• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Aerospray is Ridiculous

viellain

Inkling
I used to be a Jet Squelcher, but the Aerospray simply dominates. Its killing power is highly unmatched at close range. Plus its absolute viability at covering area where you can spray areas near the beginning charge inkstrike then take territory, and in ranked mode it still does well due to its inkmines. It's top tier for me along with Aerospray RG, Splatter Jr., Aerospray MG, Custom Blaster, .96 Gal in that following order. But can you really argue the Aerospray when the teams with Aerospray in Ranked Battles & Turf War just win? The results are there. This weapon covers more territory than a roller ever will due to its absurd fire rate and next to none ammunition consumption. I wouldn't be surprised if they nerf this, but we should be expecting it at this rate.

Last edited:

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
People thought the Splat Roller was the best when there were only four weapons and nobody knew how to play the game. Anyone competent could tell it wasn't OP.
People, even now, think it's OP. Can't tell if they just got the game or not though.

Aerodrome

God of Thunder
I think people think Roller is bad because they're easily kited, but for the most part a good Roller runs away from people rather than directly at them. They're very strong in Turf Wars on certain maps/if they manage to get into the back lines.

At this point I will have to agree that the Aerospray is ludicrously overpowered, but they ALSO get inkstrike. Like... why? LOL

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Yes, I am entirely convinced that the most optimal team composition in this game is four Aerosprays.
So not one person on your team should have any range? Nobody specializes? Yeah, sure, sounds great.

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
Quad Aerospray is great, but I've still taken down Lv20 4 Aerospray teams in Turf War. Splattershot and blasters kill in less shots, and rollers OHKO on contact. Getting caught off-guard is still an instant death if the enemy closes in on you fast enough. I use RG myself and it's fantastic with Inkstrike (Inkzooka isn't half bad either, good for sniping snipers). I used to main Krak-On but I get more points 100% of the time using the RG.

I'll still be switching to Inkbrush when it comes out, but for now I'm an Aerospray fan and the only thing I might drop it for is Duel Squelcher after seeing people get pummeled with it in a match.

Dragoomba

Inkling
So not one person on your team should have any range? Nobody specializes? Yeah, sure, sounds great.
No range? Are you forgetting that Ink Strike has the best range in the game since you pinpoint where it lands anywhere on the map? The Inkzooka has pretty amazing range as well. You get the super weapons so fast with the Aerospray that they might as well be sub weapons. First 10 seconds in the match and all four Aerosprays on the team already have Ink Strike, GG. I know you really want this Nintendo shooter to be really deep and oozing with strategy, I'm sorry.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
No range? Are you forgetting that Ink Strike has the best range in the game since you pinpoint where it lands anywhere on the map? The Inkzooka has pretty amazing range as well. You get the super weapons so fast with the Aerospray that they might as well be sub weapons. First 10 seconds in the match and all four Aerosprays on the team already have Ink Strike, GG. I know you really want this Nintendo shooter to be really deep and oozing with strategy, I'm sorry.
Unless you already know where the snipers are, it's not going to do you much good.

And if you think something like this is enough to sink all hope for strategy in this game, you've never seen a truly unbalanced game. Kid Icarus has much worse balance and yet cookie-cutter loadouts and strategies just fail.

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
There's only one area I feel that the Aerospray is overpowered and that's in ammo capacity. I feel like I run out of ammo very quickly with most weapons but I have never even gone down to a third of my Aerospray ammo. As far as I can tell, ink is consumed at a rate based on how long you are firing for and not how much ink you produce. So weapons with low firing rates factually can't produce the same results that the Aerosprays can. If this was adjusted even slightly it would be the exact adjustment needed to bring the Aerospray close to the baseline all other weapons are at.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Could it be we've gone from "rollers are OP" to "aerosprays are OP"?

/s

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
You're kidding, right? Inkstrike is limited by your meter, leaves you defenseless and distracted while using it, and it's telegraphed long enough for anyone to get out of the way. It's only good for claiming turf and flushing opponents off their perch, not for fighting. Won't do you a lick of good against the .96 Gal who can effortlessly kite you at midrange.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
Sometimes i feel like when you set yourself up to take out Areosprays then you cant keep up with the ink they can spread everywhere so quickly.

The only exception for me is the dual squelcher, Its special really helps me both space and not get snuck up on. But I don't think i'm playing against the best players so what do I know?

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I've beaten teams of four Aerosprays with a team of more diverse weapons plenty of times. You just have to never let them get at an open area ever never ever, especially at the end of the match. Outrange them at the chokepoints, friends.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Aerosprays are good, but yeah, they are so easy to kill.

Their main way of killing is sneak attacks also, which isn't the best method.

Still, there ability to spread ink isn't to be overlooked. And seekers and ink strikes are always good.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
I've beaten teams of four Aerosprays with a team of more diverse weapons plenty of times. You just have to never let them get at an open area ever never ever, especially at the end of the match. Outrange them at the chokepoints, friends.
Yup what you said works i used to try to trade or fight them head on now i just try to spread as much paint as possible and hold down choke points.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Whoa, it's almost as if that's the main objective of the game.
Very briefly moving opponents out of the way is not the objective, no. All it does is give you an opening, but ironically the Aerospray is not suited to taking advantage of that opening because it's bad at direct combat. It won't be hard for them to quickly reclaim and regroup.

Have you ever tried to fight, say, a .96 Gal user with an Aerospray? It's pretty much a hard counter, and that's far from the only weapon that can shut you down. If your entire team lacks an answer to that, that is not a good team composition.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Finally beat the 3rd boss to get areosprayers and I am in LOVE. I'm finally moving up ranks, I'm winning more than I'm losing which I am actually in awe of lol.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
There's only one area I feel that the Aerospray is overpowered and that's in ammo capacity. I feel like I run out of ammo very quickly with most weapons but I have never even gone down to a third of my Aerospray ammo. As far as I can tell, ink is consumed at a rate based on how long you are firing for and not how much ink you produce. So weapons with low firing rates factually can't produce the same results that the Aerosprays can. If this was adjusted even slightly it would be the exact adjustment needed to bring the Aerospray close to the baseline all other weapons are at.
I think you are wrong. I believe it is based on how much damage per shot your weapon does. As the Aerospray does low damage per shot, that implies every shot uses a small portion of your ink tank. Considering it's a very spread shot, that's probably the reason why you think that.

Osha

Full Squid
NNID
Oshawatt
And then Splat Zones happened, where the Aerospray is no longer relevant because the point of this mode is keeping your distances with the opponent.

Also, the N-Zap '85 does everything the Aerospray could do, but much better.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
And then Splat Zones happened, where the Aerospray is no longer relevant because the point of this mode is keeping your distances with the opponent.

Also, the N-Zap '85 does everything the Aerospray could do, but much better.
I don't think the N-Zap '85 can use Inkstrike/Inkzooka very effectively (if at all). Not to mention the subs either. It's not all about the main weapon :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom