The World's Dumbest Sprinkler Buff

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I'm not exactly sure how to start this thread.

If you've ever observed a sprinkler right after it's been placed, you'll notice something strange. While a sprinkler is in its high power mode, it leaves noticeable gaps between its ink splatters. This is because a sprinkler only fires in fifteen different directions during high power.

Firing once every 4 frames and rotating 33 degrees per frame, a high-power sprinkler fires one droplet for every 132 degrees of rotation. Factoring in that the two nozzles alternate which one is firing, the shots are actually fired 48 degrees apart from one another. There is 24 degrees of separation between where a sprinkler's shots land during high power. That's not insignificant.

So, my buff is to reduce a sprinkler's rotation speed during high power from 33 degrees per frame to 24 degrees per frame.
This increases the number of different directions the sprinkler will fire from 15 to 30, therefore reducing the separation between its shots from 24 to 12 degrees.

The math is pretty simple. The sprinkler rotates 96 degrees per shot, meaning its shots fire 84 degrees apart from one another.
It's a significant improvement, and I'd like to thank @youre_a_squib_now for figuring out a graph equation that made optimizing this rotation speed buff massively easier (the idea originally only buffed it to 18 different firing directions).

Thanks for reading this post. I hope that you found this mildly interesting.
Have a good day!

Last edited:

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
I am having a great day thank you very much

Okay for real this is the most specific buff of all time but sure why not

isaac4

Inkling Commander
I really like this buff actually. Sprinkler's main utility is to be a painting sub so having all these gaps around where it paints doesn't make any sense. This is just small change that wouldn't be a problem and still doesn't make it good either, just better at what it's already supposed to do.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I'm not exactly sure how to start this thread.

If you've ever observed a sprinkler right after it's been placed, you'll notice something strange. While a sprinkler is in its high power mode, it leaves noticeable gaps between its ink splatters. This is because a sprinkler only fires in fifteen different directions during high power.

Firing once every 4 frames and rotating 33 degrees per frame, a high-power sprinkler fires one droplet for every 132 degrees of rotation. Factoring in that the two nozzles alternate which one is firing, the shots are actually fired 48 degrees apart from one another. There is 24 degrees of separation between where a sprinkler's shots land during high power. That's not insignificant.

So, my buff is to reduce a sprinkler's rotation speed during high power from 33 degrees per frame to 20 degrees per frame.
This increases the number of different directions the sprinkler will fire from 15 to 18, therefore reducing the separation between its shots from 24 to 20 degrees.

The math is pretty simple. The sprinkler rotates 80 degrees per shot, meaning its shots fire 100 degrees apart from one another.
It's a small improvement, but the best I could come up with considering that the number of degrees per shot must be a multiple of four.

Thanks for reading this post. I hope that you found this mildly interesting.
Have a good day!
I can do better.

Changing the sprinkler's rotation speed to 28 degrees per frame makes each shot fire 68 degrees away from the previous one, meaning that there are 90 different locations that it will shoot, each 4 degrees apart. 90 is the most possible because it shoots every four frames, but having more wouldn't really do anything at this point anyway.

There is a reason I chose 28 instead of one of the many other numbers that would give 90 positions, but it's kind of awkward to explain so I'll just link you to this Desmos graph where you can drag the "t" slider and see for yourself. The goal is an even distribution of shots.

...that's really all I have to say, you already explained everything else.

Last edited:

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I can do better.

Changing the sprinkler's rotation speed to 28 degrees per frame makes each shot fire 68 degrees away from the previous one, meaning that there are 90 different locations that it will shoot, each 4 degrees apart. 90 is the most possible because it shoots every four frames, but having more wouldn't really do anything at this point anyway.

There is a reason I chose 28 instead of one of the many other numbers that would give 90 positions, but it's kind of awkward to explain so I'll just link you to this Desmos graph where you can drag the "t" slider and see for yourself. The goal is an even distribution of shots.

...that's really all I have to say, you already explained everything else.
Well played, math squid. However, I think 90 different firing directions seems a bit excessive. The sprinkler would only shoot in a given direction a few times before reaching medium power. After messing with your graph a bit, I found that a 24 degree per frame rotation would lead to 30 different firing directions with 12 degrees between shots, a perfect middle ground.
I will be editing my post, and I'll make sure to give you credit. Thanks for the resource.

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
as a sprinkler veteran (I used to play Aerospray RG) I could see that but I just ignored it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom