• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The ranked battle system is Stupid.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
Seems to work fine for me. You get twice as much for a win as a loss. Yea, you might get crappy teams, but those who are at the higher ranks tend to be able to be enough of a difference maker to not really be confined to the lower ranks.

To me, most who complain about getting stuck in the C ranks and never getting out of it for this long (it's been over a week now), either doesn't play that much, or aren't as good as they may think they are. You may get stuck with a few unlucky losses due to team makeup, but at such a low rank, you shouldn't have too much of an issue getting out of the Cs.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It's definitely completely luck. I don't bother with it unless I need coins fast.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
Well, that is the ranked system right now. Those who are in the A+ rank aren't there because of luck, so while you might get some tough breaks with teams, if you were really as good as you think, you would have gotten out of that area by now (at least if you were actively playing ranked anyways). If not, perhaps you need a bit more practice. Nothing wrong with that, as not everyone is the best, and remember, everyone loses at some point. Use that motivation to improve yourself. Everyone's in the same boat, as it's not a "1v1" game, and you take the good with the bad. If you find yourself on the "bad" team 9 times out of 10, well then maybe you aren't as good as you may think, and perhaps need to improve yourself and learn how to read opponents and teammates a bit better to become a better team player. As frustrating as it may be, take a look at your own strategies. Learn counters. Learn better paths. Perhaps improve your ability to dodge using the ink.

Personally, I like the random teams. In most games, I hate it when I'm stuck against premades if I solo queue, so when they do add them, I hope that it's a separate ranked mode.

Last edited:

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Well, that is the ranked system right now. Those who are in the A+ rank aren't there because of luck, so while you might get some tough breaks with teams, if you were really as good as you think, you would have gotten out of that area by now (at least if you were actively playing ranked anyways). If not, perhaps you need a bit more practice. Nothing wrong with that, as not everyone is the best, and remember, everyone loses at some point. Use that motivation to improve yourself. Everyone's in the same boat, as it's not a "1v1" game, and you take the good with the bad. If you find yourself on the "bad" team 9 times out of 10, well then maybe you aren't as good as you may think, and perhaps need to improve yourself and learn how to read opponents and teammates a bit better to become a better team player. As frustrating as it may be, take a look at your own strategies. Learn counters. Learn better paths. Perhaps improve your ability to dodge using the ink.

Personally, I like the random teams. In most games, I hate it when I'm stuck against premades if I solo queue, so when they do add them, I hope that it's a separate ranked mode.
You could be the best splatoon player ever and never get out of C- rank. In most cases one person makes all the difference, but those are rare in splatoon. As they say 'It takes two.'
Sure everyone is gonna think they're more skilled than they are, but when teams are random, which means that 'bad' players or the better termed 'not as experienced' players all end up on the same team then you can't keep blaming yourself. One person by them self can't take out 4 people(well they can, but those are rare occurrences and I mean your weapon vs the four of them at once, not subs/specials.) 1v3 is almost as unlikely, but 2v4 and 2v3 is a lot easier. The point I'm getting at is that if your team doesn't group up/support each other, then winning will be improbable. There is too many 'I'M GONNA BE AN OP LONE WOLF' s in this game.

I'm sitting at B- almost to B (was once upon a time at B rank one win away from B+) again and I main the .52 gal (splash wall is the best wall). I try to support/group up a ton to help my teammates. But all they ever want to do is run off on their own/'let's split up guys, what could possibly go wrong?' so I end up double or triple teamed to death. Which kudos to the enemy because the wall isn't something you want to face 1v1. The only time I don't try to group up is when I try to keep the enemy out of the zone/general area by using the wall in choke points. Oh and in double zoned splat zones like black belly I usually try to take the zone on their side because the wall is so great for keeping them out/away from it.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Adding on to what SkyBlue said, there have been several instances were I've splatted every single one of the entire team myself because my team wasn't helping, probably charging their specials instead of defending the zone, but my efforts go to waste because the other team already respawned and came back in full force: with my team naturally nowhere to be found.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
I´ve been bouncing between B- and B+ for the last weeks, some times I get bad performances, others good ones, but overall I always have a good K/D ratio and help the team. But it doesn´t matter. Yesterday I was clearly on a roll, being the one with the most kills and less deaths in both teams for several matches (with some really good results) and still my team only won roughly 50% of them. I use a charger so it´s hard for me to paint the splat zone (except in places like Port Mackerel), but I always focus on providing support by protecting teammates, creating clean routes for them to the splatzone and such. But if not one of my teammates uses these resources and inks the zone I´ll still get a loss. It´s very frustrating realizing your rank only has gone up 6 points after playing for an hour with good performances.

Voice chat wouldn´t help either, I wonder how many japanese guys would be willing or able to communicate in english.

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
The communication will work out when they gonna let us squad up with others.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
You could be the best splatoon player ever and never get out of C- rank.
It's statistically improbable for it to take that long, and 'never' is truly impossible. You'd have to be below a 33% win rate to be stuck in C-, over many many games that's incredibly unlikely since even pure randomness would trend towards 50%. The longer you play, the more astronomically improbable it is that you could stay below 33%.

And you really underestimate how much of a difference your own ability to carry can make. Having bad teammates often applies just as much to them as it does to you, and many times matches can come down to just the best player on each team and who can carry better. Also consider that you have 4 opponents but just 3 teammates besides yourself. If you're the best player in the room next to a bunch of average players on both sides, you have the advantage. And the worst player in the room has a 4/7 chance of being on the opposing team. The random matchmaking is more likely to favor you than it is to hurt you.

Sometimes luck will deal you a bad hand, but in the long run the law of averages will win out. Forget about individual games and think long term statistics and probability.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Well, is it confirmed that we will be able to enter the normal ranked mode as it is now with selected friends? I'd suppose the mode will be isolated from the public lobbies, as it would be possible to group together the full range from A to C, thus making rooms very unbalanced. If it actually is possible, though, ranking up to A+ shouldn't be a big deal at all any longer, since organized teams (i.e. clans) will take at least 90% of the matches against random players with ease...

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
Just forget about the kills and focus on finding good holds and watching flanks. It's how I avoid big losing streaks. I don't think I've ever dipped below 50 points.

Think quickly, don't let your team get to you, and you'll do fine. There'll be times where one person can't pull the win, but pay more attention to win rates than how one match goes.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
It's statistically improbable for it to take that long, and 'never' is truly impossible. You'd have to be below a 33% win rate to be stuck in C-, over many many games that's incredibly unlikely since even pure randomness would trend towards 50%. The longer you play, the more astronomically improbable it is that you could stay below 33%.

And you really underestimate how much of a difference your own ability to carry can make. Having bad teammates often applies just as much to them as it does to you, and many times matches can come down to just the best player on each team and who can carry better. Also consider that you have 4 opponents but just 3 teammates besides yourself. If you're the best player in the room next to a bunch of average players on both sides, you have the advantage. And the worst player in the room has a 4/7 chance of being on the opposing team. The random matchmaking is more likely to favor you than it is to hurt you.

Sometimes luck will deal you a bad hand, but in the long run the law of averages will win out. Forget about individual games and think long term statistics and probability.
That's exactly what I was going to say in response. If you really were "the best ever", you would most certainly be out of the C range. It's impossible to get a bad team every damn time. You take the losses, but chances are you WILL have, as you guys call, "good teammates". End of story.

People need to drop their egos a bit and realize that while yea, you might get stuck in low ranks due to poor teams, if you are still in there at this point (and have been playing consistently), then you aren't nearly as good as you think. It is a team game. You can't win when you try to solo everything. If your own abilities are good, but you still find yourself in the low ranks, then your teamwork might need to improve. You might think you are helping, but obviously, if it's not working that game, perhaps adjust your own strategy. The blindness when it comes to people seeing their own flaws is always fun to watch.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I'm currently struggling to keep A- rank and I must say that it is due entirely to me just beeing a poor player. I'm in a funk and can't avoid dying to save my life. I even stay intentionally out of the area of death, tossing bombs into the zone whenever I can and still get inked from behind. My aim is absolutely horrendous (even when I'm feeling superb) and I am honestly surprised I even got to A rank at one point haha.

May be the maps too... Can't win a damn game on Kelp Dome lol.

Friendly Face-Off

Full Squid
NNID
taikolover-desu
I wish we could play Splat Zones without it being ranked.. for one, I'd love to be able to play it with my friends. The points system adds a layer of stress I don't really enjoy too much especially when my team decides to be terrible.
Couldn't have been said better (y)

The stress of climbing from something like A to A+ combined with horrible teams who make scores worse make the mode bad for one thing. But where is my ranked Turf Wars?! >.<

jafanz

Inkling
NNID
jafanz
My opinion on the ranked system is that it's far from perfect but for those that are complaining that it is broken should be re-evaluating their own skills.

Yes, you can be matched up with a team that aren't so great skill wise or even a team that just has a bad composition of weapons but I've always been of the opinion that you will be the rank that you deserve to be in.

I managed to get to A+ rank about a week ago using the splattershot jr and after reaching A+ decided I wanted to try out being a sniper which I'll be the first to admit wasn't a good idea as I eventually dropped down to A- 70.

Went back to using the Splatershot Jr last night and got back up to A+ 30 (will be going for A+99 before playing around with other guns/ tactics)

Some suggestions I kinda wish Nintendo would implement apart from the party system is that before a match starts having the ability to see what weapons your own team is using and being able to change guns in a 10 second countdown. That way you could hopefully avoid a team of 4 chargers/ rollers etc

Infinity343018

Senior Squid
I don't know if anyone else said it already but I played 8 matches of Ranked today and there was one person who kept killing me. HE WAS ON THE OPPOSITE TEAM 7 OUT OF 8 OF THOSE MATCHES. There was also one point a little while ago where the teams were literally the same. I recognized everyone who was on my team from before. According to the Direct, it shuffles them randomly each time. But in game I'm very highly doubting that.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
I don't know if anyone else said it already but I played 8 matches of Ranked today and there was one person who kept killing me. HE WAS ON THE OPPOSITE TEAM 7 OUT OF 8 OF THOSE MATCHES. There was also one point a little while ago where the teams were literally the same. I recognized everyone who was on my team from before. According to the Direct, it shuffles them randomly each time. But in game I'm very highly doubting that.
Yeah, no way the direct's true on that. I kinda suggest leaving the lobby after a few matches so that your opponents don't get the chance to learn how to beat ya.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Teams are only shuffled in unranked, not in ranked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom