The Water Hazard

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ignoring the fact that these sea creatures can't swim

How do you feel about this hazard? Some stages has it be huge and everywhere like camp triggerfish. Others like Anowa mall have small sections of it.

Do you hope to see weapons that take advantage of water hazards like a knockback weapon? Any other interesting ways you can think of with water use?

Do you want to see more or less of it?

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Many competitive games lack hazards. However, I think Splatoon could make this mechanic interesting in competitive play. Water Hazards force players to move a specific way. While risky, these paths usually lead to higher ground, giving the player a slight advantage.

I'd like to see how these work out in high-level play.

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
looking at this from a glass half full perspective

i think it's great and kinda bring more importants on Map Control by being able to forcing the other team into bad spots

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Inkster Jr.
I think it adds a lot more strategy, It should definitely effect how people choose their loadouts and pick the stage they play on.

It does kinda hurt the viability of most Isle Delfino stages coming in as possible stage DLC, besides maybe Pinna Park...

Wait...

PINNA PARK
:scared::scared::scared:

Regiruler

Inkster Jr.
I don't think there would have been any notable gameplay improvements to be garnished by having swimming mechanics, so a hazard is fine.

Squid Kid

Inkling
Ever since I heard Inklings disintegrate in water I've has throwbacks to Frogger. This may be a little off topic, but since there's a small (very small) possibly of this, I'd love to see a throwback to Frogger in one of these water-centric levels.
A squid can only dream.

Aura

Infiltrator
Water is some scary ****. ;) #tentacruel

But anyways, I feel that in a game almost rounded around movement, this kind of hazard is only natural. Gotta set boundaries you know? As for viable use- ink roller users can use these spots as ambush opportunities maybe. I don't know- I'll have to look at it again.

RocketClauncher

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RocketClauncher
I really like the idea that water is a hazard. On pretty much every stage we have full freedom and can travel all around the ground and even on walls, so a stage like camp triggerfish that really features it is a nice change of pace!

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think a cool idea to help implement the water hazard is maybe an aquarium level or beach? Aquariums would have interesting layouts. Tanks would be open at the top where you can fall in.

Beach areas would have things like waves come in to wash up paint and get kills on Inklings.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I don't think it will be a huge issue. Competitive games can thrive with hazards, it's only situations like in Smash where they become intrusive and unplayable competitively.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I stated it before, but I think with Spaltoon's set up it'll be impossible to really have intrusive hazards due to how open the maps are usually. They would have to actually try to make this game unfun in order for it to be intrusive.

So I really don't expect water to be an issue. Especially when at it's current state, it really is more like a bottomless pit.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I stated it before, but I think with Spaltoon's set up it'll be impossible to really have intrusive hazards due to how open the maps are usually. They would have to actually try to make this game unfun in order for it to be intrusive.

So I really don't expect water to be an issue. Especially when at it's current state, it really is more like a bottomless pit.
Yeah, that makes sense. I really like the direction Splatoon is going with it's maps, honestly. I'm hoping there are more maps with hazards like this around, it would spice up the gameplay in my opinion. ^^

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
personally, im more interested in what this implies about what the inklings are. the fact that they dissolve like salt when they enter water seems to imply to me that they are some kind of ink-like substance come to life. (I know that ink is hydrophobic, so it wouldn't dissolve, I just couldn't think of a better way to word my thoughts)

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I would actually really enjoy a knockback weapon or two. Granted, not every stage has a water hazard so it might not be as fun to use on every single stage, but knockback could still be incredibly useful for Splat Zones. A knockback weapon could even end up being a really good counter to the Roller weapon. If you can push them away even slightly, you can seriously hinder their progress while under your fire.

I think the hazard itself is totally fine. It does mean you need to have some map awareness and if you're just blindly strafing, you might walk straight into your doom. The worst that could really end up happening on maps without this hazard is walking into a wall.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
I would actually really enjoy a knockback weapon or two. Granted, not every stage has a water hazard so it might not be as fun to use on every single stage, but knockback could still be incredibly useful for Splat Zones. A knockback weapon could even end up being a really good counter to the Roller weapon. If you can push them away even slightly, you can seriously hinder their progress while under your fire.

I think the hazard itself is totally fine. It does mean you need to have some map awareness and if you're just blindly strafing, you might walk straight into your doom. The worst that could really end up happening on maps without this hazard is walking into a wall.
The knockback weapon is actually pretty cool. I think actually hat the grenades should be a knockback weapon.
Also, the water hazard is just a new mechanic to have Players learn the map, just like the glass and he metal grids. It is all about map awareness.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
The knockback weapon is actually pretty cool. I think actually hat the grenades should be a knockback weapon.
Also, the water hazard is just a new mechanic to have Players learn the map, just like the glass and he metal grids. It is all about map awareness.
For sure! It'd just be great to have a good selection of weapons. However. With DLC being confirmed, I hope they don't go too overboard with the weapons. When a shooter starts amassing a large selection of weapons, many of them get thrown to the side because others in that field are simply better in every regard. I would prefer it if weapons were all down to personal preference. Perhaps their aim is to have every weapon counter a specific ine but also be countered by another. I think that would be neat because then it's likely that there won't be an overall best weapon.

More grenades would be neat though. Maybe one that is entirely knockback? It could blow wind out for a few seconds, deflecting all enemy ink as well as blowing people backwards. It probably wouldn't be as effective on the maps we currently know about, especially when the game is only 4-on-4, but it's an idea.

Protom

Pro Squid
The bridges on camp trigger fish could make for interesting choke points if the other team has no ink to super jump to on the other side.
And now I'm imagining a stealth mission where one has to sneak onto the other side and sabotage the enemy. Me likey :)

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
The bridges on camp trigger fish could make for interesting choke points if the other team has no ink to super jump to on the other side.
And now I'm imagining a stealth mission where one has to sneak onto the other side and sabotage the enemy. Me likey :)
That'd make for a pretty unique game mode if you ask me. Perhaps similar to an Attack/Defend mode, but more stealth.

Edit: Maybe the stealth team has to infiltrate a specific point and the defending team has to stop them from getting in there. Defending team has two or three entrances they need to guard. If the Attacking team gets in, they don't have long to deal with them before they lose. I'm not sure on the specifics, but it could be good. I guess that's losing a lot of the stealth aspect, but I'm sure there's a good mode hidden in there. :p

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
I like that idea too. be interesting for a sniper like I plan to be.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
For sure! It'd just be great to have a good selection of weapons. However. With DLC being confirmed, I hope they don't go too overboard with the weapons. When a shooter starts amassing a large selection of weapons, many of them get thrown to the side because others in that field are simply better in every regard. I would prefer it if weapons were all down to personal preference. Perhaps their aim is to have every weapon counter a specific ine but also be countered by another. I think that would be neat because then it's likely that there won't be an overall best weapon.

More grenades would be neat though. Maybe one that is entirely knockback? It could blow wind out for a few seconds, deflecting all enemy ink as well as blowing people backwards. It probably wouldn't be as effective on the maps we currently know about, especially when the game is only 4-on-4, but it's an idea.
yeah that would be cool. Maybe the windbox would just be a secondary part of the grenade, in which the primary ability spurts straight rows of ink in the cardinal directions or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom