This Isn't Super Smash Bros. 5

Setu

Since most of this site is coming from Smashboards, let me just be the first to say that this isn't another smash bros game, and therefore shouldn't be treated as such. There is a huge difference between a mainly 1v1 competitive game and 4v4 team gaming. So I plead that we don't constantly relate to it. I understand that this site is linked to smashboards but I just feel like this needed to be pointed out.

Besides that, what game do you guys think The creative/unique Splatoon would be most easily relatable to?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I think this can be related to Smash in a lot of ways. Also, 1v1s exist in Splatoon and 4v4s exist in Smash Bros. The community is mostly the same, and the forums follow the same basic format. Don't be surprised to find a lot of similarities in the community. Anyone who has a Wii U and is getting Splatoon has like a 90% chance of already having Smash Bros.

Last edited:

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
Shooters obv.

Team Fortress 2 is probably a fair comparison:
  • The varying weapon types may as well be separate classes.
  • Said "class" viability will probably vary by gamemode.
  • Team balance is probably going to be very important.
  • There are variations of the base weapons.
  • Three types of weaponry: Primary, Secondary, Melee [TF2] VS Main, Sub, Super [Splatoon]
  • HATS

Last edited:

Aura

Infiltrator
Thank you for clarifying this. Who knows where we would of drifted without your aid. :p

But seriously, I think I see where you're coming from, but I hardly believe it's worth addressing. The differences between Splatoon and Smash Bros is pretty well known by now.

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
Shooters obv.

• Three types of weaponry: Primary, Secondary, Melee [TF2] VS Main, Sub, Super [Splatoon]
  • HATS
This, and that one turf war game on Xbox 360... I can't for the life of me think of its name, but I remember the goal, like Splatoon, was to cover the map in your team's ink. You used your Xbox Avatar as your character in that game. Does anyone know the name of it?

Another comparison might be arena shooters like Quake... kind of. Obviously, weapons don't work the same way. What makes me think of arena shooters is how crucial movement is. In Quake, movement is the most important thing -- from dodging to mobility, you have to keep moving and move wisely. The same will be true in Splatoon. Movement will still be vastly different, but just as important.

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
Since most of this site is coming from Smashboards, let me just be the first to say that this isn't another smash bros game, and therefore shouldn't be treated as such. There is a huge difference between a mainly 1v1 competitive game and 4v4 team gaming. So I plead that we don't constantly relate to it. I understand that this site is linked to smashboards but I just feel like this needed to be pointed out.

Besides that, what game do you guys think The creative/unique Splatoon would be most easily relatable to?
Nah nah nah m8, you don't know what you are talking about, this IS Smash 5

But real talk tho..... no ****?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Shooters obv.

• HATS
coming from competitive tf2, there are some similarities, but honestly splatoon is very creative and unique and pretty hard to draw a comparison beyond the ones you listed

i think that's why we're all excited for it!

Reactions: AEM

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
coming from competitive tf2, there are some similarities, but honestly splatoon is very creative and unique and pretty hard to draw a comparison beyond the ones you listed

i think that's why we're all excited for it!
At the end of the day it's a shooter that focuses on covering ground rather than killing opponents. I don't think there is any other shooter that is quite like that.
It's main similarities to TF2 are Capture Point and the RPG elements applied into the loadout. Though Splatoon follows that more since the cosmetics actually do something for your Inkling (rip item sets).

Also you play competitive? I did that once for one highlander season, got knocked out after three matches. Was pretty enjoyable though.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
At the end of the day it's a shooter that focuses on covering ground rather than killing opponents. I don't think there is any other shooter that is quite like that.
It's main similarities to TF2 are Capture Point and the RPG elements applied into the loadout. Though Splatoon follows that more since the cosmetics actually do something for your Inkling (rip item sets).

Also you play competitive? I did that once for one highlander season, got knocked out after three matches. Was pretty enjoyable though.
never played a complete season, but i've done a lot of scrims with friends and consider myself to be pretty good at the game despite having burnout

honestly splatoons biggest resemblance to tf2 is just stylistically, and maybe in the fact that movement is going to be a core skill in the game (what with squid form and there being techniques like splatterhopping)

Reactions: AEM

Lozjam

Inkster Jr.
People are going to love Splatoon because it isn't smash.
Splatoon is the first Nintendo-made game that is meant to be highly competitive in a higher state, and it is going to be treated that way! That's why we are all excited! Unlike Smash, this game was made to appease hardcore players, while making it easy to have a newcomer join by other means. That's why we are all here!

This game is basically Smash with a different logo and a different coat of paint. Same bells and whistles with a gimmicky squid motif. It's been done before in Mario and Zelda and is just a rehash of the same formula. So it's 5ma5h.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
What is with this isn't smash toward the smash community coming through? people haven't even tried to treat as such.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Yeah, guess you are the first to point that out. Good job.

...Hm, I wonder if there's a way to get Smash 4 4v4s to become territory-based.

RamOne

Inkling
I'm glad it isn't. There's no need for another board where flame wars are too common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom