• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The TOP 5 ANYTHING Thread

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Hi! My attempt at a fun thread to rank your top 5 favorite anything!

Make a top five of your choice (or more). Feel free to respond to others' top 5s with your own top 5 of that subject, provide reasons if you wish, or don't. I'll start with a few.

TOP 5 WII U GAMES
-Splatoon
-Hyrule Warriors
-Bayonetta 2
-Super Mario 3D World
-Sm4sh

TOP 5 DISNEY MOVIES (excluding Pixar)
-Lion King
-Wreck-It Ralph
-Tangled
-Aladdin
-The Little Mermaid

TOP 5 ZELDA GAMES
-Wind Waker
-Ocarina of Time
-A Link to the Past
-Skyward Sword
-Majora's Mask

TOP 5 FAV POKEMON
-Jirachi
-Jolteon
-Inkay
-Volcarona
-Lugia

Okay I'll give it a rest for now :D happy ranking!

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Top 5 Zelda Games:
-Majoras Mask
-Wind Waker
-Oracle of Ages
-Oracle of Seasons
-Minish Cap

(My list is so different from anyone else's top Zelda games list)

Top 5 Games:
-Majoras Mask
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Banjo-Tooie
-Splatoon
-Super Mario Sunshine
(-Wind Waker then -Mario 64 are next I feel bad for needing to exclude these)

Top 5 Scary Things:
-Bees in General
-Carpenter Bees
-Honey Bees
-Bumblebees
-Wasps

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Top 5 Zelda Games:
-Majoras Mask
-Wind Waker
-Oracle of Ages
-Oracle of Seasons
-Minish Cap

(My list is so different from anyone else's top Zelda games list)
Yeah, it is! Both Oracles, lol! I enjoyed them, and I appreciated the change of setting they offered, but they certainly are odd choices for best five. But thats really cool that you think so! As for Minish Cap, I admittedly never finished it. (Minish, Phantom Hourglass and Zelda II are the only ones I've never completed, and Spirit Tracks is the only one I've never played).

The Zelda series really could use another game like Majora though. Dark, psychological, and harder than anyone expected it to be. I feel in some ways Twilight tried to channel some of the creepiness but it didn't really work the same way. The effect that Majora had is difficult to replicate, with the looming moon, constant pressure of the clock, coupled with the eerily vague setting which you were helplessly subjected to. Twilight stuck to conventions of an outside threat and invaders in a peaceful kingdom. Termina was a ****ed up, backwards world straight from the outset. Like being trapped in a nightmare.

Top 5 Games:
-Majoras Mask
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Banjo-Tooie
-Splatoon
-Super Mario Sunshine
Sunshine above SM64???? FOR WHY???? DDDDD:
Top five games ever will be difficult for me... but I will take a stab.

-Kirby Super Star
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
-Pokemon G/S
-Splatoon?????
(runners up for Mario Kart Wii, Wind Waker, Yoshi's Island, Banjo Tooie...........)

Top 5 Scary Things:
-Bees in General
-Carpenter Bees
-Honey Bees
-Bumblebees
-Wasps
How about.... birdiebees????? (kill me please)

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Sunshine above SM64???? FOR WHY???? DDDDD:
Top five games ever will be difficult for me... but I will take a stab.

-Kirby Super Star
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
-Pokemon G/S
-Splatoon?????
(runners up for Mario Kart Wii, Wind Waker, Yoshi's Island, Banjo Tooie...........)
I just like Sunshine a little more, and most of the stars in Mario 64 can be gotten within a minute, so it's really short. Also, the red coin missions in Sunshine were actually fun (Red Coins of Windmill Village and Red Coins of the Pirate Ships are some of the best missions in the game) while the red coins in Mario Sunshine were very spread out and boring to collect (especially boring in Hazy Maze Cave, which is otherwise one of my favorite levels in SM64). SM64 also had some stars that I don't even know how I found on my first play through because of the way they're hidden. The best example of this is the level on the small/big mountain where you have to find 5 secrets that are just scattered around and you have no idea where they are. And then that same level also has you needing to go into the small mountain and smash the top to get to the boss fight. And, since I just mentioned boss fights, the boss fights are way better in Mario Sunshine than in Mario 64. The music in SMS is better too. I still love Super Mario 64, even though SMS is slightly better, SM64 is still an amazing, fun game! I wish Nintendo would make more Mario games in the style of 64/Sunshine (The way that they have one level with many different shines in it, instead of it being really linear).

How about.... birdiebees????? (kill me please)
I'm really scared of bees (Just incase my post didn't inform you of that well enough)

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I just like Sunshine a little more, and most of the stars in Mario 64 can be gotten within a minute, so it's really short. Also, the red coin missions in Sunshine were actually fun (Red Coins of Windmill Village and Red Coins of the Pirate Ships are some of the best missions in the game) while the red coins in Mario Sunshine were very spread out and boring to collect (especially boring in Hazy Maze Cave, which is otherwise one of my favorite levels in SM64). SM64 also had some stars that I don't even know how I found on my first play through because of the way they're hidden. The best example of this is the level on the small/big mountain where you have to find 5 secrets that are just scattered around and you have no idea where they are. And then that same level also has you needing to go into the small mountain and smash the top to get to the boss fight. And, since I just mentioned boss fights, the boss fights are way better in Mario Sunshine than in Mario 64. The music in SMS is better too. I still love Super Mario 64, even though SMS is slightly better, SM64 is still an amazing, fun game! I wish Nintendo would make more Mario games in the style of 64/Sunshine (The way that they have one level with many different shines in it, instead of it being really linear)
Those are some of the best defenses I've seen of SMS. I do owe it a full revisiting, but I found it significantly more tedious and less interesting simultaneously than SM64. Have you not played/do you not like Galaxy? Its definitely in the vein of 64 and Sunshine. Levels with multiple objectives and all. I think its better than both 64 and Sunshine, and probably the best platforming game ever made. It takes the best elements of both games and makes them better. Best bosses, stage design, aesthetic appearance/themes, gameplay mechanics, powerups, everything. Castle stages in particular are really grand-scale as they ought to be, which is what is most disappointing to me in SMS--the awkwardly anticlimactic final stage and boss fight.

On that note,
my Top 5 Mario Games
-Super Mario Galaxy (including 2 because they're basically.. the same?)
-Yoshi's Island
-Super Mario World
-Super Mario Bros 3
-Super Mario 3D World / Super Mario 64 (kinda tied)

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Uhhh lets see
top 5 wii u games
splatoon
Mk8
Bayonetta 2
Bayonetta 1
Smash

TOP 5 DISNEY MOVIES (excluding Pixar)
Frozen..
(All I can think of right now (late, sleepy) since I got the English and Japanese blue ray...)

TOP 5 ZELDA GAMES
Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Don't really know any others, Ill say this though readying the other lists:
"A Link to the Past"
THAT IS PUNNY!!!! how many funs can you fit in a title?!?!?!?!?!?

5 top nendoroids
Sakura miku 500
Madoka magica (174)
Nendoroid Menma (anohana, 204)
Squid girl (237) my squid girl amiibo does not work T^T
card captor sakura

Top 5 things I hate
misusing the word literal
People that live in the US splatting me with their crappy net.
sub number 2 thing that things i hate:

the fact this is 57% better of all usa connections, a test from 6300 miles away, off an ether>usb slowing my net down =.=
backstabbing me
betraying my trust
being a hypocrite

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Those are some of the best defenses I've seen of SMS. I do owe it a full revisiting, but I found it significantly more tedious and less interesting simultaneously than SM64. Have you not played/do you not like Galaxy? Its definitely in the vein of 64 and Sunshine. Levels with multiple objectives and all. I think its better than both 64 and Sunshine, and probably the best platforming game ever made. It takes the best elements of both games and makes them better. Best bosses, stage design, aesthetic appearance/themes, gameplay mechanics, powerups, everything. Castle stages in particular are really grand-scale as they ought to be, which is what is most disappointing to me in SMS--the awkwardly anticlimactic final stage and boss fight.

On that note,
my Top 5 Mario Games
-Super Mario Galaxy (including 2 because they're basically.. the same?)
-Yoshi's Island
-Super Mario World
-Super Mario Bros 3
-Super Mario 3D World / Super Mario 64 (kinda tied)
I've played Galaxy, I'm not really sure why I don't like the galaxy games as much as other people. Galaxy is easier, and none of the levels really stood out to me. The levels are still linear in galaxy, and the different stars in the same galaxies don't just feel like open levels like in SMS, since you always are forced into a different path depending on whatever star you chose, except for the secret stars. The graphics in Galaxy were obviously better but how a games graphics aren't really that important to me (unless they are so bad that you can't even tell what's going on). This next thing doesn't really take away from how fun Galaxy is since it's not that important, but it sucks how you have to do every level twice to get the final star in 1, and you have to grind star bits to get every star in 2. And in 2, the final level is a crazy difficulty spike. All the levels are really easy until the 121st star, which took me many tries to get. Although, I guess you could say the blue coins in SMS are a pain to get if you are 100%ing it. I enjoyed the blue coins though, since they let you explore the levels more, even though some of them are nearly impossible to find and you are basically forced to use a guide. I think most of the reason I didn't like galaxy as much as the first 2 3d mario games is because it felt like Mario moved really slow. In the first 2 you can slide all around the levels quickly and do really cool tricks just for fun, but in galaxy, you can't really do any of that, since mario's moves are so limited. All you do is go forward in the level, and there isn't much to explore, and while some levels were really fun, many of them felt boring to me. The main worlds in galaxy weren't that good either, especially the face ship, which was pretty much just a boring sphere, while Delfino plaza was a really fun level to move around in, and had some fun secret shines (even though the one where you have to wait on the boats with yoshi for 3 years to get to it sucks, good thing I learned a glitch to easily walk under the sea with yoshi :p). The one thing I definitely agree with you on is the castle levels, which are the best ones in Galaxy, and how the final boss in Sunshine was bad. The level involves going across a super sensitive boat over lava, which isn't very fun at all, and the final boss is so easy, and he only even takes like, one minute to beat. I find it kinda funny how FLUDD acts really tired in his text boxes during the bowser fight, as if Mario was actually having trouble fighting him. I've played through both galaxy's twice but I've played both SM64 and SMS many times, since I just find them way better than the galaxy games.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Interesting stances. I felt that SMG was challenging where it needed to be and that the difficulty was more balanced where many of SMS/64's challenges were more frustrating (exceptions being Fluzzard in SMG2 and the bunny catch and trash bombing games in SMG1 all of which just suck lol). Its very odd to me that you felt Mario was more stiff/slow in SMG, because I think the controls and movement of Mario were the most fluid and flexible they've ever been. And I think SMS definitely had more "open" stages than either 64 or Galaxy, which I personally disliked but you seem to enjoy so thats just a matter of taste, but I don't think that SMG had purely linear stages. They had a mix of gimmick galaxies (Fluzzard, rock mario, moving stages), linear obstacle course (Dreadnaught Galaxy, many others) and SM64-esque open stages (the one with the Queen Bee, Fire and Ice Galaxy notable examples). I think the latter very closely resemble the design of many SM64 stages in which they are open in a sense but there is a defined path for you to follow. Sure, I suppose it makes it a tad more obvious in SMG, but the objectives are often the same as those in SM64.

And SMG2's Grandmaster Galaxy is certifiably one of the most beautiful Mario stages ever designed in my opinion. A challenge I wish that Mario games more frequently attempted. 3D World's final stage is to a slightly lesser degree, as well.

In any case I guess it comes down to personal tastes as they each provide a different take on a similar formula. I just think SMG is the most refined and well-executed of the three. Now what did I do with my copy of Sunshine...

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
My Top 5 Favorite Pokemon list would be something like...

Turtwig
Pelipper
Snivy
Seedot
Jolteon

Of course, that list changes daily. Except for Turtwig will always be on top.

My Top 5 Favorite Anime list (atm):

Toradora!
Kokoro Connect
Soul Eater
Sword Art Online
Nichijou

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Top 5 Games:
-Majoras Mask
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Banjo-Tooie
-Splatoon
-Super Mario Sunshine
Just realized I forgot paper mario and the thousand year door somehow. whoops. It wouldn't be top 5 but definitely in 3 things behind top 5 with the other 2.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Top 5 Sonic Games
-Sonic Adventure 2
-Sonic Adventure
-Sonic CD
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2
-Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Top 5 levels in Mario Sunshine
-Delfino Plaza
-Bianco Hills
-Pinna Park
-Noki Bay
-Ricco Harbor

Top 5 levels in SM64
-Whomp's Fortress
-Tick-Tock Clock
-Hazy Maze Cave (I'm pretty much the only person who actually likes this one...)
-Lethal Lava Land
-Shifting Sand Land

Top 5 levels in Banjo-Kazooie
-Click-Clock Wood
-Rusty Bucket Bay
-Treasure Trove Cove
-Bubblegloop Swamp
-Gobi's Valley

Top 5 levels in Banjo-Toole
-Hailfire Peaks
-Grunty Industries
-Witchyworld
-Cloud Cuckooland
-Terrydactyland

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Top 5 3D Zelda games
-Majoras Mask
-Wind Waker
-Twilight Princess
-Skyward Sword
-Ocarina of Time

Hix

Inkling
NNID
greensand
Top 5 Special Weapons:
1. Kraken
2. Bubbler
3. Killer Wail
4. Inkstrike
5. Bomb Rush

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
My Top 5 Jojo Bizarre Adventure Parts:
1. Steel Ball Run
2. Golden Wing
3. Jojolion
4. Stardust Crusaders
5. Stone Ocean

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Top 5 Special Weapons:
1. Kraken
2. Bubbler
3. Killer Wail
4. Inkstrike
5. Bomb Rush
nice! here's mine:
1. Bubbler
2. Echo-locator (odd i know haha)
3. Kraken
4. Bomb Rush
5. Inkstrike

Killer wail never did it for me. I'm still learning how to use it effectively xD

My Top 5 Jojo Bizarre Adventure Parts:
1. Steel Ball Run
2. Golden Wing
3. Jojolion
4. Stardust Crusaders
5. Stone Ocean
!!!! Nice! A jojo fan in the house. Here's mine (though bear in mind I have not finish 7 or read 8, so I will omit them)

1. Stone Ocean
2. Battle Tendency
3. Stardust Crusaders
4. Vento Aureo
5. Diamond IS NOT CRASH LOL

sorry part 1 still love you tho

I know a lot of people stay Steel Ball is the best, and I'm enjoying it so far. I really should finish it because I havent touched it in awhile. However, I loved how dark Stone Ocean was:
the end was not really a "good guys save the day" story. to me it seemed really bleak and had a really sobering effect. that all the efforts of humanity are really futile is the scope of time. it was truly strange how the final battle kind of blurred into the rapid decay of humanity, and eventually the universe. and then poor little Emporio, who had the saddest fate of all in my opinion. Being thrust into an alternate course of history and meeting similar-but-different versions of his best friends. Just creepy and bleak to me. It was so different.

Top 5 Anime Villains:
1. Doflamingo (One Piece)
2. Pain (Naruto)
3. Frieza (DBZ obv)
4. DIO (Jojo)
5. Toguro (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
nice! here's mine:
1. Bubbler
2. Echo-locator (odd i know haha)
3. Kraken
4. Bomb Rush
5. Inkstrike

Killer wail never did it for me. I'm still learning how to use it effectively xD

!!!! Nice! A jojo fan in the house. Here's mine (though bear in mind I have not finish 7 or read 8, so I will omit them)

1. Stone Ocean
2. Battle Tendency
3. Stardust Crusaders
4. Vento Aureo
5. Diamond IS NOT CRASH LOL

sorry part 1 still love you tho

I know a lot of people stay Steel Ball is the best, and I'm enjoying it so far. I really should finish it because I havent touched it in awhile. However, I loved how dark Stone Ocean was:
the end was not really a "good guys save the day" story. to me it seemed really bleak and had a really sobering effect. that all the efforts of humanity are really futile is the scope of time. it was truly strange how the final battle kind of blurred into the rapid decay of humanity, and eventually the universe. and then poor little Emporio, who had the saddest fate of all in my opinion. Being thrust into an alternate course of history and meeting similar-but-different versions of his best friends. Just creepy and bleak to me. It was so different.

Top 5 Anime Villains:
1. Doflamingo (One Piece)
2. Pain (Naruto)
3. Frieza (DBZ obv)
4. DIO (Jojo)
5. Toguro (Yu Yu Hakusho)
I agree, and that's what created Steel Ball Run world. Made in Heaven was absurd enough for anyone to handle it I think this world was created because of all this mess. Stone Ocean happened in 2011 on the first timeline right? It will take time for him to appear wandering around another "era".

Have you seen Diamond is not Crash trailer? Think this anime's going to be released at next week.That's one of the parts I like less, it develops very slowly for a Jojo series, seems Morioh is something really important for the author. I can't see Rohan apart from Araki.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
My top 5 Stackable Abilities list (For Splatoon duh)

1: Swimming speed up
2: Bomb Range up (inb4 new brand that boosts bomb range up in update)
3: Special Charge up (pretty odd ey?)
4: Ink Saver Main
5: Quick Respawn

And my top 5 non-Stackable Abilites list (Also for splatoon)

1: Tenacity (wow nice buff)
2: Haunt
3: Ink Resistance up
4: Comeback
5: Ninja Squid

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I agree, and that's what created Steel Ball Run world. Made in Heaven was absurd enough for anyone to handle it I think this world was created because of all this mess. Stone Ocean happened in 2011 on the first timeline right? It will take time for him to appear wandering around another "era".

Have you seen Diamond is not Crash trailer? Think this anime's going to be released at next week.That's one of the parts I like less, it develops very slowly for a Jojo series, seems Morioh is something really important for the author. I can't see Rohan apart from Araki.
Just to get an idea of the timeline of the new universe, when is Jojolion set? Isn't it around the same time as Diamond in the old universe??

I've seen it! I know fans are often divided between "Diamond is slow paced" and "Diamond is the most brilliant part of them all" and I lean toward the former but I think the anime will make me appreciate it a lot more... especially considering I read the Duwang scans years ago and havent revisited it since (like 2009 or so...)
But yeah, I also think Diamond is Araki's personal fav, if only for Rohan's existence xD I'm very excited to see it animated. Didnt know it was coming out next week though!!

I used Special Charge a lot! I think its great. Nice list, heres mine:
1. Ink Recovery Up
2. Special Saver
3. Special Charge up
4. Swim Speed Up
5. Ink Saver Main

And the only non-stackable I use is Stealth Jump, or sometimes Last Ditch (since update) or Ink Resistance.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24

And my top 5 non-Stackable Abilites list (Also for splatoon)

1: Tenacity (wow nice buff)
2: Haunt
3: Ink Resistance up
4: Comeback
5: Ninja Squid
How do you have haunt and not cold blood? Haunt helps your team if you die, but cold blood helps you not die anyways! I don't like to use death-dependent perks.
My lists for those would probably be:
-Swim Speed
-Special Charge
-Run Speed
-Quick Super Jump
-Ink Recovery

-Ink Res
-Cold Blood
-Tenacity
-Stealth Jump
-Ninja Squid

(I don't even like the last two, since I really only use the first 3 unique abilities there, but I guess these would be my favorite of the other ones)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom