Super Sea Snails: how will we get them?

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
Alright Missing, I get it more now. I don't like being on either end of that myself, but I also actually like having to work at getting the things too. It makes me look at more options and I like getting it together and getting new things to try. Because of that, I am OK with some random elements as long as they don't invalidate things. I don't feel like it will be so bad here. In all honesty, I think sub perks are going to be mostly just gravy.

In a related idea, I have been thinking about some things we know about ordering...I think it will be possible to arrange ordering people's gear, even before August. Here's the idea: We know, or at least are almost certain, that ordering will yield a carbon copy of a piece of gear. Orders have to come from what Inklings in our plazas are wearing. Now, I think someone else referenced this, but they mention in the direct that the Inklings in the plaza come from your online games as well as Miiverse. So, if we play a game with a friend, I think that friend will show up in the Plaza. Nintendo has confirmed that even on launch we will be able to join games our friends are in. So, in theory, you can "swap" the ability to order stuff with friends if they have things you like by joining their game, having them appear in your plaza because you played together, and ordering the things they wear. The best part is that no-one loses anything! You just have to have the dosh to buy the thing you order. So not only can any combination spread passively, I bet it can even be spread actively.

Edit, May 28th: New info says this is wrong. I am editing these to avoid confusion.

Apparently I got ninja'd about the last bit, but typing that out took a while so I am leaving it here.

Oh FFS. Ordering gear does not duplicate it's unlocked sub perks. Bangs head against wall*
Yes it does. See my previous post where I demonstrate, including link and screenshot.

Last edited:

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
Oh FFS. That has got to be one of the most narrow minded posts in this topic. Do you have any idea how broken that would be? Do you grasp how worthless SSS and gold in general after a certain point would be if you could simply duplicate another players gear without having to actually earn it? You've put zero thought into anything you just said and it shows. Ordering gear does not duplicate it's unlocked sub perks. Bangs head against wall*
Uhhh.... pretty sure it was already proven in this very thread that ordering gear DOES duplicate it exactly, including sub perks. Also, what's broken about everyone being able to access the most viable options like this? Leaving it up to RNG is broken. Making it so that playing against someone with a fantastic setup lets you try that setup as well is AWESOME.

Also, why on earth do we care about the "value" of gold and SSS in this game? I want to be able to get gear that lets me keep up with the meta. Less grinding, more playing. If that means making SSS and gold "worthless"... who the hell really cares? Oh no, the Inkopolis economy is crashing because the ink saver football helmet bubble burst....!?!?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Two hours per snail is actual insanity considering you can easily burn through 10 of them and not end up with the ability that you want. That's 20 hours of grinding with absolutely nothing to show for it.

I'm not sure what the fastest way to acquire an ideal gear loadout will be, but this particular method is absolutely unfeasible.
while i do wish it wasn't RNG centric at all and you could do something like, oh say, select a sub ability and pay for it with a set amount of sea snails, this is a really inoffensive amount of grinding. there's only ~20 abilities in the game to begin with, so it's not that unlikely you'll get a combination you want within a few hours or at worst, days. a bigger question is if it's even worth re-rolling sub abilities, not if the grind is too long, since they make so little a difference and when you re-roll, all three of them (or less, if you have less) get randomized. you're probably better off just buying completely new gear from the shops when they change each day, since that's cheaper. i really think the ability re-roll is just for players who're attached to their gear.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I think @teamdelibird has it right in the comparison to pokemon friend safaris. I'm sure there'll be threads, reddits, everything, all for friending someone and joining their match and then leaving to order their gear. I don't think we know how pricing will work, as long as it isn't ridiculously expensive it seems like the obvious choice for people after popular sets.

Xeiros

Senior Squid
I see zero proof in this or any other thread, because you fail to understand how it works. That screenshot proves nothing. It is of an open order. In order to actually prove that you can order modified gear which is to say gear someone has added slots to/unlocked sub perks on and have it be exactly as you saw it in their inkling profile, you'd need to show both the order process and then get ready for this because it's key, the actual reception of the ordered gear the next real life day. The gear you'll receive will be in its most basic form. You must earn and unlock any additional sub slots and abilities yourself.

That's the entire point of the SSS and ability systems. When you order gear there are only two things you guaranteed when you receive the order itself and pay for it. That being it's cosmetic appearance and the main perk. That is literally it. Duplicating gear completely undermines the system currently in place on pretty much every level. No need to grind gold or win lots of SSS in the upcoming Splatfest. All of this should go without saying. It's baffling to me some of you fail to grasp these simple concepts.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
I see zero proof in this or any other thread, because you fail to understand how it works. That screenshot proves nothing. It is of an open order. In order to actually prove that you can order modified gear which is to say gear someone has added slots to/unlocked sub perks on and have it be exactly as you saw it in their inkling profile, you'd need to show both the order process and then get ready for this because it's key, the actual reception of the ordered gear the next real life day. The gear you'll receive will be in its most basic form. You must earn and unlock any additional sub slots and abilities yourself.

That's the entire point of the SSS and ability systems. When you order gear there are only two things you guaranteed when you receive the order itself and pay for it. That being it's cosmetic appearance and the main perk. That is literally it. Duplicating gear completely undermines the system currently in place on pretty much every level. No need to grind gold or win lots of SSS in the upcoming Splatfest. All of this should go without saying. It's baffling to me some of you fail to grasp these simple concepts.
....And where is YOUR proof? You're right, we haven't necessarily conclusively proven that the gear you get is the same as you order.... but there's certainly evidence of it. Meanwhile you're speculating far more than we are- or at least as far as we can tell since you've given 0 proof. If you've actually got evidence that this is how it works, now would be a good time to show it.

Also you could try being a little bit kinder about this. Calm down a little.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Oh FFS. That has got to be one of the most narrow minded posts in this topic. Do you have any idea how broken that would be? Do you grasp how worthless SSS and gold in general after a certain point would be if you could simply duplicate another players gear without having to actually earn it? You've put zero thought into anything you just said and it shows. Ordering gear does not duplicate it's unlocked sub perks. Bangs head against wall*
How on earth would that be broken? That would actually be a fairer and more level playing field, because it lets people get equal access to the same gear. That is the exact opposite of broken.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster

xeiros you've been a huge prick since the beta days, i'm a tad worried about you

anyway, you can't say that "i see zero proof in this thread" without presenting any proof yourself. it's just a hostile, circular argument that doesn't need to happen.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
Here's my take on the whole "ordering gear undermines the system" thing. I actually think that, if it works how it seems to from what we've seen, it's totally perfect. If you want the best gear for the meta? Easy to get, just find someone else who has it. However if you want to really customize your entire look, then you'll have to grind for the right stats on whatever gear it is you want. That actually seems like a pretty fair trade off to me. You'll have to grind for the cosmetics but you can easily keep up with the meta. And then you can even keep up while you're grinding- so you won't have to use inferior gear while you work towards your own ideal cosmetic setup. I'll probably end up doing that- nabbing a loadout with perks I like from someone, and then using it while I slowly grind for perks for the outfit I want. (And then people can nab that loadout from me, if they like how stylin' I am of course!)

The only issue I see is how obnoxious experimentation is with this system- but eventually, with a large enough community, we should be able to compile a huge database of combinations and create a sort of "library" of outfits with different perks, to be tried out. If this game has the legs that I think it does this will happen soon enough!

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
So, I left a comment on Gamexplain asking about ordering gear and if it keeps perks. Hopefully Andre sees it and knows the answer!

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Okay, so ordering gear takes a full 24 hours before you can pick it up, and whatever you order may not have the same exact perks that the gear you saw had.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Okay, so ordering gear takes a full 24 hours before you can pick it up, and whatever you order may not have the same exact perks that the gear you saw had.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
I have the game. Spike takes a day to get your gear in and he even says "I can't guarentee it'll have the same abilities." which is code for "they're random".

In addition, while one 24 hour countdown is happening, another can't. So if you order two pieces of gear, the second will arrive a day after the first.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
I have the game. Spike takes a day to get your gear in and he even says "I can't guarentee it'll have the same abilities." which is code for "they're random".

In addition, while one 24 hour countdown is happening, another can't. So if you order two pieces of gear, the second will arrive a day after the first.
GG

better get ready for that 30k gold RNG machine

Xeiros

Senior Squid
This is what a lack of information and a desperation for a system to be the way you want looks like. That combined with a lack of understanding of how the full ordering system worked caused many of you to practically convince yourselves you could duplicate gear and came up with excuses for it. It's a good thing none of you were in charge of developing this game.

The line you can't handle the truth fits so well here. I tell you the cold hard facts and you deny it because the truth, the reality hurts. It feels better to pretend you can have whatever you want without any actual effort. To even consider dealing with RNG is such a terrible thought you'll deny it until reality hits you in the face. It doesn't matter what you think of Splatoon's gear system. It's here to stay whether you like it or not.

The best part? I've known full well ordering gear doesn't copy its abilities for weeks. I've known there is no way around the RNG of the ability upgrade/re-rolling system. This is nothing new. Welcome to the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom