• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Official Side Order Spoilers Thread

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Lord, I feel like I've been in a trance for the past four-ish days. Side order just took over my entire brain from the moment it dropped til around sunday afternoon when I think the consequences of staring at a screen for so long and not sleeping enough hit me all at once, lol.

This really was/is everything I wanted and more. It exactly fits my wishes of being easy enough to get through all the spoilerable stuff without being super skilled, while still having plenty of brutally difficult challenges I can tackle on my own time.

I wasn't one of those Super Skilled People who attempted no-hacks out the gate, but I did decide to not touch the extra lives or continue hacks until I had gotten at least one clear. Everything else was fair game though. The structure I laid out for myself was to play whatever palette I had the fewest keys on, and I told myself that if I got two keys on everything and still hadn't cleared, maybe I would consider buying the extra lives hack. I was kind of on the fence between "I want this to be a satisfying challenge to overcome" and "I want to be able to go back online by the end of the weekend," hah.

I was able to get to floor 30 on one life first with the splatling, but got knocked off the map in the last phase of the fight. The weapon I actually ended up getting my first clear with was brella, of all things. It was so satisfying to finally do it though, and the 'bonus' phase at the end of the fight where you collect all the chips again, and the music playing, aaaaaaaa just everything was so good and I was so emotional, all the struggles were definitely worth it.

Afterwards I gave myself permission to unlock those extra lives and just blitzed through with the rest of the weapons (roller gave me the WORST time but I think I just got unlucky with my chips, Charger on the other hand felt like I was literally cheating). I kept all my hacks on for eight's palette and just dealt with having very few chips and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. From there I farmed up enough prlz to unlock the remaining hacks and buy all the items from cipher, which didn't take very long at all-- I found out doing 'monotone' runs net you SO MANY PRLZ I sincerely think it's on par if not faster than the 3x-bonus hackless runs. Plus it's just super fun. I haven't tried every color yet I've done all-luck and all-drone runs and both had me feeling godlike by around floor 20+.

Anyway, now the task that remains is to finish out unlocking all the bits of text on the color chips, which is proving mildly annoying just because some weapon-specific chips totally refuse to show up often enough to collect them all in a run, no matter how many times I re-roll. Glaring at you, Extra Dodge Roll. I thought maybe turning off bias would get me better odds since it's a mobility chip and Pearl's palette doesn't have that bias, but it felt like my odds got even worse when I did that. so maybe the weapon-specific chips use a different calculation, or maybe my luck is just bad.

I figure after I unlock all of those though, then I'll go ahead and start attempting those low/no hack runs. I do want to get that Low-Hacks Eight's Palette badge at some point, at the very least.

I'm a little (lightheartedly) overwhelmed that we're getting the new season in a couple days and I don't feel ready to move on from Side Order yet and my brain has a difficult time switching focuses! Also I need to one-star all the order-replica weapons! I might even get them higher just because it would be cool to have their stickers.

Anyway, enough rambling; Here's a question: do yall think it's potentially rude to play octo shot in multiplayer right now? Is that potentially spoilering folks? Or is it minor enough that you wouldn't consider it an issue? I remember there was some concern at the beginning of splat3 that some people were getting spoilered on the story mode by seeing others with the grizz badge.

Cephalobro

Anyway, enough rambling; Here's a question: do yall think it's potentially rude to play octo shot in multiplayer right now? Is that potentially spoilering folks? Or is it minor enough that you wouldn't consider it an issue? I remember there was some concern at the beginning of splat3 that some people were getting spoilered on the story mode by seeing others with the grizz badge.
Well, it depends how long it would take people to get the Octo Shot Replica unlocked, although, there will inevitably be more and more people using the Octo Shot Replica in online matches as more players clear Side Order with the Octo Shot. I don't think that's a direct spoiler persay, more like an indirect "How do I get that weapon?" spoiler.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I think everyone was expecting Octo Shot to be a thing anyway.

Hikarimoon

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
One thing I really like about side order is what happens to order itself after defeating it informs the first time. LIKE, OH MY GOD. SMOLLUSK IS.SO.FREAKEN.CUTTTTTEEEEE

Eel-Ectric

Inkling
Pronouns
she/he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0840-7727-8401
Not sure if this has been asked in the thread already, but what are y'all's thoughts on Smollusk/Order being the antagonist and not Marina? I was a wee disappointed at first, but Smollusk starting to show its personality over time and having funny interactions with the characters makes up for it. Marina being an opposing force for a bit longer would have been interesting, though, if they started to delve into all the angst that could come from that >:)

Hikarimoon

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Not sure if this has been asked in the thread already, but what are y'all's thoughts on Smollusk/Order being the antagonist and not Marina? I was a wee disappointed at first, but Smollusk starting to show its personality over time and having funny interactions with the characters makes up for it. Marina being an opposing force for a bit longer would have been interesting, though, if they started to delve into all the angst that could come from that >:)
Nah, I think its fine

Cephalobro

So, I have been thinking on what Smollusk is, and the theory about the AI.

I believe that Smollusk was programmed to look and talk like a baby Octoling, possibly to give any Sanitized Octarians and Octolings a sense of security. But just like Commander Tartar, Smollusk went rogue. But unlike Commander Tartar, Smollusk was programmed not to harbor hatred.

I have a headcanon that Smollusk is actually a reincarnated Commander Tartar, having a second chance to co-exist with the new inhabitants of the world rather than wiping them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom