• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Tenta Brella Discussion+ability recommendations: Get your camp on!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
How have I not seen this? :confused:

When the tentabrella comes out I will likely be running some run speed up with sub up and ink saver main.
Brella in general have a hard time strafging due to the freeze frame from the fire so having some mobility to get into position to fire would be great.
Ink saver main to cut the bite off the ink consunption and sub power up cause I like to jump fast and if it can also help the occasional competent allies then it gains more value in the end.
Also quick question:
Does bomb defense up effect the shields as well cause it would be great if it did.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Yeah if the tenth brella has that much durability then it's drawback would probably be bad subs and specials. It would become more broken than the tri-slosher if there are Burst bombs and Splashdowns/Tenta Missles/Ink amor but we'll just have to wait and see :p
Tenta Brella comes with Squid Beakons and Bubble Blower :)

the

Inkling Commander
I'll probably try running some ink saver main/sub and sub power up for this weapon. My reasoning being that I'll wanna try getting any KO'd teammates back in action ASAP so i can actually make use of the weap's support capabilities (which, as others have said, will probably guzzle a fair amount of ink as well)

Hopefully people will actually USE THE BEAKONS......,,,,

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
I'll probably try running some ink saver main/sub and sub power up for this weapon. My reasoning being that I'll wanna try getting any KO'd teammates back in action ASAP so i can actually make use of the weap's support capabilities (which, as others have said, will probably guzzle a fair amount of ink as well)

Hopefully people will actually USE THE BEAKONS......,,,,
I mean object shredder exists so maybe people will actually use it :p

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
Insights after a couple of SZ games...

This thing's biggest weakness is very, VERY apparent: It's so poor at turfing that I often find myself stuck in ink while shielding. Ink Res is a pretty good idea to run on it. Makes for better retreats and general runs through ink since you often don't really have the time to take 5 seconds to fire a shot.

It's MAD with guzzling ink. For every set I've been trying out, I've run two Ink Saver Main (mains). And often that's not even enough. I was only fully confident when I had three ISM and one ISS (in the end, turns out I DO like sub saver on this thing. I haven't tried rec on it to see if it's better, though.

Sub Power Up apparently makes beakons super cool, shaving off a bit of time when you or an ally jumps to them! Definitely a good idea if you can fit it in your set.

My ideal set for this weapon currently would be: 3x ISM, 1x ISS, 1x Ink Res, and 1x Sub Power Up. Things will probably change as I use it more, but you know how hard it is to grind up any half-decent gear in this game...

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Wow, I do not like this. It's way too slow for my liking. It's hard enough to hit anyone, but since you can only shoot once in a blue moon, you gotta make every shot count. Which is damn hard. I also do not think the slowness of the weapon gels very well with the shield.

This is definitely a weapon with a sick learning curve, but since the sub and special are soooo not my jam, on this weapon or any other, I'm gonna wait for the second loadout to come out to try and get better at it (if I even have the patience to learn it). Which is probably a long time from now, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna put a lot of time into a weapon with beakons and the bubble blower.

Too bad, because I love the Splat Brella. Guess it's back to other games before the toiletpaper fest begins.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Thought maybe there was a chance that I just suck with it, but I noticed most everyone else using it did just as bad or even worse. Perhaps still a bit too early to judge, but this is easily my least favorite weapon to use, and I think it's in the same grouping as Goo Tuber and Flingza Roller.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Honestly I'm pretty disappointed with this weapon because well. It has the exact same problems as the Splat Brella but with more glaring flaws. It's slow as molasses, its damage is very inconsistent, it's not good at inking turf and literally anyone who plays aggressive enough will kill you easily. Not to mention that its kit isn't very good. Beakons don't protect you at all and the bubbles are very hard to pop with this weapon's laughable fire rate. Hopefully they'll fix the umbrellas in a later patch.

As for abilities here's what I recommend:
Run Speed Up gives a bit more mobility which this weapon really needs.
Ink Saver Main/Ink Recovery Up to help with its ink consumption.
Sub Power Up to decrease the amount of time it takes to super jump to a Beakon for everyone.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It's been difficult playing with tenta brella.

I definitely understand why the Devs had to make tenta slower than the splat brella(so that it doesn't completely outclass it, duh)
But it feels perhaps too slow.

-long delay between finishing the shot and deploying your shield
-equally long delay before you can shoot again OR squid and swim away(particularly important for when you miss a shot or don't 1hko your target)

Reiterating what @MINKUKEL said, this thing has a steep learning curve if it is indeed secretely OP, ala H3 nozzlenose
And, perhaps, the tenta brella requires a significantly different playstyle than splat brella (my currently most used weapon in splat2)

My splat brella playstyle plays a lot with stationary blocking of shots, approaching from a different angle than my allies in order to draw fire from the opponents. This works because you can threaten the opponent with a single shot (sometimes 2) then quickly pop your shield out to deflect their quick retaliation for a couple seconds while you either duck behind solid cover or a teammate finishes them.

With tenta brella, this same string of motions is far too slow, leaving wide windows of vulnerability for the opponent to simply ink your face.
It may be that holding the tenta brella's shield is not the intended primary use, but rather to launch the shield?
If so, then I have minimal experience timing when to launch your brella shield, as I've only used the splat brella launch in a small % of instances (usually to advance on a camping charger)

As far as abilities go, I've been playing with :ability_inksavermain: and special power up (emote when? xP)
-:ability_inksavermain: definitely useful for getting more shield time w/o going empty and getting out more shots for inking/pestering short range opponents from your max range. You might get away with using no :ability_inksavermain:, but you'll have to be particularly frugal with your shots/shields. I recommend at least 1 main, 2 is even better. I'll say more regarding main saver once I find out how many extra shots you can get with how many mains+subs of :ability_inksavermain:.

-Special power up? On the surface, it seems a great ability to have on bubble blower weapon sets: Larger bubbles brings bigger shielding AND bigger blast/inkinng radius when popped.
Being a new special weapon, with bubble physics/movement being tricky to control, I question whether or not the special has much merit without special power up. But is it worth putting forth the 3 mains of special power up worth pushing out extra main saver, or. . .

-Sub power up? A fantastic ability for squid beakons (hopefully your teammates know how and when to use beakons effectively)
but my verdict still is not in.
Is it worth stacking the 2-3 mains needed into a tenta brella build, to make a noticeable difference in beakon jump speed?
:ability_inksavermain: feels essential atm(at least while trying to learn tenta brella) so in order for sub power to make the cut, special power has to be taken out.

In summation, tenta brella has been a bit of a let down, even for myself ;3;
BUT I'M NOT GIVING UP YET.
I am reminded of another certain heavy weight weapon which used to summon tsunamis that I got to play for the first time about 2 years ago. I thought it was hot garbage at first and, well, any splat1 vets should be able to tell you how wrong I turned out to be. ^_^;

BONUS: (Special thanks to Heddy from Inkipedia for sharing this vid with me)
Teammates CAN shoot through your brella shield (aiming may be tricky)

Last edited:

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
It's been difficult playing with tenta brella.

I definitely understand why the Devs had to make tenta slower than the splat brella(so that it doesn't completely outclass it, duh)
But it feels perhaps too slow.

-long delay between finishing the shot and deploying your shield
-equally long delay before you can shoot again OR squid and swim away(particularly important for when you miss a shot or don't 1hko your target)

Reiterating what @MINKUKEL said, this thing has a steep learning curve if it is indeed secretely OP, ala H3 nozzlenose
And, perhaps, the tenta brella requires a significantly different playstyle than splat brella (my currently most used weapon in splat2)

My splat brella playstyle plays a lot with stationary blocking of shots, approaching from a different angle than my allies in order to draw fire from the opponents. This works because you can threaten the opponent with a single shot (sometimes 2) then quickly pop your shield out to deflect their quick retaliation for a coule seconds while yo either duck behind solid cover or a teammate finishes them.

With tenta brella, this same string of motions is far too slow, leaving wide windows of vulnerability for the opponent to simply ink you down
It may be that holding the tenta brella's shield is not the intended primary use, but rather to launch the shield?
If so, then I have minimal experience timing when to launch your brella shield, as I've only used the splat brella launch in a small % of instances (usually to advance on a camping charger)

As far as abilities go, I've been playing with :ability_inksavermain: and special power up (emote when? xP)
-:ability_inksavermain: definitely useful for getting more shield time w/o going empty and getting out more shots for inking/pestering short range opponents from your max range. You might get away with using no :ability_inksavermain:, but you'll have to be particularly frugal with your shots/shields. I recommend at least 1 main, 2 is even better. I'll say more regarding main saver once I find out how many extra shots you can get with how many mains+subs of :ability_inksavermain:.

-Special power up? On the surface, it seems a great ability to have on bubble blower weapon sets: Larger bubbles brings bigger shielding AND bigger blast/inkinng radius when popped.
Being a new special weapon, with bubble physics/movement being tricky to control, I question whether or not the special has much merit without special power up. But is it worth putting forth the 3 mains of special power up worth pushing out extra main saver, or. . .

-Sub power up? A fantastic ability for squid beakons (hopefully your teammates know how and when to use beakons effectively)
but my verdict still is not in.
Is it worth stacking the 2-3 mains needed into a tenta brella build, to make a noticeable difference in beakon jump speed?
:ability_inksavermain: feels essential atm(at least while trying to learn tenta brella) so in order for sub power to make the cut, special power has to be taken out.

In summation, tenta brella has been a bit of a let down, even for myself ;3;
BUT I'M NOT GIVING UP YET.
I am reminded of another certain heavy weight weapon which used to summon tsunamis that I got to play for the first time about 2 years ago. I thought it was hot garbage at first, and, well, any splat1 vets should be able to tell you how wrong I turned out to be. ^_^;

BONUS: (Special thanks to Heddy from Inkipedia for sharing this vid with me)
Teammates CAN shoot through your brella shield (aiming may be tricky)

I agree, everything is too slow, including the shield. The hit boxes don't work for the shield because I put it up and it opened just as I died. They should also decrease the ink consumption on the shield. It takes up half of a tank!

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I was so excited when the Tenta brella was announced! It gave me goosebumps thinking of all the potential the new weapon had to offer! Then I got my hands on it! Then I promptly took my hands off of it and went back to practicing with the Rapid Blaster Pro. My issue with the weapon isn't the power potential or the huge shield, but simply that it is too slow as many others have said already. I know that I am a defensive player, but maybe this weapon is too defensive? I couldn't get the hang of it. Hopefully someone comes along to help us figure out how to use this thing.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
I played with the Tent a good bit when it came out and a bit the day after, and while it is undeniably a very weird weapon, I actually kinda like it. In terms of turf, while it has a very low fire rate, it covers a large area per shot, which makes up for the slow fire rate. In terms of killing power, you can only OHKO a person if they are right in front of you, and trying to get multiple hits on a target that's even a little bit away is a no-go, but if you sneak up on a person, or launch your tent before the confrontation, you stand a decent chance, especially if you have a friend sharing your tent.

Speaking of which, the tent is both a blessing and a curse. In the heat of a fight, you aren't going to have enough time to pop open your tent before you get splatted. But if you take the time to set up your tent and send it in before you dive into enemy territory, it can provide good cover for a charge, and provide a nice wall for you to shoot the enemy through, and secure a splat.

That said, you shouldn't underestimate the Tent's ability to be aggresive. While there are much better weapons for a one-hit kill, if you can sneak up on an enemy and you get close enough, you are basically guaranteed a kill, and if things go sour, you still have the wide spread shot (which splats in 3-4 hits), which while far from ideal, will still often secure a trade, and even sometimes save your life. Combine that with the wall and the solid spread of ink, and the Tent can actually be a pretty fun weapon once you learn it, even if it is very weird.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
After using it in ranked for a bit, this is probably one of the weapons that need you to rely on your teammates the most, as going in by yourself with the weapon will most likely result in death since it's very slow. I've had some success with it regardless, but still. It even has the movement penalties for being a ''heavy weapon'' like the Dynamo and E-Liter.
From the blocking it does to launching your shield for your allies to take advantage of, the beakons that nobody ever uses and even the Bubble Blower all need a bit of thought from your teammates, and hopefully they can pick up on what you have to do with the thing : putting up a good setup with Beakons and the shield itself, holding ground, and providing cover with your shield and Bubbles. It's like the epitome of defensive right here, haha!

For gear and setup, I have been running Ink Saver Main (1 Main + 6 Subs), Special Power Up (2 Mains) and a bit of Special Charge (3 Subs).
Ink Saver Main as people have said already is near necessary since it uses up so much ink, Special Power is always nice with Bubble Blowers, making them bigger, so they take more damage and paint more, and I have a small amount of Special Charge because the main weapon itself, being slow as it is makes it that it doesn't cover ground all that well, so the extra help for more Bubbles is nice

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
These are all interesting points that I hadn't considered when trying the weapon originally. Perhaps I'll give the Tent another try keeping a more defensive thought process in mind. Should be easy for an already defensive player, right? Right?

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, was about to slam in some gear ability stuff into the OP when
showed up.(Splat2, version 1.4.0)
Ignore the fact that they're probably using 3 pures of run-speed, based on the gear they have on and my knowledge of rockenberg run speed gear that has shown up in Annie's shop.

SO, while I can still put in something on Special power up and main saver, I've got to re-evaluate run speed xP

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
It can be better, but it's actually starting to feel good now.

Yet I'll have to take it outside into a match just to be sure.

Not sure if it was possible in the 1.3 version, but I figured out that if you fire just before jumping out of ink you can dive back into ink almost immediately upon landing like an inky dolphin. Otherwise there's a slight lag animation before you can squid.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
for me in s+ who ever has this on their team has been losing about 90 percent of the time, it's like in s+ on splatoon 1 who ever got the areospray was probably losing. I hate it when you see your team and the other team and you just know due to the game type and map set up there is probably no chance due to weapon composition that your going to win. i just find this game moves way to fast with fast charging specials and so many fast ink covering weapons for slower weapons in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom