• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Aerospray is Ridiculous

Dragoomba

Inkling
I AM SIMPLY EXPLAINING WHY I BELIEVE THE AEROSPRAY IS THE BEST WEAPON IN THE GAME. That's it.
I am not complaining nor suggesting anything stupid like a "ban" for the weapon.

I figured this would be its own thread rather than posting in the analysis and thoughts thread.

As it stands, I believe the Aerospray is objectively the best weapon in the entire game. It's so versatile that you actually don't need any other weapon type on your team. As much as I love theorizing about what combinations and teams could provide excellent synergy, this seems to be the unfortunate truth. Yes, I am entirely convinced that the most optimal team composition in this game is four Aerosprays. Why limit yourself to a roller when you can paint paths more efficiently, actually splatter swimmable walls without struggling, and possess ranged fire that beats every other shooter in the game? Not to mention that with how well this weapon inks territory, you get your inkstrike/inkzooka in pretty much the first 10 seconds of the game, with potentially many more to come.

Now, I know the shtick they were trying to go for. This weapon is the go to painter weapon, so it would be fair to give it an amazing rate of fire, but balance it out with abysmal range and statistically the weakest damage among the shooters. This alone would make the weapon extremely useful, as painting is the main objective in the game and the scores reflect that. The only problem with this is that the aforementioned firing rate is so incredible that the DPS actually beats out every other shooter in combat, as shown in the data collected by ElStalky here.

My main loadouts so far have been the Jet Squelcher, Custom Splattershot Jr, and Blaster. I can usually average around 700-900p per win with these, and maybe achieve 1,000p on an amazing run. Then, for the first time, I decided to take the Aerospray RG for a spin and was astonished to see myself averaging around 1,200p per win. I've noticed the top scorers would usually be donning either of the Aerosprays, but I never expected it to be so effortless. Not only is the Aerospray the best weapon in the game, it also seems to be the easiest weapon in the game to use.

As for the expected counter-arguments:

• It's the first couple days, wait a month or two and see what the meta is. - This isn't a fighting game where there are entire movesets to explore, there isn't really that much potential tech to be found with any of the loadouts aside from general strategies. Despite the interesting mechanics, the premise of this game is very simple. Your objectives are to ink as much territory as you can and prevent the enemy team from inking territory. The Aerospray exceeds in both of these, more so than any other weapon in the game, while simultaneously building up the super weapon gauge faster than any other weapon.
  • This is all based on Turf Wars. We should wait and see when Splat Zones is available via Ranked Match. - Wait for a game mode that emphasizes close quarters gameplay where the Aerospray excels the most? I honestly think the Aerospray will be even more amazing in this mode, but I can't really say anything for sure until it comes out.
  • I usually dominate Aerospray users with my (insert other loadout here). - Then they're probably bad, not sure what else to say. The only possible counter I can think of is a charger player who's straight god status with 100% accuracy.

Ideally, if they were to patch it (not holding my breath), my suggestion would be to keep the amazing fire-rate and painting capabilities as this gun was clearly designed with that in mind. However, make the damage even weaker, down to being the worst DPS out of all the shooters. It would still be possible to win confrontations, just not as easy. Plus, the Aerospray users would still be the first players in the game to get their super weapons, so that's still a very large advantage. I feel like this is how they originally wanted to balance it, but didn't realize how powerful the DPS turned out to be.

We'll see what happens in the future. Until then, I'm joining the Aerospray master race. :)

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Meh. The Aerospray is good at gaining points, but that's pretty much all there is to it. Sure, they have the best DPS in theory, but in practice, I find their accuracy and range lacking. You pretty much have to hug the other guy to get a splat within a reasonable amount of time, which puts you at great risk. Aerospray does good on maps with lots of cover and tiny areas. Arowana Mall, for example. Perhaps Urchin Underpass too. On all others, well, it will paint, but they are also easy pickings for chargers and shooters that actually have some range on them.

The problem is that points are actually a pretty bad way to determine exactly who is doing the best. I've seen chargers locking down entire areas and securing their team's win pretty much by themselves score third place. The game counts nothing except the amount of ground you've covered.

I'm just going to stick with the Splattershot Pro, thank you very much.

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
Aero is good and will probably remain popular but in no way is going to be overpowering, if there is someone on high ground and you are below you have basically no way of every catching up to them. Mines are hype though.

I actually don't think there is a single "number 1" weapon right now, if anything it's a tie right now between aerospray, bubbleshot jr, krak roller, and .96

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I use the Aerospray RG when I feel like racking up points but don't feel like being a great support player. Yes, it inks ground very well, which is most of the point, but as far as combat goes, it's subpar.

If you manage to sneak up on somebody and get up close, then yeah, it overwhelms them, but the RG is terrible at shooting up and will get slaughtered by anybody standing on a box. Going to the front lines with it is a great way to get sent back to your spawn point very quickly.

It's a great "cleanup" weapon. The Aerosrapy player should always be go to an area AFTER a big firefight took place there. They should only push forward if there is a clear advantage to doing so, such as the enemy team being pinned down at their spawn and being unable to push back, or in the last thirty seconds of a close game where you need ink on the ground.

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
Aerospray is probably the safest bet for random turf wars, but I feel that the Krak-on roller, with it's amazing ability to penetrate enemy lines and then stay there, inviting friends with the beacon subweapon, should have a place on every organized team.

And while Aero is certainly better at close combat than it has any right to be, you're really overstating it a bit. The blaster, for instance, is a fantastic 1-shot, 1 kill weapon that can hit around corners.

Narayan

Full Squid
NNID
suacidesquid
The main objective is not to cover the ground with your ink, but having IN THE END more ground covered than the rest.

I can run around, spray, earn 1,1k points and still lose. But I can also defend the big areas in saltspray rigs, earn 400 points and still win. Or I can rush at the end with my team and turn everything around. This is when killing and creating space is useful and a bubble comes in very handy.

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
The main objective is not to cover the ground with your ink, but having IN THE END more ground covered than the rest.

I can run around, spray, earn 1,1k points and still lose. But I can also defend the big areas in saltspray rigs, earn 400 points and still win. Or I can rush at the end with my team and turn everything around. This is when killing and creating space is useful and a bubble comes in very handy.
Yeah, this is an important part of it. The thing is though, that with the ink mines, I actually find the aero RG really good at holding the big area. MG is more of an all-out rambo, while RG focuses more on controlling territory.

Still, the point remains that spreading massive quantities of ink by itself will not mean victory. If you want massive amounts of points, you can just run behind enemies all day. Why, killing them would only dry up your source of points, if that's all you're concerned about!

It's subtle, but there absolutely is a vital difference between what gets you high points, and what actually wins you matches.

Life

Senior Squid
Due to its high score potential, Aerospray is the best level-grinding weapon in the game (aside from debatably Jr), but it's not a free win by any means.

Ansem

Inkling
NNID
fluidAnsem
I do agree it is the best weapon in the game i dont think its overpowered. In a theoretical world where it is highest dps 100% of the time you would just get one shot by a charger before youre in range. In practice it is pretty great by far the best pub weapon imo

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
Guys, the Aerospray IS COVERED IN GOLD. There's probably a good reason for it right?
As far as I'm concerned, if you're solely focused on getting some mula, this weapon straight up does this the best.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Is it the best weapon? Maybe. But not only is it marginally better at best, we're playing a fraction of a game. Perhaps Nintendo is sitting on the ultimate Aerospray counter. Honestly, I don't see Nintendo patching much and instead releasing weapons that easily handle what's popular.

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
I've gone back and forth between this and the Krak-on Roller. I prefer the roller for straight efficiency, when I feel like purely playing the objective. The fact that I can start a fight with the ENTIRE enemy team and still win it by going into Kraken form is undeniably a load of fun. I also like the paint coverage to be NEAT UND TIDY, and rollers definitely appeal to my insane desire to make things uniform.

I also really love the Aerospray...RG? The one with the inkstrike. The best part is unleashing the inkstrike on teh enemy base at the last second. I like to imagine mad salt that I'm inducing.

Last edited:

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I've gone back and forth between this and the Krak-on Roller. I prefer the roller for straight efficiency, when I feel like purely playing the objective. The fact that I can start a fight with the ENTIRE enemy team and still win it by going into Kraken form is undeniably a load of fun. I also like the paint coverage to be NEAT UND TIDY, and rollers definitely appeal to my insane desire to make things uniform.

I also really love the Aerospray...RG? The one with the airstrike. The best part is unleashing the airstrike on teh enemy base at the last second. I like to imagine mad salt that I'm inducing.
Yasss so much salt when an inkstrike happens, I love it with the .52 deco. I've yet to play with Aerospray (havent done much of story mode) but I'm curious to see if it lives up to all the hype. I LOVE my Krak-ON roller and it destroys teams. Only time I retreat with kraken is when someone turns on a bubbler.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
for my play style, the aerospray MG is great. It offers me both great offensive and defensive capabilities, and lets me play any way I want. that isn't to say it has no weaknesses (competent snipers are sometimes a hassle, and if you're stuck in ink, you're a target for Gal. weapons), I just have a method that the aerospray lets me utilize to its fullest. I love to use other weapons, but that loadout is my favorite so far.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Really, people thought the splat roller was the best, now it's the aerospray. Aerospray is a good weapon but it's not the best. In a 1 on 1 battle in a tight spot, it can win, but in a open field with your in and their ink on each side, it's even. As this game is played more it will have more strategies to beat stronger weapons. One thing I like to do to beat aerosprays is to sneak from behind, spray around the aerospray-er and then hit him.

Dragoomba

Inkling
Really, people thought the splat roller was the best, now it's the aerospray..
People thought the Splat Roller was the best when there were only four weapons and nobody knew how to play the game. Anyone competent could tell it wasn't OP.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
I have to agree with the others here, while aerospray is great at certain things, it also has its weaknesses. I don't think its going to be one of those weapons that if you're not good at it then you suck, but its going to a weapon that if you are good at it, you'll be able to rock it out and beat players that don't know how to play against it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom