• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

This game needs a longer single player mode, and 4 player splitscreen local multiplayer

BronzeGreekGod

Inkster Jr.
It's a shame the game is missing those two aspects. I originally was very excited to buy it, but as soon as I heard there was no splitscreen I backed out. And then furthermore i heard the single player was insanely short, so that deterred me even further. They really need to do some DLC to add more single player stuff and splitscreen. There's no excuse for not having those options, and I'm sure their sales would come close to doubling if they added that kind of content.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
I really don't think adding split-screen would double sales.

Also, GamePad and TV is much better than split-screen.

NNID
Sarki241
Seeing how poorly the replay value is distributed across all three modes, I am in favor of this. This game's online multiplayer is too focused and it happens to be the most robust aspect of the game. It really sucks for those in areas with poor Wi_Fi (especially bucolic parts of the country) or have an unstable Internet connection, who won't be tided over by a half-baked single player campaign and 1-v-1 balloon popping duels. This game's appeal is so insular despite its success.

I bet it won't be easy getting one either, as i'd suspect you'd run into CPU problems and I'm not sure how far they're willing to increase the file size.

I would prefer their be a 5-player splitscreen (up to 4 on TV, 1 on Gamepad) version of Turf War and Splat Zones with AI automatically filtering slots unoccupied by players.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Mm, I could see them adding a 2-player modes with two gamepads. Actually, Nintendo might end up announcing it at E3.

Not much of a point in making the campaign longer though. The game is about playing online. And honestly, any more of the campaign and it'd just be repetitive. It's fun and all, but there's not much else that can be done with the gameplay without other players.

NNID
Sarki241
Honestly, I don't think a campaign was even necessary. Besides, all the level gimmicks found in there would've really freshened up multiplayer maps!

BronzeGreekGod

Inkster Jr.
I really don't think adding split-screen would double sales.

Also, GamePad and TV is much better than split-screen.
Lol how is gamepad and tv better than split screen? What if i wana play with 4 people? The option should be available IF i want to use it. I'm not sayiing REMOVE the gamepad option.. in fact u should be able to play with 5 (YES a whole FIVE) people using the gamepad. What a concept.

Plus, the gamepad option only offers one game mode. I wana be able to play all of the game modes with my friends in my living room. I play games socially, not with people i cant see. That isn't fun to me. That being said I DO also think EVERY game should have online gaming options, and those options should be more adverse as well. Just cause I don't prefer online doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option.. same as my points for 4 player split screen.

Maybe saying it would double sales is over shooting, but a lot more people would buy it, and honestly even if it did nothing to sales, it should still be an option.. like EVERY other game on a nintendo console EVER.

But also, having a deeper single player mode would bring more customers as well. People like single player challenges, especially with these new awesoome mechanics that splatoon provides. I'd love a full single player game with splatoons mechanics.

Seeing how poorly the replay value is distributed across all three modes, I am in favor of this. This game's online multiplayer is too focused and it happens to be the most robust aspect of the game. It really sucks for those in areas with poor Wi_Fi (especially bucolic parts of the country) or have an unstable Internet connection, who won't be tided over by a half-baked single player campaign and 1-v-1 balloon popping duels. This game's appeal is so insular despite its success.

I bet it won't be easy getting one either, as i'd suspect you'd run into CPU problems and I'm not sure how far they're willing to increase the file size.

I would prefer their be a 5-player splitscreen (up to 4 on TV, 1 on Gamepad) version of Turf War and Splat Zones with AI automatically filtering slots unoccupied by players.
Well again.. options right? Why not make local multiplayer where you can have bots.. and then also have local splitscreen coupled with online play? Give your audience ALL OF THE OPTIONS, and they will decide how they wana play.

And for filesize.. thats why DLC would work for this. Then the limitations in filesize would be quite limited.

LuxLuxora

Full Squid
NNID
LuxLuxora
...There's no excuse for not having those options, and I'm sure their sales would come close to doubling if they added that kind of content.

Nintendo is known as the family console. Many families buy Nintendo consoles simply because they know to expect multi-player games. This expectation was established by multi-player game series such as Mario Party, Mario Kart, Nintendo Land, Super Smash, 3D World, etc. We should assume there were definite reasons Nintendo opted out of a multi-player feature for Splatoon. A likely reason is that Nintendo wanted to present their new IP at the highest quality for a good first impression. Both Inkopolis and matchmaking are rendered in1080p 60fps. Split screening would likely result in a drop in frame rate; as seen by Mario Kart 8 having only 30fps when not in single player. This is not a negative attribute since other consoles can hardly render 1080p in the first place.

Nintendo may eventually patch the game to include split screen play. We should understand in the meanwhile that Nintendo likely desired their new game to have an amazing first impression. Nintendo is wearing makeup for a first date; give it some time and we may eventually see Splatoon without it. :)

Edit: 1080p not 1090p.
Edit: Inb4 corrected about Mario Kart 8 not having quad-screen....

Last edited:

Kallo

Inkling
NNID
KalloJin
While I understand why people want a 4 player split screen and want a longer single player, this game was made to be a online shooter it was the vision from the start (or at least that's the impression I got from the Q&A's and other promo material) so there is an excuse to for it or rather it's not an excuse the game was just envisioned with a slightly different market or maybe it's Nintendo's way of seeing if the audience that has a Wii U really wants more online focused content and if it could bring in a bigger crowd (the latter is speculation of course).

NNID
Sarki241
Nintendo is known as the family console. Many families buy Nintendo consoles simply because they know to expect multi-player games. This expectation was established by multi-player game series such as Mario Party, Mario Kart, Nintendo Land, Super Smash, 3D World, etc. We should assume there were definite reasons Nintendo opted out of a multi-player feature for Splatoon. A likely reason is that Nintendo wanted to present their new IP at the highest quality for a good first impression. Both Inkopolis and matchmaking are rendered in1080p 60fps. Split screening would likely result in a drop in frame rate; as seen by Mario Kart 8 having only 30fps when not in single player. This is not a negative attribute since other consoles can hardly render 1080p in the first place.

Nintendo may eventually patch the game to include split screen play. We should understand in the meanwhile that Nintendo likely desired their new game to have an amazing first impression. Nintendo is wearing makeup for a first date; give it some time and we may eventually see Splatoon without it. :)

Edit: 1080p not 1090p.
Edit: Inb4 corrected about Mario Kart 8 not having quad-screen....
Really? Holding back your game's accessibility for the sake of PWETTY GRAPHIX!? No offense, but Nintendo has never thought like this for any game they've ever released. Doing that for something so superficial will truncate your game's replay value, especially for a multiplayer game.

Mario Kart 8 had splitscreen available since launch, so I see no problem reducing the resolution just to make it work.

NNID
Sarki241
We've all seen how hype this game can be, right? Now imagine that at a party or a tourney. I reaaaaally want to create all those salty memories with others. Thanks no voice chat!

Really? Holding back your game's accessibility for the sake of PWETTY GRAPHIX!? No offense, but Nintendo has never thought like this for any game they've ever released. Doing that for something so superficial will truncate your game's replay value, especially for a multiplayer game.

Mario Kart 8 had splitscreen available since launch, so I see no problem reducing the resolution just to make it work.
You just don't like my blatantly brusque tone. Sorry if I'm coming off too rude. Nevertheless, if you want to debate this, go off my counterpoint from the second line of that post of mine you quoted.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
4/5-player splitscreen would have been an awesome addition. But I'm sure if they could have done it, they would have done it. I personally wish there was an option to play online with friends on the same console, like Mario Kart 8 and Smash.

BronzeGreekGod

Inkster Jr.
We should assume there were definite reasons Nintendo opted out of a multi-player feature for Splatoon.
My concern is that they're trying to be "with the times" and do an online only (mostly) game. I hope they do decide to put out some patches though. I'd love to pick up a copy to play with my buddies.

Four or five player wouldn't work without significant changes due to the Gamepad controls I'm afraid. You'd need a whole separate mode, like with the Battle Dojo.
The gamepad really doesnt play that important a part in the game. You could easily alter the controls on the wiimote/nunchucks and it would work fine/better

While I understand why people want a 4 player split screen and want a longer single player, this game was made to be a online shooter it was the vision from the start (or at least that's the impression I got from the Q&A's and other promo material) so there is an excuse to for it or rather it's not an excuse the game was just envisioned with a slightly different market or maybe it's Nintendo's way of seeing if the audience that has a Wii U really wants more online focused content and if it could bring in a bigger crowd (the latter is speculation of course).
Poor vision. Every game that can be played online can also be played in splitscreen, and vice versa. The best would be splitscreen and online put together at the same time.

4/5-player splitscreen would have been an awesome addition. But I'm sure if they could have done it, they would have done it. I personally wish there was an option to play online with friends on the same console, like Mario Kart 8 and Smash.
Theres no way they CANT do it. Theres only.. ehh its too much work. That is the only reason ever. Literally ANYTHING can be done with games at this point, so i dont wana hear "cant be done" ever.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
My concern is that they're trying to be "with the times" and do an online only (mostly) game. I hope they do decide to put out some patches though. I'd love to pick up a copy to play with my buddies.

The gamepad really doesnt play that important a part in the game. You could easily alter the controls on the wiimote/nunchucks and it would work fine/better

Poor vision. Every game that can be played online can also be played in splitscreen, and vice versa. The best would be splitscreen and online put together at the same time.

Theres no way they CANT do it. Theres only.. ehh its too much work. That is the only reason ever. Literally ANYTHING can be done with games at this point, so i dont wana hear "cant be done" ever.
Beakons and Inkstrikes without compromising anything? Or how are you going to have somebody using the Gamepad and the Wiimote player see the map without some godawful map button? Even with only four players, how could somebody play with dual analog without comprise?

BronzeGreekGod

Inkster Jr.
Beakons and Inkstrikes without compromising anything? Or how are you going to have somebody using the Gamepad and the Wiimote player see the map without some godawful map button? Even with only four players, how could somebody play with dual analog without comprise?
You dont even need dual analog. You know how theres the centering button to re position the screen? That could simply be a "stop following movement of wiimote" button (in fact thats what it should be for the gamepad anyway). This would make the wiimote function just like a mouse in a 3d space. Or you could just switch the controls to basically metroid prime controls when using a wiimote.

Maps... have been done in countless splitscreen fps games, it could be done again. They work just fine on the tv screen and really dont need to be super extensive. Its a compromise people could live with - no problem.

Ink strikes.. hmmm tough one. But wait heres a solution.. Remove them from splitscreen multiplayer. Mind blown?
If you LOVE ink strikes, dont play splitscreen. If you dont care then play splitscreen. Lots of splitscreen games remove certain mechanics that wouldnt work as well.
Options are a great thing!

Also, that was just the first thing that came to mind. I'm sure there are other solutions out there.. And actually im going to be honest, since i havent played the game (other than the demo), im not sure how ink strikes work... so if you could give me a briefing on the mechanics, perhaps i could come up with another great solution.

EDIT: Oh theres also this option to solve all problems... Multiple gamepads. If you and your friends have wiiU's, then you just all bring your gamepads to one persons place and boom you can play with 0 limitations.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
You dont even need dual analog. You know how theres the centering button to re position the screen? That could simply be a "stop following movement of wiimote" button (in fact thats what it should be for the gamepad anyway). This would make the wiimote function just like a mouse in a 3d space. Or you could just switch the controls to basically metroid prime controls when using a wiimote.

Maps... have been done in countless splitscreen fps games, it could be done again. They work just fine on the tv screen and really dont need to be super extensive. Its a compromise people could live with - no problem.

Ink strikes.. hmmm tough one. But wait heres a solution.. Remove them from splitscreen multiplayer. Mind blown?
If you LOVE ink strikes, dont play splitscreen. If you dont care then play splitscreen. Lots of splitscreen games remove certain mechanics that wouldnt work as well.
Options are a great thing!

Also, that was just the first thing that came to mind. I'm sure there are other solutions out there.. And actually im going to be honest, since i havent played the game (other than the demo), im not sure how ink strikes work... so if you could give me a briefing on the mechanics, perhaps i could come up with another great solution.
Then you'll have people complaining they have to use gimmick controls instead of the lack of multiplayer. Try again.

One of the biggest aspects of Splatoon is the detailed map. There's going to be tons of aimless walking without it. It's completely necessary.

So now they have to replace the Inkstrike on all those weapons with something balanced, Beakons too. They both require the touchscreen's map for use, and a fidgety menu would make them useless.

The problem is that adding all these features wouldn't effect sales enough to justify their inclusion. The game was made, advertised, and sold as an online multiplayer game. Personally, that's where I want to see the dev time go. Not on watered-down gameplay that you'd mess around with for a week before going back to Smash and Mario Kart. It's like how the cheesy 2-player modes of yesteryear went the way of the dinosaurs.

BronzeGreekGod

Inkster Jr.
Then you'll have people complaining they have to use gimmick controls instead of the lack of multiplayer. Try again.

One of the biggest aspects of Splatoon is the detailed map. There's going to be tons of aimless walking without it. It's completely necessary.

So now they have to replace the Inkstrike on all those weapons with something balanced, Beakons too. They both require the touchscreen's map for use, and a fidgety menu would make them useless.

The problem is that adding all these features wouldn't effect sales enough to justify their inclusion. The game was made, advertised, and sold as an online multiplayer game. Personally, that's where I want to see the dev time go. Not on watered-down gameplay that you'd mess around with for a week before going back to Smash and Mario Kart. It's like how the cheesy 2-player modes of yesteryear went the way of the dinosaurs.
No one would be complaining cause they dont HAVE to play that way. Options Options Options OPTIONSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

And what is gimmicky about those controls? They would be the BEST alternative period. Oh and i can go another step forward.. you dont wana play with the wiimote? You can use the pro controler.. BWWWAAAAAAAAA more options?? HOLY CRAP! ... But no, the game sucks now cause you're giving us all these options! I dont wana play this game any more with all these options! RabbleRabbleRabble.

Excuse my sarcasm, but i have trouble dealing with things when people come up with excuses for games' shortcomings.
Furthermore, I DID mention the BILLIONTH option of everyone bringing their own gamepad to one place if they really wana play splitscreen with their gamepad.

About the map - that is arguable. Every game can benefit from a detailed map. In a perfect world every game would have a detailed map for everyone all the time. But this isnt a perfect world... though... again - want a detailed map? Bring your gamepad!

As i mentioned about ink strikes.. remove them completely if they require a map so badly (or bring a gamepad to play with ink strikes). Although, i think it could work fine without the gamepad. You can jump in a beakon and then your screen (only your screen) can have a map pop up on it and you can use the wiimote to point and click what part of the map you wana hit or whatever. Then when you click it switches back to the normal screen. And thennnn, give us the.. uh oh theres that word again.. OPTION of turning (modified) ink strikes ON or OFF.

Heres ANOTHER option. If you or the developers don't think that keeping the same game modes would work in splitscreen multiplayer, how about create different game modes? How about an every man for himself game mode where you simply have to paint the most ground by the time the clock gets to 0? How about 2 on 2? How about "who can cover X amount of land first"? How about a deathmatch/team deathmatch? How about first to X amount of kills? How about a sort of tag game with a paint spin to it? How about a racing mode where you can race in paint and then shoot your paint into the opponents paint screwing them over? How about your team vs the cpu? I just came up with those all right now. A game developer can sit down and think of great game modes that would be different from the MAIN game, but still would be fun to play in the living room. The main goals would be slightly different from what you would be playing online, but it would still be a lot of fun. And then you can also have the OPTION of playing normal turf wars and other modes, with whatever modifications are needed. Unless everyone brings a gamepad - then everyone can play the game the way its "meant to be played" locally.

I definitely dont think making those adjustments would water down the gameplay that much (or at all), and also adding those features would be minimal work compared to the other work put into the game, so i dont think "resources" are an issue. As a game company you should be ALWAYS giving your customers as many different avenues to play and have fun as possible. My favourite shooter games are the ones that have tones of game modes to play. When you get bored of one, theres always another to try out. And who says people would only mess with local multiplayer for a week? A large number of people would ONLY play local multiplayer and/or local X online multiplayer. Thats all I would do, and I'm pretty sure im not the only one on the planet that would prefer that.

And lastly, i dont think you argued against this, but single player absolutely needs more to it. It looks like a lota fun, but im not gona pay 70 bucks or whatever for 4 hours of gameplay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom