• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Tenta Brella Discussion+ability recommendations: Get your camp on!

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Tenta Brella Discussion

I hope I don't need to explain that further...
OH WAIT,
I suppose I should elaborate!

We talk about the tenta brella, we share about the tenta brella, we argue the tenta brella, we laugh about the tenta brella, we cry about the tenta brella, we rage at the tenta brella, we love the tenta brella, we say we don't love the tenta brella like that, we purposfully bump into tenta brella when going to school, we volunteer to go into space coincidentally on the same ship as the tenta brella, we protecc tenta brella from aliens, we then fall into a wormhole with tenta brella, we become tenta brella,

. . .

then we league and/or tournament, using the tenta brella and then we go back to talk about tenta brella.
Anyways, got my sillyness out, I just want to make a thread for... well tenta brella discussion
as well as a collection of tenta brella knowledge, including gear ability recommendations, but also techniques and maybe a bit of playstyle advice (for the intrepid)

TENTA BRELLA SPECS
--Nintendo treehouse's tumblr post regarding the tenta brella:
https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.com/post/165521794157/big-bad-brella

--You and your allies can shoot through a friendly brella shield, proof courtesy of this fellow from Japan (and Heddy from Inkipedia, for sharing this with me)

Gear ability usefullness + combos
(feel free to @ ping me if you feel I've missed something, just please provide a brief explanation. I'm not adding stuff here based solely off of whims and whimsy)

:ability_inksavermain:

Very useful on such an ink hungry weapon. You can get away with not using any, but keep in mind that launching your shield, which is typically what you want to do whenever you deploy it, will take up half of a full ink tank. This means you'd better be confident in your ink management.
A good benchmark for using main saver is at least 6 subs (or 1 main 3 subs) you will get 13 shots or 6 shots after launching(7 total, if you include the initial shot before deploying) from a full tank.

Still good, but the ink consumption of launching is different now that tenta brella launches its shield faster, check back later for updated thresholds PLACE HOLDER: I currently still use 1 main or 1 main + 3 subs
(I probably won't bother until the feb/march patch drops, in case of tenta brella buffs <3

(SPECIAL POWER UP) <emote please =3
A great choice for the Bubble Blower special weapon.
It makes your bubbles bigger, which means larger shields for your splat zone / rainmaker carrier AND larger explosions when you pop them. I recommend 1 to 2 mains(or any equivalent variation) But if you don't mind devoting all of your ability slots to it, getting max 3 mains and 9 subs of special power up nets you
BIG bubbles
**You can get away without any special power up, but the added bubble size is good, especially on the more open maps

(Object Shredder)
It's meh. Tenta brella is already one of the best (if not THE best) main weapons at shredding objects on it's own.
HOWEVER I see a case for OS on tenta for RainMaker, when you want to outpace other OS squids. Outside of rainmaker? Don't bother
(yes, I have tried it in TC+SZ).

:ability_runspeed:VERY nice! (as of patch 1.4)
You can now have passable run speed while strafe shooting!
Maybe not a must have, but it is definitely a must try with the tent gun.
UPDATE:2/26 I've been getting along fine without run speed, but there have been a few instances, where I was trying to keep up with my launched shield while shooting, that I wished I had a bit of run speed. Only problem is I have to make room in my build :x (LETS TEST THIS OUT FELLOW CAMP SQUIDS)

Sub Power up
A great ability for the beakon enthusiast out there... but I haven't been able to fit it in to my builds. Between the :ability_inksavermain:, SPU and :ability_runspeed:, I just don't have room for any. But if your build has some room, consider stepping up your beakon game!
UPDATE: 2/26 (again) SubPU has supplanted my :ability_runspeed: as of late
so the two abilities are a bit at odds in my preferred build. I will say subPU is very potent if you are quick on the mini map for beakon retreats (as opposed to spawn retreats)

:ability_swimspeed:
The splattershot of gear abilities
I won;t launch into a full paragrah about the wonders of swimming faster, here is a chart instead
(source: https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Swim_Speed_Up )
Weapon type/ --------------------amount of :ability_swimspeed: needed to. . . -------------------
------------------ /promote weight class/ negate Ninja Squid
/ To do both
Lightweight ---/---------------N/A----------/ Main: 2, Sub: 0 -------------/-----N/A------
Middleweight-/--------Main: 0, Sub: 2--------/------- Main: 1, Sub: 2-------/ Main: 2, Sub: 2
Heavyweight-/--------Main: 0, Sub: 3------/------- Main: 1, Sub: 0------/ Main: 2, Sub: 1 (Tenta brella is Heavyweight)

:ability_ninjasquid:

further research needed

If you're down to testing it in ranked/league though, check out the chart above^^^

:ability_stealthjump:
further research needed
but as a heavy weight, mid range weapon that likes to support pushes via shield launching, I think it definitely has a place in tenta brella builds

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why make this thread?
Well, we used to have a thread for every single weapon kit in splatoon 1 (I guess we still do, but pshhhh who still plays THAT amirite??? xD) so I wanted to try and ressurect that... tradition?
Difference being, I aim to have this thread encompass ALL tenta brella kits/varients (once they release).

. . . and maybe segway this into a tenta brella guide later on >.> NO PROMISES

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I'm eager to try it but I don't really have high hopes for it being very effective. Since it has Squid Beacons, a sub that has no reason to be used in the middle of combat, ink efficiency abilities shouldn't be necessary.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hopefully the main is powerful enough to stand on it's own (considering the cqc 1hko).
If not, then the support kit might be a hindrance, but my hopes are high.

Methinks it'll be best used somewhat like a dodge tank, for any mmorpg familiars.
Get in their face(when safe enough), deal some damage(maybe splat 1 squid, 2 if you're lucky), then just draw as much attention+enemy fire as you can while staying alive.

I've only barely dabbled into bubble blower, as I refuse to use heavy deco until tenta releases, so I've yet to form a more full opinion of them past the initial "ZOMG NEW SPESHUL! REMEMBER DAT SPONGEBOB MOVIE SCENE?! LOLOLOLOL"

And, while I agree that :ability_inksaversub: and :ability_inkrecovery: will probably not be so useful,
I've got a strong feeling in the pit of me ink sac that :ability_inksavermain: will be very good for the tenta brella user who likes to shield:
the regular splat brella already eats through ink while shielding, I'd be shocked if they didn't notably bump up tenta's shield ink consumption from that odf the splat brella.

And thanks for reminding me, MissingNumbers xP
went ahead and slapped it on the OP

the

Inkling Commander
I feel like the tenta brella might fall into that weird category with the dynamo, flingza, and most snipers of "a good support weapon, but requires its own support to work correctly"

It doesn't seem like it'll be great at inking turf, what with the slow umbrella and not-so-great fire rate, and it needs at least one other teammate to get use out of its slower-deploying shield. As a bonus, hopefully tagging along with teammates to shield them will mean the two of you putting enough ink on the ground to move comfortably.

I think it's cool that they're pushing that support role for the weapon, so I'm glad they went all-in and gave it the squid beakons. What better way to ensure you have someone to help out than to personally help them get to the battle quickly? :p (I definitely look forward to a more combat-oriented or passive-support loadout in the future, though)

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I'm curious what the effective 1-hit KO range will be and the amount of damage from a shield bump. In guessing at least -50hp with a splat dualies range?

And since teammates can't shoot through the splat brella, I doubt that will change with the tenta brella. Meaning team-up moments can be even more of a hindrance, due to its larger shield size, when you're both uncoordinated. Especially in solo matches!

I try to control the matter by shuffling to the left (and a lil forward for the shield bump), giving my teammate right side advantage. Likewise, if a brella is covering for me, I tend to "Booyah!" and ease to the right. And if I have a slosher or rainmaker, I just attack over my teammate's head.

Curious how this will work out with the tenta as either side is about two inklings or so in width.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
WAIT IT HAS SQUID BEAKONS INSTEAD OF POINT SENSORS!?!?!?!?! MIGHT BE MY NEW FAVORITE BRELLA!!!

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
Usually with the Splat Brella I stack the ISM like mad, but I'll probably just be using one main for this one, as I doubt it's going to be firing in combat for elongated periods of time (that one-shot). But if I'm seeing myself in a whole lot of combat situations (in which case why am I still alive), I'd probably apply more. It definitely eats upa lot of ink for its shield. A main of Ink Recovery as well, since I'll be swimming around popping beakons, and with an Ink Rec I'll be arriving in battle with a full tank more often.

Object Shredder will be nice for this bad boy too, good synergy with its bubble blower (am I getting this right?), plus better at hammering the RM shield with its low firerate, and popping armour from afar.

Stacking the Special Charge Up was super vital for the Brella since it always wanted to be in Inkstorm, but I wonder if it's gonna be any more important for the Tenta? I don't have much experience with bubbles, so I'm not sure how well it might work with this weapon's playstyle. However, I think it might be fun to create a shield diversion as your teammates fire at the bubbles -- once they burst and lay down tons of turf, you could launch the brella to make for a really sexy push.

Still thinking of other cool things to run on this beyond the usual. Swim Speed to get to allies faster? Ink Res for backwards retreats? Bomb Defence to help you survive the 20 seconds it takes to open the brella? Lots of testing to do, which I'm pretty excited for. Plus, what might special power up do for the bubbles? Still don't know.

And since teammates can't shoot through the splat brella,
What? I always thought you could. Have you/your teammates just been shooting at the brella holder instead? If it actually blocks my own team's shots, what even is the point of this weapon </3

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Yep both you and your teammates can shoot through ally Brella shields both while it's being held up or launched. The only issue with this is gonna be visibility as you cannot see directly through the shield, all the more reason why it really shoulda kept Point Sensors.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Hi! What would be good abilities for it? Sub Power Up? Special Charge Up?

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah I could have sworn, in a few matches the other night, that I had teammates who were firing at opponents through my brella shield(and my inkling's body blocked a couple of the blobs).

Hi! What would be good abilities for it? Sub Power Up? Special Charge Up?
Hard to say without having tested tenta brella any(I'm getting right on testing and then adding recommendations to the first post asap, I'm dying inside waiting @-@)
But I suppose we can talk more on what goes well with the sub and special.

I think sub power up has a place on beakons, at least in coordinated teams where beakons contribute greatly to team posistioning.
What would stop sub power up from being a great choice on tenta brella would be other, more useful abilities choking it out.
And I'd say sub saver is not very useful for a sub that you use almost exclusively when you're safe.

Bubble Blower? Honestly, I've got only 37k turf inked with the forge(and 0 turf on the heavy deco, lousy tenta teasing nintendo), and I've not experimented with augmenting the bubble blower via gear abilities at all. So I don't have a substantial opinion there... =[

Last edited:

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
Regarding Squid Beakons: I think Ink Recovery would be heaps better than Sub Saver. You're placing beakons while you're safe outside the fight, so Ink Rec will kick in as you're swimming back into the fight. It's more useful in that it also helps you recover ink after using the main weapon, too.

Have we still got no news on what Special Power Up does for Bubble Blower? I still haven't cracked it myself. But my guess is a bigger blast radius.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Regarding Squid Beakons: I think Ink Recovery would be heaps better than Sub Saver. You're placing beakons while you're safe outside the fight, so Ink Rec will kick in as you're swimming back into the fight. It's more useful in that it also helps you recover ink after using the main weapon, too.

Have we still got no news on what Special Power Up does for Bubble Blower? I still haven't cracked it myself. But my guess is a bigger blast radius.
https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Special_Power_Up

On Inkipedia, it says that the bubbles get bigger with a larger explosion range.

finnaggann

Inkling
I love the bubble blower when it is on my team, but I have almost never used it myself, since I hate both splattershot pros and splatlings. I basically have no idea how to use the bubble blower well myself but this set really pushes hard on the defense part of the brella, and I know that bubble blower is good at that. I welcome any sub other than sprinkler because for me that has been the main weakness on the splat brella, that the sub is high ink cost and low reward. I like running special power ups, bomb defense ups, and ninja squid on the splat brella, but the tenta brella is a lot slower as a weapon, and seems less apt for that strategy, especially with a special that does not do much damage most of the time. I think that ink recovery will probably be important, as well as ink saver abilities, maybe keep the bomb defense up. I am super excited because the splat brella took the spot as my favourite weapon upon release, and I like the slower weapons a lot, except chargers because I suck at precise aiming.

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
I love the bubble blower when it is on my team, but I have almost never used it myself, since I hate both splattershot pros and splatlings. I basically have no idea how to use the bubble blower well myself but this set really pushes hard on the defense part of the brella, and I know that bubble blower is good at that.
Yep, the main way to utilise bubbles is by using them as a large defensive wall. It's like three giant, floating splash walls. It also puts pressure on them to approach, because at any given time you and your team could blast at the bubbles and catch your foes with a surprise explosion. What's more is you have your brella, so that's FOUR massive walls the enemy team has to deal with.

It's also just generally good cover for pushes. You can fling them at areas where enemies are likely to jump at the objective, then fill them up like you would a rainmaker shield before overtime. You can watch if they get shot at, or, if they get approached, pop them with one last shot. If you're say, pushing forward with a team, you could distract the enemies with the bubbles and launch the brella forward! It's got many applications we're still yet to explore, but from what I've seen thus far it's preeeetty neat. I just don't know how it will synergise with a brella though. Since you're likely to be blocking with the bubbles out, it's up to your team to pop/keep them up wisely. Come to think of it, if you open a brella into a bubble, doesn't it fill up rapidly? Interesting thought.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
What? I always thought you could. Have you/your teammates just been shooting at the brella holder instead? If it actually blocks my own team's shots, what even is the point of this weapon </3
Haven't done a proper test among my friend list, but if teammates can shoot through the brella then my randoms may have just questionable aim. Nonetheless, I'm gonna keep scootin to the left.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Wow @SquidKid85 you weren't lying, I didn't get notifications for a thread I started xP
Come to think of it, if you open a brella into a bubble, doesn't it fill up rapidly? Interesting thought.
Actually, I think bubbles eat launched brella shields as I've launched one towards the RM shield and it poofed(i'm prretty sure RM shield and bubbles are very similar in terms of weapon resistance/interaction, such as eating splash walls 'n' sprinklers).

Testing needed to see if bubbles eat non-launched brella shield. (but I get the feeling bubbles will still eat it)

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I’m Just worried about the shield on the Tenta Brella. Just imagine how much ink it’ll take, not to mention the unbelievably long time to open it.

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
Yeah if the tenth brella has that much durability then it's drawback would probably be bad subs and specials. It would become more broken than the tri-slosher if there are Burst bombs and Splashdowns/Tenta Missles/Ink amor but we'll just have to wait and see :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom