• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

This game has turned into Call of Duty...

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
imo kills are very key factors when playing in ranked. However for turf war you are 110% correct. turf>kills
At the same time it can be a problem in ranked when no one wants to play the objective. I think it is also important in ranked to lay a lot of your ink down because that is your escape routes and places to hide as well as it charging your special and hindering your opponents.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
I agree, especially against good rollers. If they have alot of paint down, it'll help the assassin type players to have alot of area to cover. (Rollers, brushes, etc)

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
Man, Rollers are my kryptonite. I just can't shake them off no matter how hard I try to counter their style. The fling seems to always catch me no matter how far I am, there is always one right beside me that just comes dropping down like a hammer of Thor, and Krak-On Roller is so surprising when the Kraken is unleashed. Dynamo I can fair well with just because of the upswing it holds them up in. The other rollers, pfft...good luck to me :rolleyes:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Man, Rollers are my kryptonite. I just can't shake them off no matter how hard I try to counter their style. The fling seems to always catch me no matter how far I am, there is always one right beside me that just comes dropping down like a hammer of Thor, and Krak-On Roller is so surprising when the Kraken is unleashed. Dynamo I can fair well with just because of the upswing it holds them up in. The other rollers, pfft...good luck to me :rolleyes:
Yeah, I share your pain. I can't even counter Dynamos effectively because I never get out of their range quickly enough. Probably because I still try to shoot them down before they bring the hurt on.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
There is one big thing that is holding this game from being call of duty...

Splatoon has one game.

CoD has 10 games.

Reactions: 1o2

Mr.HawK

The Artist
Trust me nintendo is not going to make splatoon an annual game like most of the franchises. If anything they will do what theyve done with smash and MK.

Also, people need to understand that kills, coverage (inking the ground), and team work in general are the most inportant factors of this game. If kills didnt matter then why did they make a shooter in the first place. Covering the ground is VERY important to any game mode, how else can you manuver yourself in a way that benefits yourself and your team? oh and speaking of teams, ive seen a lot of groups not use any communicatin whatsoever. especially in Ink or Sink. That is kind of an issue.

but all in all splatoon is not call of duty. Trust me if i wanted to play a constantly milked series id rather buy a carton at stop and shop....

natakazam

Inkling
The problem is that it defeats the purpose, that Nintendo intended.
Plus, people who play just for fun and to paint, since they cannot aim well and lose in a direct firefight, get the short end of the stick.

Nintendo always has been about equality. Equal chances to win for everyone, regardless of skill.
Like it always has been present in games like Mario Kart.

In Regular Turf Wars, they should stick true to that mindset and do something to keep the equality.
well they should probably find another game, because it IS a shooter, and killing is an effective strategy even in turf wars. it's not "unfair" that they don't get special treatment because they aren't good at the game.

The Beta versions of the maps used to be huge and open (their is a thread on here showing images of beta maps) and they seemed to change them to be smaller and have more cover for the finished game.

Yet Judd says to capture and defend chokepoints on the map to ensure victory. Killing isn't the objective, but I don't think I have gone through many turf war matches where I didn't splat someone. Sometimes you even have to go out of your way to avoid people. I have noticed that players are more kill hungry in TF lately, but there are many times where it seems like your team mates are focused on kills and get wiped out and you have little turf actually inked. I think a larger problem is when people over-extend or they don't know when to retreat. It's better to stay a live then have to wait to respawn and travel all the way back. (Sometimes it is even best to super jump back to spawn than to die and wait to respawn.)
Can you please link to me that topic, with the beta vs. final release? I would really appreciate it.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
~Stop ranking in turf wars~

Pretty much says it all, i have been paired up with level 40's and above in turf wars, and they are extremely great in splatting the opponents, the downside is that half of our "base" is uncovered, and if i go back and turf that, they will be down with one squad member on the front, pretty much making me believe that i'm making us lose because i'm not as aggressive as them, or they lose all turf the last 15 seconds of the game.

I usually MVP with no splats or getting splatted at all at around 900 to 1300 every round, my teammates have barely 500 or less on their belt but with 10 or above splats on their status, it's impressive, but if we lose, i'm just gonna get my impressed face to my disappoint face immediately.

The better people get in ranked, the worse they get in turfing, so yes i'm impressed that people have forgotten how to play the most basic mode.

~Ink the most turf to win~
~Ink the most turf~
~Ink turf to win~
~Ink turf~

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pretty much says it all, i have been paired up with level 40's and above in turf wars, and they are extremely great in splatting the opponents, the downside is that half of our "base" is uncovered, and if i go back and turf that, they will be down with one squad member on the front, pretty much making me believe that i'm making us lose because i'm not as aggressive as them, or they lose all turf the last 15 seconds of the game.

I usually MVP with no splats or getting splatted at all at around 900 to 1300 every round, my teammates have barely 500 or less on their belt but with 10 or above splats on their status, it's impressive, but if we lose, i'm just gonna get my impressed face to my disappoint face immediately.
That sounds like most of my games. But to be honest, I don't really care; I mean, if they can keep the enemy at bay I can paint to my heart's content and level up my gear/Inkling while at it. In the past month or so I think the lowest score I've achieved was about 700+ in a match against an uneven team where they couldn't push very far.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
The better people get in ranked, the worse they get in turfing, so yes i'm impressed that people have forgotten how to play the most basic mode.
I think this is partly thanks to the weapons these people use. Apart from the Tentatek all common weapons in ranked aren't really good at covering turf quickly.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I don't think the TC was talking about the general point of Turf War itself (Both splatting/inking there is important, the latter can be easy to forget sometimes) and more about the general attitude of the playerbase itself. And to be fair the splatoon fanbase can get very salty/arrogant sometimes (I don't mean the people in this thread, more like the people from r/saltoon), but it's allmost a given in any multiplayer shooter that some people end up taking the game way too seriously.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I don't think the TC was talking about the general point of Turf War itself (Both splatting/inking there is important, the latter can be easy to forget sometimes) and more about the general attitude of the playerbase itself. And to be fair the splatoon fanbase can get very salty/arrogant sometimes (I don't mean the people in this thread, more like the people from r/saltoon), but it's allmost a given in any multiplayer shooter that some people end up taking the game way too seriously.
You can't get away from this, this exists in all kind of online games.
And pretty much the main reason why we don't have in-game voice chat too.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
These days if I get the PVP-heavy players from Ranked in my Turf War match I leave it to them to keep opponents off my back while I go around grabbing turf like a boss.

oval

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Weatie
Switch Friend Code
SW-0864-5796-0493
Isn't there an algorithm to match you with people closest to your playstyle?

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Isn't there an algorithm to match you with people closest to your playstyle?
According to Nintendo there is, but I'm not sure if there's proof of its existence or, in case it does exist, if it works as intended

Karonax

Octobrushinobi
NNID
Karonax
According to Nintendo there is, but I'm not sure if there's proof of its existence or, in case it does exist, if it works as intended
Something determines match-ups... My brother bought his own Wii U finally, and he's level 7 and he's always queued with levels 25+ after playing a day. So it somehow takes into account how skilled you are. What it believes is "skill" has yet to be confirmed.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Something determines match-ups... My brother bought his own Wii U finally, and he's level 7 and he's always queued with levels 25+ after playing a day. So it somehow takes into account how skilled you are. What it believes is "skill" has yet to be confirmed.
On the other hand, whenever I go into turf wars I literally breeze through anyone and everyone after playing ranked. When I'm playing on point, (outside of Splatfests) I don't think I've ever been challenged by anyone in Turf. Now that doesn't mean I don't lose, it just means that no one is really quite on my level. Please don't take it as if i'm bragging, but it's just the truth. So I too wonder how it defines "skill" in the algorithm.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
This game wont turn into call of duty, but I know that this thread has turned into a subreddit.....

JUST PLAY THE GAME

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Yup. Pretty much

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom