• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The ranked battle system is Stupid.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Teams are only shuffled in unranked, not in ranked.
What?! For real dude? How does that even work? There's people coming and going all the time. So that one dude who's always on the opposing team will always be there? I don't think that's the case...

I remmeber a time specifically when there this really annoying guy with a blaster on the opposing team for a few matches and then he switched over to my team. I was relieved because he wasn't freaking killing me the whole match.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
What?! For real dude? How does that even work? There's people coming and going all the time. So that one dude who's always on the opposing team will always be there? I don't think that's the case...

I remmeber a time specifically when there this really annoying guy with a blaster on the opposing team for a few matches and then he switched over to my team. I was relieved because he wasn't freaking killing me the whole match.
Yeah I think this too, I pay special attention to snipers and they are always switching teams: one match they are in my team, then next one they are the enemy, then 2 matches in my team, etc...It´s great when you face a powerful guy and the next match he´s in your team and you can wreck **** together :)

CrazyDude

Pro Squid
The only reason why I would continue playing ranked is for the huge amount of money you get if you win...well,that's the problem. IF!

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL

Yeah I think this too, I pay special attention to snipers and they are always switching teams: one match they are in my team, then next one they are the enemy, then 2 matches in my team, etc...It´s great when you face a powerful guy and the next match he´s in your team and you can wreck **** together :)
I have taken notes on that, and i have come to the conclusion that many team members seems to stay on your team whatsoever during ranked, but i do know that teams are being swapped around when members are dropped, i cannot make it out if any of the winning teams members drops out, the longest staying on the losers team will drop into the currently winning team or the opposite of the winning teams longest staying member drops to the losing team.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
The blindness when it comes to people seeing their own flaws is always fun to watch.
That's something which bothers me. In this game I get almost no input how to improve my game. In Mario Kart - which I played competitively a lot - there are time trials and WR ghosts which show you the best strategies on every track. Then you could improve your lines steadily with immediate response whether you did well or not (times). In Splatoon however is no comparable way to simply practice the game.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
If you are a good player, you will get to A+ despite the issues with random teams. Simple as that.

If you were "the best player ever" you wouldn't be in C-. In short, you have to put the time in, make smart decisions, have good movement, have a plan for every map that works, and have good death avoidance to make it to the top. If it was as easy as getting there in one sitting then the rank wouldn't mean much.

With that being said, not everyone is an A+ player. Yes, it can be frustrating getting beaten over and over. Sometimes the smartest thing to do is to NOT play. If you are getting stressed out, take a break! If you know you aren't good on one of the maps in rotation, take a break!

Know your strengths and use them to your advantage. Be smart, be active, and be observant.

P.S. I actually recognize a few names in here that I've seen in ranked, heh.

Gweb

Inkling
If people are so quick to blame their own team for their loss, they deserve whatever rank they are in. Just like how you're getting all the noobs on your team, the enemy team can also have noobs. A large portion of high rank players focus on evaluating and improving their own abilities, since it's the only controlling factor you have in every ranked game. If you consistently do well, you will rise. This is a common mentality for players of high rank in any game where the ranking system involves other players.

There are various factors that can contribute towards a win, with some factors more difficult to measure than others. For simplicity, I will be using ONE performance metric as an example to explain how it's not all luck. Looking at Kill to Death Ratio (KDR), if you're getting on average 1 kill per death (with some variance), you are in your rightful rank. Your ability to kill is similar to the other players in your rank, since for every kill you obtain, you also die. There will be the odd game where you go 20-0 and feel like a god, but consistency is key here. In this situation, you are likely to win 50% of the time, since your skill level is on par with the other players in your rank.

On the other spectrum, if you're consistently going 20-0 or some other high KDR, you're demonstrating that your ability is above the curve in your current rank. Your probability to win will increase and will be more likely to increase in rank. You can still do well and lose due to 'bad' teammates, but your ability to compensate for their lack of skill is higher than if you had a 1:1 KDR. Being able to compensate for a larger skill gap of your teammates will lead to winning more often.

TL;DR
-ranked aint all luck
-cry and stay small
-improve yourself, improve your rank
-if u good, u carry noob team
-carry noob team = win more

Cereal

Full Squid
NNID
Xyvone
I think I will forever be stuck in the C+/C rank

I've been so close to ranking up to B- numerous times but then I just end up on a losing streak which is frustrating. Ended up going from C+ 90 all the way down to C 20 But I rarely blame my own team unless for whatever reason I'm the only team member there at the beginning of the match, i get killed and the opposing side takes control for the whole game. I stopped using ink brush in ranked and switched to tentanek which is a great help, getting more kills and being killed less.

But most games end up being close anyway so I can't blame anyone. I prefer to blame myself instead of my team. If you constantly blame your team, you remain blind to your on flaws and fail to develop further since you're placing yourself on a high pedestal. I took a good hard look at the way I was playing, watched a few streams and I think its safe to say I've improved.

If people want to complain about bad teammates in ranked, they can just wait until the august update.

I couldn't care less about my rank right now I just want money tbh. I'm frustrated because I'm not winning money

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Yeah people don't want to admit that they aren't as good as other people and so we get issues like this all the time. The problem is never the individual, it is what's outside of the individual. That mindset leads to suffering; when you lose it causes frustration and when you win, it feels like you were the only one who mattered. Both of these ideas are toxic and terrible ways of thinking.

Next time you go into a match, understand that it's a game and you are sharing it with 7 other people. There are no winners or losers, even if the game says there are; that is an illusion. Harmonize with your team, understand your enemy and whether you win or lose you'll say "That was intense! I enjoyed that" Isn't that the goal?

Chaozrush21

Full Squid
NNID
dotmae
If you was a truly good player then you wouldn't blame your team every time you lose a match. You'll become completely unable to see your own flaws because of it. Learning about your own abilities and improving them is miles better than doing that. Yes some matches will be luck, but that only a small chance. If you're so good, then you should be able to carry your own team and win.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
If you can't party up with a squad and fight other squads, rank doesn't mean much at all. Sorry to the guys who are higher ranked, but it doesn't.

To those having frustrations, I wouldn't worry much about getting bad luck with teammates and such. It's good to know that once you get to a certain rank, it seems much easier to stay there than it is to climb there. So just be patient and let yourself naturally improve and climb.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
If you can't party up with a squad and fight other squads, rank doesn't mean much at all. Sorry to the guys who are higher ranked, but it doesn't.

To those having frustrations, I wouldn't worry much about getting bad luck with teammates and such. It's good to know that once you get to a certain rank, it seems much easier to stay there than it is to climb there. So just be patient and let yourself naturally improve and climb.
Of course it means something. . .it means you put in the effort to make it to the top despite NOT having a solid team to rely on.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Honestly what everyone needs to do is stop complaining about teammates(however hard that might be) and work with them more. This is team based game, so you have to work as one. No team can win without synchronizing their efforts. I've been in A- forever but I also learned to work with my team and now I'm edging closer to A+. I also recommend using weapons with specials which allow you retake the zones(if you're doing splat zones) such as inkstrike and bomb rush. Also, focus on killing the other team's players as much as possible since the downtime between your kill and their respawn will give you time to ink the zone and retake it.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Of course it means something. . .it means you put in the effort to make it to the top despite NOT having a solid team to rely on.
True, but compared to party teams that doesn't mean much.

This is a team game, so actual high level play is about two organized teams working together as one, communicating, etc against another organized body. Pub stomping isn't that.

Honestly what everyone needs to do is stop complaining about teammates(however hard that might be) and work with them more. This is team based game, so you have to work as one. No team can win without synchronizing their efforts. I've been in A- forever but I also learned to work with my team and now I'm edging closer to A+. I also recommend using weapons with specials which allow you retake the zones(if you're doing splat zones) such as inkstrike and bomb rush. Also, focus on killing the other team's players as much as possible since the downtime between your kill and their respawn will give you time to ink the zone and retake it.
This is something I have trouble doing because I keep forgetting to look down at my gamepad to see the map.

Last edited:

vsock

Inkling
NNID
sockchan
The shuffle is random. Sometimes you just get weird odds, it happens.

My experience in ranked is the same of ranked modes in every other game I've played. It is not always your team's fault. Sometimes they screw you 6 ways to Sunday, but rarely. Most of the time you are the deciding factor in your matches. Especially in Splatoon, where you only have to watch out for 4 other people for a short time. Not so bad when you think about it. Instead of getting salty, pay attention. If your team mates are throwing bodies at the other team in a fit of salty rage, back them up! The enemy usually bottlenecks them all in the same spot, giving you a chance to swoop in from behind. Learn from your enemy's achievements, and your team's mistakes. I picked up a couple of handy charger tricks from dying to a more skilled player over and over again.

A few things that helped me:
  • As cool as it feels to be a one-man army, try to defend your area until enough of your team is alive at the same time to push forward. I cannot tell you how many games I lost at first because I didn't realize we were feeding into the enemy's line of fire one squid at a time.
  • Do not jump into the middle of a capture-point
  • Do not jump into the middle of a capture-point
  • If teammates wanna fill their meter, make sure you're at the point of impact when their special is ready. Ink strikes are great for securing an offensive position. Swim under them and shoot the opposing squids in the bum when they try to escape!
  • If you're on a losing streak, put the game down. Just do it.
  • Git gud
Not saying ranked doesn't have it's flaws, I just see a lot of similar complaints that plague competitive games in general.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Of course, team matchmaking will likely provide more of a meaningful challenge since both squads will be like-minded in their competitiveness.

That doesn't mean that solo rank is something to scoff at, though.
^^Edited my post as you were replying.

My comments were intended as defense of the players getting told that they don't deserve A-rank, not to take away form people who do have A-rank, sorry that I worded it badly. There are people who are going to do well with a team they are used to playing with, but badly against strangers they are going to clash with, who will let them down, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom