• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Switch gyro has considerably more latency than Wii U

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Reasons like this are why I hope Splatoon 1 will stay have a active competitive scene. Using the Gamepad to spray feels beautiful. It's by far the closest a console controller has ever come to a mouse, and sometimes is arguably better than a mouse. I think another factor is the width and weight itself which was made with this type of motion aiming in mind. Sure, controllers such as the Steam Controller and Switch Pro support motion aiming, but having that bulky large rectangular shape simply made the aiming feel more natural and accurate. The Gamepad is a beefy and unruly controller, but for a shooter it works incredibly well. I feel it's very similar to the "Duke" Controller of the original XBOX. People hated it for it for it's size and weight, but that was a factor in why players still use for competitive original Halo today.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Thought: Unless the pro controller is proven to be consistently better in this regard, I think it's kind of a moot point. Everyone has to use the same controllers, so the playing field will be level regardless of any latency or lag.
I myself used the Pro Controller. I have been playing both Splatoon and the Splatoon 2 testfire on a 1ms response monitor. I noticed latency basically immediately. I played on a regular tv once, and it was actually unbearable switching from what i was used to.

Squirty

Full Squid
NNID
Squirty
I don't mean to say that there isn't a change in latency in Splatoon 2, but another possible source for some of the different feel might be a difference in behaviour for flick motions (rapid movement out and then back). If the game interprets this differently, it could give a very different feel, that might feel like "high latency" for chargers who use flick-shots. I'll do a more thorough test of this in my day 1 Splatoon 2 test.

Also, on the note of BotW: motion controls in that game seem much worse than Splatoon 2 testfire in some ways, from my testing. I feel like it's not a great comparison, but still very interesting to hear that it shows a high latency for motion controls.

Christoph

Inkling
Hi, I just registered here to say that I thought the same during the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire. The latency seemed very high with the Pro Controller, so I went back to Splatton on Wii U right after, and sure enough it felt way more direct.

By now I've seen several people comment on this in different places, and from those comments it seemed like this issue may or may not be more obvious to players with high sensitivity settings. Myself, I have sensitivity set to 5 on the Wii U, and experimented with various high sensitivities on the Switch, for whatever that may be worth. I usually play Splash-o-matic.

Also, is it just me, or is the latency a bit better with the Joy-Con? I've recently bought Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, and considering that that's a game that benefits a lot from low latency, using the Pro Controller made the input feel really indirect to me. The Joy-Con are better (and I'm not sure how those compare to the Wii U Gamepad). In BotW, I've also noticed that I could do flick shots with bows on closeby enemies when I use the Joy-Con in their grip, but I would usually miss trying the same with the Pro Controller.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Also, is it just me, or is the latency a bit better with the Joy-Con? I've recently bought Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, and considering that that's a game that benefits a lot from low latency, using the Pro Controller made the input feel really indirect to me. The Joy-Con are better (and I'm not sure how those compare to the Wii U Gamepad). In BotW, I've also noticed that I could do flick shots with bows on closeby enemies when I use the Joy-Con in their grip, but I would usually miss trying the same with the Pro Controller.
I wonder if a weighted Joy-Con grip could solve this. If the Joy-Cons truly are superior to the pro controller in terms of latency and accuracy, then a large middle piece between the two could work things out. I bet the Charge-able grip is heavier too.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I wonder if a weighted Joy-Con grip could solve this. If the Joy-Cons truly are superior to the pro controller in terms of latency and accuracy, then a large middle piece between the two could work things out. I bet the Charge-able grip is heavier too.
It is heavier, but it isn't much of a difference. Charging grip is still pretty light.

Christoph

Inkling
Like I said, I'm not certain about the difference between the controllers. It might just be that it just is like that for me, for whatever other reasons.

If anybody else wants to give their own perspective, attempting headshots on nearby (Cursed) Moblins with a bow in BotW is probably the thing that has worked the worst for me when using the Pro Controller, compared to the Joy-Con grip. I'd love hearing how well or not it works for other people in direct comparison between the two controllers.

Edit: On a sidenote, my avatar = my favorite position on the couch when playing Splatoon.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
This actually has me worrying. I didn't have a Switch during the Testfire, but now I do and after playing a few games (not BotW, I've been playing that on Wii U) the controls just felt a bit odd, they weren't as precise and as responsive as they used to with the Wii U or with any Nintendo console in general, actually. In addition to a slight latency of the motions controls there also was an unresponsiveness of the control sticks, mostly went away after recalibrating them. But still, the controllers just didn't feel as sophisticated and high-quality as they were before. Contrary to its modern and sleek looks, I think the Switch consists of more cheaply produced hardware - maybe because they had to cram everything inside that tablet and at the same time ensure that the device is running fast enough.
Reading this thread just confirms that sentiment... I really hope Splatoon 2 won't be ruined by this.

Reasons like this are why I hope Splatoon 1 will stay have a active competitive scene. Using the Gamepad to spray feels beautiful. It's by far the closest a console controller has ever come to a mouse, and sometimes is arguably better than a mouse. I think another factor is the width and weight itself which was made with this type of motion aiming in mind. Sure, controllers such as the Steam Controller and Switch Pro support motion aiming, but having that bulky large rectangular shape simply made the aiming feel more natural and accurate.
I couldn't agree more! I've always had the feeling that the weight of the Gamepad actually makes for better controls, because there is a bigger 'resistance' when you move the Gamepad, which very slightly holds you back and ensures you don't make too big of a movement (of course I'm talking about tendencies here, not absolute values).

On a sidenote, my avatar = my favorite position on the couch when playing Splatoon.
Haha, that's a really cool avatar. :)

knubie

Inkster Jr.
NNID
msteedman
I definitely noticed this during the Splatoon 2 testfire, specifically with the joycons detached ( I didn't have my grip with me ). However I didn't notice much of a difference when I tested the button input latency with the high speed camera. But I could definitely "feel" a difference when playing the testfire.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Motion controls seem fine to me, at least as someone who loathed using them with the gamepad. Joycons seperate play fine.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I do real life Olympic archery, so I will have to see how BoTW handles with the lag with firing arrows. (I use a bow that weighs up to 20 pounds, with a force backed by 30 pounds of torque when firing.)

So I will have to see what this lag personally is, and if it messes with my shot execution. I do not have such game yet, and usually the testfire seems to always suffer a bit of a blowback with the lag issues since it is in demo. I think it could be they could of tweaked for more realism since actual weapons do take some time to aim, depending on the weight ratio of context.

Say if it is aluminum, it is heavier, and carbon is lighter. But then people want heavier for aim, and people want lighter. It's a trend that seems to pass to person to person. But enough of my blabbering. If the game has such happening, then adjusting to it might be annoying, or could be a good thing.

((It is like when they took snaking out of Mario Kart, hurgh, hurrrrghhh....Nintendo...))

dr3am

Inkling
I don't think I notice much lag (maybe just a little) however I do experience gyro drift sometimes (with both the Joycons and Pro Controller) and often have to recalibrate the gyro to fix it. Not too often though, pretty much only once every play session, if even.

Kise Ryota

Inkster Jr.
Now that Steam officially supports the Swtich's Pro Controller, I'm playing CS:GO using its gyro and it's bizarre how fast is the response. I mean, I can't perceive the latency (using via cable or BT, doesn't matter). It's fast, it's precise, has less drift... I mean, WTF splatoon devs did?

I know now that Splatoon is using the gyro AND the acc... I don't know why using acc for this game. This could be the reason of the problem.

This is me testing the controller:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom