• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The Fan Language of Splatoon

Wario94

Inkling
NNID
HeihachixKuniko
Okay, I've found a few errors on the 2/26/2016 edition:
on the syllabary section, the syllabus for ke, ki, and ko has the pronunciation all wrong. The letter ke had the pronunciation for ko, ki has the pronunciation for ke, and ko has the pronunciation for ki. Are you going to fix that mistake?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Okay, I've found a few errors on the 2/26/2016 edition:
on the syllabary section, the syllabus for ke, ki, and ko has the pronunciation all wrong. The letter ke had the pronunciation for ko, ki has the pronunciation for ke, and ko has the pronunciation for ki. Are you going to fix that mistake?
Dunno, man. Everything looks fine to me.

Attached is a photo of the new Inkling syllabary which will be taught this Thursday at my annual teacher's forum! My lesson plan is simple:
1) Introduce myself and this language (entirely in Inkling)
2) Model and elicit pronunciation and responses for "Hello", "How are you?", "Good", "And you?", "What's your name?", "My name is..."
3) Provide each students with a three or four character Inkling name (character only, no notation)
4) Students must walk around classroom looking at all the characters to find the pronunciation of their names.
5) Upon everyone finding all their names, they will introduce themselves using the modeled Inkling greetings from before.

I'm thinking this will be a fifteen minute lesson. I have an hour long session so I should be able to do four of them. Video will likely not be an option for me but I can probably swing some photos hopefully. A lot of logistics need to be planned out first. Classroom size, number of students, white board availability, etc.

Attachments

Wario94

Inkling
NNID
HeihachixKuniko
Dunno, man. Everything looks fine to me.
Then could you explain this to me:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hi4XB7dZL6Y3-j1Fpny5_Uyi34sUF4Y1/view?usp=drivesdk

Now do you believe me?

Also, about the picture you shot, I think I like this idea in which you updated some of the Inkling characters with that which was came from Splatoon 2, a game in which, even though I've only own the game, I have never play it yet due to the fact that I didn't own a Nintendo Switch yet.

TheKawaiifan

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0080-7367-3240
Hopefully you see this before your Inkling class:

Good Luck Bro! You're gonna do great!

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I'd be happy to explain it but I don't have permission to view the document. Or the ability to edit the PDF.

I'm going to attach the photos from my Inkling immersion lesson this week!

The lesson plan went as follows:

After introducing the language of Inkling while only speaking Inkling, I prepared some examples of the notation system on the board. I modeled the pronunciation of all the vowel sounds and the consonant sounds, providing IPA where necessary. I then talked through the pronunciation of some full phonemes with students before they, in pairs, practiced the pronunciation of some imagined Inkling phonemes together. After their brief practice, I elicited the correct pronunciation of each from individual students.

Next I moved to the self-introduction. I showed the two squid saying hello and asking how the other is. You can see the board work I used in the next post. I walked through the pronunciation with a student to model for the class. I then allowed students in pairs to practice saying hello and asking about their partner's current status.

The third portion of the lesson was about names. I presented the characters for my name {paiyoza}. I went around the room looking for the three characters to spell the name, demonstrating that characters often must be flipped or turned to find the correct form. (e.g. pa to pai). I then handed out custom-drawn names to all the students. Students went around the room to find the characters for their provided names. Once they all finished finding the correct notation/pronunciation, I modeled with one student the exchange of asking for names in Inkling. Students then practiced asking for names with their partners.

The walls covered in Inkling characters can be seen in the attached images.

Attachments

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Is it a language with declensions and conjugations? Or like English?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
The next portion of the Inkling lesson involved discussing age. On the board I arranged a bunch of numbers in the Inkling writing system. I modeled and drilled the pronunciation of zero through ten, eleven through twenty, and twenty to twenty-nine. I then wrote down the year that I was born, and introduced my age to the students. Assuming that not all students would want to share their real ages with the class, I wrote two digit ages on sheets of paper and gave them to students. They had to interpret the number and its pronunciation and introduce their age to their partner.

After that, it was on to hobbies. On the lower right portion of the board I had illustrated beforehand several different activities in progress by some squid. I modeled the pronunciation and demonstrated each action for clarity. I then presented sentences to express whether or not one likes an activity. I personalized my modeling by telling students which activities I like and which I don't. Students then asked their partners about their preference for activities. I asked some students directly what they like and don't like.

The final task was the take all the questions from this lesson (How are you?) (What's your name?) (How old are you?) (What are your hobbies?) and ask different classmates around the classroom. Then wrap up and finish.

Each lesson took about thirty minutes and involved not a single word (spoken or written) of English. The first lesson (shown in attached photos) had twenty students and the second lesson had six.

Attachments

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Is it a language with declensions and conjugations? Or like English?
Caught me at a good time. No conjugation and no declensions/number/gender. As was stated before, I wanted to have grammatical gender in Inkling apply not to male/female but to different species. For example, Inklings are one gender, Octolings another and the wide range of sea creatures seen in the game all belonging to one group or another. I couldn't quite figure which groups would make the most sense from an Inkling's perspective. So I just scrapped the whole idea. It might have been cool to allow Splatoon's internal politics play out linguistically but I had no solid idea about how to implement it exactly.

Wario94

Inkling
NNID
HeihachixKuniko
I'd be happy to explain it but I don't have permission to view the document. Or the ability to edit the PDF.
Oh dear. I guess that I'm hoping that you should make an up-to-date updated version for your Inkling Language Guide. Also, good luck for your class for how to speak Inkling!

Peptobislawl

Inkling
Ha, getting paid to teach Inkling immersion, I'm jealous.
I downloaded the PDF and I'm having a lot of fun with the idioms and such, the culture represented in the language is pretty fresh. I was looking through the thread and I was surprised to see no one asked the obvious question: What does Woomy mean in English?

TheKawaiifan

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0080-7367-3240
also, question: how does naming work in this language?

can't help but notice that pekoi and sišu sound nothing like callie and marie, or their japanese names aori and hotaru. similar story for other characters. so what gives?

i initially assumed from piyoz's example in the videos that it's acceptable to just sound out your existing name, but seeing what happened to the names of existing characters just made things confusing.

side note:

mild spoiler for octo expansion, agent 3 has a cape now and looks absolutely badass. The symbol on the back is obviously intended to be the number 3, tho it most closely resembles our {še}. my new headcanon is that whatever 3's real name is, it probably starts with {še}

brad1431

Inkling
the iu facebook page is down and the link in inkopolis universities youtube channel to the inkopolis university hub page is broken

edit: this is my first time in squidboards i joined because of inkopolis university

SKiyoshi

Inkling
Hello, I recently came by from the Octoling language thread. I am more interested in this one since it has more to it so far. I saw your PDF and noticed you had glyphs/symbols for the writing. Is there any fonts available for download in case a person wanted to try typing in this conlang using its glyphs?

MeowMilk

Inkling
I'm missing the noun "name". Or is saying "My name is [insert your name]." not a thing in this language and would you just say "I am [insert your name]."? Or is it "I am named [insert your name]."?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom