yeah, but it's still gonna be non-zero and that's still gonna bother me.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Nothing's ever gonna be that broken, yeah, but it's still gonna be non-zero and that's still gonna bother me.
I am not sure if you could ever get a true non-zero at all. I know that's not what you mean (You meant as non-zero as possible), but gaming in nature will never be non zero with glitches, cheating, exploits, etc. right down to color blindness and physical illness that effects how you can handle the controls.

At this point there isn't much we can do for this iteration of Splatoon because it is such a large feature of the gear in this game. I guess you'll just have to wait it out and see if they change it in (possible) future installments or have lucky time periods where certain abilities are easier to get, etc.

Box

Pro Squid
30,000 coins is a more than fair price

rounds of turf war are just 3 minutes, but let's assume that it's 4 minutes (going through menus, the little snippit of the level for a few seconds, waiting for players to join, etc) and on average you get 1,000 points. if the points to coin ratio is 1:1, in just 20 minutes you'll have 5,000 coins, and in 1 hour, you'll have 15,000, and in 2 hours, you'll have 30,000. that's enough time for a single sea snail before the map rotations have even changed. not to mention, the most expensive loadout i've seen on my compendium of it is just 19,800 coins, with most being in the 10,000 range, so by shopping standards, 30,000 coins isn't even that much.

this will all change if the points:coins ratio isn't an even 1:1, but i think it's safe to assume that it will be. it won't be that much of a grind to buy sea snails and reroll your sub abilities, if you really want.
Two hours per snail is actual insanity considering you can easily burn through 10 of them and not end up with the ability that you want. That's 20 hours of grinding with absolutely nothing to show for it.

I'm not sure what the fastest way to acquire an ideal gear loadout will be, but this particular method is absolutely unfeasible.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Im not sure I like that abilities will be completely random. I know pokemon does this but that's also why a bunch of people either hack or go through battle sims for competitive play. It rewards more getting lucky than any dedication or skill. Someone could get the best set up ever on their first roll or you may need to re roll 20+ times, or possibly not have it show up at all.
Though it will probably be less prohibitive in this game since you could probably make a sub optimal build work if you are decent enough

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I am not sure if you could ever get a true non-zero at all. I know that's not what you mean (You meant as non-zero as possible), but gaming in nature will never be non zero with glitches, cheating, exploits, etc. right down to color blindness and physical illness that effects how you can handle the controls.
No, that isn't what I mean at all. Those are all things that are entirely on the players, not on RNG or grinding.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I think y'all need to step back and look at the bigger picture. August is when all the competitive stuff will truly be able to start and thrive, you don't have to grind your life away in 20 hours to get the load out you want. Yes not everyone will get what they want on the first try, and heck it could even take them till after august to find what they want, but Nintendo's going to be going after making Splatoon have longevity. They don't want players to instantly have everything handed to them then they get bored of the game.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
I play a ton of Borderlands 2, farming for legendary weapons and epic loadouts for all the classes, which is really a better comparison than Pokemon (Which I also play competitively). I've spent 25 hours farming a quest reward for a slag evisceration rubii for my melee Zer0. So this super sea snail thing? Yeah, sorry, this doesn't seem like a big deal for minor perks, especially with the ordering system. Ordering gear is basically a non-exploit, no-guilt version of cloning weapons- something I know how to do but don't in BL2. And the perks don't seem to make a huge difference- certainly not the kind of difference a slag weapon vs any other elemental, or a bladed vs non bladed weapon (+50% melee damage), will make against a raid boss or something.

Want a specific loadout? Guarantee there will be places- probably on this forum- to go request or offer gear. You friend the guy with the gear you want, you join a match with him, you leave and order his gear. Easy. Just like the friend safari rush back in the early days of X and Y.

Xeiros

Senior Squid
I play a ton of Borderlands 2, farming for legendary weapons and epic loadouts for all the classes, which is really a better comparison than Pokemon (Which I also play competitively). I've spent 25 hours farming a quest reward for a slag evisceration rubii for my melee Zer0. So this super sea snail thing? Yeah, sorry, this doesn't seem like a big deal for minor perks, especially with the ordering system. Ordering gear is basically a non-exploit, no-guilt version of cloning weapons- something I know how to do but don't in BL2. And the perks don't seem to make a huge difference- certainly not the kind of difference a slag weapon vs any other elemental, or a bladed vs non bladed weapon (+50% melee damage), will make against a raid boss or something.

Want a specific loadout? Guarantee there will be places- probably on this forum- to go request or offer gear. You friend the guy with the gear you want, you join a match with him, you leave and order his gear. Easy. Just like the friend safari rush back in the early days of X and Y.
Oh FFS. That has got to be one of the most narrow minded posts in this topic. Do you have any idea how broken that would be? Do you grasp how worthless SSS and gold in general after a certain point would be if you could simply duplicate another players gear without having to actually earn it? You've put zero thought into anything you just said and it shows. Ordering gear does not duplicate it's unlocked sub perks. Bangs head against wall*

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom