This game has turned into Call of Duty...

Rex

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xerhid
So you think with people levelling up and becoming pro they would focus more on getting turf right? Nope. They still want to hunt people down and kill them. It's gotten very hard to get points because of this. Everyone just wants to be a hero and get splatted. I mean c'mon. I know aggressive play helps to win, but try being more strategic.
I understand what you're saying. There are numerous times when players go out of their way to splat others, even when they could have easily scored my points by painting. Yeah, yeah, there are times when taking out the other player prevents them...I am not talking about those. While splatting others often does help your team win, the OP does have a valid point. Hopefully the game won't devolve into something like CoD or Halo.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Citation needed

Why shouldn't the person with superior aim be rewarded? I like bring rewarded when I use the blaster personally. The view that everyone should have an equal chance of winning is not liked by much as far as I'm aware. All it does is punish skilled players, which is why I dislike Mario Kart's rubberbanding. It's like SJWs, sort of, how they want equality and try to force people to disregard weights while choosing a partner. Hard work should be rewarded, and being chosen is should be earned, not handed. But that's just what I think.
It's an endless discussion. People will never come to agreement over this.
So i won't even try.

Sure in a direct firefight, the person with better aim should be rewarded.

But at the same time, I feel there are maps that should have more options of moving around.
Some that involve sneaking around and avoid hot zones.
Stealth is not easy. So successfully pulling that off should be rewarded as well.
Especially if you manage a stealth kill.

Syrek

Grandmaster of Splating
NNID
Mychal
I wouldn't say it's turned into Call of Duty. Instead, many players have adopted Call of Duty like play styles, which is truly unfortunate. From focusing more on kills rather than inking the ground or completing an objective, to using cheap tactics to win, it's becoming rather sad to see certain players turn this unique shooter into something it's clearly not meant to be. Hopefully, said players will be punished more and more as the game continues to grow and evolve, rewarding players who focus on the objective and splating opponents equally.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This anti-splatting the opponent attitude some people in the Splatoon community have is really weird. It is a shooter, killing other is part of the objective and by killing the opponents, you are hindering their progress. It is completely pointless to ink the ground without killing as many opponent Inklings as possible, since otherwise they can just re-ink the area you had inked.

skyphoi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
melancholywish
As others have said, I think a good balance of both is required in order to win. I think this argument is also a bit redundant considering all of the different approaches your team can take when playing in turf wars... maybe you just happen to be facing a lot of teams with a more offensive approach? Personally, I see all kinds of strategies in random turf war matches. The only really overbearing/irritating one I've personally seen is when the whole opposing team goes after one player.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Denying the other team ink is functionally equivalent to inking the same amount of turf yourself. And in many situations, the former is easier and/or more efficient, and then gives you more room to continue doing the latter too. Remember, the goal isn't to ink as much as possible, but simply to ink more than the other team does. Do whatever works to accomplish that goal, don't get hung up on silly preconceived notions of how the game should or shouldn't be played.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
The problem is that it defeats the purpose, that Nintendo intended.
Plus, people who play just for fun and to paint, since they cannot aim well and lose in a direct firefight, get the short end of the stick.

Nintendo always has been about equality. Equal chances to win for everyone, regardless of skill.
Like it always has been present in games like Mario Kart.

In Regular Turf Wars, they should stick true to that mindset and do something to keep the equality.
Please no, that would totally ruin Splatoon. Splatoon is equal chances, you can be bad and still win because of the nature of the game. If someone is WAY better they will win anyway no matter what, same in Mario Kart. You can't handhold forever, and the SNES/NES games prove this isn't necessary. ( Super Mario Bros., Super Metroid ect; )

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
I wouldn't say it's turned into Call of Duty. Instead, many players have adopted Call of Duty like play styles, which is truly unfortunate. From focusing more on kills rather than inking the ground or completing an objective, to using cheap tactics to win, it's becoming rather sad to see certain players turn this unique shooter into something it's clearly not meant to be. Hopefully, said players will be punished more and more as the game continues to grow and evolve, rewarding players who focus on the objective and splating opponents equally.
I would like to know what these cheap tactics that you speak of are.

ZestyN

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ZestyN
I really don't see what OP is talking about here. Aggressive play is pretty necessary to winning turf wars especially in places like Moray Towers where it can easily turn into a stagnant camp fest. Plus if people want to play aggressively I don't see why that'd be a problem. If killing(splatting) wasn't supposed to be part of the "point" it probably wouldn't have made it in the final cut.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Turf wars is a very casual mode, people are going to **** around in it more especially since you can join friends

Even then, kills are important in turf because you need to stop the other team from inking too. Probably more important than other modes as the less people = the more turf you'll cover
Just because it isn't part of the ranked modes it doesn't man turf wars is casual, you know.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I would like to know what these cheap tactics that you speak of are.
I'd guess "Surprise Krakens/Bubblers/Inkzookas", "Post-match Inkstrikes", "Constant Backdooring" or "Ledge Peeking" (which even got a video posted somewhere here), which can be pretty annoying to say the least

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Going strictly "for kills" is a determent in any mode not just Turf. I've had people be too focused on kills in TC to get on the tower or to protect/secure the zone in SZ. The objective be it the tower, zone, map, etc. isn't the highest or best K/D ratio. In TC and SZ you often have to kill (or at the very least push back temporarily) the other team before securing point/tower however in Turf you don't have to engage enemy until you happen to run into them. Kills for sure helps in turf however like ranked modes the only way in turf kills truly shut down the other team is if you get a spawn camp going. Hunting down the other team without spreading ink isn't helping your teammates. Not that you have to play passively however, kills shouldn't be treated like the main objective regardless.

I'd guess "Surprise Krakens/Bubblers/Inkzookas", "Post-match Inkstrikes", "Constant Backdooring" or "Ledge Peeking" (which even got a video posted somewhere here), which can be pretty annoying to say the least
I'd say those are just playing the game smart. I don't see anything cheap about that. Cheap would be someone lagging intentionally not doing something unexpected.

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
I myself have never really had the notion that just kills gets you the game in Turf War. I've seen many people JUST go for kills and still loose the overall game because they loose sight of the prime goal, which is to get Turf. I myself do splat enemies if required to stall out their goal to further our team's goal, but I never overextend to get a kill when I could have been roaming elsewhere to grab an area. I got my team's goals in mind at all times. Do I back off a loosing fight to get Turf, or do I go in anyways and get splatted and be out of the game for a good 8 seconds? I'm gonna choose the former and hope I get out of that confrontation.

Auregash

Inkling
NNID
mgeritz89
Killing but getting everything inked isn't playing it wrong, and just shooting doesn't make any game Call of Duty. I don't think the OP has played many shooter genre games, sorry.
I also think that Splatoon is not nearly the same as Call of Duty. The game is not a Warsimulation, its a fun game of Squids with Inkweapons.
I think that some Players are not getting the Point that playing Spaltoon is not about the success, its about playing together an have fun.

And thats the Problem in some fights, in that Hardcore Successgamers destroy the fun.
Thats why i see the situation in Spaltoon

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Wow this thread sure brought out a lot of different opinions on here. I just want to thank you all for letting me hear your thoughts on this topic. From going just for kills to doing 50/50, or avoiding confrontation completely. I made this thread just because I recently was in a lot of matches where I kept getting the highest score while my teamates and the opposing team got low scores but lots of kills and splats. I guess playing late at night brings out the competitive side in all of us lol.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
How are any of these cheap in any definition of the word? Are you not supposed to use your special ability or positional advantage you have?

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Just because of the fact that there's levels and 'aggressive' players doesn't mean this game is now CoD. I think that's an insult to Nintendo. I for one play very aggressively; does this mean I'm doing the wrong thing? You can't win a match without someone being killed. Sure it's not necessary, but it's still extremely critical to the outcome of the match. Can't expect to play a game and have nobody die the entire time. That wouldn't be fun at all. Focusing solely on the objective whether it is turf war or ranked will not win you the game. What will is splatting other people and then worrying about what you need to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom