• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Aerospray is Ridiculous

Osha

Full Squid
NNID
Oshawatt
I don't think the N-Zap '85 can use Inkstrike/Inkzooka very effectively (if at all). Not to mention the subs either. It's not all about the main weapon :p
Inkstrike is ridiculously overrated and only covers a small point of the map which can be quickly recovered in your own ink, Echolocator does a much better job at making your opponents panic, since they can't just hide. Also, Inkzooka is a joke, you'd think it'd cover more distance than that. The Seeker of the MG is only useful to have a small lead in your ink spraying because it's honestly bad at targeting people, and the Ink Mine can be good, but only under some circumstances, like on slopes where the enemy doesn't see it flash before the explosion. On flat ground it's pointless.
I'm saying the N-Zap is better because I've almost exclusively been using the Aerosprays, so I want to say I know what I'm talking about.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Inkstrike is ridiculously overrated and only covers a small point of the map which can be quickly recovered in your own ink, Echolocator does a much better job at making your opponents panic, since they can't just hide. Also, Inkzooka is a joke, you'd think it'd cover more distance than that. The Seeker of the MG is only useful to have a small lead in your ink spraying because it's honestly bad at targeting people, and the Ink Mine can be good, but only under some circumstances, like on slopes where the enemy doesn't see it flash before the explosion. On flat ground it's pointless.
I'm saying the N-Zap is better because I've almost exclusively been using the Aerosprays, so I want to say I know what I'm talking about.
Have you played Splat Zones at all? Because that's where Inkstrikes and Ink Mines really shine. Inkzooka is also extremely good at destroying sniper nests and what not, if used properly (it's more situational than Echolocator for sure but it has great uses).

It's all about preferences. By no means N-Zap is objectively better than, say Aerospray RG. Extra range can be countered by flanking, while the zone control you get from Inkstrike and Ink Mines are harder to counter.

Osha

Full Squid
NNID
Oshawatt
Have you played Splat Zones at all? Because that's where Inkstrikes and Ink Mines really shine. Inkzooka is also extremely good at destroying sniper nests and what not, if used properly (it's more situational than Echolocator for sure but it has great uses).

It's all about preferences. By no means N-Zap is objectively better than, say Aerospray RG. Extra range can be countered by flanking, while the zone control you get from Inkstrike and Ink Mines are harder to counter.
Of course I've played Splat Zones, why would I talk about it otherwise ? The N-Zap has the coverage abilities of the Aerosprays and more range to boot, so there's no discussion about the usefulness of the two weapons. While the sub and specials are more up to preference, I still think Splat Bombs and Echolocator are a much better option to disrupt the enemy's progress in this mode specifically.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Of course I've played Splat Zones, why would I talk about it otherwise ? The N-Zap has the coverage abilities of the Aerosprays and more range to boot, so there's no discussion about the usefulness of the two weapons. While the sub and specials are more up to preference, I still think Splat Bombs and Echolocator are a much better option to disrupt the enemy's progress in this mode specifically.
I was just making sure. The points you were making seemed Turf War-like. I'm not denying that weapon has it's uses, but in no way it does outclass the Aerospray. They have different uses in a comp.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I can agree on echolocator. But, Cold blooded hard counters it. As the meta evolves, we will see more cold blooded.

Last edited:

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
N-Zap 85 is the best weapon with the worst loadout. I really don't think Echolocator is good for this mode because players are usually out in the open heading for the point anyway, tracking them is a lot less useful than it would be in Turf Wars. That's not to say it's totally useless of course, but other specials are a lot better. Not a fan of bombs either due to the long fuse making them easy to react to and dodge. They're alright for flushing snipers off a perch, but I just feel like that's not enough to justify how much ink they cost you or the fact that you could be using a less niche subweapon. IDK, maybe that's just me though.

Now, when the 89 comes out, we'll see how that alt stacks up.

Kevham

Inkling
NNID
Kevham
Now, Don't get me wrong, The Aerospray is a magnificent weapon, but it's not the best. It has incredible inking for Turf wars and is a huge pain to deal with whenever you get too close to an enemy; But it has its weakpoints. Unless you Rush down an oblivious enemy or someone with horrid aim, You will be out-ranged. Even if you attempt to sneak up on them, Unless you have a clear path and pray they don't see your movement, You'll get spotted and likely killed. (Or at the very least your own kill is a bigger hassle to get.) It seems as if lots of people are using it online as a semi-roller in the worst way. Blindly charging into a player with the Aerospray's range is a sure fire way to get killed. I'm not gonna bother talking about the subs and specials, because I don't really know how they're best used. I'll leave that bickering to the professionals.

TL;DR-
The Aerospray is in no way 'the best gun' It's amazing, but not the best.

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
I didn't want to be heavy user for Rollers, so I gave Aerospray MG/RG a shot and these two weapons have been outstanding for my recent matches. For RG, Ink Mines are great for rampant Rollers and last second Inkstrikes can really be a game changer. For MG (current use), Seekers are decent to make the opposition huddle back a bit and Inkzooka is a really useful counter for those pesky high-range classes. But like many that have mentioned previously, SS and Chargers have been giving me a lot of trouble and it's hard to back off Gals and Krakens with it. And it's a very difficult weapon to use in Splat Zones due to surprise attacks of said higher-ranged/stronger classes. Nevertheless, Aerospray series are my go-to options for a lot of upsets.

Last edited:

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
I think you are wrong. I believe it is based on how much damage per shot your weapon does. As the Aerospray does low damage per shot, that implies every shot uses a small portion of your ink tank. Considering it's a very spread shot, that's probably the reason why you think that.
Maybe, but even so I'm talking about paint coverage and it is just too much of an advantage in Turf War. On top of that the Aerospray can fire probably 2-3 times the amount of shots that say a Jet Squelcher could from a full tank. And they have comparable damage.

Setu

All I have seen that is useful from the aerospray mg/rg in splat zones is ink mines and maybe seekers. Coverage really doesn't matter as much as kills do in splat zones, and I feel the longer and more average weapons are better for it.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
All I have seen that is useful from the aerospray mg/rg in splat zones is ink mines and maybe seekers. Coverage really doesn't matter as much as kills do in splat zones, and I feel the longer and more average weapons are better for it.
It has the highest dps in the game as long as you know how to flank.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
I do feel like people are gradually adapting to this weapon. It really falls short in range and in splat zones people are wising up and resorting to the N-Zap or Squelchers instead to out range whilst still maintaining rapid fire.

I still feel like it's a bit OP in turf wars but maybe Nintendo will address this over time.

Erico9001

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Erico9001
Aerospray is a great weapon, but its main downfall is its range. This makes it hard to get kills against a competent opponent who knows how to use his longer range. At this time, most people are fairly inexperienced, so Aerospray is at its prime. As time continues and the average skill level of players on teams, aerospray will become less prominent. However, I don't think it will ever be bad. The aerospray user needs to learn how to use stealth rather than mindlessly charging forward. It is like the roller, but to a bit of a lesser extent.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I always tried to use the Ninja Squid ability with any of the aerosprays to flank the opponents, but it's useless if all my teammates are getting killed as soon as they arrive and i'm the only one left to actually attack, even if take two down, there is two more defending the place, and then the other two will come back later, so i have found that having a long range weapon is better than a shortrange, if i can hit them, they can't hit me from those distances.

Aerospray is more for covering ground rather than taking over a location you can't protect.

Chiro

Inkster Jr.
Short story: The Aerospray is powerful for points, but can be easily took down if you have good reflexes.

Long story:
The moment i saw someone with a aerospray is they easily kill, but also easily get killed. I tried both Aerospray and works wonders. I instanly gain 900+ points in a turf war. From what some users said. A 52/96 gal easily wins from Aerospray. Im rather gonna use it to get lvl 20 as fast as possible.

Btw other downfall is its range, it can be easily be took down by a sniper. Unless you have good reflexes. But killing people from the back is handy, they dont can turn back as the aerosprays dps is really quick.

One thing RG does really great at ranked battles in Arowana mall.

tokyodown

Full Squid
NNID
Tokyodown
THE PAINT COVERAGE OH MY (I just shed with the RG for the first time)

Superjustinbros

Pro Squid
NNID
AozoraJustin
I use the Aerospray simply because it makes a lot of cash in non-ranked battles, so in maybe 9 to 10 matches I'll get 10,000G.

KingSlime

Inkling
DPS is misleading. What you want is TTK.

Aerospray is a five shot kill. Four bullet intervals at 66ms is a 264ms optimal TTK.
Splattershot is a three shot kill. Two bullet interval at 102ms is 204ms optimal TTK.
.52 Gal is a two shot kill. One bullet interval at 151ms is a 151ms optimal TTK.

This is assuming 100% accuracy from the start. If you both whiff one shot it becomes 330ms / 306ms / 302ms. Then consider that Aerosprays fire in a large cone, making it take more than 4 intervals even if you're 100% accurate yourself except at point blank range, plus the lesser damaging range period and you find it does not have the fastest realistic TTK in any range group. Objectively, it's got a middling TTK over an effective range comparable to jumping roller swings.

Whether or not it needs a nerf is still debatable but let's not pretend it's a slayer. It'll kill what you flank at close range, just like most other weapons but it's no 1v1 machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom