This Isn't Super Smash Bros. 5

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
Since most of this site is coming from Smashboards, let me just be the first to say that this isn't another smash bros game, and therefore shouldn't be treated as such. There is a huge difference between a mainly 1v1 competitive game and 4v4 team gaming. So I plead that we don't constantly relate to it. I understand that this site is linked to smashboards but I just feel like this needed to be pointed out.

Besides that, what game do you guys think The creative/unique Splatoon would be most easily relatable to?
If we are only relating the creativity/uniqueness then I think Splatoon compares to the Portal series mainly because of the novelty of the interesting mechanics.

Regiruler

Inkster Jr.
no ****

That said any and all arguments based on "we did x in smash" or "this isn't smash" alike should be thrown right in the trash.
Argue something based on it's merits, not how it is or isn't something else.

They should put Roy in as a DLC character.
Or Ryu...

I think Seto was just trying to argue to not approach the game as one would with Smash. It's the legitimate concern as they are obviously two different types of games but with an obviously shared fan base. We don't know what to expect from the competetive value of game so it's easiy to base our assumptions on what we've seen with Smash as we know that competetive scene more than, let's say, TF2. Therefore, it's not a stretch to suggest that we may look more so to the Smash competetive scene at the start. I think that's what Seto was trying to argue against. I don't think Seto was saying that people will literally think this is Smash 5. That's just silly.

If that's makes any sense.

NNID DubaloSeven

Inkster Jr.
This, and that one turf war game on Xbox 360... I can't for the life of me think of its name, but I remember the goal, like Splatoon, was to cover the map in your team's ink. You used your Xbox Avatar as your character in that game. Does anyone know the name of it?
Color Wars was the name. I almost wanna say they aren't comparable though because Color Wars was unpolished uninspired, and all around really bad. The two games share a similar core mechanic in terms of gaining turf but not much more.

NNID DubaloSeven

Inkster Jr.
I think Seto was just trying to argue to not approach the game as one would with Smash. It's the legitimate concern as they are obviously two different types of games but with an obviously shared fan base. We don't know what to expect from the competetive value of game so it's easiy to base our assumptions on what we've seen with Smash as we know that competetive scene more than, let's say, TF2. Therefore, it's not a stretch to suggest that we may look more so to the Smash competetive scene at the start. I think that's what Seto was trying to argue against. I don't think Seto was saying that people will literally think this is Smash 5. That's just silly.

I agree, this is the impression I got too. While I love me some internet sarcasm and all I think alot of people missed that.

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
Color Wars was the name. I almost wanna say they aren't comparable though because Color Wars was unpolished uninspired, and all around really bad. The two games share a similar core mechanic in terms of gaining turf but not much more.
Ah yes, here it is.
It really does look bad, doesn't it? I never really suspected Splatoon devs of ripping of this game. I doubt they ever heard of it. I just figured it was worth mentioning that, technically, Splatoon is not the first to do this kind of turf war thing.

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
Ah yes, here it is.
It really does look bad, doesn't it? I never really suspected Splatoon devs of ripping of this game. I doubt they ever heard of it. I just figured it was worth mentioning that, technically, Splatoon is not the first to do this kind of turf war thing.
Amazing! You learn something new everyday, that actually looks like it could have been pretty decent if more work was put into it.

NNID DubaloSeven

Inkster Jr.
I'm taking a hiatus from Smash Bros. :V
You know, I think I'm gonna take my hiatus from Smash as well. I mean, nobody really knows who I play or even who I am, and I don't really even go to that many tournaments for Smash anyways, but I bet I'd be exhausted if I did. Yeah that sounds right. So yep, I'm taking a well-deserved break from my hypothetical Smash Bros career,but don't worry; I'll return to the scene again sometime only to go 0-2 against a character I don't like and then proceed to whine on SmashBoards alot, followed by another hiatus.

/s

Aura

Infiltrator
Well I mean- I'm not taking, like, a vacation. I'd just like to take a break from Smash Bros and focus on something else.

Last edited:

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Of course there is going to be different things from smash.

However, it still important to note about things from one competitive scene to the other. That doesn't mean do everything exactly the same, but we can certainly get ideas from it and twist it to make it more for Competitive Splatoon.

Setu

Or Ryu...

THANK YOU! Geez, how could someone be ignorant enough to take the title and base opinions off of that one simple statement? Please. I was implying that we are approaching this game like competitive smash in terms of rules/competitive play, not the game itself. Idgaf if somebody doesn't want this thread to exist. That somebody has no power to do so.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well I was fooled.
The only thing I will bring up is let's PLEASE not follow the stupid Smash Bros naming convention of advance tech. It worked st first and than just got dumb, DACUS, DITCIT. Seriously, if what you discovered is longer than "jump cancel" don't continue with that convention and don't name it after yourself, come up with something that describes it but comes off the tounge.
The name "advanced tech" in itself is already dumb and cringe worthy. Man, the Smash community is embarrassing.

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
Well I was fooled.

The name "advanced tech" in itself is already dumb and cringe worthy. Man, the Smash community is embarrassing.
You're kidding right?

There have been way more embarrassing things that has happened in the smash community that isn't the name "advanced tech" lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom