• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The future of Splatoon.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If I were to try any tactics game what would you recommend?
The ones I listed. Disgaea, Advanced Wars, Fire Emblem, and Mario+Rabbids to name a few. Some are less complex than others. If you have a DS there are loads of good turn bassed game for it.

Cephalobro

There was someone who thought of a tower defense sort of spin-off and I followed up with my own post that it could be a game about the rest of the Octarians making into Inkopolis when it becomes attacked by the Salmonids. So the conflict is essentially Octarian vs Salmonid. The only Octarian not accessible would be the Octoling since Octolings would make the game too easy and the point in the story is for the tentacle creatures to prove themselves that they are not threats to Inkopolis anymore.

It's actually pretty easy to figure out how the gameplay would be since Salmonid AI already suits this kind of idea and the Octarian AI could be reprogrammed to not move and only turn toward their Salmonid targets. This would make a small prequel to what could happen in Splatoon 3 where there isn't a clear division anymore and you will be able to see all kinds of Octarians in Inkopolis. Sure, there might be enemy Octarians, but there will also be Octarians who aren't enemies and yes, I'm talking about the tentacle people in this case.

Last edited:

X-BIRT

Inkster Jr.
Not gonna lie, while the gameplay sounds interesting, I'm just not too into the tentacle creatures, and I hope they focus more on Ink/Octolink like humanoids in the future. (minus the shopkeepers I guess, but still). Real world only has one sapient species, let alone dominant. How many can they add before it's over the shark?

In regards to S3, I honestly to wait a bit on this one. Remember the same staff does Animal Crossing. I think the only reason we got S2 so soon was because the Switch launched so oson after the original's release and they wanted their shiny new franchise on it ASAP. Now that Nintento's in a stronger position, I'm confident we won't see another mainline game until the next gen.

As for spinoffs- yeah, Inkling's in Smash. But so are Captain Falcon and the Ice Climbers, that really doesn't say much. I'd put more stock into them showing up in Mariokart to be honest. Only other franchises there are Zelda and Animal Crossing, that's much bigger name company. Even most of them only see one or two games per console though. Zelda, Nintnedo's most consistently succsessful and supported franchise after Mario had: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on N64, Twilight Princess on Gamecube, Skyward Sword on Wii, and Breath of the Wild on Wii U, because that's what it was for originally. The last time Zelda had two games on a system was literally in the 90's. And Splatoon has an issue Zelda and the others don't in that regard, a reliance on other players. I only bought Splatoon 2 a year ago or so, I missed a significant portion of it's supported run, and that was with the extra incentive of being on a new system.

If Splatoon 3 is released on the Switch, it will not be an immediate transition. For a timespan of years, probably all the way until they shut the servers down, the existence of two games on the same platform will just split the player base. Leaving the lobbies and communities for both smaller. Splatoon lives and dies by it's multiplayer, a reduced network affect is a serious problem. The existence of S2 would prevent S3 from reaching it's full potential as long as people still wait to transition, and S2 would be seriously kneecapped by S3 existing on the same hardware.

While I'm writing this though, here's what I want from the game most of all: Ranked Turf War, and a casual version of the Ranked modes. I shouldn't be forced to play Ranked just because I want to play Splat Zones or Tower Control, and I know alot of competitive players don't play Turf War as much because of the casual players there. This would solve that.

Last edited:

Cephalobro

The reason why I want the tentacle creatures on the surface is that Octolings are on the surface as well. Only having one Octarian subspecies appear in Inkopolis would be very boring and kind of against the idea that trends and time in Splatoon change. Splatoon 1 only had the default hairstyles and legwear available, the current trend is new haircuts and legwear as well as mixing in the original styles as well as Salmon Run. Not only that, but neither cephalopod species is inherently good or evil. Either way, times always change in Splatoon's setting, it's part of how Inklings always go for the current and new stuff. The line of division has already started to blur since there are Octolings in both Inkopolis and Octo Valley/Canyon. This line of division will only keep being blurred even more and I prefer it's due to the tentacle people living in Inkopolis rather than introducing another playable species. And besides, Splatoon is, in truth, a piece of fiction, meaning that it doesn't have to be entirely based on the real world in terms of how many sapient and dominant species can exist within the same place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom